Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2004, 09:28 PM
Passionate Fan

I think there's too much budgetary and logistical restraints involved with making comics into live-action tv shows. Comics that are based on vigilante-type characters or magic/legends are probably the only ones that could make a go of it. Any comics that involve mutants, monsters, robots or flying would be better suited as cartoons or CG animations.
thescoobygang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Or the budget of a big Hollywood movie.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:08 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by thescoobygang
I think there's too much budgetary and logistical restraints involved with making comics into live-action tv shows. Comics that are based on vigilante-type characters or magic/legends are probably the only ones that could make a go of it. Any comics that involve mutants, monsters, robots or flying would be better suited as cartoons or CG animations.
I don't know...Buffy and Angel had pretty successful runs, and they had many comic book type elements to them (even a couple of robots). Of course, some of the CG elements ended up looking a little crappier than they would have with a movie budget, but that kind of goes with the TV budget. In the end, as usual, I think it just comes down to the producers/writers putting out a quality product more than the effects or CG stuff.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

You have a good point Crow. Also movies can end up with cheesy looking effects too (ie, The CG Hulk).

Also, the X-Files comes to mind in terms of a quality TV show. It was better than most movies in that genre. So maybe it is possible with the right people. We won't know until it happens.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Elite Fan

Exactly. I'd love to see Joss Whedon and Co. on a X-men tv show. Or maybe J.J. Abrams on any full-on comic book tv show. That would be great.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Also, a lot of manga would make great TV shows. The WB alone would make a killing on all those teen soap opera ones.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Elite Fan

I don't know. If the show is any good, The WB usually only gives it about 6-8 months, then cancels it for low ratings...all the while keeping crap like Blue Collar TV and the Steve Harvey show chugging right along.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I like Jeff Foxworthy and Steve Harvey. They just need better shows.

Maybe they should break into comics...