Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2017, 04:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Need to see Tom in something AFTER THE CHOICE!
TomsEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

I know.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by livstevi21 (View Post)
I know.
I need another Doctor Dosage!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Yeah, it'd be awesome if he was cast as a doctor in something again.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes. It would.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

The Choice is on Film4 on TV right now. Network Premiere. Am watching it as I hadn't watched it since my first viewing 2 years ago. Once Ryan is conveniently out of town for the brunt of the movie, so that Gabby and Travis can 'bond' and 'fall for each other' I have a feeling I will probably be just as bored with it as I was the first time. Lets see if my opinions have changed or not....if that is, I can actually sit through the whole thing again (I barely made it the first time, and only did it for Tom).

Almost coming to the end here. And my opinions have not changed at all. If anything, I think of the film even less so than I did the first time. It's all just so unbelievable and twee....and ridiculously boring. Ryan really is a good sport, for having even forgiven Gabby after she told him about her affair with Travis, he proposed to her, but she later breaks off the engagement. So Ryan punches Travis for being the reason she broke off the engagement. Still the best part of the film. And then we see Ryan years later, still a doctor at the same hospital, the same hospital in which Gabby lies in a coma, quite happy (though obviously sad about having to give Travis that choice). I would like to have seen him getting a choice so he could move on. He deserves that. And yes, the choice Travis had to make at the end of the film was awful and no one ever deserves to have to go through that. It is admittedly, a very sad last third of the film, but he ends up not signing the do not resuscitate form and in a miracle, Gabby finally awakes from her coma and it's a happy ever after.

I still cannot stand Travis. His over played southern accent is annoying and his character is not endearing at all. He's obnoxious. Gabby is likeable at the beginning, but kinda stereotypical of the female lead. And I end up liking her less and less as the movie goes on. The only likeable characters are the lead's families....well Travis's...Gabby's we didn't really get enough time with to form an opinion and of course Ryan himself (and I'm not just saying that because he's played by Tom). Oh and the dogs are cute.

Last edited by livstevi21; 08-08-2018 at 01:41 PM
livstevi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ Nice to hear your thoughts on The Choice, Liv.

This was my review for the film when I first saw it back in February, 2016.

I finally saw the choice!

After a long wait of 440 days, my appointment with Dr. Ryan McCarthy had been postponed long enough! Tom Welling was the best choice for The Choice!

*WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS! STOP READING IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED!*

The Choice is a good movie, but it could have been even better if there were many more scenes with Ryan.

Tom Welling was absolutely stunning in all his scenes. He beautifully portrayed a range of emotions from humor, love, happiness, to anger and sadness. Despite his short scenes, he still managed to maintain a presence with his believable part of a boyfriend in the hope of settling down with the right woman. Tom had about ten to twelve+two maybe scenes throughout the film, and it felt like he was roughly in fifteen minutes of the movie, which is hopefully more that Draft Day and Parkland! In The Choice, at least, he comes in the beginning, middle, and end, so you can't really leave, and NOT come back!

TOM ROCKED AS DR. RYAN MCCARTHY! He did a great job with all the 'doctoring', and he looked professionally elegant and acted cool. I'm not sure why Tom didn't change his voice to a southern accent, but maybe it would have been odd. The punch scene was AWESOME! Tom was right in saying that it really 'landed', and there was 'a lot of really good moments in this film', mostly with Tom. The carnival scene was nice, and it was very warm to see Tom work so well with a variety of actors. It was hard for me to see Tom ignored, and I couldn't really figure out why Gabby didn't stay with Ryan. I mean, I guess, she didn't really love him at all, but Dr. Ryan had a strong character in forgiving Travis as well as continuing to be Gabby's doctor.

