Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Master Fan

I have to say that overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the premiere, and I really hope that the rest of the season can stand up to (hopefully surpass) it.

A few things not so great...
- Peyton. I never thought I'd say it - but like many others have said, mostly everything felt flat about her last night. I adore Hil, but it just didn't seem like she was on top of her game in this episode. Instead of the honest, genuine performance that she normally gives, this felt forced to me. Plus the writing of the character just seemed "off" - such as the BP scene where Peyton was talking about people abondoning other people. The rant seemed totally Peyton. The little extension of something along the lines of "Too much? Dailing it back," didn't feel quite Peyton. It was too quick of a transition from something that felt real and emotional to something almost "flighty" (although I'm not sure that's the word I'm looking for). Sorry, I'm so nit-picky.

- Another nit-picky thing here - but the whole Dan scratching thing came across almost whimsically, when I don't think that it was intended to. Or if it was intended - I don't think it was a choice that worked well with the rest of the episode.

- I really would have loved to have seen some new opening credits, but it is nice to see Lee's addition.

On to the goodness!!!
- On a superficial note - everyone looked great.

- Great, great, great music for the opening scenes! It was a fantastic mood setter.

- I loved how they did the editing of Dan's memories - how they were so cut-up and disjointed. It was an interesting choice that I can't remember ever being used on the show before.

- I was really upset that Thomas wouldn't be returning as Larry, but I have to admit that I really like the new actor. He gave a heartfelt performance. The scene where Larry told Peyton that she shouldn't dare blame her mother was very well-written, and the actor did a fantastic job with it.

- Notify the presses...there were LP scenes! I've come to the point where I've decided it's fruitless to ship any couple on this show - so I'm just not doing it anymore. But I had missed interaction between the characters, and it's good to see that they (and the writers) have not developed amnesia concerning the past history between LP.

- It was wonderful to see that the real Haley does still exist, and that she remembers the people that have always been important to her, and that they remember her too.

The best for last...
- Joy and James rocked it. Plain and simple. Like I said earlier, I've stopped shipping couples on this show - so I don't care if NH end up back together or not. I just want the relationships to be written so that they make logical sense. The relationship made sense here, and James and Joy executed it wonderfully. We have a Haley who is totally owning up to all of her mistakes and who desperately wants to make things right again. We have a Nathan who is not completely whipped. He's been hurt - so he's guarding himself, but he's not being a total jerk in the process. The two characters were in perfect balance in relation to themselves and each other.

The bedroom scene!!! That was the highlight of the episode for me (and this is from a person who couldn't stand to watch NH most of last season). The scene was well-written, had great direction (I loved how the camera pushed in on Haley after Nathan pushed her away on the bed), and James and Joy nailed the scene. They were both so present and in-the-moment; it made my heart ache for the characters.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Master Fan

I already know my review is going to be long. So you are all forewarned.

Honestly, I am, so surprised, thrilled, delighted and all that stuff that this episode was as brilliant as it was... I mean, terrifically done. I was siting there going "Wait, did One Tree Hill just get all the way deep and good?" Literally I felt like this premiere was at the peak of the talent we've seen delivered on our screens from this show. Extreme props goes to Mark and Company.

*clearsthroat*

Highs:

- Lucas and Haley of course. I mean, come on. The best friends that rule each other's, and my existence. So glad the had their scenes together. And hello did we all see the hug. So much chemistry, it was wonderful. I love these two together, always have, always will.

- Lucas and Brooke. I love them together. I do, and if they need to have an open relationship to start with, we can work with that. I just love them. That kiss.

-Lucas and Peyton. I actually like them. I'm not one of those BL fans that hate them. It's probably cause I acknowledge and appreciate the fact that they need to be in each other's lives. I even liked them as a couple in season 1. So them revisiting their friendship is fine by me.

- Brooke being so feisty and independent. I just felt like saying "go girl" every five seconds. She's just so mature. I love it.

-Brooke and Haley living together.

