Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poligirl25 (View Post)
Hmmm... when did that interview occur? Definitely sounds like it was setting up the first few episodes of the season. Pretty sure it's not recent. And that Laurie's extremely positive pro-Frary interview posted by Bree post dates this one.

ETA: Yep, just checked. That interview is from Nov. 7.
I knew I had recognized that 'slower burn' quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewall (View Post)
Yeah, she also said this in that zap2it interview:

She was trying to play coy.
And I love her for not doing that in the eonline one. It's just straight to the point. No beating around the bush. No being vague.

Last edited by CrunkPunk88; 02-20-2014 at 08:05 PM
Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Hmmm... when did that interview occur? Definitely sounds like it was setting up the first few episodes of the season. Pretty sure it's not recent. And that Laurie's extremely positive pro-Frary interview posted by Bree post dates this one.

ETA: Yep, just checked. That interview is from Nov. 7.
Well, the interview was talking about the end of the season which I'm sure they had planned. Also the interview that you were talking about had some missing from it... like:

It also appears that Mary and Francis may finally end up together, but that's going to be a challenge.

"I believe they love each other so deeply, and that you know, that they will overcome plenty of obstacles, but the tragedy of their love is the duty to their countries," McCarthy revealed. "They have jobs and responsibilities that are so much larger than their love for each other, so for me, the challenge is finding ways to navigate that, just like the challenge for them is to find ways to navigate that, all their conflicting interests, the way they're pulled in different directions, both before and after their marriage."

and

"I think you'll see Mary and Bash investing in a relationship with each other, and there's good raw material there for something to grow," McCarthy said.

Even though Mary and Bash are engaged, the two didn't express real feelings together. But according to McCarthy, that's about to change even though Francis will remain in the picture.

(Source: X)

I'm not shooting down the other things she said. I'm just saying we should look at the bigger picture: she's jerking both sides around.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewall (View Post)
She was trying to play coy.
They're from around the same time, before ep9. I've always felt the E! online one was an anomaly of her being too frank and open. She's done it before talking about RL MF and then backtracking to some degree. Because show runners are never that positive or one sided about a show their network promotes as having a central love triangle, even if that's not reflected on screen, as with this show. They're usually that open several years down the road, not at the beginning. Especially with the big arc coming for the side of the love triangle you're flatly saying you don't support.

The other one feels very standard for a CW show runner. Coy, giving nothing away, playing all sides.

But it's also pretty clear from what she's said she adores Mary & Francis RL & show in a way that isn't reflected in any other Mary related ship. Because it keeps coming through, time and again.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:16 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon tart (View Post)
They're from around the same time, before ep9.
Way before 1x09 if I'm remembering correctly. I think it was before 1x05 aired because I remember knowing MB were going to kiss and my lack of understanding as to how that was considered "slower burn" so we must have had that quote already.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:16 PM
Addicted Fan

Another love interest for Mary?

Oh god, I hope it's a young Robert Dudley. Sent on the newly crowned Elizabeth's orders of course. Not for anything romantic, but to be a lecher and make trouble.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookcrookliza (View Post)
Well, the interview was talking about the end of the season which I'm sure they had planned.
No, it wasn't. Check your own post. You cite two different articles given on two different dates. The first one you cited and the one I was referencing was given on Nov. 7, the day 104 aired. It definitely did not reference the end of the season. Go back and read it. It talked about Lola as a free agent and then we saw her flirtation with Bash in 104. It talks about Bash and pagans and bringing danger into the castle which happened in 106. This article clearly references first part of season only. When they were filming 110/111. At the time of this interview, they had not yet received back 9 pickup so, no, they didn't have end of 22 episodes planned. If you follow the writers on Twitter, you know that they only broke last few episodes of season two weeks ago so Laurie did not have end of season written during this Nov. 7 interview.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Well, the interview was talking about the end of the season which I'm sure they had planned. Also the interview that you were talking about had some missing from it... like:

It also appears that Mary and Francis may finally end up together, but that's going to be a challenge.

"I believe they love each other so deeply, and that you know, that they will overcome plenty of obstacles, but the tragedy of their love is the duty to their countries," McCarthy revealed. "They have jobs and responsibilities that are so much larger than their love for each other, so for me, the challenge is finding ways to navigate that, just like the challenge for them is to find ways to navigate that, all their conflicting interests, the way they're pulled in different directions, both before and after their marriage."

and

"I think you'll see Mary and Bash investing in a relationship with each other, and there's good raw material there for something to grow," McCarthy said.

Even though Mary and Bash are engaged, the two didn't express real feelings together. But according to McCarthy, that's about to change even though Francis will remain in the picture.

(Source: X)

I'm not shooting down the other things she said. I'm just saying we should look at the bigger picture: she's jerking both sides around.
of course she is cause the cw wanted to market this show a certain way, but the reality hasn't really held up to the marketing. Take slow burn for example.

Quote:
No, it wasn't. Check your own post. You cite two different articles given on two different dates. The first one you cited and the one I was referencing was given on Nov. 7, the day 104 aired.
yep. I just remembered that 104 of the emphasis boob graze aired on my birthday.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
No, it wasn't. Check your own post. You cite two different articles given on two different dates. The first one you cited and the one I was referencing was given on Nov. 7, the day 104 aired. It definitely did not reference the end of the season. Go back and read it. It talked about Lola as a free agent and then we saw her flirtation with Bash in 104. It talks about Bash and pagans and bringing danger into the castle which happened in 106. This article clearly references first part of season only. When they were filming 110/111. At the time of this interview, they had not yet received back 9 pickup so, no, they didn't have end of 22 episodes planned. If you follow the writers on Twitter, you know that they only broke last few episodes of season two weeks ago so Laurie did not have end of season written during this Nov. 7 interview.
We're talking about two different things. I wasn't referencing Lola. As for that, I just thought it was interesting, but apparently it isn't because it's old!

I was talking about (maybe I should have been more specific.):

While Adelaide Kane told Zap2it that Mary will marry someone by the end of Season 1, McCarthy isn't so sure. She won't confirm anything, but she will say that regardless of who Mary marries, it won't mean much. "When she does get married, the marriage is no guarantee that her heart would not go elsewhere," she says. (Source: X)

January 23rd 2014.

And then later on (in reference to what somebody mentioned earlier about having a possible third love interest): "But she really has her hands full! With the Mary/Bash/Francis triangle, each of those guys comes with certain benefits and certain burdens. What she's really trying to do is navigate her love life, protect her friends and protect her country."
Old 02-20-2014, 08:35 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunkPunk88 (View Post)
Way before 1x09 if I'm remembering correctly. I think it was before 1x05 aired because I remember knowing MB were going to kiss and my lack of understanding as to how that was considered "slower burn" so we must have had that quote already.
Is it, I just followed the link provided and looked at the date assuming it was the same article copied and pasted. The linked article was for or before ep 9. Which of course other love interests, heart not perhaps being true just because you're married, and cheating after marriage could easily refer to Bash. Since he's the man she's actually betrothed to by the end of that episode. Implying that Bash would never be who she truly loved and a political marriage. Which we just saw Bash complain about in ep 11.

So that makes complete & total sense, to me.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
We're talking about two different things. I wasn't referencing Lola. As for that, I just thought it was interesting, but apparently it isn't because it's old!

I was talking about (maybe I should have been more specific.):

While Adelaide Kane told Zap2it that Mary will marry someone by the end of Season 1, McCarthy isn't so sure. She won't confirm anything, but she will say that regardless of who Mary marries, it won't mean much. "When she does get married, the marriage is no guarantee that her heart would not go elsewhere," she says. (Source: X)

January 23rd 2014.
Right, and those vague and, as others have noted, coy, statements were released BEFORE 109 aired while the Laurie E!Online interview was released AFTER 109 aired. Compare the first with Laurie's more specific and precise proclamations of her love for Frary and Frary's deep and abiding love for one another in the latter. This was the infamous interview that made Frary fans rejoice and several Mash fans threaten to quit the show. So, no, I don't agree that Laurie is playing both sides. Her allegiance and preference is quite freaking clear.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Is it, I just followed the link provided and looked at the date assuming it was the same article copied and pasted. The linked article was for or before ep 9. Which of course other love interests, heart not perhaps being true just because you're married, and cheating after marriage could easily refer to Bash. Since he's the man she's actually betrothed to by the end of that episode. Implying that Bash would never be who she truly loved and a political marriage. Which we just saw Bash complain about in ep 11.

So that makes complete & total sense, to me.
It's from January 23rd. The night 1x09 aired. So, how are betrothed and MARRIED the same thing? They aren't. Are you saying that they didn't write the rest of the season until they were picked up for the second or what? I'm confused as to what the problem is with the information.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Right, and those vague and, as others have noted, coy, statements were released BEFORE 109 aired while the Laurie E!Online interview was released AFTER 109 aired. Compare the first with Laurie's more specific and precise proclamations of her love for Frary and Frary's deep and abiding love for one another in the latter. This was the infamous interview that made Frary fans rejoice and several Mash fans threaten to quit the show. So, no, I don't agree that Laurie is playing both sides. Her allegiance and preference is quite freaking clear.
Especially given her further thoughts on Francis himself and his being the only good choice in a man Mary ever made. That ALL her other choices in men were poor.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Yeah, she probably came AFTER and said that to give the Frary fans hope as well, because the first one is very specific. LOL! So, you just keep on seeing what you want to see and I'll see what I want to see. Which is probably exactly how she planned it.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Especially given her further thoughts on Francis himself and his being the only good choice in a man Mary ever made. That ALL her other choices in men were poor.
Well, of course they were. Francis was a little sickly boy who wouldn't hurt Mary. She married (but loved them) a-holes after him. Obviously the Reign version of Francis isn't quite as innocent though. (Not trying to bring that whole history channel crap into the conversation, just saying.)

And she didn't CHOOSE Francis. He was chosen for her by their parents. It was planned from their youth and they grew up together knowing they would marry. They didn't know any better. The second time around SHE CHOSE and didn't listen to others. (Obviously the wrong choices, but interesting that she chose to CHOOSE herself and not take advice. It says something about her history and character.)
Old 02-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Elite Fan

Even before that interview I figured Laurie loved MF. She spoke about the history in her NYCC interviews (which are the first ones I ever saw). Frankly, her words in those early interviews-- her assurance that they'd merely be "filling in the gaps of history" rather than rewriting it-that's what made me confident I should watch and keep watching and trust the writing.

It might not be the history channel, but if I'm watching a show with Mary Queen of Scots as a character, I need some semblance of her real life to be portrayed. Things recorded by history. Like her love for Francis until her dying day.