Loyal Fan

Chicago PD Interview: Rick Eid talks season 5 themes, Jon Seda's return

Quote:

Source: X

The Rogue Prince
Old 09-26-2017, 11:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarice83 (View Post)
Chicago PD Interview: Rick Eid talks season 5 themes, Jon Seda's return

Thanks for the interview.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Chicago P.D. boss: It's going to get 'harder' to be 'a good cop in Chicago' in season 5

Consider season 5 of Chicago P.D. something of a rebuilding year.

With Sophia Bush’s Erin Lindsay headed to New York to work undercover in a counter-terrorism unit of the FBI, season 4 guest star Tracy Spiridakos takes a permanent seat as Hailey Upton. With Chicago Justice out of the picture, Jon Seda’s Antonio Dawson will be back on the team. And that’s just onscreen. Behind the scenes, P.D. is working with a new showrunner, Rick Eid (Law & Order: SVU), who explained to EW a bunch more of the ch-ch-changes heading our way… and they don’t look great for Voight (Jason Beghe).

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: I imagine Sophia Bush’s exit created a pretty significant shift in the series. Are we going to see a little bit more aftermath of Erin Lindsay’s departure?
RICK EID: In the season 5 premiere, her not being there is something people notice and comment on. But when actors leave, you move forward and you dramatize what you have in front of you playing with the actors we have.

Back in May, there was some talk about her coming back and wrapping up some stories. Are there any plans for that?

It’s too early to tell. I’m not sure about that.

How is Halstead handling her departure, especially since he was last seen expecting her to show up at Molly’s and maybe going to propose?

He and Voight in particular will feel her absence given their relationships, so they’ll both be dealing with her not being there in their own ways.

Is there a central theme for this season?

The real goal for this season is to try to attach this show to a time and place, and by that, I mean Chicago 2017. There’s a lot of interesting stuff going on in Chicago right now as it relates to the police department and to crime, so I think we’re really trying to locate the show in that universe more and really play what’s going on in society and in that particular city as much as possible. We’ll feel that our detectives are in that world.

It’s always been a really hard job to be a good cop in Chicago and it’s getting harder. There’s reform, the federal government is sort of helping them do their jobs, so to speak. So there’s a lot going on there that makes for interesting television, hopefully.

Are we going to see some of that reform and how it affects Voight especially?

Yeah. The goal remains the same: keeping the city safe and protecting its people, just how you get there might be a little different.

Is Halstead going to bounce back romantically or is it going to be awhile before he gets out there again?

I think he’s trying to work through some things in the early part of the season. Towards the end of the season, it’s possible, yes. But I think he’s trying to make sense of what’s happened. But there’ll be romance. There’ll be some romance and we’re going to explore their personal lives but I think he’s not in a place to pursue a meaningful relationship at the moment.

In the finale, Burgess was on leave as Marina Squerciati welcomed her first child. Is she going to remain on leave for a bit, or will she be back at the beginning of the season?

She is coming out of the box in episode 1. She’s going to be back in the saddle.

Speaking of the saddle, what’s the current state of her and Ruzek?

I think they both have strong feelings for each other and there’s still some lingering romantic tension there. We’ll see how that all plays out, but I don’t think early on necessarily they’ll be together but it’s something that’s possible.

Is Upton going to get in there and cause a little romantic drama?

We don’t know her very well… I think first and foremost with Tracy as Upton is to establish her as a person independent of her romantic beliefs and who she is. So we just want to really land her as a person and as a character, and then the romantic situation will sort of go from there.

How is Jon Seda going to re-enter the fold?

You’ll see him in the premiere. The way he comes back is there’s a need for him in this particular case and Voight reaches out to him and he appears on the show in a hopefully organic way and then he decides to stay. Voight wants him to come back, they have a great bond and a great relationship and I think deep down, he misses the excitement of being on the street and doing the type of cases that they do at Intelligence versus working at the State’s Attorney’s office.

You’ve got the 100th episode coming this season, though not for a while yet. Have you started to think about that?

We’ll do our best to make that a special episode. We’re building toward that so we don’t have anything specific on that right now, but we will do our best to make it worthy of the 100th episode, because that’s a heck of a landmark these days. I mean, not for Dick [Wolf] — he seems to have them all the time!

