Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyInWonderland (View Post)
I wonder if they will have Idina(sp?) and Kristen in it
I don't think it'd be the same without them. I mean, no one else could do 'Defying Gravity' justice, imo.
goodbreakingbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Passionate Fan

no i dont think anyone else could!
they both look great, and both of them still have AMAZING voices!

AshleyInWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Obsessed Fan

There has been talk for a while about the movie....nothing as serious as this though. I know in the previous talks there were rumors that if Cheno said no, then Reese Witherspoon would be cast.....
Old 08-06-2008, 04:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I haven't seen the musical, but I loooove the soundtrack, especially For Good, so I definatly want a movie
sanna_o75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Passionate Fan

i think that there is a good chance for it i mean they see how well musicals are doing right now!

Old 08-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Passionate Fan

While Wicked is my favorite musical, I'm a little nervous about how it will turn out.

I've always been a huge fan of musicals, having been brought up on them on those long car rides with the family, and taken to shows.

Lately I haven't really been impressed with the stage to screen adaptations that I've seen in theaters.

Granted it's hard to please everyone, but I feel as though most of the screen adaptations haven't lived up to my expectations at all.

That being said, I would go see the film, just because of my fascination with the play.

Some people have brought the issue of casting.
I feel as though is only fair to give the roles to the original cast members (Kristen, Idina, Norbert, Joel, etc.) They are the ones who I feel made the play a success and therefore the roles should belong to them.

The only problem with the giving the roles to Idina, Kristen, Norbert, etc is that part of the play does take place at Shiz and as much as they look good for their ages...I don't know if they would be willing to cast them for that reason.

Though I can't really picture anyone else in the roles if not for the original cast.

My thoughts on the debate between basing the film on the book versus the stage production, is that the play would be a better idea. Of course I did not enjoy the book, so maybe I am biased.

Last edited by princess8; 08-12-2008 at 12:31 PM
princess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Passionate Fan

i liked the book, i mean it was so different than the musical but it was good!

i am not too nervous about the movie though, because all the musicals have been good so far, rent mamma mia, producers, chicago, hairspray!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiCkLeS4dAwSoN (View Post)
I don't think it'd be the same without them. I mean, no one else could do 'Defying Gravity' justice, imo.
I really dont think Idina does Defying Gravity justice to be perfectly honest. Everybody thinks Idina is the best just because she was the first in the part but I've seen/heard plenty more capable actresses do a much better job. I personally think that Kerry Ellis does the best Defying Gravity and she's not even my favourite Elphaba.

I hope they cast relatively unknowns in the parts though. By the time this film is made Idina and Kristin (as much as I love her) will be way too old for the parts.

I'm really nervous seeing this translated onto screen though, they've done the stage version so well that I think they'll really have to get everything perfect to satisfy the fans.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I haven't heard any of the others yet....but I am partial to the initial cast because their's are the voices I've fallen in love with.
goodbreakingbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Obsessed Fan

i still think Idina was the best. Other people have done the role with better singing technique-wise. But i haven't seen anyone match Idina when it comes to the acting and the emotion she puts into the songs.

Kind of the same with Kristin..i haven't seen/heard one person sing the role as good as she does. And acting-wise, other actresses doing Glinda bug me..i don't know why...but there's always something i find off about their attempts...i don't know what it is though
Old 09-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Obsessed Fan

I think some of the current Glinda's are just too over the top. Cheno knew how far to take something to make it hilarious but never over the top like the current Glinda's....

I've seen the Broadway show 4 times (I'll be seeing it two more times the first week of October) and I've loved the 2 Elphie's I've seen so far. And only loved one of the Glinda's I saw.

It'll be interesting to see who eventually gets cast. I'm sure they will try and get Idina and Cheno....
Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Total Fan

I agree that other Glinda's seem to be over the top. I love Cheno a lot and think she brought a lot to the role but my favourite Glinda has to be Dianne Pilkington, especially now she's lost the chipmunky voice. I also love Helen Dallimore.. I can't stand Annaleigh though..

My favourite Elphaba has to be Alexia Khadime (current London cast), she's very Idina-like and has a fantastic voice on her. She also plays the part totally different from any other actress I have seen. Kerry Ellis is good, although I think she's a little weak with her acting. I like Idina but she's very hit and miss with her voice. A friend of mine seen Idina in London about10 times and said she only hit the notes in Defying Gravity twice..

I really think they'll cast either unknowns or big Hollywood names like they did with Mamma Mia. Idina and Kristin would be a little bit older when the film eventually gets made and I dont think they could carry off "being teenagers" anymore. Also I think Universal would want the film to be a commercial success and although Idina and Kristin have done some films/tv work, I wouldn't say they're huge stars... meh, we shall see.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Passionate Fan

so have we heard anything new????

Old 11-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Loyal Fan

Nothing new so far....

I guess it'll be a while before this really gets buzzing. The Los Angeles production of WICKED the musical is wrapping up in January 2009 then heading up north to San Francisco. I have a feeling the movie won't get made until the touring productions die down which, based on its humungous popularity, won't be any time soon.

But I will definitely keep an eye out and post any bit of info that I find. I guess I'll just bump this thread for the sake of bumping it, lol!
Brad Jen
SMUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Master Fan

I am sooo for this movie being made IF Kristin and Idina are cast... if not... I just don't know if I want to see it.
Reply   Post New Thread