Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Absolute Fan

This thread is quiet. Or maybe it's because I'm behind the times. I've just finished reading this and I really enjoyed it!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yay! I'm so glad there are other Jared/Melanie shippers! I'm not into Ian or Wanda though I don't hate them.

I'm totally on the Human side when it comes to all of this. I didn't like how the souls thought they had some right to do what they did. They caused a genocide on the human race and it makes me less sympathetic to them because of it.

There was only two times that I REALLY disliked Wanda

1. When she was trying to justify what her race was doing and trying to make them look better than humans. Like I said above they caused a genocide on the human race, so when she called them monsters I was hard press to feel sorry for her. I really wanted too, but the humans have every right to fight back. I understand she was in shock because of some of her races death, but it just made feel ill.

2. Her final scene with Jared bugged me. I have felt throughout the book that no one seem to care about Melanie and her right to get her body and life back, so I love how Jared was on her side in all of this. I even felt at times if not all the time that even her own relatives didn't seem to care about her. I was upset when Wanda seem to be self centered when she said "You'll get your precious Melanie back!" So sorry that someone actually cares more about Melanie over you! It really graded on my nerves. Also thought the kiss was unnecessary too. The whole scene made me ill be quiet honest.

When it came to Ian I didn't like the double standard he was having with Jared. He told him one thing only to do the same thing he lectured Jared about like kissing Melanie/Wanda. Also I did not like how he thought so little of Melanie that he didn't care that it was MELANIE'S BODY and therefore it should go back to her. I didn't want Wanda to die, but I'm sorry there is no "if" on who should end up with the body.

That felt so much better now that I got that off my chest! I had those feeling for a long time. It feels good to vent!

On a more positive note:

I loved the flashbacks of Jared/Melanie/Jamie. It was interesting to see how much Jared had changed without Mel. The realistic journey that both Mel and Jared had gone on throughout the book. The undying devotion between them that couldn't be broken no matter what happen. The way they keep close when Mel came back. The vulnerability that showed when Jared realized that Mel was still alive. The passion Jared and Mel's body showed when they kissed. Also their banter. I just LOVE them soo much!

"Melanie will always be mine and I will always be hers." - Jared

"If I got to pick anyone, anyone at all, to be stranded on a deserted planet with, it would be you." - Melanie

"It was a miracle - more than a miracle - when I found you, Melanie. Right now, if I was given the choice between having the world back and having you, I wouldn't be able to give you up. Not to save a billion lives." - Jared
That's wrong" - Melanie
"Very wrong but very true." - Jared

From the mouth of the whole, Jared's low, rough voice - broken and strangely childlike - asked, "Mel?" - Jared

" She's gone?" Muted agony in his voice - Jared

"Melanie Stryder!" It was so loud in my ear, a growl that was almost a shout. "You will not leave me. Don't you love me? Prove it! Prove it! Damn it Mel! Get back here!" - Jared

He started to laughing. "That's my girl" - Jared

"I'm warning you, Mel," Jared said, still smiling widely. Teasing. "You better stay right here. I'm not making any guarantees about what I will or won't do to get you back" - Jared

Melanie beside him, and Jared behind her, his hands around her waist. I knew that his hands would never feel right unless they were touching her body. That he would keep her close as he could forever, hating any inch that came between them.

Melanie and Jared had kicked Jamie out of their room and into Ian's before I'd been reborn in Pet's body; Jamie wasn't so young that they'd needed to give him any excuse.

Jared was leading the raid, as usual, so it went without saying that Melanie was included.

I hope in the future novels that Stephenie has more of Jared/Melanie in them even more flashbacks too.

I've heard that she might write the Jared and Melanie reunion when she got her body back and put it on her web site. I hope she does that I would really love to see that.

Add me to the list please!

Last edited by *OldHollywoodStarlet*; 07-23-2009 at 11:52 AM
*OldHollywoodStarlet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Loyal Fan

I didn't realize this thread existed. I read the book a month or so ago and really like it so please add me to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
I'm an Ian & Wanda shipper.

Put me down as team Human. While I can sympathize with the Souls wanting to live, I can't condone them taking over other sentient beings in order to do so.
This is how I feel too. I'm definitely team human but care more about Wanda than Melanie and more about Wanda/Ian than about Melanie/Jared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by **SuperGirl** (View Post)
I absolutely loved the relationship and battle between Mel and Wanda. And the tension of Wanda being in love with Jared through Mel, but having feelings of her own for Ian. I really loved how Stephanie wrote that Mel's "body" belonged to Jared, which is why it rejected Ian.
Yes I loved that too. It reminded me of the Tok 'ra from Stargate:SG1 a little, which was my favorite part of that series.

Quote:
Of course, Ian was my favorite character. Who wouldn't fall in love with a man that loves you for what's on the inside?
I certainly fell in love with Ian.

=-Kathy-> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

I love this book. Please add me. After reading some of the replies on here I feel the sudden urge to read the book again.

I'm a Ian/Wanda shipper. I'm definitely for Team Humans. I loved this book and can't wait for the next one (If there is one.) comes out. I liked the conflict between Wanda and Mel.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Loyal Fan

This community on livejournal is organizing a fanbook to send to Stephenie Meyer! They want to show that she has fans who love The Host too and not just the Twilight saga. Let's send her some love!

Now that there's a movie, we have even more to be excited and thank her for, SO EVERYONE CHECK IT OUT AND SPREAD THE WORD!

Old 10-31-2009, 11:42 PM
Obsessed Fan

I'm excited too!
loveslullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh cool! I hope there is a second book...
ღღღ
infallible love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:20 AM
Absolute Fan

I've just decided to re-read this. I'm really hoping there will be a second book
Old 01-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Loyal Fan

All signs point to a good chance of more books from what Meyer's been saying lately.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Elite Fan

I sure hope so. This book just seems like the "step-child" compared to Twilight, and I honestly think it's sooo much better.

Join the John Mayer campaign!
**SuperGirl** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Absolute Fan

I hope there is another book cause i'dforgotten how much i'd enjoyed this! i'm loving it all over again
Old 01-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

hmm ... I lent my book to my sister and haven't got it back yet. I'll have to ask her about it.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

Did you guys hear?

Saoirse Ronan has been cast as Melanie!
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

More casting news:

Melanie/Wanda - Saoirse Ronan

Ian O'Shea - Jake Abel

Jared - Max Irons

William Hurt - Jeb (This one was recently, as a few days ago)

Bradley Steven Perry is rumored to be Jamie
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks, Jen I didn't realize that they started casting already