View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 09:51 AM
~tammy~
Addicted Fan

Quote:
The fact that he was his grandfather doesn't say much IMO. I do think Seth loved Caleb, but in general, you don't have to love your grandfather just because he's your grandfather IMO if he treats you badly. I know plenty of people who don't love or care for some of their relatives because the person treated them badly or did them wrong. In the case of Caleb and Seth, I don't really feel Caleb treated Seth that badly, but he still didn't exactly make him happy or feel loved either. I feel that love can outshine biological ties. As we saw, Caleb was Lindsay's dad and she wasn't even at his funeral (although I think this was probably just a glitch in the writing). Caleb wasn't exactly an easy person to love (although I actually do like his character a lot).
I agree you don't have to love just for biological ties, especially if they treat you badly. But, this is just me, I can't imagine not loving my parents, they are my closest family so I do almost love them automatically. Unconditional love, whatever you call it. That's just me personally, I know different people have different relationships. Family ties can be a powerful thing, of course that can be a bad thing. In abusive relationship, sometimes the child can't let go because of their love for their parent. Even when they do manage to break free, they can still continue to love them but the difference is they know it is doing them harm. There are exceptions to this obviously.

My comment on Seth/Sandy was kind of taken from a personal experience, my grandma died several years ago and I was never really close to her but I still cared, even though it didn't have a profound effect on me. In kind of the same way, I think Seth cared. Maybe they could have shown us more but I still think his behaviour was alright. It's true he never really cared much for Caleb but well, Seth was never the most considerate (but he did make self-absorption highly likeble and I love him for it )

Quote:
it might be because people have told me that when someone close to me died. That's not really funny and it's not something you want to hear. Since it wasn't true at all. They were just hurt and needed to take that out on someone, which was me. But it hurts to hear that from someone.
Aw, I'm sorry Johanna

Last edited by ~tammy~; 07-14-2011 at 09:56 AM