Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-25-2004, 07:55 AM
Elite Fan

Viggo Mortensen - More than just an actor, poet but a PHOTOGRAPHER!

I thought I would open up another thread in appreciation of his photography. I have a couple of his books including Sign Language. I recently ordered The Horse is Good (thanks Phee!!!) and I can't say how I am looking forward to seeing that book!

Sign Language is the popular one because there are images from LOTR on there.

Viggo, like me, seems to be out with his camera. Actually, I think he and I own the same camera. I kept looking at it and thinking, "Hey, that's my camera!" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 02-25-2004, 10:17 AM
Passionate Fan

Speaking as an art student and not just a Viggo fan. I really do love his photography. Although the only things I've ever seen of his work is online though. But they're so beautiful! I hope when I get some more money I can have a darkroom of my own.

Sawyer/Sun | Jack/Sun | Fearless Soul | Seeker |
Old 02-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Part-Time Fan

Can somebody post some of his stuff or tell me where to look to see it please? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks

A Man of Quality is not Threatened by a Woman of Equality!!

Keeper of Orli clone #5
Arrow #317
Old 02-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn_Evenstar:
<STRONG>Speaking as an art student and not just a Viggo fan.</STRONG>
I'm kind art graduate....started off with sketching, painting and sculpture. My dad got me into photography and then videography.

Now I'm in the business as a digital editor. Who says art won't pay off? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 02-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Jazz:
<STRONG>

Now I'm in the business as a digital editor. Who says art won't pay off? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG>
edited

[ 02-27-2004: Message edited Eowyn_Evenstar ]

Old 02-26-2004, 10:09 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn_Evenstar:
<STRONG>

Oh wow! I'm in my final year now so I get suggestions about being a graphic designer or advertiser because that's where the money is. *groans*. I'm into mixing illustration with photography. Can I ask what a videography is?</STRONG>
I come from a family of graphic designer. My dad is one, my sister is going to be one and my grandfather was one. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] All four of us are photographers as well. You can use your photography skills in both graphic designing and advertising. But advertising is where the money is. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Videography is basically film production. I studied post-production, which is editing and special effects.

I can't see Viggo's work! I'm going to try and see if I can see them later and if they will show up!

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 02-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Passionate Fan

Ah I see! thanks for explaining.

I'm not sure why they arent showing up. I can see them. But here's the website I got them from. Viggophile

Old 02-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Fan

I know that the person who runs that Viggophile site has had major issues with people hotlinking stuff in the past and as a result they nearly had to shut down the site. So they've probably disabled hotlinking now, which is a bit of a bugger if you wanna post pics, but it saves their bandwidth and means the site can stay online. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, you must must must check out the scans of the photos from "Miyelo" because they're just phenomenal! I've still gotta get this book, but it costs a lot so I haven't got it yet. [img]smilies/pout.gif[/img] Some of the "Miyelo" series are in his book "45301", too, and I've got that one. And a couple of them were in the exhibit I saw in NZ (which was somewhat of a religous experience I must say!). [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Yes, anyway, click the link that E_E posted, then go into the "Creativity" section, then click the "Miyelo" link and there are some scans in there. Honestly, how does he do that stuff with a camera? Some of those photos look like paintings! The man is a genius. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

There are also examples of some of his photos here and some of his paintings here. And I'm pretty sure the Robert Mann Gallery site has some of his photos up too *goes to check* Click here then just keeping clickin' the "next" button to see the rest.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the link Phee. Have you see his images from Sign Language? They are great too. I have that book. I wanted to get the others but first "The Horse is Good". I love images of horses. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 02-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Master Fan

Jazz! Whee! This is great. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for starting this thread!

I've been trying to become more of a photographer myself, as I've always been a sketch artist/writer. Not so much creativity when it came to finding pictures. But now that I have a digital camera that I carry with me non stop, I'm going to try to improve my skills a little bit. Or a whole lot. Heh.

I tried searching for his books at Borders and Barnes & Nobles, but they didn't have them. They said they were out of print and everything, which put a damper on my day. I'm most likely going to order them anyhow, seeing as I deeply want them!

icon credit: spikesbint on LJ
Old 02-26-2004, 06:57 PM
Master Fan

Alright! We have a little art community here. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I do mostly web design. I use Photoshop and Flash. I used to draw Anime and watercolor them in, but the call of the computer was too strong. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I've always wanted to learn photography, and am saving up for a digital camera. I've given up on finding pictures on the net that I can edit. Now, I want to use all original pictures. I hope Viggo's photos can inspire me.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Master Fan

Pao Aw, hee! I used to draw anime too! But in a little sketch book I bought at Border's, lol. Mostly Sailor Moon characters (the manga-style, not the TV-show) and then a few characters I used to make up on my own with my friends. Heh.

Old 02-26-2004, 08:45 PM
Master Fan

Aw, hee. I think Sailor Moon started it all there in the U.S. For us here, it was Voltes V and Daimos.

But enough about Anime. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I've seen Viggo take pictures of Lijah, and Dom. Are there anymore LOTR cast members that he's photographed?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:02 PM
Master Fan

He's taken some pictures of Orli as Leggy and John Rhys-Davies as Gimli, as well. I'll try to find them for you [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'll be back with the pictures if I can find them.

There's the Leggy one. I'm still looking for the Gimli one, but here are some others that I thought were great:

[ Title: Wednesday Again - Date: 2000 ]

[ Title: Lost 2 - Date: 2000 ]

[ Title: Chetwood 3 - Date: 2000 ]

[ Title: Still Red - Date: 1999 ]

[ Title: Kawerau River - Date: 1999 ]

[ Title: School - Date: 1996 ]

[ Title: 1045 - Date: 1998 ]

Found the pictures here

Old 02-26-2004, 11:50 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for posting though. Seems like we have a little artist-y community here. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

We should post some of our work we have the time. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I do take pictures of horses but that's because I'm surrounded by them. My friend is a photographer as well and loves having my horse and me as a subject. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] So there are plenty of pictures of us around.

I have a digital camera but also a very fancy 35 mm camera with some really expensive zoom lens. It's my pride and joy but a bother to carry around sometimes.

As for anime, my sister is artist of that in the family. I am the "Disney" artist. I was accepted into the school where Disney trains their artists. I turned it down to actually go on a different path (believe or not, I was going to be a vet). [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove