Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorton17
Perhaps the book is the difference, I didn't read it and I do like the original. It just seemed like a more normal movie. I understand the some parts are ridiculous, but Burton seemed to turn it into a freak show.

Ahh... you need to read the book. Charlie and the chocolate factory is all about weirdness and reveling in the freakness of life... or atleast thats what I got out of it.. but burton tends to focus on the freaky-side in all his films...

-the nightmare before xmas
-beetlejuice
-edward scissorhands
Old 07-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Elite Fan

I just saw a great film from Canada. Well, it's a not a "great film" but it sure is good. "New Waterfod Girl", saw it for Andrew McCarthy but loved it for the leading character. She's a newcomer, I read. She did a great job. Will buy this on DVD.

Andrew was extra amazing, of course. He's so handsome.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Obsessed Fan

Watched The Harvey Girls last night. Good god, that was the fugliest male lead I've ever seen. Somebody Hob-yuck. He looked like Mr. Potato Head. I can't believe Judy Garland had to kiss that.

Til further notice
I'm in between
From where I'm standing
My grass is green
Old 07-28-2005, 06:56 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by genki
Ahh... you need to read the book. Charlie and the chocolate factory is all about weirdness and reveling in the freakness of life... or atleast thats what I got out of it.. but burton tends to focus on the freaky-side in all his films...

-the nightmare before xmas
-beetlejuice
-edward scissorhands
That's what kills me about Burton, his focus on the wierd. Most of the time it's just too wierd for me to like.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take -Wayne Gretzky
Old 07-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niffler
Yeah, I have seen it jt. I actually own a bootlegged copy. lol. I had posted about it a few pages ago though.
Glad you liked it. I wish a few people I know would see it. And all of the predjudice a-holes. Heh.

Old 07-30-2005, 04:56 AM
Obsessed Fan

What's this, mukooh? The picture, I mean.

Meanwhile, the girl who lives down the hall has been bugging me morning, noon, and night, always wanting to watch yet another of my DVDs. I love these movies, of course, but if she keeps this up, I'm afraid I might wear them out for me!

Til further notice
I'm in between
From where I'm standing
My grass is green
Old 07-30-2005, 06:50 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Bing
What's this, mukooh? The picture, I mean.
it's a joke....
Old 07-31-2005, 11:45 AM
Elite Fan

I saw The Jacket yesterday on DVD. I really like it and will get it soon. It was not an amazingly amazing movie but I liked it.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:29 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukooh
it's a joke....
...that I didn't get. And still don't get, by the way.

I watched Hitchcocks. The Birds (was funny and scary) and Vertigo (funny how Jimmy Stewart at 50 sounds exactly the same as Jimmy Stewart at 28 ).

Til further notice
I'm in between
From where I'm standing
My grass is green
Old 07-31-2005, 10:18 PM
Elite Fan

Anyone want to start the new thread?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Loyal Fan

Just watched sky high. It had looked pretty cool from the trailers and Bruce Campbell was a big draw for me, as was Kurt Russell. It was good, looks like it could end up being a sleeper hit. It had a redeeming story but was also kind of a parody of super-heroes.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Extreme Fan

I am planning to start it when this one's done in 3 more posts
No worries.

So I am back from NY. Man, what an uber-stressful week. But my mom is doing well.

Still trying to sell my computer for the hospital bills, so if anyone knows anyone who wants an incredible computer at a ridiculously fantastic price, please PM me.

So I haven't seen any movies this week since I was away, but I have four lined up for this week, so the new thread will be bumpin'!

Hope you're all well.
Take care,
Sara
Bunny #69
http://sctransresources.org
Old 08-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niffler
I am planning to start it when this one's done in 3 more posts
No worries.

So I am back from NY. Man, what an uber-stressful week. But my mom is doing well.

Still trying to sell my computer for the hospital bills, so if anyone knows anyone who wants an incredible computer at a ridiculously fantastic price, please PM me.

So I haven't seen any movies this week since I was away, but I have four lined up for this week, so the new thread will be bumpin'!

Hope you're all well.
Take care,
Sara

glad to hear that your mom is doing well
Old 08-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Obsessed Fan

Hey, Niffler! Glad to hear from you again. That's too bad about your computer, but at least your mom's fine now. Why don't you try eBay?

Re: movies. Do! Do!

Re: my movies. Charlie opened here yesterday. Oh, it was awesome, of course, and you could just "cannibalize" Johnny Depp, but... (yes, there's a 'but') I think I prefer the original version, too. (*gasp*) It's just that, for me, this one, for all the spectacular spectacular, seemed kind of empty. Even the added Christopher Lee backstory didn't help. Actually, with the weird way it was dealt with, I think it only hurt the movie. And I didn't feel the magic. It's not about special effects or brighter colors. They may have even used the original songs, but you watch 'Willie Wonka' and you listen to 'Pure Imagination' and you just feel it. This, for all it's wittiness (I loved that 2001 bit) and trained squirrels, doesn't.

Til further notice
I'm in between
From where I'm standing
My grass is green
Old 08-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Loyal Fan

Saw the Alamo-- Better than I expected. I was actually expecting a bad movie from what the critics had said, but it wasn't for me. I liked it, Billy Bob Thorton was good, as always. Very good and the Mexican general Santa Anna had extremely good charisma. Good movie though, maybe not a great movie, but good, worth my netflix rental.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread