Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 04:33 AM
Addicted Fan

New Scott Allie interview.

Interview with Scott Allie: Editor (& Now Co-Writer) of Buffy / Tor.com / Science fiction and fantasy / Blog posts

posted Wednesday October 06, 2010

Interview with Scott Allie: Editor (& Now Co-Writer) of Buffy

Chris Greenland

Begun in 2007, Buffy: The Vampire Slayer has continued on in canonical form not through television, or films, but through comics. Plotted and partially penned by show creator Joss Whedon, the 40-issue season is now coming to a close.

As befitting a season finale, Joss is writing the closing arc “Last Gleaming,” but he’s not alone. Scott Allie, the Buffy series editor at Dark Horse—and ever-present voice in the letter column—is joining Joss as co-writer.

Today’s release of Buffy #37 (check back here this afternoon for a review) marks Allie’s first credited issue, so I sat down for a quick interview with Scott regarding the change, what’s forthcoming in the Season 8 finale, and what plot elements Buffy readers can expect to see again as the season concludes.

Chris Greenland: You’re joining the title as co-writer with Joss on the closing arc—the season finale, as it were—on Buffy Season 8. What precipitated the change at this stage in the game?

Scott Allie: Well, it’s mostly Joss’s schedule that led to this, but it happened in stages. He was slammed, and he wanted help getting focused on the finale plotline. He wanted to make sure things were all coming together the way he intended, so he asked me to come down to L.A. and help him outline it. He knew where it needed to go, but in order to really focus his attention on it for a couple for days and make sure all concerns were addressed—or all concerns he deemed worthy—we arranged to sit in a room and hash it out. That was step one. And it worked pretty well. So then Avengers got heavy and really complicated his schedule, and he told me, “Now we’re officially cowriting the finale.” Which was a shock, and exciting.

Chris Greenland: How does the writing arrangement between you and Joss break down for the rest of the series? Are you enjoying getting to flex your writing muscles?

Scott Allie: Well, I’m always writing something [Ed: Check out Scott’s stuff on his site and a partial bibliography on Wikipedia], but what I’m enjoying here is having him as my editor, or cowriter, or whatever. Getting notes from Joss is pretty cool. My best friend likes to knit, and we shared this perspective one time about how there’s something exciting when you’re knitting to get to a stage in the process where you realize you have to go back and undo a bunch of what you’ve done; just tear it out and start over from some point a ways back.

There’s something liberating about it, deciding you’re not married to what you’ve done. You can just blow it all apart and do it again, with the belief that what you’ve done is not what’s precious, it’s the act of doing it, and so doing it again will only make it better.

Most writers probably wouldn’t agree with that, but I’ve always felt that. So there’s been some chunks of my issues of Season 8 where I’ve gotten some notes from Joss that make me seriously rethink what I’m doing, and then go in there with both hands and tear it up. And it’s especially exciting to do that armed with some new perspective or understanding about this particular way of telling a story, given to you by a writer you really respect.

Chris Greenland: Does this alter any plans for Buffy: The Vampire Slayer Season 9?

Scott Allie: Oh, no, I don’t wanna do this again!

Chris Greenland: Season 8 has vastly increased the scope of these characters, taking them from Sunnydale and making their fight worldwide. In this arc we finally return to Sunnydale. Will this finale similarly reduce the book’s scope back to the Scoobies?

Scott Allie: The final arc is all about bringin’ it all back home. The first arc was called “The Long Way Home.” This arc brings us back to Sunnydale. We are definitely reducing things. Yes.

Chris Greenland: Why was the Master chosen as the Big Bad behind it all?

Scott Allie: Is he?

Chris Greenland: Are we heading towards a magic-less Buffyverse? (Very strongly hinted at in the Fray mini-series and in this season’s “Time Of Your Life” arc.) Is this one apocalypse our characters can’t avoid?

Scott Allie: The world is not gonna end, but some big stuff is gonna happen, some things are going to change, and it will set us up for a very different approach to Season 9 than we had to Season 8. Our heroes can always avert apocalypse, but their choices are narrowing.

Chris Greenland: Is there anything in Season 8 (or earlier) that we’d do well to remind ourselves of as the final arc gets underway?

Scott Allie: We do dig up a lot of things in this final arc. There was a line in Brian K. Vaughan’s arc (The Faith-centric “No Future For You”), “The Queen is dead...” That’s gonna come back. The image Willow and Buffy saw in Buffy #10...

For readers who’ve got some time, I really think it’d be worthwhile to go back and read it all from the beginning in the next few weeks, so that when you’re reading issues #38 & #39 it’s all fresh. If you’re like me, you won’t remember all the stuff we dropped along the way that wasn’t underlined and bolded. I think there will be some nice pay off for people who’ve read from the beginning.

That’s all for now! If you’re still itching to read about the final arc and Season 8, Slay Alive has a fantastic in-depth interview with Scott from August of this year. (And, of course, if you’re following Buffy, don’t forget to pick up today’s issue.)

Chris Greenland is okay with character growth as long as there's punching.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Addicted Fan

Buffyfest interviews Dark Horse editor Sierra Hahn who works with Scott Allie on Buffy and other Whedonverse books.

Buffyfest: Buffyfest Interview with Dark Horse Editor Sierra Hahn

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Buffyfest Interview with Dark Horse Editor Sierra Hahn

We've been dying to interview Sierra Hahn, Dark Horse editor extraordinaire, for quite awhile, but as you'll see below she's a very busy bee, juggling a lot of titles both Whedonverse and beyond. So we finally had the chance and it definitely stood up to the hype! There is a great energy and passion in her answers to our queries. It's always nice to know that the creatives are just as enthusiastic as the fans.

Buffyfest: Let’s start off with an introduction. You've worked in comics for a while, starting at Vertigo before moving to Dark Horse. How did you get into comics in the first place?

Sierra Hahn: I started reading comics as a kid, probably around five or six years old. My oldest brother has always been a comics fan and I would accompany him to the comics shop every week. While he was picking up Watchmen, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and X-men, I was clamoring for DC Comics' Amethyst, and Marvel’s Ewoks. My interest in comics petered out over time until my big brother introduced me to Vertigo Comics' Y: The Last Man and 100 Bullets—two series that I still love, love, love—and suddenly I was adding comics into my regular reading habits. I had been missing a lot of great comics over the years and some catching up to do.

After I completed my undergraduate degree in English, I applied to a publishing crash course at Columbia University. Best decision ever, and it got me in the door at DC Comics where I met Karen Berger (editor of the original Amethyst and head of Vertigo). We talked comics, and she suggested I apply for an available job doing publicity. I applied, got the job, and spent an amazing couple of years promoting some of my favorite comics. But my heart was in editing, and I eventually made the leap to Dark Horse to explore a different side of the industry.

Buffyfest: What titles do you edit at Dark Horse? What are you working on at this moment?

SH: I edit the Dr. Horrible comics and Terminator both with Zack Whedon as writer. I worked with Janet and Alex Evanovich on a unique project called Troublemaker where we took characters from two of Janet's best-selling novels and continued their adventure in comics format. I'm also editing a graphic novel about a real life police detective who pursued a serial killer from the Pacific Northwest—the Green River Killer—for twenty years. It's written by Jeff Jensen, an entertainment reporter for Entertainment Weekly, whose father was that detective. It's been an incredible project to be involved with—part autobiography, part true crime... It's a very unique and special book.

On a lighter note I've been working with the incredible Jill Thompson to bring her Scary Godmother stories back to print. And I work closely with Scott Allie on Buffy(one of the reasons I couldn't pass up the job at Dark Horse), and other Joss Whedon books like Serenity, and Sugarshock.

Buffyfest: Can you tell us a little bit about your specific role in the “Whedonverse” division?

SH: My duties vary quite a bit. Most of the time (along with assistant editor Freddye Lins) I'm pestering writers and artist to hit their deadlines. Sometimes I provide notes on scripts and artwork. I write a lot of the promotional copy—the text on back covers or in catalogs. Going into Season 9 and having the Angel titles, I'm offering input on writers and artists that would be great for the line books. This general role I play with any of the Joss-related titles with the expection of Dr. Horrible, which became my darling over the last year.

Buffyfest: How has your experience been working on the Whedon titles? Have you had much interaction with the fandom?

SH: I love working on Buffy. I love working with Joss, and all of the wonderful writers from the show. I've learned a lot from everyone who has worked on the series thus far—what makes a great story, and how to have characters that shine and are distinctive, how to make a reader feel like he or she is a part of the journey.

I haven't had much interaction with Buffy fans except at San Diego Comic Con during Joss' signings and panels. Over the past few years I’ve had some involvement with the Portland Browncoats’ annual “Can’t Stop the Serenity” event, which is always a fantastic affair.

Buffyfest: Were you a fan of Whedon's shows before they were revived in comic form?

SH: When I was in high school my family had a satellite dish that aired Buffy at 5 PM. As a result I would bail on all of my after school activities and time with friends to rush home and watch Buffy. I loved the show before it even aired. My whole family would tease me about watching the show—they thought the premise was pretty goofy, but then, over time, my two older brothers started watching, my parents started watching, my brother's girlfriend starting watching... and everyone became very loyal right up until the end. I'm still recruiting Buffy fans.

Buffyfest: If you had to pick between all of Joss Whedon’s works, which story would be your favorite and why?

SH: I don't think I have a favorite. Some stories I have a stronger affinity for than others. That said, I've been re-reading Fray and it's an awesome book. I absolutely love that character, that world, and how it really feels like a fully formed Joss story—that (even though it took awhile to get done) he was very present in the make up of that story. It’s funny, smart, tragic, and action packed—all the makings of a Joss story at its best.

Buffyfest: What about a favorite character?

SH: Guh...! What a painful question! I have so much love for so many characters for so many reasons. But... if I really think on it... it's gotta be Buffy. She's my girl. She's strong, smart, sexy, funny, totally flawed and human in the midst of all her superness.

Buffyfest: Which season of Buffy(besides season 8) is your favorite?

SH: Season Two. You’ve got Spike and Dru, Ms. Calendar, Oz, and Buffy and Angel falling in love. There’s so much drama and tension. It was a very moving Season. The characters and what makes them unique really started to take shape effectively establishing who they would eventually become.

Buffyfest: As for Season 8, which arc was your favorite to work on? Which was the most challenging?

SH: My favorite arc to work on thus far... probably Brian K. Vaughan's No Future For You. It's the first storyline I worked on after moving from DC Comics to Dark Horse, and I had a preexisting relationship with Vaughan as one of his publicists at Vertigo. I also really dug a story focused on Faith and Giles. Vaughan did a fantastic job capturing the sensibilities of those characters. The most challenging arc has gotta be the current one—Last Gleaming. I don't know if anyone has heard but Joss is in charge of making a really important movie AND he's trying to wrap up Season Eight. Daunting. But what's really cool about every single person involved with this series is that they rally, big time, to do their best and get the book to out on time. It's challenging, but it's exciting too. I'm dying to read issue #40.

Buffyfest: Buffy Season 8 has introduced a lot of women and girls into the comic book world. Why do you think it is a great medium for girls?

SH: Comics are a great medium for everyone who enjoys a great story. Comic books are varied across the board tackling every theme and topic imaginable. Just like regular ol' books or movies or our lives. There is something for everyone.

Buffyfest: On the other hand, there’s been some criticism of Season 8 saying the feminist message has been lost. What's your take?

SH: Each season of Buffy—be it on TV or in comics—has followed this heroine into fantastic and also awful situations. The writers of Buffy have made choices for the cast of characters that I don't always agree with. I’ve been outright pissed and disgusted or just sad. But I see these choices as Buffy's. She's especially compelling to me because she's imperfect. The girl can FLY and yet she's still driven by irrational, spur of the moment decisions that she'll suffer the consequences for. These "flaws" make her wonderfully relatable. Human. They are her choices. And even if I don't always agree with said choices, I'm still eager to find out where they will land her. Will she grow? Will she recover? Will she crumble? Will the people who love her forgive her? Again? Will she become more cold, distant—a soldier with the weight of the world on her back? She's allowed to be flawed, and she'll always try and make up for it. That's one thing I can count on, and it brings me back. Buffy's empowering even if she's making bad choices—self destructive or otherwise. Most of the time she's saving the world and trying to make sure everyone is provided for to the detriment of her self. I find her empowering because of all of those things—being a strong, fearless woman, and human when she's something other worldly altogether.

Buffyfest: The now infamous Twilight-gate cover leak must have been a hard day at the office. Can you describe the climate at Dark Horse that day?

SH: The cover leak was awful. We were pretty deflated by the whole experience. It had been this incredibly exciting secret that had been kept under wrap for years, and then suddenly the news was out, and we had to do some damage control. There was no great way to come out of that situation gracefully. And then… you’re on the next thing, trying to keep the book coming out on time and hoping there are still some secrets remaining by the very end.

Buffyfest: Now that the word is out that Angel is moving over to Dark Horse, everyone is getting excited for the expanded world that will be Buffy Season 9. How involved are you in this early stage? Will you be choosing artists, etc?

SH: I'll be offering input on artists and writers for the various titles. I'm a tad opinionated, and I want these new books to kick ass and continue to raise the bar and give fans a unique and fulfilling experience. Scott and I are working closely—and certainly with Joss—to figure what to do with Season Nine and any titles coming out of the Angel license. I'm really looking forward to getting more immersed in this world.

Buffyfest: Speaking of Angel, he is a very controversial character in the Buffyverse. What’s your take on him?

SH: I like Angel. I especially liked him when I was fifteen years old and first watching the show . . . ahem. As I've grown older my feelings toward Angel have changed from swoony to thinking he's charming but a bit of a goober. And goober is a good thing! It's endearing! But honestly when I go back and watch episodes of the show there are moments between Buffy and Angel that still totally move me. It's some of the best writing.

Buffyfest: Recently, at Dragon Con, both Scott Allie and Georges Jeanty gave some ominous comments about the upcoming Buffy Issue # 39. If you could give one word to explain your feelings about the events of that issue, what would it be?

SH: ill.

Buffyfest: Uh, oh. For the last question, let's move on to something lighter. What’s got your interest these days? Any comics that you think are a must read for any Buffy fan?

SH: I’ve been plowing through a lot of novels lately—most recently Zadie Smith’s On Beauty and the massive Justin Cronin post-apocalyptic vampire insanity The Passage. As far as comics that Buffy fans might enjoy… Y: The Last Man is still a favorite. It’s politically savvy and timeless. The characters are hilarious and compelling. Lately, I’ve really been enjoying Gabrielle Bell’s work—brilliantly written, and darkly humorous slice of life stories, which she writes and draws herself. I’m also biased when it comes to recommending The Guild comics written by Felicia Day (creator of the hit web show of the same name). The comics (published by Dark Horse) are quirky, fun, and totally relatable. Anything with Zack Whedon’s name on it is sure to win my favor. Yeah… we work together, but the kid is a blast to work with, and an incredible talent. He’s really adapted well to the comics medium. Everyone has to pick up Zack’s first endeavor into the world of Serenity with The Shepherd’s Tale out in November. Tear jerker!

Thanks, Sierra!

The events of issue 39 make her feel ill?This is going to be bad.Is this going to top Seeing Red as most controversal Buffy episode?
Old 10-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Addicted Fan

Covers And Info for Buffy Season 8 #40."Last Gleaming Part V of V" and the conclusion of Buffy Season 8.

Comics Continuum: Dark Horse Comics for January

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #40

Written by Joss Whedon, pencils by Georges Jeanty, inks bt Andy Owens, colored by Michelle Madsen, covers by Jo Chen and Jeanty.

Final issue. "Last Gleaming," art 5 of 5. Season Eight has at last brought Buffy the long way home, and betrayal comes in the shape of the closest, most unexpected individual of all. Reeling from their losses, the Scoobies will never be the same again.

40 pages, $2.99, in stores on Jan. 5.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I wonder why they picked those characters for the final cover???
Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Addicted Fan

The Jeanty cover is causing a lot of speculation out there.

First news from NYCC.

SCOOP: Two To Four Buffy Comics A Month – And Dollhouse Comics Too Bleeding Cool Comic Book News and Rumors

SCOOP: Two To Four Buffy Comics A Month – And Dollhouse Comics Too

Submitted by Rich Johnston on October 8, 2010

At the Diamond Retailer Breakfast meeting at NYCC, Dark Horse announced that, following a gap after the ending of the Buffy Season Eight series in January, Buffy Season Nine will initially consist of Buffy and Angel comics – but that more titles will join them, creating a wider, cohesive story spread across different titles.

And that following a Dollhouse one shot in 2011, there will be a comci book mini-series from some of the writers of the TV show.

Start the clocks until we get a link from Whedonesque.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like an interesting issue
Icon: ?
Old 10-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Addicted Fan

Buffyfest has read the first issue of the Spike series by Brian Lynch and spoil all in their review.

Buffyfest: Spike #1 Review (SPOILERS)

Friday, October 8, 2010

Spike #1 Review (SPOILERS)

The Preamble: I heard a rumor that a few fans have been wanting to see IDW do a Spike comic. Have you heard that? I'm sure someone said it at some point somewhere. These quiet whispers (barely noticeable, really) make me ask: Who is this Spike guy? I mean I thought he was an outer space bounty hunter who used to work for a crime syndicate on Mars but apparently he's actually a vampire of some sort. With cheekbones. Serious cheek bones.

And now he has a comic. By Brian something or other.

The Plot: There's a a slot machine junkie on the prowl in the casinos of Las Vegas and she's about to reach the end of her winning streak. Pull the lever, let's see what comes up.

Wolf. Ram. Heart.

No, seriously, the last one is a heart. Isn't that sweet? Then bugs come pouring out of the machine and devour everyone in the place.

The end.

Too short? Okay.

Let me tell you a little story. Once upon a time, there was a poet named William. He wasn't always appreciated but he tried his best and was a good son to his doting mother. Then the monsters came. Pretty, poetry appreciating monsters who liked to kill everything in sight and then drink it. They sucked the life out of poor little Willy and when they were done, Spike stood in his place. He was a whole new kind of monster, like Billy Idol with fangs. He killed and pillaged and tortured for years and then, one day, he met a girl who changed everything. She was the girl who couldn't be killed. And he loved her. So much, in fact, that he fought for his soul just so that he wouldn't be a monster anymore.

But that's not the end of the story. Oh, no. That's just the beginning. Spike's had so many stories. He's been a ghost, a playboy in a hell moment, a lady, apparently, and one time he twinkled with some spider woman.

That's not our story either. Heck, some of that stuff didn't even really happen. Although, between you and me, I hear Spike pretties up good in makeup and the right dress. Ahem. Anyway. Did someone mention Vegas? Oh, yes. I did. That's where Spike's story continues. But first he needs a little help from his friends.

First up: Beck. She's a sweet, teenage girl who has the power to light things on fire with her mind. She used to be Spike's biggest cheerleader but I hear the girl's picked up some fresh daddy issues since last the two met. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Next: Beta George. he's a big, flying fish who reads thoughts. He also has the ability to make himself look like whatever it is people want to see. That's a handy gift to have when you're a purple fish that floats.

So off they go. A man, the pyromaniac jail bait, and their pal, the big fish. It's a nice motorcycle ride from Los Angeles to Vegas. They missed their chance to see the world's largest ball of twine on the way but, don't worry, in Vegas there's the world's largest ball of Elvis Impersonators.

Like a Demon Katamari all full of hunk upon hunk of burning love, it barrels down the city streets. Some might call that dangerous. Some might call it neat. Spike would probably call it a bit of both but he'll be damned (and he is) if he'll let it keep going. So into the breech once more and at the center of the circle is a face. A big, spooky one, too, with tentacles all around it.

I'll take "This is a trap" for 200, Alex. Well, not so much a trap as a test. Who has come to paint the town red? It's Spike and, apparently, he's in for a world of hurt and maybe a few surprises. But that's not what matters now. That's future Spike's problem. Right now the day needs saving so he plunges his sword into the great big face o' demon and, I'll be damned if the day? Saved. Good on ya, mate.

But the future is bounding forward faster than Spike knows. In an nondescript hotel room a phone rings, letting the man who picks up know that Spike's in town. There's a lady laying next to him, naked and beautiful. He covers her body in kisses and she relishes the attention. It's a fun game for her but, you see, she's not meant for this man. She's meant for Spike. Because she's the one that made him the man he is today.

Drusilla.

She tells the man that Spike will always have her heart and that he wouldn't understand. That's okay, he says. I can do you one better.

That bastard has my soul.

To be continued!

The Review: It's funny reading this hot off the heels of Buffy #37. In that comic it's all about how Buffy and Spike relate to one another. And that is great. But the thing I like best about IDW's Spike is that it's a chance to see him on his own, making his own team, being the master of his own destiny. That's where Brian excels. He knows how to craft a Spike story unencumbered by that pesky question: Who is Buffy's one true love? In this comic, that doesn't matter.

It's issue one and, like you'd expect it reads an awful lot like "Hey, let's get the old band back together". I love Beck and George and seeing them together with Spike on a motorcycle is the kind of reunion that comic nerd dreams are made of. There's a dynamic there. You know they're all like Spike, kind of antagonistic, always wanting the final word, and just a bit chaotic neutral, so to speak. But you know they'll stand behind Spike, do what he says.

A giant ball full of Elvises is a sure sign you're reading a Brian Lynch book. That man knows how to bring the quirky comedy. Brian's Spike is lord of the snarky quip and the world he surveys is not short on things to point and laugh at. There's always that comedic undertone in Brian's writing, that clever turn that makes you laugh when you least expect to.

And there's Drusilla. I'm one of those fans who, for years, kept saying "Where the hell is she?" and now I finally get my answer. Some might say Drusilla and Spike, there's no story left to tell there. But Spike's got a soul now and who knows what Dru's been up to so I beg to differ. It's been a long time coming.

In the comic biz there always needs to be a hook in that last panel, something that will make the kids come back for more and that final line made me jump out of my seat. Spike has someone else's soul? What does that even mean? I have no idea but it made me excited. And that's what good comic writing does. It makes you excited enough that one month's wait feels like an eternity.

Just one final note: let's all give a little love to the return of Franco Urru, whose art has become synonymous with Brian's Angelverse books. He has an ability like no other to capture these characters and provide the perfect complement to Brian's words. It's not just Spike who got the old band back together, Brian did, too. With Brian, Franco, and, now, Mariah, we've got a creative team that can't be beat.

If you love Spike, this isn't even a question. Pick it up or face the certainty that I will be shaking my head in disappointment at you. You don't want that, do you? I didn't think so. Spike #1 hits stands everywhere next Wednesday, the 13th of September.

Spike has someone else's soul?
Old 10-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Addicted Fan

Both the Dark Horse and IDW panels from NYCC are over.

The Dark Horse panel.

Newsarama.com : NYCC 2010: DARK HORSE LIVE!

NYCC 2010: Dark Horse LIVE!

By Lucas Siegel, Newsarama Editor
posted: 08 October 2010

Dark Horse was at New York Comic Con to talk about their 2011 slate of projects. Lucas Siegel was there LIVE with panel coverage. Follow along, or read it later by clicking "replay."

6:07 Dollhouse comics are launching in 2011

6:09 Dollhouse will take place in the "Epitaph" future from the DVDs

Friday October 8, 2010 6:09
6:09 For Buffy Season 9, Angel will also be launching, as will Spike, in 2011.

6:24 Buffy Season 9 will likely start in August, partially to wait for Angel and Spike to come back.

Friday October 8, 2010 6:24
6:25 To clarify, that's for the publishing rights to Angel and Spike series to come back to Dark Horse.

So Buffy will have her comic

Angel will have his comic

Spike will have his comic.

All under the season 9 banner and part of the season 9 story.

I'm sure Buffyfest or other sites will be getting interviews and stuff with more details over the weekend.

IDW panel

Newsarama.com : NYCC 2010 - IDW Sneak Peek at 2011 Panel LIVE!

NYCC 2010 - IDW Sneak Peek at 2011 Panel LIVE!

By Amanda McDonald
posted: 08 October 2010

Best Shots' Amanda McDonald is live! and in-person at IDW Publishing's Sneak Peek @ 2011 panel Friday at New York Comic Con.

Click below to follow along as it all happens...

6:20 Special guest in Angel coming, Willow and Spike will have "something special going on in Vegas"

Wonder who the special guest in Angel is?

Again,I expect Buffyfest and other sites to have more details and interviews from the con that will shed light on both panel's news.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Addicted Fan

Buffyfest report from the IDW panel.Video at link.

Buffyfest: IDW Panel NYCC 2010 (SPOILERS)

Saturday, October 9, 2010

IDW Panel NYCC 2010 (SPOILERS)

During IDW's panel, Chris Ryall and company made a little announcement regarding the final future of their Angel properties. Here's some video and accompanying images. Some spoilers are ahead so, you know, avast!

Old 10-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Addicted Fan

Buffyfest Dark Horse panel report.There's video there too.And a bit from Bleeding Cool

Buffyfest: Dark Horse Panel at NYCC 2010

Dark Horse Panel at NYCC 2010

Dark Horse also had their panel at New York Comic Con today. Some Whedonish bullet points were:

- Shepherd Book comic is coming out later this year.
- The Dollhouse series has finally been confirmed.
- They're doing more extensive Guild books.
- Angel will be getting his own book in 2011 (duh)
- and *maybe* Spike *maybe*

Check out the full video below and some Q&A as well:

Finally, VP of Marketing Micha Hershman had this important announcement to make about the future of Dark Horse Digital Media:

In that video, Micha mentioned that Fray and Serenity: Better Days #1 will be free on iTunes this weekend along with a slew of other Dark Horse titles. So go and get your NYCC freebies, even if you're not here at the convention!

Ten Things I Learned At NYCC Bleeding Cool Comic Book News and Rumors

Ten Things I Learned At NYCC

Submitted by Rich Johnston on October 8, 2010

6. Dark Horse teased the possibility of a Spike mini-series as part of Buffy Season Nine, but I also heard about a Faith series too.

In the Buffyfest panel they said that they aren't flooding the market with Buffy books as a retailer Scott talked to was concerned about.They are telling a particular story that will be spread over more then one title(Buffy will have her book,Angel will have his book and other characters like Spike will have their book and miniseres) since they found in season 8 that it was difficult to follow the cast of characters in one book.

So Faith might be getting a series too.

Brian Lynch said this about the ending to his Spike #1.

IDW Publishing Forums :: View topic - SPIKE #1: Reviews, Reactions, Spoilers.

The truth is absolutely not as simple as Spike having that guy's soul. Spike has his own soul. But there are strings....
Old 10-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Addicted Fan

ICv2 - The Whedonverse Expands at Dark Horse

The Whedonverse Expands at Dark Horse

'Dollhouse' Joins 'Buffy,' 'Angel,' 'Spike,' & 'Willow'

Published: 10/09/2010

Dark Horse is planning a major expansion of its Joss Whedon-related licensed comics in 2011. Dark Horse’s Jeremy Atkins told ICv2 that when Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Nine debuts in mid-2011 it will be joined by a monthly Angel comic along with spin-offs featuring Willow and Spike.

Dark Horse’s Atkins also told ICv2, “Additionally we are going to be picking up Dollhouse where it left off on the television show, much like we did with Buffy. We are starting as a mini-series and we will see where it goes from there. It will be written by Jed Whedon, who worked on the show as well.”

Dark Horse recently re-acquired the rights to Angel (see “Angel Comics Head Back to Dark Horse”), and the current Buffy Season Eight series, which continued the narrative of the cancelled TV series, is Dark Horse’s bestselling comic book title.

So Willow is getting a spin-off series along with Buffy,Angel and Spike.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I like this idea
Old 10-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Addicted Fan

Buffyfest Interviews Mariah Huehner & David Tischman About The End Of Angel At IDW.Major spoilers for last Angel arc at IDW.

Buffyfest: Buffyfest Interviews IDW's Mariah Huehner & David Tischman at NYCC 2010

Buffyfest Interviews IDW's Mariah Huehner & David Tischman at NYCC 2010

Buffyfest: This is Dan aka Bitsy and I'm here on the floor of NYCC with Bufyfest and we're with David Tischman and Mariah Huehner who are the co-writers of the Angel book.

Buffyfest: How are you doing at the con so far?

David Tishman: Having fun.

Mariah Huehner: Yeah, we're good. I mean we're kind of crazed but we're good.

DT: Busy day.

Buffyfest: Have you managed to do anything that is not con related while you've been in New York, Mariah?

MH: Not really. I saw my mom, that's it.

Buffyfest; So you've been working on something that was originally based around someone else's story (Bill WIllingham) but in #39, you're gonna be taking over. It's going to be all you.

DT: It's a brave, new world with #39. It's a world (dramatic pause) that James T. Kirk could have done. And I reference Captain Kirk and Star Trek because as I'd mentioned in another interview (once it's in two interviews it's research), as of issue #39... you know, Angel has such a great cast and a lot of, I think, Mariah and I, as writers and I think the fans as well... you know Connor is such a big character and there's so much about Connor and so many things are happening to Connor right now and there's also Angel and obviously Angel, his name's on the book. The name's on the cover, it's about him. So we tried to find a way to get the best of both worlds and in fact we have the best of both worlds and we did that by taking Angel and getting him transported into the future.

Buffyfest: Tell me what you can about what the future is like.

MH: Uh... has anybody watched Blade Runner?

DT: Worse.

B: Are there any flying cars?

DT: You know what? There's no flying. It's a **** hole.

MH: Yeah. We really wanted this to be different than After the Fall. After the Fall ias hell is a very specific kind of LA. This is a very different, very bleak, very unpleasant, very demon-centric (because that's going on everywhere) and Angel really doesn't know this for a while so you kind of just jump right in and I think here's an interesting juxtaposition between him and Connor. You know some of the earlier storytelling stuff definitely put the focus on the cast of team Angel. THis is doesn't really do that in thae sense that Angel is at the center of this book. But there's a parallel going on in the story that starts to get pretty weird and it has a lot to do with things that are upcoming for Angel as we near the end of this arc. So there's going to be a lot of general stuff that he's gonna have to deal with.

B: How far in the future is he going?

DT: It's far in the future.

MH: It's far.

B: Would anybody else be alive? Nobody?

DT: You're going to have to be it and see the last page of issue #39. Let me put it this way: it is far enough in the future what James, who is our big bad, who as we have seen in some of the earlier issues ... James has turned Earth into a demon breeding ground. It's a farm. Okay? it's a puppy mill for demons and because of that demons, vampires, humans they all sort of live side by side. They're all sort of this underclass. james doesn't care about ecology. He doesn't care about anything really other than birthing these demons which, by the way, he needs humans to host.

B: Ew.

