Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2015, 12:10 PM
Elite Fan

Haha, thanks for that clip! And I agree, I prefer the deeper films with more meaning, and so does Hugh, but he said for a while directors wouldn't give him those roles. Darren Aronofsky didn't give him The Fountain until he actually had a conversation with him and went to his Broadway play and realized he was an extremely profound guy and very, very talented. It was the same with Chris Nolan. I think since most people, including directors, didn't see his theater stuff to know how phenomenal of an actor he is, Hugh had to prove he was more than just an extremely athletic, charismatic handsome face. Plus, there were articles that said Studio Executives thought he was too much of a nice, sensitive guy in real life to be placed as a leading man in certain films, so Hugh had to prove them wrong, which I think he did.

Oh, gosh - yes, do watch it if you can - Swordfish made me drool. One of the sexiest hacker in the history of movie computer hackers:

Plus, John Travolta's character is just comical, and Halle Berry is sexy in that movie too.
-The Holy Qur'an [13:16]
Old 04-28-2015, 11:52 PM
Elite Fan

There are people who don't know what Hugh has done in theater... He's famous more for X-Men ... Here in Greece we don't have the chance to see him in Broadway ... we only watch his movies...

The pic is so drooling Thanks

~ Pari ~ addicted to brainies Icon by me
Old 04-29-2015, 07:12 AM
Elite Fan

It's very understandable for fans to not know that ... I didn't even know that. Even in the U.S. half of my friends still don't know he's a theater actor and I initially only found that out because I researched him and found videos of him doing theater on YouTube. I, too, initially only knew Hugh from X-Men and was in shock when I first saw him in another role play a character completely different. None of his movies other than X-Men and Les Miserables are really that popular in the U.S., so before Les Miserables, many really had no idea how talented he was unless they were hardcore theater lovers or looked up his body of work on imdb. Most of my friends have never even heard of The Fountain and most of them have heard of The Prestige, but had never seen it. So that should give you an idea of how under-exposed he is in the U.S. His non-X-Men movies, other than Les Miserables, don't do well at the box office. And that's partly what bugs me ... that he's that under-exposed.

It also just bugs me that his non-X-Men work is so underexposed that for the longest, it was even all Hollywood directors knew him for, and to me, directors don't have an excuse and they're the ones I'm referring to. They judged him before they had even seen his entire body of work. Finally some realized his talent and decided to work with him.

You're welcome

Last edited by ~Search4Truth~; 04-29-2015 at 07:44 AM
Old 04-29-2015, 09:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

Actors are always remembered for their biggest roles. That's the most talked about, highest grossing and most seen by those around the globe. Hugh will always be predominantly known as Wolverine. He prevented himself from being typecast as that guy though. Arnold, Sly, JCVD...they all couldn't stop the typecast. Hugh did.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Elite Fan

Imo, Arnold & Sly are less talented than Hugh...I don't remember have seen a good movie of them besides Terminator and Rambo/Rocky. (If I missed smt, feel free to tell me)

It was almost the same with Benedict... this man has done amazing projects on theater, radio, TV but most of the in U.K....However he had minor roles in Hollywood movies and Oscar Nominated ones such as 12 Years a Slave, August: Osage County and War Horse...he became popular by Sherlock, though (which is one of the better series I've seen)... It's unfair because all his projects are very special .....after his Oscar Nomination we're going to see him in very different projects and this is fantastic!!!

Old 04-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

I would agree, but talent like that is subjective. We all have different ways we measure and judge things/people. Some would go on box office numbers in which case Arnold and Sly drastically beat Hugh. To me, an actor is proved by drama movies. Hugh in, recent examples, Prisoners, Prestige and Les Miserables has proven he can do those action roles AND then melt comfortably into those strong roles with emotional connection to his characters.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Elite Fan

Hugh's breakdown scene in The Fountain is one of the best displays of dramatic acting I have ever seen from a man. He cries more naturally than most actors I can think of (even in Les Miserables, Prisoners, and The Prestige). On stage, I saw him cry right in front of me when he did his play and it was effortless, realistic, not forced, and seemed like he really was the character.

He also doesn't have to method act. He jumps right into character and when the camera is off or when the play is over, he is his bubbly, sweet-hearted, goofy self again. That is not the case for most actors. Christian Bale, for example, has to stay in character for long periods of time to be able to give the performances he does. Hugh Jackman doesn't.

I judge an actor based on whether they can transform themselves into any role and whether they can deliver in the most intense and emotional scenes, but also do everything else in between. A versatile actor should be able to do BOTH action and drama as well as comedy. I also judge an actor based on whether he can perform just as well on stage in theater, which is far more difficult than film usually since you have to memorize all your lines and only get one shot, as you do on film.

Hugh does all of these things. Have you seen Kate & Leopold? He got a Golden Globe nomination for that period piece comedy where he effortlessly became a character so different to any character he has ever played, and he was just starting in his career. He can go from playing Wolverine, a character that is zero percent like him in real life, to winning a Tony Award for playing the flamboyantly gay song and dance man, Peter Allen. He does voice acting (Flushed Away, Happy Feet, Rise of the Guardians) just as well as he does other forms of acting. On top of that, he does his own stunts - and that is all part of acting (which makes him more versatile than someone who is a serious dramatic actor but cannot do the stunts). As a future director, I have come to realize that all of these things fall into what makes a good actor. Choreography and fight scenes are a form of acting in and of themselves.

Not many actors today can do ALL of those things, but Hugh is one of them. He also sings and dances, which allows him to also be in musicals.

So from my personal view, he is much more talented than Arnold and Sylvester. Box office numbers does not equal talent. I think talent = a true artist, and Hugh is exactly that. Arnold and Sylvester are big budget action stars who play themselves in almost every movie. I love them, but it's true. Their characters are not much different from how they really are.

My two cents.

Last edited by ~Search4Truth~; 04-29-2015 at 12:46 PM
Old 04-29-2015, 12:45 PM
Elite Fan

Exactly, Teresa!!

I think an actor proves his talent at stage ... is like feeling "naked" in front of the audience...If the artist do this, then he's real diamond!

Old 04-29-2015, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

you ladies kick ass, just sayin'!
Old 04-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks Pari. You rock.

Hugh is in LA now. I wonder what he's doing there. I'm assuming it's a business trip so look forward to seeing what comes out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenSirens (View Post)
So do you!
Old 04-29-2015, 11:59 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenSirens (View Post)
You too

Quote:
Thanks Pari. You rock.

Hugh is in LA now. I wonder what he's doing there. I'm assuming it's a business trip so look forward to seeing what comes out of it.
Business trip?? That's interesting

Old 04-30-2015, 09:09 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jis_Bon (View Post)
Business trip?? That's interesting

Haha, no I was wrong. Hugh had said he is in LA, but it seems he was only there for a few hours. He's now on vacation with his wife in Hawaii - as they were spotted checking into a resort. Good for them. It's about time he takes a break! I will ignore the paparazzi on this one. It is far too intrusive so I feel guilty even seeing pictures.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:37 AM
Elite Fan

Ι hope they have a great time together away from annoying paparazzi !!!

Old 05-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Elite Fan

Aw Hugh posted this on his twitter:
Bring on the weekend! #TGIF

Happy Friday to you too, Hugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jis_Bon (View Post)
Ι hope they have a great time together away from annoying paparazzi !!!
Hopefully! The paps already photographed Hugh a little.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Elite Fan

He's so cute
Happy May

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanBabe (View Post)
Hopefully! The paps already photographed Hugh a little.
They did? It's hard to have some private moments

Closed Thread   Post New Thread