Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-28-2017, 07:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Who are the two guys wrestling in your avie, Rita?
Old 10-28-2017, 08:39 AM
Master Fan

I'm caught up as well. This show better get a second season. I'll be pissed if it doesn't get renewed.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Who are the two guys wrestling in your avie, Rita?
BTS from Outlander. Their characters are meant to be worst enemies, here the actors hug
Old 10-28-2017, 04:02 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I hope it gets another season as well, LightYears! It kinda reminds me of Heroes: Reborn, only much better.

It's nice to see Stephen Moyer back on a regular TV series after True Blood. Once again, he's doing an American accent. Nice to see Amy Acker back as well. It's been a long time since she played Fred on Angel. Their daughter, Laura, seems like a variation on Susan Storm from Fantastic Four. She can't go invisible, but she can create force fields, although using a different means, pushing molecules in the surrounding air(or water) together to create a glassy, prism-like barrier. I'm assuming her brother, Andy, is telekinetic?

I'm loving Polairs so far, although four episodes in and no one has mentioned her curious similarity to Magneto? Her boyfriend, Marcos, is basically Sunspot(Bobby da Costa) with a different name... Eclipse. So why not just use Sunspot? Obviously, because Fox is probably saving him for their New Mutants movies, which is another reason why I dislike having film and television continuities running parallel with each other. The big studios always dictate to the networks what characters the show can and cannot use, which is annoying. And his solar power is oddly similar to Zach Levi in Heroes: Reborn.

I'm really liking John Proudstar(Thunderbird) so far, and I'm glad such an underused comic character is getting such a great portrayal. I'm still undecided about the other characters, but we have a long way to go.

What's interesting is that the central cast are the Strucker family, who are created just for the show and are not in the comics... unless Reed is a distant descendant of Baron Wolfgang Von Strucker of Hydra. I'm also curious as to where the X-Men are. They keep mentioning that they've disappeared, but to where? And to borrow a phrase from Deadpool, which X-Men? Stewart's or McAvoy's? These timelines are so confusing.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Interesting feedback on the show, Alex. There was a Strucker brother and sister twin pair who appeared as villains in Uncanny X-Men issue 200. Andrea and Andreas Strucker, callled Fenris. They weren't mutants. They were bio-engineered. They were Wolfgang Von Strucker's kids.

You can see them on the cover here fighting the X-Men:

http://comicbookdb.com/graphics/comi...1454_large.jpg

Stephen Moyer is a great actor, but I'm not sure they've given him great material this time. He was incredible in True Blood. Bill was my favorite True Blood character.

I think the show is set in the modern day or near future. Fox doesn't seem to have its X-Men continuity worked out. Deadpool, Logan, where do they fit in?

John Proudstar/Thunderbird didn't last long in the X-Men comics. His brother, Warpath (originally called Thunderbird), had a much bigger presence, as a Hellion and member of X-Force.

I've never been all that enthusistic about Amy Acker, but that's probably less to do with her than with the low quality of the Angel show when she was on it. Joss really ran that show into the ground.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for that link, sum1. Yeah, there was a scene in The Gifted where Garret Dillahunt's character mentioned another set of twins back in the 1960's that made him take interest in Andy and Laura, so perhaps that was a reference to the Strucker twins. Although, as you said, they weren't mutants, they were engineered, but the movies have taken liberties with who is and isn't a mutant before. Remember Juggernaut? Quicksilver? Scarlet Witch?

I think Stephen is doing a pretty good job on The Gifted. His character is human, but a prosecutor who went after criminal mutants who now finds himself on the other end of the equation as agents from "Sentinel Services"(a reference to the Sentinels) are coming after him and his family. He and his family now have to take refuge with the mutant underground, aided by Marcos and his team, who are also trying to get Polaris freed from the same prison that Reed initially sent her to. Oh, and she's pregnant with Marcos' child. On top of that, Marcos apparently has connections to some Mexican mob family whom he has a history with(he dated the boss' daughter, who is now the boss herself), and he had to get back in with them just to find a way to get both Polaris and Reed away from Sentinel Services. Reed was captured while getting his wife and children to Marcos and the underground. I liked Bill in the first four seasons, but that Lilith storyline really ruined his character for me in the final three seasons.

I honestly have no idea where The Gifted fits in regarding the X-universe continuity. I'm not sure the creators or Fox have any idea, since First Class pretty much threw continuity to the wind, and now it seems like they're just saying, fk it. But the show is clearly set in the modern day. Now, where exactly characters like Wolverine, Deadpool, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Charles Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique fit in I have no idea.

Yeah, I've heard of Warpath. He's basically Thunderbird as a new character. I'm guessing he's a way for Marvel to atone for not having even given John Proudstar a chance in the comics. But John is the character on The Gifted.

I actually liked Amy Acker on Angel, but the problem was that Angel's first two seasons were really the best. Once they started that storyline with Connor and Jasmine, the whole thing went downhill. And the problem was that Charisma Carpenter got pregnant during the third season, forcing Joss Whedon to alter his intended storyline to accommodate Charisma. Originally, Cordelia was going to go all Dark Phoenix on everyone(which eventually happened to Willow on Buffy), but Charisma's pregnancy prevented her from being able to do any action scenes or any of the more complex stuff that Joss had intended. I heard that led to a falling out between the two, which is why Charisma didn't return for the final season, and only appeared in that one episode where Cordelia returns to help Angel get back on his mission and believe in himself again, only for him to realize that Cordelia had never left the hospital, and she had actually died hours before he and Cordelia kissed goodbye, implying that her corporeal spirit had actually been with him and the others all through that episode.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Warpath got a lot more development than Thunderbird, being around longer. Though originally he was called Thunderbird himself and had it in for the X-Men for his brother's death.

What I heard about Joss and Charisma Carpenter was that he basically fired her for getting pregnant. The great feminist Joss Whedon.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Warpath got a lot more development than Thunderbird, being around longer. Though originally he was called Thunderbird himself and had it in for the X-Men for his brother's death.

What I heard about Joss and Charisma Carpenter was that he basically fired her for getting pregnant. The great feminist Joss Whedon.
Yep, that's what I heard as well. She basically ruined his storyline for that season. I think Joss had little involvement in Angel's final season as he had moved on to other projects, which is perhaps why Charisma was willing to come back for that one episode.

Of course Warpath got more development, as Thunderbird got killed off really quickly. I'm just curious to see how The Gifted will handle this situation.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, they had Warpath in Days of Future Past.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

They did? I could hardly tell who was who in those future scenes, they were so screwed up. Aside from giving Kitty time displacing abilities she shouldn't have, they hardly spent any time on those characters. That one character on The Gifted played by Jamie Chung is actually supposed to be in Days of Future Past as well. The one who makes portals through space.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Blink. She dates from the mid-'90s. Phalanx Covenant crossover, 1994, Age of Apocalypse, 1995.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Ah, thanks, sum1. Again, that damn Age of Apocalypse. Great storyline, but a messy continuity.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

I loved what they did with Magneto in that storyline.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Magneto and Rogue certainly was an interesting pairing. Having him inherit the mantle of Charles Xavier only to fail miserably put a whole new spin on his character.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

Well, they did stop Apocalypse in the end save the time-space continuum or whatever.