Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2018, 03:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Hi Linda! Fellow Borgias fan!

The thing is... Because the movie was based on reality, and a real time period in which social class standards were upheld, I can understand it more from Cal's point of view.

Jack was THAT guy. You know, the one who ruined a seemingly perfect engagement.

(I'm not saying that's how it was - I'm saying that's how Cal, and Rose's mother, will have seen it. )
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-09-2018, 05:00 AM
Absolute Fan

I understand that the movie is based on reality and back then things were so different in the early 1900's. But seeing the struggles and just how miserable Rose was with her life, I can't help but have much more sympathy for her, because unlike Cal, Rose was actually suffering mentally in this loveless engagement, she was practically miserable to the point of being suicidal, how could I have more sympathy for a pompous and controlling man over a woman who was so unhappy and actually suffering? It was completely understandable that she would run into the arms of the man who provided the much needed love and solace and freedom she desperately wanted and needed in order to survive. I would rather Rose be happy than to die of misery and suffering, Jack was her savior, her one true source of love and comfort and happiness, so I can't help but root for them the entire time, they deserved to be happy together!
Sure Cal was cheated on and he felt betrayed, but he's a man, men back then had so much power and control and privilege in the world, he could've easily just moved on with another woman later on (which he did). Life was so much harder for women back then, so they deserve more sympathy than Cal.

And Rose's mother knew how unhappy Rose was about her engagement, but she did nothing to stop it, she did nothing to help her own daughter, she was the one who forced Rose into this unwanted engagement in the first place after all. But I can understand that that was how the world worked back then.

Last edited by LindaL100; 06-09-2018 at 05:11 AM
Old 06-09-2018, 05:00 AM
Absolute Fan

EDIT: Sorry I accidentally double-posted...can a moderator please delete this reply please, somehow I can't delete my own posts.

Last edited by LindaL100; 06-09-2018 at 05:12 AM
Old 06-09-2018, 06:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

^ Unfortunately, Linda, double posts can't be deleted.

I think Rose's mother was in a difficult position, too Her husband had died, leaving them in debt. She did what she had to, in order to survive.

But the look on her face when she's seeing the ship half engulfed in water, knowing that her daughter's still on there and might die, showed how much she loved Rose.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-09-2018, 07:13 AM
Absolute Fan

I understand why Rose's mother did what she did, they were in debt after Rose's father died, so she forced her daughter to marry a wealthy man for financial security to ensure that they would be able to survive, it's an understandable reason. And I don't doubt that Ruth loved her daughter, but seeing Rose so unhappy and suffering to the point that she would even contemplate suicide, and Ruth not doing anything to help her daughter ease her misery, while I do think Ruth loved her daughter, but she prioritised security over the happiness of her own daughter, I think it was still quite cruel. But I understand that times were different back then, society was so different a century ago compared to the modern world now, women back then didn't have the privilege of happiness or freedom or control over their own lives.

Imagine if Rose never met Jack and she really jumped off the ship that night, it would've been heartbreaking for Ruth if she knew her daughter had killed herself because she was responsible for her own daughter's misery and suffering. Fortunately she met Jack on the ship and he saved her life, it was like fate had brought them together, they were the very definition of star-crossed lovers who were destined to meet each other on the ship
Old 06-09-2018, 08:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL100 (View Post)
Imagine if Rose never met Jack and she really jumped off the ship that night, it would've been heartbreaking for Ruth if she knew her daughter had killed herself because she was responsible for her own daughter's misery and suffering. Fortunately she met Jack on the ship and he saved her life, it was like fate had brought them together, they were the very definition of star-crossed lovers who were destined to meet each other on the ship

Jack got her to admit that she was never going to go through with killing herself; standing on the edge of that ship was like a cry for help.

ROSE: "You have a gift, Jack. You do. You see people."
JACK: "I see you."
ROSE: "And?"
JACK: "You wouldn't have jumped."

