Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie

Jon Favreau and Jason Bateman were pretty funny.
Favreau is the most appealing thing about this movie to me and I'm sure his role is so minor. I absolutely adore the guy though.

Shrrshrr - how dare you not like Vince! I can understand in some roles (Cool Dry Place) but Clay Pigeons? No props for his skills in that DARK comedy?
summerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Jason Behr
Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsilentMajorty
For those expecting a nice, fluffy romantic comedy... This is not the movie for you.

This is more of a romanic seriodrama along the lines of more independent films like "Swingers" -- Which Vaughn is known for -- Considering the fact he also co-wrote the script and he purposefully said he hates predictable, cliched saccrine romantic comedies and wanted to do a movie about the humorous side of break-ups and the games men and women play with each other both during and after this event.
Well said. And this is why I think some are disappointed with the ending.

I loved the movie but even I admit to initially feeling depressed when I walked out of the theater.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think they marketed this movie all wrong. Judging from the advertisements and commercials, The Break-Up seemed like a typical romantic comedy. Thats what some people were thinking it was going to be. Thats not exactly what they got. That can sour a person's opinion who may have liked it otherwise, but the advertisers did a bait and switch.

Of course this is coming from someone who hasn't seen the movie. I'm just getting this from all the reviews I've read.

Cassiel: If you'd known this was going to happen, would you have done it?
Seth: I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. ONE.
- City of Angels
Clewless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Master Fan

I loved the movie. Vince and Jennifer were funny together and they had great chemistry together. Vince was hilarious, as always and Jenn was fabulous.

I personally loved the ending. I was kind of hoping that they would get back together in the end, but the movie ending was more realistic and less cliche. It made me appreciate the movie more.
Liliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Elite Fan

I love the movie because it didn't have a sappy ending ... in short, Gary blew it and lost a wonderful girl, Brooke.

kenny | credit
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Master Fan

I haven't gone to the movies in 2 years but I made sure to go to opening weekend to see this movie. I liked it, it was real. People just have to be prepared that its a drama/comedy. If you go into it thinking its just a comedy you may get disappointed.

I felt so bad during scenes with Jennifer being upset. You can totally tell she was imagining Brad. Like the "prick" or crying scene. I've seen her cry in other movies and one friends but never like that.
Jennifer ~*Justified1/2*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clewless
I think it might have beat x-men because everyone and their mother went to see it last week.
Yeah there were a lot of people at my theater seeing it. But I saw X-Men and it was just as many people

Nayden-fan868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer ~*Justified1/2*~
I felt so bad during scenes with Jennifer being upset. You can totally tell she was imagining Brad. Like the "prick" or crying scene. I've seen her cry in other movies and one friends but never like that.

Aww that sounds sad. I love your icon, btw.
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Jason Behr
Henry Cavill

I couldn't help initially feeling a little let down when I left the theater, but after further thought I loved just how real the movie was and that includes the end. This kind of thing often happens in relationships. Sometimes you don't realize something until it's too late.

Jennifer was amazing in her emotional scenes.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:36 AM
Loyal Fan

UnsilentMajorty - good call on the type of movie it was. It definitely had more of a realistic, independent feel vs. the usual happy, predictable cliche. That said, Clewless is right. If it had been marketed differently than maybe folks who were disappointed wouldn't have been. They would have expected something a little more realistic.

Was I the only one who thought Brooke was a very distracting name for Jennifer Aniston? She really does NOT look like a Brooke to me and they say one another's names so much...I found it distracting. Silly, I know!

POTENTIAL SPOILERY ENDING...
It seemed like they had tested poorly in terms of Gary and Brooke not ending up together and tacked on that ending. While the two were very forced in their attempt at light hearted conversation, it still might have given some hope to those who hated the movie for not ending all "happily ever after." I don't think it was meant to imply that they would date or get back together but it felt like it was there to pacify some who may have been incredibly disappointed to get no real "romance" from the story.
END SPOILERY
Old 06-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Jason Behr
Henry Cavill

summerbug -Yep, that's what I heard about the ending and why they changed it. It ultimately was the same result though so it probably only pacified those that tend to be hopeful.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Obsessed Fan

I agree the marketing was terrible and misleading.

However, regardless, the film managed to do very well when it came out. Some can argue it is/was just the appeal of Aniston and or Vince Vanugh... But I think once people see the film they realize how good a film it is and how talented both of them are in their own right, their personal lives (of each) aside.

This film is very similar to "Prime" with Uma Thurman and Bryan Greenburg where it addresses a side of relationships (in Prime's case, May/December romances) most people don't acknowledge -- at least, Hollywood doesn't -- But it does it with a real sense of humor and a sense or realism that doesn't talk down to the audience and treats them like adults. This is what I think The Break-up's strengths are and why it is more like an independent film more than a mainstream Hollywood film. Relationships can be both exciting and frustrating and the Break-up captures both of those extremes simultaneously AND it also manages to manipulate your point of view of the characters and what happens to them if you are male or female.

Men will argue Brooke was too demanding and your typical woman who expects the guy to read her mind while women will tend to side with her and view Gary as an insensitive jerk who never really made the effort to change, or be more sensitive to Brooke's needs. When it works on both levels like this you know the film is treating the audience like adults because this is what adult relationships are really like; there is no black-and-white, good-guy-or-bad-guy. It is "what it is" and sometimes you don't even know how it got that way like Gary and Brooke realize in the end, but it is too late.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsilentMajorty
Men will argue Brooke was too demanding and your typical woman who expects the guy to read her mind while women will tend to side with her and view Gary as an insensitive jerk who never really made the effort to change, or be more sensitive to Brooke's needs. When it works on both levels like this you know the film is treating the audience like adults because this is what adult relationships are really like; there is no black-and-white, good-guy-or-bad-guy. It is "what it is" and sometimes you don't even know how it got that way like Gary and Brooke realize in the end, but it is too late.
Great post! I love the way you phrased your words because it is true, alot of relationship are like that and The Break-up shows that, and instead of them getting together and have a happy ending, it didnt happen that way and that happens alot in real life relationships. Even though I wanted them together again, I can understand why they didnt end up back together.
My LJ
Old 06-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Master Fan

My sister and I loved the movie. Jennifer and Vince are so cute.
AmericanDirrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

^ Aww I like your icon, Simon/Paula can be cute!

I think Jen and Vince are very cute.
My LJ
Reply   Post New Thread