Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Elite Fan

Good movie...Steve, Paul, & Abagil really stood out.

kenny | credit
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Master Fan

I've heard so many rave reviews from friends I may not wait until it comes out on DVD!

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Moderator Support Team

shrr - You should check it out!!
Enigma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Dedicated Fan

I really wanna see this movie...i've heard it was really funny and awesome...

my sister and my cousin saw it without me!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWalker (View Post)
shrr - You should check it out!!
I was planning on seeing it this weekend with friends, but I had to postpone my vacation.

I'll try and catch it next week and let you all know what I think.

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Part-Time Fan

coming from a pageant background, I LOVED IT!
Old 08-26-2006, 01:28 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I am finally seeing this today, it came here, finally! Well, near here, but I'm going, lol.
goodbreakingbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Moderator Support Team

Cool. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Obsessed Fan

Just watched the movie this morning with my sister.

I have no idea where to even start. I guess by saying that it's easily the best movie I've seen this year. I don't understand why studios can't get it right like this more often. It was a perfect script, director and I'll get more detailed with the acting in a bit.

There were actual moments in the movie where I was worried that I was going to "geek out" and not stop laughing. I literally had tears coming out because I was laughing so hard (This pretty much never happens when I'm watching a movie). The entire theatre was laughing throughout the movie. And there were moments, practically seconds from the huge laugh out loud moments where your heart was breaking.

Acting wise, this was a perfectly cast movie. There wasn't a single person that was miscast. Toni Collette (who is so fantastic in everything she does...to name a movie that everyone knows of hers...I still get want to cry if I even think of her scene in the Sixth Sense in the car) She's a real chameleon when it comes to acting and she's exceptional in this as well. Greg Kinnear was also really enjoyable in the movie. And his character had a really decent, realistic arch.
Paul Dano was also really good---I don't think people realize how hard it is to act without having any dialogue for pretty much 3/4 of the movie. His huge scene was wonderfully acted. Alan Arkin was hilarious! Outstanding dialogue was written for him and he delivered the lines wonderfully.

Ok now onto the two standouts in the movie, and everyone in the world knows the two I'm going to talk about.

Abigail---She was the anti-Dakota and thank god for that. She played the role in the proper way. As a child. She's an amazing talent and I can't wait to see more from her in the future. Her character is the heart and soul of this movie. At the beginning she was so adorable running around the house, packing up and then a few scenes later she's breaking your heart and then just seconds later you are laughing your a$$ off. She's just great.

Steve Carell--Where to even start. This man is a genius--and yes I'm aware that people throw that word around like crazy to see if it eventually sticks on someone, but this time it's holding on. He was PERFECT in the role. I wish someone would change the title to spoilers because I hate using the spoiler tags. But there are so many amazing scenes I could talk about where I was blown away by him. He was so subtle in his acting, nothing was ever over the top where you get annoyed (think the anti Jim Carrey). He was funny in a slight way that made you laugh harder and he was silent and introspective in a way that made you truly feel for the character and for the situation around him.

I just don't have enough good things to say about this movie and I'll be seeing it again--hopefully sometime this week with my mom.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

^^^I adored your post, I feel pretty much the same way. It topped POTC2 as the best movie I'd seen so far this season, it was just amazing, and even that's putting it lightly. The writing, acting, directing, everything was just incredible! I laughed so hard I cried, and it touched me so much in places, and omg, I just can't wait for the DVD! Steve stole my heart even more, as if I didn't love the guy enough. Abigail...........let's just say, Dakota has some competition now. Greg, Toni, Alan, Paul.......seriously, they were just as amazing!

I laughed so hard with the van not being able to be stopped and them having to push it and hop it. And, the dance number at the end was effin' hilarious!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Moderator Support Team

taovande - I adored your post! We are totally in sync as I completely agree with everything you said.

So true what you said about Paul and acting for the most part w/o dialogue. he really stood out to me in the movie. Loved him.

So true what you said about Toni Collette as well. She truly is a chameleon and I've become more impressed with her over the past several years especially.

And I love Dakota, but I agree about seeing a kid act like a kid. Abigail was just teriffic..........like you said.............one minute making you laugh and smile and in another one, breaking your heart.

I'm a huge Steve fan, but I think the first time around I didn't appreciate just how fantastic he was. But, you are so right about his subtlety.

Anjinator - That dance scene owns my heart.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, that wasn't me saying anything against Dakota, she's amazing (to say the least), but there hasn't really been anyone else her age that has been up to par...at least yet, but I think Abigail is making her mark now.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:37 AM
Jay
Master Fan

the movie looks like it has great potential and heart in it...maybe i should check it out. Besides with Steve Carrell, it should be funny.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I definitely think you should.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Obsessed Fan

This doesn't really spoil the plot or anything so I'll just put it out there...

But who else on the planet can make it funny to run funny and then stop really fast for sliding doors to open and then run a bit further and do the same thing....Only Steve can do it...he's just so good!
Reply   Post New Thread