The Rogue Prince
Old 09-27-2017, 03:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the interview.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:35 PM
Loyal Fan

Chicago P.D.' Boss Breaks Down Sophia Bush's "Meaningful" Onscreen Farewell

Quote:
''New showrunner Rick Eid also discusses Halstead's struggles in the premiere episode and Voight's "toughest opponent yet."
[Warning: This story contains spoilers from Wednesday's season five premiere of Chicago P.D., "Reform."]

Det. Erin Lindsay (Sophia Bush) is gone but definitely not forgotten.

Chicago P.D. opened its season five premiere with a tribute to the now-former member of the Intelligence Unit, a series of clips showing everything from her recounting when Voight (Jason Beghe) and his late wife took her in off the streets as a troubled teen to her rollercoaster relationship with partner and beau Halstead (Jesse Lee Soffer) to, finally, her accepting a job with the FBI in New York from the season four finale, just as Halstead was about to propose.

The first new season five footage also hit hard on her exit, first with Halstead going back to her now-empty apartment and finding a picture of the two of them together, and then with Voight telling a stranger about how difficult it was to say goodbye to the woman he thought of as a daughter.

Even as Halstead dealt with the blowout from accidentally shooting a little girl during a bust, he asked Voight if he had heard from Lindsay. The answer? A definitive no. "Look, it was time for her to move on," Voight told him. "You need to make peace with it."

And with that, the new Chicago P.D. – after all the season premiere is titled "Reform" – got down to business. The hour set up new tensions between Voight and his boss (Esai Morales) as well as the new independent auditor, his old partner Denny Woods (Mykelti Williamson). The premiere also set the stage for Antonio's (Jon Seda) full-time return to Intelligence (following the cancellation of Chicago Justice) and also began to lay the groundwork for Halstead's new partnership with Det. Upton (Tracy Spiridakos), even as he struggled to cope with not only Lindsay's absence but the fact that he accidentally shot and killed a little girl.

There was also some movement on the romantic front, when Burgess (Marina Squerciati) informed ex-fiance Ruzek (Patrick John Flueger) that she was seeming someone new despite their kiss midway through season four.

New Chicago P.D. showrunner Rick Eid answered all of THR's burning questions about Burgess and Ruzek's "intense romantic connection," Voight's "toughest opponent yet," and to get the behind-the-scenes story on Lindsay's "meaningful" farewell.

The season five premiere opens with flashbacks of Lindsay's time on P.D. You could have easily gone the Law & Order route and not made mention of her exit so why did you think it was best to acknowledge her absence and in this way? Why was this the right way to start the episode?

We knew the unit would feel Lindsay’s absence in a meaningful way. Voight saw her as a surrogate daughter, Halstead wanted to propose to her last season, and she’s been an integral part of Intelligence from the start. So it felt right to acknowledge this new reality in the premiere.

We also see Voight getting emotional when talking with someone about Lindsay leaving Chicago. Can we assume this is some kind of therapy? Will he be going back? What makes him open up in such a way about her leaving?

Voight is a complicated character who has a hard time opening up to friends and colleagues. He’s more likely to open up to a perfect stranger. The woman he meets with in the premiere is more of a surrogate therapist than a professional psychologist. He may visit with this woman again. You’ll have to watch.

The case at the center of the episode is a big one for Halstead. Why, out of everyone in the unit, did you decide to have him be the one to accidentally shoot and kill a little girl?

From the start of the series, Halstead was set up as a white knight. He always had a strong moral compass. We wanted to throw him into the vortex of reform and racial tension prevalent in Chicago right now. It made sense to use Halstead because he is such an honest cop and we know he plays by the rules. If he can get blown up in this political climate, anyone can.

He still seems shaken up at the end of the episode so how will this event impact him going forward?

Halstead will certainly carry the weight of accidentally shooting and killing this little girl. It’s a wound he initially buries but will be forced to confront later. It’s an interesting and emotional season for Halstead.

There appears to be tension between Hank and the auditor, Denny Woods at the end of the episode. What can you say about their dynamic going forward?

The tension between Voight and Denny Woods won’t be going away. In fact, Woods may be Voight’s toughest opponent yet. He’s shrewd, calculating and politically powerful. He also has a personal vendetta against Voight, who tried to take him down last season. Bottom line: Voight would be a great trophy for Woods in this era of police reform.