I agree, though, there were was an element of destiny to their relationship Sadly, for Jack, it was a tragic one.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-09-2018, 09:16 AM
Absolute Fan

Well technically Rose did not outwardly admit that, she just stopped smiling and looked at him when he said "you wouldn't have jumped". Before Jack found her she certainly looked ready to jump, and she was so emotional in that scene, she probably wasn't thinking clearly, if Jack had not intervened I think she would've jumped. But meeting Jack really gave Rose a new sense of hope, and yes what happened to Jack was so tragic, I always cry but I love that Rose later adopted Jack's name
Old 06-09-2018, 04:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

Titanic remains such a fascinating movie, tragedy, historical time, and the end of the Edwardian Era. it's still in my top 20 favorite films after all this time, and that is saying something!

Rose would definitely have jumped, if Jack had not intervened. but Fate also intervened and propelled them on a course to meet that night, both crossing the paths of life for such a short time. that is also such a great theme of the film, living a full life no matter long or short your time here is.

wealth definitely eases and impacts your existence, but it doesn't fix everything, or even chase away the demons. money just makes the demons so much more a factor in your existence, and harder to see the forest through the trees. there are so many themes in Titanic, class warfare, materialism, arrogance, hubris, gender politics, bigotry, shortsightedness, failure of responsibility and consequence, the slavery of forced and arranged marriages, and on and on.

great characters and a great film, awards well deserved! two thumbs way up! and still one of only three films to ever break $2 Billion Dollars worldwide boxoffice, the other two being Avatar and SW Force Awakens.

Clexa Forever! | may we meet again | Dave
Old 06-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Actually DP can be deleted by the moderators but it's okay for now.

Quote:
Titanic remains such a fascinating movie, tragedy, historical time, and the end of the Edwardian Era. it's still in my top 20 favorite films after all this time, and that is saying something!
So agree!

It's sad that people were defined because of their wealth and if that was gone, so was their status in society.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:16 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen's Herald (View Post)
Rose would definitely have jumped, if Jack had not intervened. but Fate also intervened and propelled them on a course to meet that night, both crossing the paths of life for such a short time. that is also such a great theme of the film, living a full life no matter long or short your time here is.
I completely agree, Jack was her savior in many ways, not only did he literally save her life, he also saved her soul from a world of complete darkness and loneliness and sadness, he came and he gave Rose a new sense of hope and lease on life, for the first time in Rose's life, she was happy because of Jack. Even though they had very little time together, but those times they spent together were precious and beautiful and will forever be remembered in Rose's mind. Jack gave her the love and comfort and freedom she desperately yearned, it was like Jack came along and freed her out of her cage, how could I "not" support this beautiful couple wholeheartedly? Their lovestory was so touching and compelling and really brought me to tears

I really think Jack was the great love of Rose's life, even though after the tragic accident, Rose eventually moved on with her life and married another man and had kids, but she always remembered Jack, always held onto his memory. And not to mention she reunited with him in the end either she died and reunited with Jack in the afterlife or she was dreaming, it was never clearly established, but either way she reunited with Jack in the end If Jack had survived then I definitely think he and Rose would've settled down and created a beautiful life and family together the only reason Rose moved on with her life and with another man was because Jack tragically died which forced her to move on and build a life with someone else, she kept her promise to Jack till the very end.

Last edited by LindaL100; 06-09-2018 at 10:22 PM
Old 06-10-2018, 01:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The only upset for Titanic for me is Jack's death. They could have had such a life and to go through what we know is coming in the sinking tragedy already, to have him die.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi||iê Måë (View Post)
The only upset for Titanic for me is Jack's death. They could have had such a life and to go through what we know is coming in the sinking tragedy already, to have him die.

I always think of BRUCE ALMIGHTY when I think of Jack's death --

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-10-2018, 02:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That's too funny!
Old 06-10-2018, 02:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

"Could you have taken turns?" Pretty much my thought when I first saw it.

I maintain that the plank of wood was big enough for them both, but she was too cold to move over and he was too cold to jump up.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-10-2018, 02:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

What was worse is there was room for both and if it weren't for the fact they were in such frigid waters, no energy, after swimming like mad to avoid being sucked into the sinking ship itself, he may have lived.

But in reality, their level of exhaustion would have been too much.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread