Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Addicted Fan

I think Seth cared and he still loved Caleb because after all he was his grandfather. They just weren't that close so it didn't have that much of an impact on him. It just meant he was able to cope with it better.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Elite Fan

I was basing my comment off of the writing for the show. I wasn't trying to put Seth down.

In The Dearly Beloved, Summer was trying to comfort Seth because his grandpa died and he said that's not what bothers him. His mom drinking is what bothers him so the way the show was written made it seem like while he was probably upset about Caleb, he got over it quite easily-- like in a day. And I made that point also in further showing why he wouldn't care about getting his picture taken with Caleb at Caleb's Man of the Year Party. And Seth himself pretty much said he didn't care when Caleb went to jail. He was concerned about his hair or something (when Ryan kept mentioning "Grandpa. Front page? Jail?"

That's the point I was making. I wasn't trying to hate on Seth or make him out to be a bad person. I was just trying to stress that he and his grandpa weren't close at all and I was using actual scenes from the show to come to that conclusion.

There's nothing wrong with Seth not being close to Caleb or getting over his death easily. That's just how it was. That doesn't mean he didn't care about him, but clearly they didn't get along IMO.

Quote:
I think Seth cared and he still loved Caleb because after all he was his grandfather.
The fact that he was his grandfather doesn't say much IMO. I do think Seth loved Caleb, but in general, you don't have to love your grandfather just because he's your grandfather IMO if he treats you badly. I know plenty of people who don't love or care for some of their relatives because the person treated them badly or did them wrong. In the case of Caleb and Seth, I don't really feel Caleb treated Seth that badly, but he still didn't exactly make him happy or feel loved either. I feel that love can outshine biological ties. As we saw, Caleb was Lindsay's dad and she wasn't even at his funeral (although I think this was probably just a glitch in the writing). Caleb wasn't exactly an easy person to love (although I actually do like his character a lot).
-The Holy Qur'an [13:16]

Last edited by ~Search4Truth~; 07-13-2011 at 01:38 PM
Old 07-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
His mom drinking is what bothers him so the way the show was written made it seem like while he was probably upset about Caleb, he got over it quite easily-- like in a day.
I know, it really seemed that way, it was something that bothered me too, the way it was written. I mean after all, they did seem to get along well, and I get that the writers wanted to develop the Kirsten drinking storyline, but it really did seem like Seth had gotten over the death of his grandfather really quickly. I guess one reason for that was, as I said before, that they could turn Seth's focus more and more on the Kirsten drinking storyline.

Quote:
He was concerned about his hair or something (when Ryan kept mentioning "Grandpa. Front page? Jail?"
Actually, I thought this was very funny, and also exactly the way early Seth was written. I think the writers changed Seth's behavior and reactions as the show went on, but in the beginning, his character was written differently than it was in the end.

Quote:
Caleb wasn't exactly an easy person to love (although I actually do like his character a lot).
That's a very good point. His character had edges and was interesting, but he seemed to be tough to get along with.

Another one of Seth's reactions that was written not in the way I would have imagined it was when Kirsten and Sandy told the boys that they were having a baby. There would have been a lot of comedic potential in that scene, but Seth's reaction was written so neutrally, it wasn't satisfying to me at all.

As you all know, I love Seth dearly and I am with Theresa, I am not putting him down at all, but I am just not entirely happy with the way his reactions and stories were handled from the writers from time to time.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossignol (View Post)
I know, it really seemed that way, it was something that bothered me too, the way it was written. I mean after all, they did seem to get along well, and I get that the writers wanted to develop the Kirsten drinking storyline, but it really did seem like Seth had gotten over the death of his grandfather really quickly. I guess one reason for that was, as I said before, that they could turn Seth's focus more and more on the Kirsten drinking storyline.
Exactly, that's how I felt too.

Quote:
Actually, I thought this was very funny, and also exactly the way early Seth was written. I think the writers changed Seth's behavior and reactions as the show went on, but in the beginning, his character was written differently than it was in the end.
I thought it was funny too actually. I wasn't mad at Seth in the scene or anything. But the scene does show that he didn't really care that his grandpa was in the cooler, lol.

Quote:
That's a very good point. His character had edges and was interesting, but he seemed to be tough to get along with.
Yeah, very true, but I think Sandy disliked him the mosT (despite helping him).

Quote:
Another one of Seth's reactions that was written not in the way I would have imagined it was when Kirsten and Sandy told the boys that they were having a baby. There would have been a lot of comedic potential in that scene, but Seth's reaction was written so neutrally, it wasn't satisfying to me at all.
I don't remember that scene. What episode is that? I really need to brush up on S4.

Quote:
As you all know, I love Seth dearly and I am with Theresa, I am not putting him down at all, but I am just not entirely happy with the way his reactions and stories were handled from the writers from time to time.
I think the writers focused a little bit too much on having Seth use comic relief as a way of dealing with crisis and at times because he did it so often, instead of it feeling like his joke or neutrality or lack of reaction was his way of coping, it came across as him not caring. I do think he cared. I'd say that like you said, his stories weren't always handled well by the writers at times.

Last edited by ~Search4Truth~; 07-13-2011 at 01:48 PM
Old 07-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Aw Sandy and Caleb, the greatest love story ever on TV

Quote:
But the scene does show that he didn't really care that his grandpa was in the cooler, lol.
What's also a great scene is when Seth wants to prove wrong that he is only self-involved and is trying to get Ryan to tell him that he's not, and Ryan's not really paying attention and Seth goes "Ryan? Me. Me. Me!"
Old 07-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Elite Fan

Steffi, I edited my other post to reply to what you said when you edited your post. Not sure if you saw that. I'm trying to remember what episode you're referring to when Kirsten tells Seth she's pregnant. I'm drawing a blank for some reason since I haven't seen S4 in a while. I don't remember much about the scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossignol (View Post)
Aw Sandy and Caleb, the greatest love story ever on TV
Oh gosh, I loved their relationship.

Quote:
What's also a great scene is when Seth wants to prove wrong that he is only self-involved and is trying to get Ryan to tell him that he's not, and Ryan's not really paying attention and Seth goes "Ryan? Me. Me. Me!"
That was hilarious. "Hey ryan, I'm not self-absorbed right? Me. Me. Me." And Ryan's facial expressions whenever Seth would talk like that were priceless. These two were just too funny together.

I love when Ryan said, "I'm used to it, Seth. You don't have to change for me." That was very sweet. He accepted Seth just as he was.

Seth/Ryan FTW. Sorry for the tangent.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I was just trying to stress that he and his grandpa weren't close at all and I was using actual scenes from the show to come to that conclusion.
Yeah, okay. That's how I saw it too, the writers made it look like Seth didn't really cared and also that Seth and Caleb weren't so close. I think Caleb treated him quite good though, he was nice to him atleast

I know Seth is only a fictional character but I just think it's unfair to say that he didn't cared(I know you meant by the writing and I did too) and it might be because people have told me that when someone close to me died. That's not really funny and it's not something you want to hear. Since it wasn't true at all. They were just hurt and needed to take that out on someone, which was me. But it hurts to hear that from someone.

Yeah, I think the scene when Seth only cared about his hair was pretty funny
Old 07-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM&SSforever (View Post)
I think Caleb treated him quite good though, he was nice to him atleast
That's true. I found it hilarious when Caleb looked proud of Seth at Thanksgiving for making out with two girls.

Quote:
and it might be because people have told me that when someone close to me died. That's not really funny and it's not something you want to hear. Since it wasn't true at all. They were just hurt and needed to take that out on someone, which was me. But it hurts to hear that from someone.
I'm sorry someone said that to you. That was very wrong of them.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I found it hilarious when Caleb looked proud of Seth at Thanksgiving for making out with two girls.
Yeah, that was pretty funny. I loved that Caleb just stood there and laughed, well it was a bit laugh worthy so it was okay of him
Quote:
I'm sorry someone said that to you.
Thanks