Burgess also revealed in this episode that she's dating someone else. Why did you decide not to revisit the Burgess-Ruzek pairing after their kiss in season four?

This is a big season for Burgess as a cop. She always wanted to be in Intelligence and missed her first shot at the unit largely because of her romantic relationship with Ruzek This season she’s determined to focus on her career more than her love life, but once again they will intersect.

Is this person someone viewers already know? If and when will viewers see them together this season?

No, it isn’t someone that viewers have seen already.

What else can you say about this mystery man? How is her relationship with this new person different from her relationship with Ruzek?

I think Ruzek and Burgess will always have a very intense romantic connection. I wouldn’t give up on them just yet.

Episode 5x02 Promo

I think they made a mistake with the promo, they passed 5x03 instead of 5x02.

The Rogue Prince

Last edited by Clarice83; 09-28-2017 at 12:05 AM
Old 09-28-2017, 04:27 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the interviews, looking forward to this season.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:02 PM
Loyal Fan

Episode 5x02 Sneak Peeks

The Rogue Prince
Old 10-02-2017, 06:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the sneak peek.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Loyal Fan

Chicago PD - Episode 5.05 - Home - Press Release

Quote:
"CHICAGO PD"
"HOME"

10/25/2017 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Wednesday) : A SMUGGLING RING PREYS ON FOREIGN ADOPTEES. When Intelligence busts a meth lab run by gang leader Marshall Carter (guest star Aaron Roman Weiner), they uncover a re-homing scam in which children adopted from foreign countries are abandoned, then sold online. Meanwhile, Atwater (LaRoyce Hawkins) struggles with the difficult decision about whether to move his siblings Jordan (guest star Kylen Davis) and Vinessa (guest star Bobbi MacKenzie) to a safer environment outside of Chicago. Starring Jason Beghe, Jon Seda, Jesse Lee Soffer, Patrick John Flueger, Elias Koteas, Marina Squerciati, Amy Morton and Tracy Spiridakos. Guest starring Ethan Nguyen and Patrick Thompson.

The Rogue Prince
Old 10-03-2017, 04:05 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Chicago P.D. Star Marina Squerciati Talks Burgess' New Boyfriend, Losing Lindsay and Yelling at Voight

Chicago P.D.‘s Burgess has a mysterious new fella in her life, but her ex continues to have a hold on her heart.

Upton?
“I think Burgess still has feelings for Ruzek,” star Marina Squerciati tells TVLine. But while the emotions are there, “I just don’t think that it’s a good time for them, and she has to move on.”
That also means prioritizing her work, so in Wednesday’s episode (NBC, 10/9c), the Intelligence rookie puts all her focus on defending a Muslim patrol officer (guest star Ben Youcef) whom she trained. When the cop goes missing after a terrorist attack, he quickly becomes a suspect in the unit’s investigation. Burgess, however, is determined to prove his innocence, even if it means going up against her superiors.

“There’s a scene in this episode where I actually yell at Voight and challenge him,” Squerciati describes. “I get in his face. That was kind of awesome. I didn’t know Burgess had it in her, but she did.”

Below, the actress teases the arrival of Burgess’ boyfriend, and shares how both she and her character are dealing with the departure of Sophia Bush’s Lindsay.

TVLINE | What has it been like coming back to the show, not just from maternity leave, but with the cast changes and a new showrunner at the helm?
It was a little nerve-racking in the beginning. After being off for so long, you’re like, “What do I do with my hands?!” We had this great meeting in the beginning with [executive producer/director] Eriq La Salle and [showrunner] Rick Eid. It was this moment where they sort of brought us together with a really great speech. It felt like they acknowledged the change in the show, and how we were going to take [the show in] a new direction. It made us all feel unified, and I think that was really important, because we’ve been doing it for a while.

TVLINE | On-screen, Lindsay left without saying goodbye to Voight and Halstead, but she also left behind a friend in Burgess.
I know, right?! They don’t address that at all. [Laughs] Marina and Burgess are both equally sad. Marina got a definite goodbye. But Soph and I are still very close, so it’s not a goodbye. But for Burgess, I feel like she didn’t even have the courtesy to say goodbye. [Laughs]

TVLINE | I was looking back at our past interviews. The first one was about the episode in which Roman gets shot. Then Burgess was on trial, and in the last one, her sister was raped. One of these days, we’re bound to get on the phone about something happy, I hope.

[Laughs] Yeah, not the next episode. This episode, she’s like the person screaming in the wind, and no one is listening to her. It’s so interesting that she’s the newest member of Intelligence, and yet she goes against her bosses [and] her friends, and stands up for what she believes in, which is an incredibly brave thing to do [for] anyone, especially a female in a male-dominated world.

TVLINE | Why is this particular case so important to her?
Her friend happens to be a Muslim man being accused of a terrorist incident. She feels, deep in her bones, that it’s not the case. We’re dealing with that so much in the press right now. Not painting everyone in the same brush is really important. This is a Muslim that she knows. This is a cop, and she really loves this person and knows that he’s innocent. I think that’s a really good thing to show, truthfully.

TVLINE | Does it become an issue of her getting too emotionally invested in her cases? Is that something that is brought up during this season?
For sure. Burgess has been trying to sort of stamp down her big heart a little bit, and she’s doing a much better job. And also, those episodes that you’re referring to have sort of stamped it out of her as well. But we’re painting that emotional quality that connects her to the victims as really important to who Burgess is. It could be her greatest flaw and, at the same time, her greatest strength.

TVLINE | Going back to the season premiere, Ruzek was coming on so strong in the bar that I actually thought that maybe Burgess was making up the new boyfriend just to rebuff Ruzek.
Didn’t you do a quiz, and No. 15 was, “Is Burgess’ boyfriend fake?” Was that you?

TVLINE | That was our TV Questions column.
Yeah! It’s like the kid at camp who had a boyfriend in Canada… No, he’s very much real. I have not met him, but he’s coming up in the next episode we’re about to film. I asked Rick if I could be in on the casting. I was like, “I feel like I should choose him.” They were like, “No, thank you,” and politely declined. I was like, “What about a chemistry read?” and they’re like, “Stay in your lane, Marina.”

TVLINE | How serious is that relationship?
I don’t know, because I haven’t seen the script. I get the sense that it’s getting serious. But we’ll see. Burgess doesn’t have the greatest track record, so who knows?

TVLINE | What do you think she needs to see from Ruzek in order for them to get back together?
I don’t know… an element of dedication and seriousness, probably. But I think she’s moving on, too. I don’t think she’s just waiting for Ruzek to grow up. Right now, this is not their time.

The Rogue Prince
Old 10-03-2017, 04:12 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
In new season, ‘Chicago P.D.’ patrols more of the city

NBC’s “Chicago P.D.” is dealing with changes in front of and behind the camera, but Chicago viewers will notice a more subtle shift: We’re going to see a lot more of the city in the fifth season.

“We’re out in the city more, on location, which isn’t great for our poor, overworked crew, but storytelling-wise it’s a much more interesting show for the audience,” actor Patrick Flueger told the Sun-Times. “I think it’s going to be a show that’s on its feet a lot more.”

“The Thing About Heroes,” airing at 9 p.m. Wednesday, opens with Flueger’s Adam Ruzek patrolling a street festival at Laflin and Taylor with Kevin Atwater (LaRoyce Hawkins) and Kim Burgess (Marina Squerciati). The show filmed in 10 other locations throughout the city for the episode.

“Chicago P.D.” has pulled 95 permits since filming began July 19 for various location shoots, according to Rich Moskal, director of the Chicago Film Office. Over roughly the same period last year, it sought just 79 location permits.

Getting the intelligence unit out of the bullpen and into the neighborhoods fits into new showrunner Rick Eid’s plan to infuse the series with many of the social, cultural and political issues facing Chicago. Eid replaces Matt Olmstead, who helped create the series.

Eid comes to “P.D.” from another one of producer Dick Wolf’s series, “Law & Order: SVU.” That long-running series is famous for ripping its stories from the headlines.

The new “P.D.” season will tackle several hot-button issues, including police reform, immigration and, as viewers will see this week, the threat of terrorism.