- How gorgeous, amazing, natural, radiant, and beautiful Haley, Brooke and Peyton looked. I love Peyton's new hair, it frames her face wonderfully and brings out all her pretty. She looked gorgeous tonight. As did Haley and Brooke. Such beautiful girls on this show.

- Deb not being a "insert offensive word here" to Haley. She gets a cookie for that one, I didn't need to hear her moan and complain.

- Peyton being mad at Haley and Brooke forgiving and excepting Haley. It completely made since why both of them chose the side they did, and they did it in a convincing, natural way.

- Nathan and Haley, now let me just say that I have never in my One Tree Hill experience, after two seasons, even semi- shipped them. But the scene in Nathan's bedroom where he whispered "Hales", and she rushed to him almost starting to cry and started kissing him and his arms completely wrapped around her. I almost had an aneurysm. Literally. That was so brilliantly acted I got the chills. Which says a lot.

- Dan, while in confession; the flashing scene with all the people who could have done it was so well put together, with the scenes and music being perfect.

- The music was amazing.

Lows:

- Peyton saying "Don't tell her." to Lucas about Brooke. I'm all for Peyton and Lucas's friendship but that completely rubbed me the wrong way. Didn't like it.

- That was kinda it. Like I said above, it was a fabulous episode, the best ever. In my opinion. Hardly any lows.
Serene_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:53 AM
Master Fan

Kinda new,so hi everyone

Just wanted to say that I really disliked Haley last season,with all the Chris&singing stuff,leaving Nathan alone(he's my fav character) but she truly redeemed herself(IMO) in this episode.I adored how she kept telling Nathan that he still was the most important part of her life.Even if he doesn't trust her now,that will definitely help him to get there again and this ep showed how meant to be Nathan&Haley really were.I loved every bit of these two.The bedroom scene truly moved me.It was really an awesome (and a very hopeful) Naley ep.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:11 AM
Loyal Fan

This episode reminded me why OTH is one of my all time favourite TV shows and why I loved it crazily at some point
Absolutely loved the episode .. Its a strong comeback , Im so excited for the rest of the season .. I hope the writers keep it up ..
SportyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:06 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene_Ray

- Nathan and Haley, now let me just say that I have never in my One Tree Hill experience, after two seasons, even semi- shipped them. But the scene in Nathan's bedroom where he whispered "Hales", and she rushed to him almost starting to cry and started kissing him and his arms completely wrapped around her. I almost had an aneurysm. Literally. That was so brilliantly acted I got the chills. Which says a lot.
Well said, and I am so glad that they are giving these two some real scenes to act out considering the level of talent and incomparable chemistry the two of them have. I am SO happy to see people joing in the N/H love!
Sunset Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:07 AM
Absolute Fan

I actually loved Dan in this episode for some reason. He is pissed and after his 'confession' he is going to really stick it to the person who started the fire and poisoned him! Can't wait!

I am going to be in the minority here but I love Peyton. I mean can you imagine thinking your mother has died, then finding out you were adopted and the person who you grieved for all those years was not your real mother, all the while the man you love has left to lord knows where and who knows if he'll even be back, while your best friend leaves you for the summer at the same time? C'mon. I'd be a mess and a bit whiny too for the summer. I mean that is a lot for a 16-17 year old to deal with.

Nathan and Haley were great in this episode. I actually started to cry in the scene with the two of them in the bedroom. Always and forever. Deep dude, deep!

Brooke and Lucas, loved it. She is so my girl. Her 'What I did on my summer vacation' board was priceless. Haha. Hope this thing between them develops.

And I am happy Lee is in the credits, Mouth is a gem for the show!

Ang

NOTE TO SCHWANN AND CO: Bring back Bryan, I miss Jake!
Old 10-06-2005, 07:20 AM
Elite Fan

Things I liked:

Just have to get this out there -- I actually LIKED NH in this episode, it's truly amazing. Maybe it's because they're not so dragged out anymore, but that kiss was electric!!

It's great to see Lee in the credits, but I really don't like Mouth, I don't know why. But it was nice to see Lee get some credit. It just made me miss Bryan more though.

Brooke and Haley were so awesome! Can't wait to see more of them! I am more of a fan of the BP friendship though, so I hope the writers stick to that formula.

BLBLBLBLBLBLBLBLBLLLL! What I've been waiting four months for! And it didn't disappoint! Everything is going great so far, and I can't wait to see how this "nonexclusive" relationship of theirs goes!

Things I didn't like:

There wasn't that much Karen, that made me sad. And I didn't enjoy Dan at all, which is odd because I usually love him.

Peyton. I am in no way comparing my situation to hers, but I recently lost a brother due to a car crash, ironically running a stop sign. But there IS a difference between grieving and taking your sorrow out on others. I didn't like the voiceovers either. Lucas is the only one I like doing the voiceovers.

L///P friendship? Yeah, it's great that they're friends. If they STAY friends! I think the writers are going to be wayyy too tempted to turn it into more.

Overall it was pretty good though!
Old 10-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Dedicated Fan

OTH is BACK! Schwahn and company did not disappoint. I loved the flashbacks throughout the episode. It reminded me of the S1 finale but even better since it incorporated flashbacks from S1. What they also did in this season that they missed in S2 was that they did not forget what they left us with in the S2 finale. So many issues in S1 seemed unresolved in S2. Perfect episode. The OTH that I love is back.

Dan - love PJ. I don't think that anyone does evil better and cannot wait to see what Dan does next. I loved how he confessed to a priest...good and evil.

Lucas/Peyton - I actually prefer the on screen intensity between CMM/HB than SB but have no real preference. I am interested in seeing where they go this season considering Brookes new rules and the L/P summer. Also considering the real life drama for CMM and SB.

Lucas/Haley - I love the friendship. CMM/BJL really have such great chemistry in a brother/sister friendship.

Deb - Asking for gin instead of coffee? hhhmmmmmm

Karen - I loved the conversation between Haley and Karen. Perfect and very real.

Cafe - No mention of the changes

Mouth/Brooke - Love the friendship although I cannot see any guy carrying a couch up a flight of stairs by himself!!! lol. The breakup between Mouth and Erica...so realistic. Love it.

Brooke/Haley - Cannot wait to see more of this relationship. Brooke's character seemed to really have insight into both Haley and Peyton in this first episode.

Peyton - A little preachy in the Haley dept. but Brooke nailed it. I like the new Larry and think that the biological mother story could be interesting. Peyton has always had issues so it will be interesting to see where it goes. Thank you MS for no Peyton Nathan flashbacks. I cannot see these two as close friends and don't want to. I prefer to see Peyton w/Haley, Brooke and Lucas although I would love to watch her get involved with an older crowd. Her character seems the type. Also, the older man type. I also have to say that HB's haircut looks great.

Best for last...Nathan and Haley....I think that the chemistry between BJL and JL has only gotten better. Amazing scenes last night. Although I read a post that said Haley was throwing herself at Nathan in the bedroom scene, I like most people saw that when she ran to Nathan it was a need they both had. Amazing amazing scene. Thank you MS for making this about trust and not love. My only issue....when did this whole kiss thing become making out??? Perfect that she did not sign the annulment papers. It was an opportunity for Nathan to see where here head was at beyond just what she was telling him. She does have to earn his trust back. I cannot wait to see it. I also love that the writers put everything together about how he was feeling and how she was feeling, the phone call, what she said, everything. It also gave Nathan something to think about. Everything that the writers gave use between Nathan and Haley was so real and the actors made it come to life in a powerful way. For those who think that a relationship cannot come back from what these two have been through, you're wrong. As bad as it was, there is so much worse. Finally, Nathan wearing the ring around his neck. I loved it. Thank you Mark Schwahn. It gives me high hopes that you are listening to the fans and I cannot wait to watch their journey back together and then what is in store for them in the future as a young married couple. Another note...loved that the music in the bedroom scene was BJL singing 'Elsewhere'

My only question is what was Haley doing all summer and where did she live?
anease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Total Fan

BJL and JL stole the show last night! Every scene between Nathan and Haley crackled with chemistry and emotion. I loved the bedroom scene and I loved that Nathan's wearing his ring around his neck. It's sweet that Haley wrote "I Love You" on the papers. I'm glad that Nathan isn't making it easy for Haley because she put him through a lot, but there is definitely hope for them. They still love each other.

I don't like Lucus and Peyton hanging out because the only thing I kept thinking last night was that they were going to end up hurting Brooke again. I like Brooke and Lucus together, but not if he's just going to cheat on her again with Peyton.

I love to dislike Dan. I can't wait to find out who tried to kill him and who saved him.

I like the idea of Brooke and Haley living together. They are fun to watch.
groovygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Part-Time Fan

Last night was really really good.I was hesitating whether to watch or not,and I'm happy I did.I was quite sad that they were going to end Nathan and Haley's marriage so I had stoped watching,but to see that Haley signed "I love you" in the papers was just amazing,gave me the chills completely.Joie and James without a doubt stole the show last night,there's just something about them that make you feel for every storyline they give to them.Amazing chemestry.And whoever said their kiss was electric was right on the money,it definetely was that.And that whole scene was absolutely perfect.Made me cry.It's really nice to see this show not giving up on them just because they have the most difficult storyline to follow with their marriage,i think it was a great decision,and it makes them even more special.

I really enjoyed friendships on this show too,Lucas/Haley, Brooke/Haley, Mouth/brooke are on top of my list.I want to see more of that in the future.

Congrats Mark,I'm addicted to your show again.Really nice premiere.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by superscar
And question - could anyone hear anything over the music at all in scenes before the credits? I haven't a clue what anyone said. But I think I got the general drift.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one that couldn't hear over the music. I was like, can't they have a scene without the music blasting in the background.

I'm also a little tired of all the flashbacks, but I know they "had" to do it in order to keep the show in present time.

I can't believe no one is speculating about Dan's fire mystery. Something is definitely going on with Deb. Why did they flash to her when Peyton was giving the speech at the end about certain souls are lying? Doesn't that mean that Deb is keeping a secret?

Also, I think that Lucas saved him from the fire...Remember Dan said he couldn't remember how he managed to get out...This would explain how Lucas has the note...Although Lucas wanted to bring Dan down, he couldn't let him die. Maybe that's why he said to Peyton that he can't take back what he did...he saved Dan and now Dan is back again with a vengeance.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:16 AM
New Fan

Absolutely adored the premiere,I think it was a great move to give us hope with NH because it brought a lot of fans back.James and Joie stole the show,nailed everysingle one of their scenes,amazing chemestry,can't wait to see NH working things out.

Peyton kinda annoyed me,the only times I liked her was when she was with Lucas.And this is kinda whatever but Hilarie should go back to the long curls she used in S1,she looks cute but she is supposed to be a teenager and she hardly looks like one with that hair.I like her parents storyline,can't wait to see more.

BL were really cute I have to admit I'm interested to see what happens with these two.
Naleybestcoupleever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene_Ray

Peyton saying "Don't tell her." to Lucas about Brooke. I'm all for Peyton and Lucas's friendship but that completely rubbed me the wrong way. Didn't like it.
I thought Peyton asked him "what are you going to tell her?"
*CarlyBabes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *CarlyBabes*
I thought Peyton asked him "what are you going to tell her?"
It sounded like "Well, don't tell her." to me, but I'll watch it again.
Serene_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Absolute Fan

Erroniously believing that OTH was still on EZ View, I watched another show that I wanted to watch (E-Ring). But since OTH isn't on EZ View anymore, I'm screwed; can anybody provide me with an in-depth recap (think Television-without-Pity style) of the ep, please?
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread