Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-20-2004, 03:36 AM
Elite Fan

American Dreams News Thread #2

New thread time! Ya'll have been very good with keeping us all up to date, so thanks and keep it coming.

Join the John Mayer campaign!
Old 09-22-2004, 02:28 AM
Total Fan

New promo pic! Yay!

I said to him, "You seem like you didn't miss a beat."
He looked at me and said, "I've missed so many beats, I've made a rhythm."
Old 09-22-2004, 04:25 AM
Extreme Fan

Miya-chan - thanks for bringing it over.

I saw the promo, today, finally.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:23 PM
Elite Fan

Aw man, they're all growing up before our very eyes....

Were Sam and his dad in the promo pics from the other seasons?

Old 09-25-2004, 12:34 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by **SuperGirl**
Aw man, they're all growing up before our very eyes....

Were Sam and his dad in the promo pics from the other seasons?
I know they were in the promos pics for s1, but I can't rember the promo pic for s2.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:06 AM
Part-Time Fan

The Walker family was not in the family promo pic, but they were in the cast photo pic. They always do the family photos in front of the Pryor house.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:38 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah...I guess Roxanne was never in it either. Here's the photos from the last two seasons if you want to see.

Old 09-27-2004, 07:17 PM
Master Fan

From the Winston-Salem Journal :

Analyzing Dreams - Show views the present through the past

Monday Sept.27th/04
by Roger Catlin
The Hartford Courant

A deeply divided country. A distant war with no end in sight. Young protesters tearing families apart in the midst of a contentious political season.

The new century might be fraught with drama, but just about the only TV show to consistently address its issues is a Sunday-night family show set in the 1960s.

The contemporary parallels in American Dreams, which started its third season last night, sometimes stun even the show's creator.

"Here I am, it's 1965 in our show, and there's a Texas president sitting in the White House, promising a divided American public that this fairly unpopular foreign war will be over real soon, and he'll root the bad guys out," Jonathan Prince, the executive producer, said from the set of American Dreams.

"Then there's a Catholic senator (originally) from Massachusetts telling him he's not doing the war right and that he would do it differently.

"At the same time, black people wonder where the fruits of Brown v. the Board of Education are, since most are not getting the right jobs or right education. There are people protesting the war and being called un-American. There are people against the war but for the troops. And there are people who say if it's not a good war, we still have to support our boys. Then suddenly there are revelations we are violating the Geneva conventions."

Vietnam, which has become a focal point of the 2004 presidential election, is the lingering metaphor for Iraq on a show that follows the life and times of a family in Philadelphia, where American Bandstand is locally broadcast each weekday.

And though the war is Vietnam and not Iraq, the president Lyndon Johnson and not George Bush, and his critic is Robert Kennedy and not John Kerry, "it's hard to miss the connections," Prince said.

Although war in Iraq is sometimes mentioned in more topical crime shows, it's not the main story of any other continuing series.

Much of the reaction that Prince has gotten from the Vietnam storylines have been from veterans of the war thankful for the depiction of soldiers as something other than permanently traumatized and ill-adjusted.

But Prince said he's also heard from families of soldiers currently serving, because the show depicts the war's effects on the family.

"This year, the first nine episodes of the show tell the story of what happens once J.J. (the eldest son of the family) goes missing in action," Prince said. "His family has no idea what's happened to him. To tell that story - what it's like go to work and go to school and live your lives and every moment of every day praying your son is not dead - is something they really appreciate."

He also hears from viewers who simply appreciate a show that a family can watch together and discuss afterward. "I've always said this show is The Waltons with a different time setting and a much cooler soundtrack."

Indeed, it's been the vaults of American Bandstand and the setting of the show in the old studio of Dick Clark (an American Dreams co-producer) that have given the show its most obvious multigenerational, time-jumping gimmick, with contemporary performers who are bestsellers with contemporary kids, tackling songs that the parents relish from their youth.

For Sunday's season opener, Brandy portrayed Gladys Knight singing "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," Ben Taylor crooned the Beatles' "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away," and Gavin DeGraw covered Smokey Robinson's "Tracks of My Tears."