Boyfriend Book Shout Outs: Ryan gave Gabby two calls, which had words and lines similar to the book, and there was a golf shout out! I wish Tom would have taken a golf swing! Tom was SUPER HOT in this scene with his sun glasses, T-Shirt, and brown tight pants, and he looked like A SUPERSTAR! I wanted to SCREAM! Tom was a cute boyfriend using words like 'Babe' & 'Sweetie' & 'Love Ya', and he was exceptionally romantic with his deep masculine voice 'hinting towards an engagement' with "I'm gonna marry her one day."!

Surprise Scenes: There's an enjoyable scene after Tom as Ryan using the term, we all know Tom Welling LOVES: "In Private"! It explains why Ryan and Gabby are not living together. It was a treat to see Tom work with Tom Wilkinson, as a fellow TW!! I was hoping for an on screen reunion with Maggie Grace, but it never came.

Favorite Best Delivered Lines: "Now, I'm not sure what that means, but I'm pretty sure that you speak the language." "She's tired."

MISSING SCENES: There were BIG REVEAL SCENES missing in the middle of the film where Gabby tells Ryan everything. These two scenes were referred to in a well read letter, but I would have loved to see Tom 'shout, cuss, storm out, and tell her to 'go to hell', but come back in the morning to ask her to marry him.'. I hope these two scenes were NOT DELETED! I felt totally cheated and deceived along with Ryan at this point! ( Tom's last stance is in shadow form, and I really hope that was Tom as Dr. Ryan and not a stand-in!

SMALLVILLE SHOUT-OUTS: Tom's character Ryan refers to a "Tess" in the seven years later part of the film, which I am assuming is the name of one of his daughters. In the beginning, Gabby is listening to an opera piece, which was played in Smallville Season 07 Episode 04 "Cure"!

In Two Lines: For Travis & Gabby: "They bother me to no end."

If Tom had played Travis, the movie would have been very different.

For Me: Tom Welling As Dr. Ryan McCarthy Is The Only Choice, The Best Choice, & The Choice!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

That's a fantastic review of the film Fatima!

Completely agree with you on Tom's performance and yes, we would definitely have appreciated more Ryan scenes. But, like you say, he was in it more than Parkland and Draft Day and it's good that he is at the beginning, middle and end of the film as it gives incentive to carry on watching!

I'm glad Tom didn't do a southern accent. Travis's accent was enough! The punch scene was the best and Travis deserved it. Yeah, it was hard for me too to see him being ignored. I will never understand how Gabby could so easily forget about him whilst he was away (I'd be calling him at least every day) and how she eventually chose Travis over him. Yes, Ryan definitely had strong character to not only forgive but continue to be Gabby's doctor.

Oh yeah, I really wished they actually had shown the reveal scene in which Gabby told Ryan about her affair with Travis. Missed opportunity there to really show off Tom's talent.

If Tom had played Travis, it would most definitely be a very different and a far better film in my opinion and I would be much more engaged with it and would have enjoyed it much more. As it stands, Tom was still awesome as Ryan and I will always go out of my way to re-watch his scenes in the film.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ Thank you very much.

I agree with all your points noted here as well.

I will always keep watching Tom's scenes in my own version of "No Choice" film.

I feel like Gabby just didn't love Ryan.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Yeah, I guess she didn't. I would have been interested to know how long Gabby and Ryan had been together, as it was never really explained in the film.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

"You better stay away from all those pretty young interns. You remember that one back up at Charleston, who couldn't keep her hands off of you."

I think Gabby was an intern when Dr. Ryan was already a Dr., so there's about at least five year difference between the two characters.

Dr. Ryan's father, Dr. Ryan, he was also teaching Gabby to be a doctor, so I guess they were dating for about a couple of years because Gabby was still studying to pass the "Boards", to become a certified doctor.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

I suppose that sounds about right. You'd think, a couple of years, is a long time to be dating, if Gabby didn't love him then why stay with him for so long?
Old 08-21-2018, 01:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Sometimes, I think you love someone, but you are not maybe in love with them, that's how you have the space to fall in love with someone else.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Good point.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ Thanks! That's how I feel at least.
Reply   Post New Thread