Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2018, 11:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen's Herald (View Post)
love the mother! review, and agree, Jen's performance as Grace/mother Nature was very quiet, nuanced, and building slowly as her world spun off balance into literal oblivion. i would agree with Rosemary's Baby meets Misery and add a bit of The Matrix thematic elements. the diamond was indeed a game-changer for me, it took the allegory and multiple subthemes to a whole new level. wow!

i'm giving it 5/5 for cast and acting, 4.5/5 for cimematography/effects, 5/5 for plot and multiple subthemes, some of which i'm still looking at, 3/5 for marketing and promotional materials, though i did love the eerie posters. overall, i thought it a great and thought-provoking and intense indie suspense thriller (no horror at all)
and i think it will one day achieve cult status, and that is saying something.

two thumbs way up!
I think it will go down as Jennifer's most underrated performance. Ironically, it's my favorite role of hers, and definitely the most underappreciated!

I think a lot of people found the plot either too complicated or too obvious. I like the type of film that makes you think, and makes you question everything going on -- and Mother! did that, for me.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-30-2018, 02:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I didn't hate Mother!, Just disliked how I found it predictable.

I Feel Pretty (2018) Starring Amy Schumer, Michelle Williams, Emily Ratajkowski, Busy Phillips, Tom Hopper, Lauren Hutton.

Plot:

A woman struggling with insecurity wakes from a fall believing she is the most beautiful and capable woman on the planet. Her new confidence empowers her to live fearlessly, but what happens when she realizes her appearance never changed?

Rating:

Trainwreck (2015) Starring Amy Schumer, Bill Hader, Brie Larson

Plot:

Having thought that monogamy was never possible, a commitment-phobic career woman may have to face her fears when she meets a good guy.

Rating:

Ghostbusters: Answer The Call (2016) Starring Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Chris Hemsworth,

Plot:

Following a ghost invasion of Manhattan, paranormal enthusiasts Erin Gilbert and Abby Yates, nuclear engineer Jillian Holtzmann, and subway worker Patty Tolan band together to stop the otherworldly threat.

Rating:
Old 07-01-2018, 05:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi||iê Måë (View Post)
I didn't hate Mother!, Just disliked how I found it predictable.
I see what you mean But I actually give credit to Aronofsky, for sticking to what he set out to do (with the diamond) and not going in a different route altogether. To me, it was all about the chaos of their marriage and their internal struggles.

Forces of Nature (1999) --

Ben Affleck (Ben), Sandra Bullock (Sarah) and Maura Tierney (Bridget) embroiled in a love triangle (except that Bridget and Sarah don't meet in the movie).

Worth watching to see if Ben actually does get married after his road trip ends. Loved Steve Zahn as the cheeky best friend of Ben.

Rating = (out of 5)
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 07-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's good dramatically but I think someone pointed out in another thread how it was marketed as horror and it's not, it's dramatic/suspense. Shame of them for misrepresenting too.

I liked Forces but it seemed an upsetting end for the two even if more realistic.

Now and Then (1995) Starring Christina Ricci, Rosie O'Donnell, Thora Birch, Melanie Griffith, Ashley Ashton Moore, Rita Wilson, Gabby Hoffman, Demi Moore.

Plot:

Four 12-year-old girls grow up together during an eventful small-town summer in 1970.

Rating:

The Domestics (2018) Starring Kate Bosworth, Tyler Hoechlin

Plot:

In a terrifying post-apocalyptic world inhabited by gangs divided into deadly factions, a husband and wife race desperately across the countryside in search of safety and must work together as they are pushed to the breaking point in order to survive.

Rating:
Old 07-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

I think it was a lifetime movie. Revenge of the Patient or something like that.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 07-02-2018, 12:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Set It Up (2018) [Netflix] Starring Zoey Deutch, Glen Powell, Lucy Liu, Taye Diggs, Joan Smalls.

Plot:

Two corporate executive assistants hatch a plan to match-make their two bosses.

Rating:
Old 07-02-2018, 12:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Watched Fright Night and it's just not my thing at all despite David Tennant, Colin Farrell and Anton Yelchin's best efforts
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 07-02-2018, 07:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^^ I wasn't impressed with that one either but gave it a chance.

Chappaquiddick (2017) Starring Jason Clarke, Ed Helm, Jim Gaffigan, Kate Mara, Bruce Dern.

Plot:

Depicting Ted Kennedy's involvement in the fatal 1969 car accident that claims the life of a young campaign strategist, Mary Jo Kopechne.

Rating:

ED TV (1999) Starring Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, Ellen Degeneres, Jenna Elfman,

Plot:

A video store clerk agrees to have his life filmed by a camera crew for a television show.

Rating:
Old 07-04-2018, 03:05 PM
Obsessed Fan

Won't You Be My Neighbor?
This is the documentary on Fred Rogers of Mister Rogers Neighborhood. It was so heartwarming and sweet. His show wasn't a huge staple of my childhood but I love the lessons he taught on his show, so many are still resonant now.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^^ I've read about that, glad you liked it!

TAU (2018) Starring Maika Monroe, Ed Skrein, Gary Oldman.

Plot:

A woman is held captive in a futuristic smart house and hopes to escape by breaking into the computer programs that control the house.

Rating:

Mary Magdalene (2018) Starring Rooney Mara, Joaquin Phoenix, Chiwetel Ejiofor.

Plot:

The story of Mary Magdalene.

Rating:

White Oleander (2002) Starring Alison Lohman, Michelle Pfeiffer, Renée Zellweger, Robin Wright, Cole Hauser, Noah Wyle, Billy Connolly.

Plot:

A teenager journeys through a series of foster homes after her mother goes to prison for committing a crime of passion.

Rating:

Jurassic Park (1993) Starring Sam Neill, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, Richard Attenborough, Samuel L. Jackson, Wayne Night.

Plot:

During a preview tour, a theme park suffers a major power breakdown that allows its cloned dinosaur exhibits to run amok.

Rating:

Jurassic Park II: The Lost World (1997) Starring Jeff Goldblum, Julianne Moore, Pete Postlethwaite, Vince Vaughn, Peter Stormare.

Plot:

A research team is sent to the Jurassic Park Site B island to study the dinosaurs there while another team approaches with another agenda.

Rating:

Jurassic Park III (2001) Starring Sam Neill, William H. Macy, Téa Leoni , Alessandro Nivola, Trevor Morgan, Laura Dern, Michael Jeter.

Plot:

A decidedly odd couple with ulterior motives convince Dr. Grant to go to Isla Sorna, resulting in an unexpected landing, and unexpected new inhabitants on the island.

Rating:
Old 07-06-2018, 12:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I re-watched Thirteen Ghosts last night for the first time in years, and it's way more boring than it should be. Probably Matthew Lillard's most serious role (a rare thing, even though he still tries to act like the funny guy in parts) but the most interesting concept of the plot is the writing on the mirror walls which keep out the ghosts. Other than that, it's really boring (there were several times I stopped watching and put my earphones in to listen to music, then looked back to see that I hadn't missed anything) and other than the ghosts being cleverly designed, I mean they DO look creepy... It's just quite a dull film, unfortunately.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 07-06-2018, 04:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Ocean's 8 (2018) -

Tag (2018) -

Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
-
Old 07-07-2018, 05:04 PM
Addicted Fan

Mary Magdalene - somehow didnt work as a film and was pretty bored tbh

A Quiet Place - interesting horror concept

Chappaquiddick - pretty dry
Old 07-07-2018, 09:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

I Can Only Imagine (2017), inspirational film, great themes of faith and family and enjoyable while not preachy or overly religious. my Mennonite relatives rented this film from the redbox, while visiting them in Berlin, Ohio, on my way to visit other relatives in West Union, Iowa, for the 4th of July.

Clexa Forever! | may we meet again | Dave
Old 07-09-2018, 01:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

The Parent Trap (1998) is worth it for 6 reasons -

> The chemistry between Dennis Quaid + Natasha Richardson (somehow you buy the "I didn't know you wanted me to come after you" speech, Quaid really sells it)
> The bubbly on-screen persona of Lindsay Lohan, immersing herself into 2 roles
> The grandfather (Elizabeth's dad) being really sweet and understanding
> Meredith being relentlessly vain and money-hungry
> The chemistry between Chessy and Martin
> Sammy

I'd give it a full stars, because it's so entertaining, and romantic without being too sappy.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Closed Thread   Post New Thread