Later this season, American Idol winner Fantasia Barrino will portray Aretha Franklin, and Nicole Richie will lead the Exciters (whose hit was "Tell Him"). Alanis Morissette will portray a fictional folk singer of the day, playing an original song at the show's other venue, a club called the Lair.

Holding its own against such strong competition as Cold Case, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and The Simpsons, the family drama works because it stands out from current trends, Prince said.

"People like reality TV or, among the dramas, like the procedurals, because they don't make you feel," Prince said. "Reality TV is often a game: Who gets voted off? And the procedural police dramas like Law & Order and CSI are like puzzles - solving a case. It's rare there are emotions tied to it."

In such a landscape, strongly emotional shows such as American Dreams not only "have the playing field to themselves," he said, "we're the only ones in stadium. And we're looking for people to fill the seats."
Old 10-04-2004, 04:29 AM
New Fan

i dont know if i should request this here or not so anyways....

i was wondering if anyone knows where i can view that promo from october 3. i would really appecrate it. thanks.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:30 AM
Extreme Fan

The new NOV 2004 TEEN PEOPLE w/Hilary Duff on the cover has a few AD stuff. They are giving away 5 copies of the Season 1 DVD signed, I'm not sure if is all 5. There's also Brittany Snows iPOD pics.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Fan

Two 'Idol' Winners Lead 'Dreams' Guest List
(Monday, October 11 08:43 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Kelly Clarkson and Fantasia Barrino, winners of the first and third installments of FOX's "American Idol," lead the list of early season guests on NBC's struggling nostalgic drama "American Dreams."
While its viewership has continued to drop from last season, averaging fewer than 8 million viewers through the show's first three airings, "American Dreams" continues to get a diverse roster of contemporary musical guests taking advantage of the opportunity to portray their heroes on the show-within-the-show of "American Bandstand."

Barrino, who won her "Idol" crown in May, will sing "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" in the guise of her own idol, Aretha Franklin. Clarkson will reprise her role as Brenda Lee, this time singing "Rock Around the Christmas Tree." Both "Idol" stars will appear in November.

Also doing November duty is Alanis Morissette, who will visit the show's alternative venue, the Lair, to perform her own original song "Feast on Scraps," which purists may view as something of a cheat.
Grammy winner Brandy will drop by in November, as will Michael Tocher, 112, and Phantom Planet as The Zombies. Power punk band Hawk Nelson will play The Who, covering "My Generation" and JoJo will be a young Linda Ronstandt, auditioning for "Bandstand" with "That Will Be the Day."
Old 10-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Part-Time Fan

Some of the American Dreams Cast went to a Celebrity Carnival Yesterday here is a picture of it for everyone to see
Old 10-13-2004, 06:11 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by adjjb
Two 'Idol' Winners Lead 'Dreams' Guest List
(Monday, October 11 08:43 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Kelly Clarkson and Fantasia Barrino, winners of the first and third installments of FOX's "American Idol," lead the list of early season guests on NBC's struggling nostalgic drama "American Dreams."
While its viewership has continued to drop from last season, averaging fewer than 8 million viewers through the show's first three airings, "American Dreams" continues to get a diverse roster of contemporary musical guests taking advantage of the opportunity to portray their heroes on the show-within-the-show of "American Bandstand."

Barrino, who won her "Idol" crown in May, will sing "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" in the guise of her own idol, Aretha Franklin. Clarkson will reprise her role as Brenda Lee, this time singing "Rock Around the Christmas Tree." Both "Idol" stars will appear in November.

Also doing November duty is Alanis Morissette, who will visit the show's alternative venue, the Lair, to perform her own original song "Feast on Scraps," which purists may view as something of a cheat.
Grammy winner Brandy will drop by in November, as will Michael Tocher, 112, and Phantom Planet as The Zombies. Power punk band Hawk Nelson will play The Who, covering "My Generation" and JoJo will be a young Linda Ronstandt, auditioning for "Bandstand" with "That Will Be the Day."
PHANTOM PLANET!!!!!! I hope it' true.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:24 PM
Part-Time Fan

Yes, Phantom Planet is going to be on. They play "The Zombies" and they sing "Tell Her No."
Old 10-15-2004, 05:25 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by AmericanDreamsFanClub
Yes, Phantom Planet is going to be on. They play "The Zombies" and they sing "Tell Her No."
Wow, great, and that made my day.