Last edited by RM&SSforever; 07-14-2011 at 09:55 AM
Old 07-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
The fact that he was his grandfather doesn't say much IMO. I do think Seth loved Caleb, but in general, you don't have to love your grandfather just because he's your grandfather IMO if he treats you badly. I know plenty of people who don't love or care for some of their relatives because the person treated them badly or did them wrong. In the case of Caleb and Seth, I don't really feel Caleb treated Seth that badly, but he still didn't exactly make him happy or feel loved either. I feel that love can outshine biological ties. As we saw, Caleb was Lindsay's dad and she wasn't even at his funeral (although I think this was probably just a glitch in the writing). Caleb wasn't exactly an easy person to love (although I actually do like his character a lot).
I agree you don't have to love just for biological ties, especially if they treat you badly. But, this is just me, I can't imagine not loving my parents, they are my closest family so I do almost love them automatically. Unconditional love, whatever you call it. That's just me personally, I know different people have different relationships. Family ties can be a powerful thing, of course that can be a bad thing. In abusive relationship, sometimes the child can't let go because of their love for their parent. Even when they do manage to break free, they can still continue to love them but the difference is they know it is doing them harm. There are exceptions to this obviously.

My comment on Seth/Sandy was kind of taken from a personal experience, my grandma died several years ago and I was never really close to her but I still cared, even though it didn't have a profound effect on me. In kind of the same way, I think Seth cared. Maybe they could have shown us more but I still think his behaviour was alright. It's true he never really cared much for Caleb but well, Seth was never the most considerate (but he did make self-absorption highly likeble and I love him for it )

Quote:
it might be because people have told me that when someone close to me died. That's not really funny and it's not something you want to hear. Since it wasn't true at all. They were just hurt and needed to take that out on someone, which was me. But it hurts to hear that from someone.
Aw, I'm sorry Johanna

Last edited by ~tammy~; 07-14-2011 at 09:56 AM
Old 07-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm sorry you had to go through that, Johanna
Old 07-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~tammy~ (View Post)
I agree you don't have to love just for biological ties, especially if they treat you badly. But, this is just me, I can't imagine not loving my parents, they are my closest family so I do almost love them automatically. Unconditional love, whatever you call it. That's just me personally, I know different people have different relationships. Family ties can be a powerful thing, of course that can be a bad thing. In abusive relationship, sometimes the child can't let go because of their love for their parent. Even when they do manage to break free, they can still continue to love them but the difference is they know it is doing them harm. There are exceptions to this obviously.

My comment on Seth/Sandy was kind of taken from a personal experience, my grandma died several years ago and I was never really close to her but I still cared, even though it didn't have a profound effect on me. In kind of the same way, I think Seth cared. Maybe they could have shown us more but I still think his behaviour was alright. It's true he never really cared much for Caleb but well, Seth was never the most considerate (but he did make self-absorption highly likeble and I love him for it )

Good points.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ah thanks for the hint, Theresa!

Quote:
I don't remember that scene. What episode is that? I really need to brush up on S4.
That would have been either the one before The Shake Up or the one before that. When I’m done with my rewatch I’ll be able to name the episode
As far as I recall it, they were in the parking lot of the Yacht Club when they told the boys that Kirsten was pregnant. I hope I’m not making stuff up now

Quote:
instead of it feeling like his joke or neutrality or lack of reaction was his way of coping, it came across as him not caring. I do think he cared.
I totally agree with you on that. I am sure that he did care, but the writers tried to make him a character who can’t help but make jokes in order to cope with his feelings. Which is not really unrealistic, since some people actually do that.

Quote:
And Ryan's facial expressions whenever Seth would talk like that were priceless. These two were just too funny together
I rewatched The Strip yesterday, and it’s just beyond hilarious when Seth wakes Ryan up in the beginning and goes „Yeah, I can’t sleep either.“ And then Ryan tries to ignore him and to get his attention, Seth (I don’t know how to express this in English – any help appreciated )... well, like, “closes” his nose

Quote:
I love when Ryan said, "I'm used to it, Seth. You don't have to change for me." That was very sweet. He accepted Seth just as he was.
Bromance at its best

Quote:
They were just hurt and needed to take that out on someone, which was me. But it hurts to hear that from someone.
Aw Johanna, I’m so sorry! That was really not nice

Quote:
That's true. I found it hilarious when Caleb looked proud of Seth at Thanksgiving for making out with two girls.
Oh God yes, I loved that look on his face

Tammy, that was very well put, I couldn’t have said it better myself!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~tammy~ (View Post)

Really great points. And I totally agree with everything that you said.

^ What is that? It looks funny!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread