Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 05:02 AM
Ultimate Fan

I also haven't been watching movies lately.

Quote:
Originally posted by Profaine Angel:
<STRONG>Have you seen the Vivien Leigh version? I've seen three all up - and still haven't read the book [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] - these two and an obscure French/British co-production which was probably my favourite of the lot.</STRONG>
I think I watched only the Greta Garbo movie and the Sophie Marceu movie (maybe that was the obscure french/British production that you mention). I liked Sophie Marceu much more as Anna than Garbo.
I don't rememeber Vivien Leigh as Anna. So, I don't think I saw that. Now, I really hope I'll get to see it soon.

I haven't seen Good News. I'm afraid I've never even heard of it until now.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:18 AM
Passionate Fan

They didn't have a Chaplin thing for his birthday. I looked in the tv guide. Strange. They always seem to have something about him and that day of all days they didn't.

I watched Monkey Business yesterday finally. I've been wanting to for a while. Cary Grant looked suprisingly young in it; I figured he'd look rather old. But he looked a lot like he did in Bringing up Baby which I watched this morning. Monkey Business wasn't all that entertaining actually and Marilyn Monroe was barely in it, about as much as she was in Clash By Night. I kind of wonder why it is in The Diamond Collection 2. Oh well. On the back it made it sound like Marilyn's character took the anti-aging potion but she didn't. I was disappointed.
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Maliejandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Master Fan

Okay, I watched Preston Sturges' The Lady Eve the other night and loved it! Even though the story didn't make much sense in the end...

I just adore Barbara Stanwyk, and although I never thought of Henry Fonda as a hunk, he was just drool worthy in this film! And they were so hot together! YUMMY!

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 12:58 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Angeli_Dean:
<STRONG>I haven't seen any movies lately. I feel like such a bad classic movie fan.</STRONG>
I've been the same way. Last thing I watched was The Palm Beach Story and that was ages ago.

But I have an excuse because I'm in the process of moving. Real life is a bitch sometimes. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

shrrshrr, I love that movie. I think it's the only Barbara Stanwyck movies I've seen (though I'm sure I'm forgetting something). She's fabulous in it. And I agree with you that it was the first movie I saw that made me think Henry Fonda was kinda cute. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-21-2004: Message edited Jess519 ]
Old 04-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Master Fan

Ooh, really? Because Ball of Fire with Barbara Stanwyck and Gary Cooper (Gary Cooper...) [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img] is fantastic. You must see it!

I just adore young Barbara Stanwyk - and she wasn't bad on "Big Valley," either!

My LJ for Movies
Old 04-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Passionate Fan

I've been watching The Thief of Bagdad lately (It seems I never can sit down and watch a movie all the way through). Doug Fairbanks is amazing in it. I never really realized how graceful being athletic could be. And he's so fun in it. Now that I've found the likable side of him (The Black Pirate bored me), I'll have to watch some more of his movies.
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Old 04-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by shrrshrr:
<STRONG>Ooh, really? Because Ball of Fire with Barbara Stanwyck and Gary Cooper (Gary Cooper...) [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img] is fantastic. You must see it!

I just adore young Barbara Stanwyk - and she wasn't bad on "Big Valley," either!</STRONG>
Thanks for the rec! Haven't seen that one.

Of course I was wrong in my original post. I've also seen her in Stella Dallas and Christmas in Connecticut. And of course I've always wanted to see Double Indemnity, but never got around to it.

Was looking around at classic film stars filmographies yesterday and realized that for some reason the person I've seen in the most films is Myrna Loy. I haven't really tried to see tons of her movies, but that's the way its worked out.

And then there's other "greats" where I haven't seen any of their films. Need to work on that.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:26 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I think I watched only the Greta Garbo movie and the Sophie Marceu movie (maybe that was the obscure french/British production that you mention).
Unfprtunately, no. It had Louis Gauthier, Jean Rousselière, and Rita Waterhouse - heard of any of them? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] (I hadn't!)

I [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] Monkey Business but it didn't seem to hold up as well the second time I saw it [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

shrr, I adore you [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Barbara love!! [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img] I adore The Lady Eve, although it's not my favourite, I had to get the Criterion DVD just because it was THERE and it's fabulous, made me like the film even more [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And Ball Of Fire -- my absolute favourite!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
Was looking around at classic film stars filmographies yesterday and realized that for some reason the person I've seen in the most films is Myrna Loy. I haven't really tried to see tons of her movies, but that's the way its worked out.
Hehe, I love when that happens. Like you think, oh I've seen five or six of their films...then go count and it's more like 20 or 30! I know my most is the aforementioned Stanwyck, at something like 65 of her films by now - give or take, I can't be bothered counting [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] There's like 12 of hers I don't own yet plus two I own but haven't seen. Myrna Loy, off the top of my head, about 12 or 13? -- OK, I just went and counted, and 22 [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I didn't realise that!!

And then I've only seen one Norma Shearer film, no full length Mary Pickford, and all these other incredibly famous people, I've seen one or nothing of. Bah [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Profaine Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Master Fan

Hear! Hear!

I'd seen the remake with Danny Kaye, and while I love the jazz music (and seeing all those great jazz musicians), it's no where near as cute as Ball of Fire.

Plus - what a great combination - Gary and Barbara. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

My LJ for Movies
Old 04-24-2004, 01:50 PM
Passionate Fan

I don't mean to bash, but I don't understand why everyone seems to love Barbara Stanwyck so much. Ball of Fire bored me; I didn't finish it.

I finshed watching The Theif of Bagdad. It was good, but too long. Near the end I was just wishing it'd be over already. The special effect were cool and actually pretty decent for the time. Only the underwater scene lasted for way too long; no person could hold their breath that long.

I am so excited. Four new Marilyn Monroe movies were just released. They look to be in the same format that the Diamond Collection movies were, but they're golden instead. The movies are We Aren't Married, As Young As You Feel, Love Nest, and Let's Make it Legal. Woo hoo!

[ 04-24-2004: Message edited Maliejandra ]
Old 04-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Master Fan

No worries.

You just seem to feel about Marilyn Monroe like we feel about Barbara Stanwyck - everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

I don't know what it is about her, but she's just snappy and savvy, and WAY cool. Just look at her in Meet John Doe! SO hot! She practically sizzles off the screen! Plus - Gary Cooper... [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img]

My LJ for Movies
Old 04-25-2004, 10:51 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I don't know what it is about her, but she's just snappy and savvy, and WAY cool
And she's so pretty [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And can play ANY part and never give a bad performance. I mean some people, you take them out of a comedy and put them in a straight drama and they'd flounder, or not be believable. But Barbara Stanwyck was as equally perfect in comedies, dramas, westerns, musicals, she could be sweet and loveable or icy and evil, tough or tough but vulnerable, and even if she was a bitch you had to love her anyway! And yeah - own opinions and variety makes things interesting [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] BUT you should give BOF another chance though, it is seriously the best film ever. Ever [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] it has everything! It's fun and funny, it's exciting, Gary's cute, Barbara's gorgeous, there's romance, tears...etc.. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I love her character too, one of the Capra-esque types of hardened dames who have to use a man for some reason or other and start off looking down on him...and of course end up falling in love with him and then he goes and breaks her heart because he doesn't realise she's not all bad [img]smilies/bawl.gif[/img]

I'll seriously not settle until everyone I know has seen the film [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I think my second favourite Barbara film could possibly be So Big but I really have a soft spot for Golden Boy for some reason I really can't figure out!

[ 04-25-2004: Message edited Profaine Angel ]
Profaine Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:07 AM
Ultimate Fan

Hi [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by shrrshrr:
<STRONG>I'd seen the remake with Danny Kaye</STRONG>
I used to love Danny Kaye when I was a kid. I haven't seen a movie with him in ages.

Barbara Stanwyck : I don't have much of an opinion. I watched Meet John Doe and loved it. But Barbara didn't impress me much. Maybe I should watch more movies with her.

I love Marilyn Monroe. [img]smilies/love.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2004, 10:44 AM
Master Fan

Marilyn's cool - she's just not a favorite, although she was when I was younger, just like Danny Kaye (I used to LOVE his films, which is what eventually led me to Ball of Fire). I loved watching both of them during Saturday matinees (yes, this was pre-cable days, when most people actually got up and touched their television to change the channel!). [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

My LJ for Movies
Old 04-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Profaine Angel:
<STRONG> I love her character too, one of the Capra-esque types of hardened dames who have to use a man for some reason or other and start off looking down on him...and of course end up falling in love with him and then he goes and breaks her heart because he doesn't realise she's not all bad [img]smilies/bawl.gif[/img]
</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] For the most part, from what I've seen, I HATE Capra! His movies were so dull, so political. I abhor them. I didn't like
Platinum Blonde -almost made me hate Jean Harlow (had I not tried again, I would have). The only funny part was the garters joke.
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington -completely dry
It's A Wonderful Life -(although I haven't seen it in years, I remember hating it as a kid
You Can't Take it With You -a few scenes were good, but overall, NOPE

I liked It Happened One Night though.
Reply   Post New Thread