“The world is a very interesting place right now, to say the least,” said Hawkins, a Harvey native. “I enjoy [the show] being current because it helps me … digest those [issues], and think about those things critically. Hopefully the audience does, too.”
Hawkins and Flueger were faced with a current issue first thing after their summer break. In last week’s season premiere, titled “Reform,” a child accidentally was shot by an officer during a gun battle. Later, their characters approached a black suspect and Ruzek, a white cop, drew on the man as he reached for his phone, escalating the situation. Atwater eventually calmed everyone down without a shot being fired.

While the show has yet to hit the issue of questionable police shootings head on, the conversation the detectives have after the standoff at least brought up opposing views on the controversial topic.

Both actors were initially shocked by the script, mostly because like the actors themselves, their characters are close friends and colleagues. The situation didn’t seem to fit their relationship.

“The first thing I did was call ’Royce and said, ‘Did you see this? Is Ruzek racist now?’ ” Flueger said. He also called Eid to bring up his reservations, who told him “the intention was not to change the character or to paint him in a bad light” but rather to bring up both sides of a real-world debate.

The episode introduced a new recurring character played by Wendell Pierce, Ald. Ray Price, who will inject more political dealings into the show as he pushes for police reform. Mykelti Williamson also returned to the cast, playing Denny Woods, who has been appointed as an independent auditor overseeing the Chicago Police Department.

The Intelligence Unit has a new look this season, too. Star Sophia Bush left the show last season when her character, Erin Lindsay, took an FBI job in New York City. Tracy Spiridakos has been upgraded to a regular cast member, playing Hailey Upton.

And with the cancellation of “Chicago Justice,” former “P.D.” star Jon Seda returned to the show just as his character, Antonio Dawson, went back to his old detective job.

“We were all, honestly, disappointed to hear ‘Justice’ wasn’t going forward. But selfishly, getting Jon back is great,” Flueger said. “I cheered; I jumped out of my seat.”

Seda has a big episode airing Oct. 11, when Dawson leads an investigation that sees the unit contending with the perception of the police among the city’s immigrant population.

Behind the camera, former “ER” star Eriq La Salle, who has directed episodes of “P.D.,” “Med” and “Justice,” becomes an executive producer and main director for the show. Brian Luce, the show’s longtime technical adviser, is now an associate producer as well.

Hawkins and Flueger believe all the changes have reinvigorated the series as it approaches its 100th episode in January. Just a year ago, its older sister show, “Chicago Fire,” hit that milestone.

“Not that anybody ever hated coming to work because we all love our jobs, but I don’t think you can find yourself discovering more to love about your job than the way we all have,” Hawkins said. “We’re about to get it cracking like chapped lips now.”

The Rogue Prince
Old 10-03-2017, 07:10 PM
Passionate Fan

Dang it, I was really team "fake boyfriend" for Burgess.

Can't wait to see Burgess and Voight face off. Sounds like it will be a really intense episode.

Thanks for bringing the interviews over!
For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is the one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest. Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well.” -Jamie Fraser
Lyns
Old 10-04-2017, 03:19 PM
Loyal Fan

Episode 5x03 Promo

Quote:
Chicago P.D.’ Casts ‘Ballers’ Alum Anabelle Acosta in Recurring Role for Season 5

Anabelle Acosta is joining “Chicago P.D.” Season 5 in a recurring role, Variety has learned exclusively.

Acosta will play Camila, making her first appearance in the seventh episode of the new season. In her premiere episode, Halstead (Jesse Lee Soffer) encounters Camila while he’s undercover working a case. His interaction with her and her family brings up a lot from his military past. Season 5 of the NBC series premiered last week.

Acosta is known for her roles in the hit HBO series “Ballers,” playing Annabella, and ABC’s “Quantico,” where she played FBI agent Natalie Vasquez. She was most recently seen in the E! drama “The Arrangement” and has appeared on episodes of “Supernatural” and “Castle.”

Born in Havana Cuba and raised in New York City, Acosta is a Meisner and Method trained and Julliard School of Drama alumni. She started her early acting and modeling career in New York City appearing in a series of national commercials and print ads. Her first big break into the acting world came in 2010 when she was cast for the lead role of Kelly in the independent film “We Made This Movie.” She was previously honored as one of Variety‘s 10 Latinos to Watch in 2016.

She is repped by Primary Wave Entertainment.

The Rogue Prince

Last edited by Clarice83; 10-04-2017 at 09:11 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread