Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2017, 12:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

Quote:
I'm wondering what the o2 will be like for the next couple of days following this. Seems the same general setup where anyone can get in the building to restaurants etc. without being searched. Security has been heightened, but who even knows what that means.
They'll do whatever it takes for everyone involved to feel safe, otherwise events won't go ahead. It just wouldn't be worth the risk.
and I will never be captive, or hostage, or confined.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 05-23-2017, 03:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
And regardless of what happens next, this is the part that I hope people focus on.

There is a special place in hell for people who think it's okay to blow up bombs in crowded areas, and an ever specialler place for people who do that knowing that the crowds will be mostly kids.

But, on the whole, people are good. Which is why they're never gonna win. There are more of us than there are of them. Call me naive, if you want. Maybe you'd be right. But look at what ordinary citizens of Manchester did when they heard the bomb(s) here.

It reminds me of the evacuation of Dunkirk, back during World War II. When Allied troops were surrounded at Dunkirk and, sure, the UK military came to the rescue, but so did hundreds upon hundreds of "ordinary" British civilians.

They didn't win then and they're not gonna win now. Not when their own actions speaks of their cowardice.
Thank you for saying that. Hope is sorely needed right now!
Old 05-23-2017, 04:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

I really just believe it.

These attacks have an unacceptably high toll, which makes it seem like there's more danger than there is goodness. I understand that feeling. Heck, I share that feeling. My commute home tonight was lenghtened because "emergency services" stopped service on one of the metro lines. And the first thing that crossed my mind was "oh no."

It's normal to be afraid when something this randomly hateful happens.

But look how cabs ferried people to safety for free. How hotels offered room for unaccompanied minors, and probably others, who found themselves stranded. How people opened their doors to let strangers in.

One guy committed an act of pure, cowardly, selfish evil. But what he showed in doing that is that Manchester is full of really amazing people.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:39 PM
I am a basketball genius!

I forgot there was a new thread.

Brother of Manchester bombing suspect knew an attack was coming, Libyan official says
Old 05-24-2017, 05:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's always easy to say, after the fact, isn't it?

Did you hear the one where the UK police forces (I'm not sure if it's "just" the Manchester police or, like, security services) are annoyed that U.S. journalists announced the identity of the dirtbag before they could round up his associates?
Old 05-25-2017, 12:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes the UK authorities are very annoyed at the US leaks, it seems.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

I'm at a complete loss over what happened. It's horrific. there are no words.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

All they've managed to accomplish is to make us more certain about how much stronger we are together.
and I will never be captive, or hostage, or confined.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 05-25-2017, 07:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Did you hear the one where the UK police forces (I'm not sure if it's "just" the Manchester police or, like, security services) are annoyed that U.S. journalists announced the identity of the dirtbag before they could round up his associates?
And the crime scene photos. It compromises the investigation.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 05-25-2017, 07:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Cry (View Post)
All they've managed to accomplish is to make us more certain about how much stronger we are together.
Exactly.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
That's always easy to say, after the fact, isn't it?

they should be pissed. Our "journalists" care more about being first than they do about safety or being correct.

The worst thing in your life may just contain the seeds for the best things to begin to grow.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:26 PM

So why is the U.S. leaking them do you guess?
Old 05-25-2017, 03:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Who knows why anyone would compromise an investigation like that. Hopefully, it's someone (probably more like someones) too dumb to realize the implications of their actions.

Meanwhile, though, today I was, once again, blown away by the spirit of Manchester, when this happened at the end of what was clearly a colossal minute of silence.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Portland deaths: Two stabbed trying to stop anti-Muslim abuse
Old 05-27-2017, 01:32 PM

Yeah. I saw on my local news that happened on the MAX, which is scary enough since there's no security on the Portland Metro light rail system. Disturbing story.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread