Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
I totally agree, sum1. Why do you need Jane Foster to be the female Thor when you have Sif, or Brynhildr/Valkyrie? And no, not Tessa Thompson's inappropriate Valkyrie. The Scandinavian goddess, not the movie version who looks like Isis, goddess of the Nile.
I don't know if she looks like Isis would have looked in Egyptian mythology. The Ancient Egyptians were a basically Middle Eastern type, like their modern descendants the Copts, not a primarily black type. They portrayed themselves in their ancient art as in between blacks and the Semitic people in skin colour. They had a clear conscious view of being separate from both.

Quote:
Why is it necessary to desecrate Steve Rogers to elevate Sam Wilson? Is it not enough that he's The Falcon? Do you have to make him the new Captain America at the expense of Steve's legacy? First they strip the Super-Soldier serum from Steve's body, leaving him a frail, weak old man. And then, after his body is rejuvenated and returned to Super-Soldier enhancement, they add insult to injury by retconning his story and making him turn out to have been a secret HYDRA double agent all along. Seriously? All this just to have Sam Wilson be the black Captain America with metal wings? Was this necessary? Was it necessary to have Ultimate Spider-Man, Miles Morales, transported to the main Marvel universe to share the spotlight with Peter Parker, only to have Peter now compromised like Hal Jordan is in Green Lantern comics because of John Stewart?
Steve Rogers as a Hydra agent is the dumbest thing I can think of. They must know they're going to have to spend years retconning that out of existence eventually. They've made a huge mess for themselves. This is like when Tony Stark was made Kang's pawn in The Crossing crossover back in the '90s. It took years for them fix that mess. You think they'd learn. It's not hard to see why their comics are not selling. They don't deserve to.

Quote:
Why not make use of the heroes they already have? They underuse She-Hulk as it is, so why not focus more on her? And what about The Wasp? Why sideline Janet Van Dyne and put her on the bench just to create this "Nadia Pym" character for no reason other than because of the damn Hope character from the MCU? And who cares about Riri Williams? Why take Tony Stark out of the game just to replace him with this Ironheart character? Who's gonna care in another ten years? Why not create new characters to reflect diversity? Why take our classic, iconic heroes away from us when they've become like family?
That last sentence of your post is the key. People have come to love the classic heroes over a long period of time. Destroying or sidelining them is not going to be welcomed, whether it's linked to diversity or not. It's almost like Marvel is trying to find an excuse to say diversity doesn't work in comics. Introducing diversity specifically by destroying or sidelining classic characters is a strategy guaranteed to alienate longterm fans and likely to provoke unfortunate anti-diversity feelings in the fanbase. It's such a stupid move. It's like they're actually trying to get people to hate diversity.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
I don't know if she looks like Isis would have looked in Egyptian mythology. The Ancient Egyptians were a basically Middle Eastern type, like their modern descendants the Copts, not a primarily black type. They portrayed themselves in their ancient art as in between blacks and the Semitic people in skin colour. They had a clear conscious view of being separate from both.
Well, Tessa Thompson is clearly of mixed ancestry, so I think she could pass. She doesn't really look "black" in that sense. Kind of like Rosario Dawson, I guess. I know the ancient Egyptians were of middle eastern descent. They came from ancient Mesopotamia during the time of the Sumerian and Babylonian empires. I get into arguments all the time about this on YouTube. You'd be surprised how many people don't know that Cleopatra was Greek and that the Ptolemaic dynasty that ruled Egypt was Macedonian, from Alexander the Great's empire.

Well, I've seen Marvel come back from worse, to be honest. What they did to Peter Parker during the Spider Clone storyline, or they way they've messed up Tony Stark and Scott Summers so many times(and Hank Pym) I'm not gonna give up on Steve Rogers just yet. But Marvel needs some serious retconning done to fix this mess. And not just in the comics, but the MCU as well. And thanks for agreeing with me. Yes, these characters are like family to us. They're part of our culture, our creative history, our identity as comic book fans, and as the USA(and elsewhere ). I saw Image Comics create an entire new universe of characters back in the 1990's. I refuse to believe that Marvel can't create any new characters, or that it's in any way necessary to sideline the existing ones. And you're right, it is insulting for Marvel or DC to imply that an ethnic character can only exist on the back of a white character's legacy.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Ancient Egyptians didn't come from Mesopotamia. They already had their civilization up and running long before there as any such thing as a Babylonian. They were contemporary with the Sumerians, who predated the Babylonians. They just lasted a lot longer. They're indigeneous to Egypt. But Egypt is part of the Middle East and always has been.

As for what the Ancient Egyptians looked like, going by their modern descendants the Copts, here's an actor who's Coptic, though he's also an eighth Greek:

:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rami_Malek

Here's another Copt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hany_Ramzy

Yes, people are often ignorant about the fact that Cleopatra wasn't of Egyptian heritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Well, I've seen Marvel come back from worse, to be honest. What they did to Peter Parker during the Spider Clone storyline, or they way they've messed up Tony Stark and Scott Summers so many times(and Hank Pym) I'm not gonna give up on Steve Rogers just yet. But Marvel needs some serious retconning done to fix this mess. And not just in the comics, but the MCU as well. And thanks for agreeing with me. Yes, these characters are like family to us. They're part of our culture, our creative history, our identity as comic book fans, and as the USA(and elsewhere ). I saw Image Comics create an entire new universe of characters back in the 1990's. I refuse to believe that Marvel can't create any new characters, or that it's in any way necessary to sideline the existing ones. And you're right, it is insulting for Marvel or DC to imply that an ethnic character can only exist on the back of a white character's legacy.
Scott Summers was messed up a lot less back in my day. Most of what they've done to him they've done since 2000. The sort of thing that makes me reject 21st century Marvel.

Yes, the Spider Man clone storyline involved some really stupid stuff (though also some great art by JRJR), but that was just one character. Now they've screwed up most of Marvel's biggest characters, not to mention destroying the X-Men comic book franchise which used to be their flagship franchise. And have you caught what they did to Tony Stark's background? First they made him a superhumanly intelligent product of alien science, then they made him an orphan from Romania, so that he's not a Stark by blood anymore. They can't make up their damn minds. And don't forget what they did to Quicksilver and Wanda. That's a fiasco.

Last edited by sum1; 04-22-2017 at 06:19 PM
Old 04-22-2017, 06:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Are you sure about that? I was of the impression that the Tigris and Euphrates river valley was the "cradle of civilization," where the first civilizations, emerged. Yeah, I know that Sumer and Babylon existed at different times, I was just speaking of the region in general. But the Sumerians were first, before the Egyptians, and I was under the impression that tribes from that area migrated west to the Nile river valley and settled there, creating the early Egyptian civilization.

Well, they've officially retconned Scott completely now that his teenage version from the past is the main version now. I guess we have to get used to that. They're starting over with him due to all the damage done from 2000 on. Although in hindsight I wish they'd never done that stuff with Madelyne Pryor, the Goblin Queen.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Sumerians didn't predate the Egyptians. They were contemporary. The Egyptians came from Egypt. As for the Tigris and Euphrates being the cradle of civilization, that's the Tigris, the Euphrates and the Nile.

Quote:
Well, they've officially retconned Scott completely now that his teenage version from the past is the main version now. I guess we have to get used to that.
I don't. I don't accept any Marvel comics that came out after the first X-Men film was released. I treat them all as non-canon.

Quote:
They're starting over with him due to all the damage done from 2000 on.
Dumb cowardly writing, chickening out and ditching a great character. But that's the sort of thing I've come to expect from 21st century Marvel.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:51 AM
Fan Forum Legend

So much
Old 04-23-2017, 01:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Uh oh, broken nose again. :brings out the first aid kit:
Old 04-23-2017, 05:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Uh oh, broken nose again. :brings out the first aid kit:

Sorry once again, Sarah.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:02 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I'll probably what you guys wrote at some point - especially if its steams from the Thor conversation
Old 04-24-2017, 08:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by just have a little faith (View Post)
I'll probably what you guys wrote at some point - especially if its steams from the Thor conversation
Steams from the Thor conversation? Steams?
Old 04-24-2017, 08:41 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Steams from the Thor conversation? Steams?
Did the recent conversation start from the Asgardian female discussion where I brought up Sif did it evolve from it
Old 04-24-2017, 08:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:12 AM
Fan Forum Legend

That's great to hear
Old 04-25-2017, 03:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by just have a little faith (View Post)
Did you mean stems or streams? And I'm sorry for once again posting a bit too much.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

It's not posting too much. The longer posts are the better. Means more substantial conversation.