DT: Exactly:

MH: It's nasty.

DT: So it's really gross. So there is this underclass of demons, vampires, humans, all kinds of things going around but the other thing is that Earth has become kind of a company town and James is the company. So everything is around him. Now, you might ask yourself, in a world like that, who are the good guys? Well, believe it or not, Angel is brought to the future by the one group who wants to get rid of James more than Angel does. DO you know who that might be?

B: Wolfram & Hart?

DT: Because as James has taken over the planet, Wolfram & Hart has been completely sidelined.

B: Their apocalypse is kind of ousted.

DT: Nobody cares about them anymore.

MH: It's been hinted before, that no matter how much they want to present themselves as this all knowing, all powerful group... you know, Illyria hinted that, oh, hey were really not that far above the vampires at one point so it's clear that they can screw up and screw up monumentally and the time shift that brought everybody back to the alley, we've been showing for a while that it's been having a lot of consequences. This keeps that going and shows that this has farther reaching rammifications than they were prepared for. They just sort of do things and then go "Oops". Thi is a really big "oops" because it allows a lot of things back that wouldn't have been able to get back and James is really taking advantage of the situation. Wolfram &Hart is not in the position they once were and they want t be. You know, they don't like being not in charge.

B: Are humans bad in this future? Is there an upper class that includes humans?

DT: That's actually a very good question because humans are actually an underclass.

B: Right but are there exceptions to that rule?

DT: Well there are always exceptions to that rule, but I'm not sure we're necessarily going to see that. What I will say is that by us bringing Angel to this future and having him kind of fighting with Wolfam &Hart against James, he is very much a return to Angel the TV show Season One. In it's tone, in who Angel is and what his mission is and remember we've got all this great supporting cast. They have their own story. It's also a world where Angel doesn't have to hold back. It's also a world that is so ecologically screwed up that no sunshine gets through so he can walk around anytime day or night.

B: He's without limit at that point.

DT: Correct. Now in our time, in the past, you have Angel Investigations.

MH: We have Connor, Gunn is back. There's a little bit of tension between those two but we do explore that relationship a little bit further because there was that whole sort of melt down. Illyria is off for a bit for her own little miniseries. That does tie into Angel #42 and there will be a really big reveal for that. kate goes off to do her own thing.

B: Oh, yeah, Kate.

MH: Yes.

DT: Yeah, chances are you won't see Kate. In a panel. Once.

MH: Maybe. But Laura and Polyphemus are still and around and they are still figuring out how to sort of run everything. it sounds very complicated but the reality is that it's two parallel stories that are working towards each other and when they finally get to the crux of where things need to go it's a really big, epic story.

DT: And because the Angel Investigations story has its own space to breath, one of the things Mariah and I have talked a lot about is trying to play with Larua and Mr. P (as I like to call him) and really play that as Thin Man, like real weird psycho love story. He's in love with her but he's a ball of rock. And there's fun stuff to play with there.

MH: I personally really like the floating, demon library. I think that's fun.

B: You've got six issues to do all this.

DT: That's all you need.

B: So that's not been a challenge to you at all.

MH: The real challenge has been #33 to #38 which is wrapping up someone else's story line which is not an easy thing to do. Bill was great as we were coming in, giving us the plot and his plans and I think that was really terrific, but we had to make sure that ended up where we needed it to so that #39 could really just take off and we could really do what we needed to do with it and that story line, I think David just really took it and ran with it. he said "This is what I think we need to do with this" and I said "Yes. The character needs to end up here, this is how we need to take it and he did it really quickly, and I think it came out pretty easily. Not to get too much into what's happening at Dark Horse but we're not telling the pre-Twilight story. We are telling our own story. But, you know, there are some there are some easter eggs for the fans to look for throughout the course of this story line that fans should keep their eyes peeled for.

B: I want to switch gears. David, I want to talk about these two other books that you're working on.

DT: I announced a book today that is going to be digital and be released on the MTV Geek site. That is called Beowolf Jones. Beowolf Jones is a warrior for hire. He likes his meat rare and his damsels young. he is a Raymond Chandler style hero in a barbarian world. it is Conan meets Shaft. There are wizards instead of drug dealers, there a slave merchants instead of pimps, and there are whores because there are always whores. Beowolf Jones is contacted by the Protorian Guard to find a girl. It turns out the girl is really his long ago love who once meant more to him than anything in the world.

B: That's a real classic story.

DT: Exactly. As he unravels this, in a Chandler way, we find out that it is never about black and white, it's always about green. it's about money and the greed, it's about power, and it's about what people have to do to survive.

B: Do we know when MTV is going to debut this?

DT: It should debut in February 2011. The artist on it is Todd Harris. He did a book called prodigal for APE. Todd is a storyboard artist so his action sequences are phenomenal. It's a really great balls to the walls action story with a guy who keeps it close to the vest but there's really a lot going on there.

B: Let's talk about the other book.

DT: There is another vampire book.

B: Tell me about it.

DT: I can't say a whole lot right now.

B: Vague it up.

DT: Have you seen "Let Me in"?

B: I haven't.

MH: You really should.

DT: D you watch the True Blood

B: I do watch the True Blood.

DT: Were you a fan of Godrich?

B: Yes.

DT: I think if you were to put Godrich and "Let Me In" in a box and shake it. That's sort of where we might be.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Addicted Fan

Sorry,couldn't get this posted sooner.Was at a football game(Go Ravens)

Buffyfest interview with Scott Allie from NYCC.

Buffyfest: Buffyfest Interviews Dark Horse's Scott Allie at NYCC 2010

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Buffyfest Interviews Dark Horse's Scott Allie at NYCC 2010

Lots of news has come out of NYCC 2010 so far in regards to Buffy & Co. It seems that Season 9 will be chock full of stories come its debut next year. Earlier today it was confirmed that, along with Buffy and Angel, Willow and Spike will also be getting their very own spin-offs. Aw, they're all growns-up! Major Faith Comic rumors were circling about this weekend, too, so we met up with Super Scott Allie to dish about that, the notorious upcoming Issue #39 and all things Whedon.

Scott talks about the difference between being a co-writer and editing.Buffy's dialog and Willow's are the hardest to write for him.
Writing Spike is fun(he knows it sounds like pandering to people who he thinks he needs to pander to) and easy to get.Really can here Tony Head when he writes Giles.Spoils that he has some fun Warren/Amy dialog coming.Talks about the changes in writing issue 37's first draft.No real surprises came for Scott in the last few issues of season 8 since they've known the ending for a long while.Issue 39 will make some people ill.It's a good climax.Devastation is good word to describe issue 39.Joss is still working on issue 40.The Spike fantasies in issue 37 by Buffy were all Joss.He wrote the first seven pages.That was about respecting the Buffy/Spike relationship since they know they weren't satisfying that section of the fan base.They just didn't have time to deal with it due to the story moving so fast so this was there way of addressing things.It's a call back to issue 1 and Buffy missing that sex.She missed the sex.Scott won't answer about the lion creature looking like the tattoo on Angel's back.Scott confirms that Buffy will be interacting with Connor and Illyria in season 9.More details about season 9 won't be coming until after season 8 wraps and IDW wraps their run with the characters.The Jo Chen cover for Buffy #40 fits the mood of the climax.Says Spike and Dawn not on the Jeanty cover for issue 40 is another colossal Dark Horse mistake(pretty clear watching the interview Scott is playing coy with tongue firmly planted in cheek.).A Faith series is not definite.Scott himself hasn't talked about her like some other characters.

Head over to see video.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Addicted Fan

CBR's Behind Buffy #37.

BEHIND BUFFY SEASON 8: "Home Sweet Hellmouth" - Comic Book Resources

BEHIND BUFFY SEASON 8: "Home Sweet Hellmouth"

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season 8" editor and co-writer Scott Allie returns to CBR for an inside look at one of the final issues of Joss Whedon's epic including the return to Sunnydale, the role of Spike, the secret of the Seed and more!

by Kiel Phegley, News Editor

SPOILER WARNING: This article contains major spoilers for "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8" #37, in stores now.

Though he's gearing up for big screen glory with a certain Avenging superteam, Joss Whedon is nearing the goal line of the comic book project closest to his heart: Dark Horse's canonical "Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8." After a series of twists and turns that have stretched over the past three years, the series has reached its final arc.

To help prepare fans for the hit series' impending finale, CBR is back with an all-new installment of BEHIND BUFFY SEASON 8 - a monthly column featuring interviews with the creators and staff behind the creation of Buffy's last two stories highlighting the questions being answered, the characters thrown into crisis, and the future of the entire Buffy franchise. This week, "Buffy" editor extraordinaire (and final arc co-writer with Whedon) Scott Allie stops by to dig into issue #37 – part two of the "Last Gleaming" arc – from the Scooby gang's return to the Hellmouth that was their hometown of Sunnydale, the meaning of magic in the Buffy universe, the roles both Spike and the Master play and how the final battle will play out in the next two months!

CBR News: Right out the gate in this story, we get a sort of "Creation Myth" for the Buffyverse. How important is the setup of those big, overarching ideas for this story?

Scott Allie: It is Creation Myth. We're kind of retconning the whole universe a little bit, but I think it's really just a level of information that Joss never got into before about the origins of vampires and of this world. We're placing significance on Sunnydale in this particular way, and it definitely changes the backs story cosmically.

To help refresh my own memory, how did the original explanation of the Hellmouth in Sunnydale go, and are these two ideas really contradictory?

No, they're not contradictory at all, and they're not mutually exclusive nor are they necessarily linked. There's a number of Hellmouths around the world, and they're gateways to Hell or to other dimensions, depending on how you look at it. There are a couple different ones, and yet the Sunnydale one seems to be the focus of all Apocalyptic energy in the world. So the Seed is basically the reason why the Sunnydale Hellmouth is as important as it is. You don't just have this potentially really dangerous gateway to another world. You also have the source of all magic in the world and embodiment of the soul of the planet in this one little location – the removal of which would be more catastrophic than simply opening the Hellmouth.

Last week, we spoke about Buffy, Angel and Spike in terms of these characters no longer being in a triangle since there should be no doubt the Buffy/Angel connection is the strong, true love in the universe. Should Buffy's almost embarrassingly ill-timed fantasizing about Spike be seen as a kind of residual effect from the cosmic sex she had with Angel?

Well, it just kind of happens when you're her. I think that's part of it. Buffy has these strong feelings about a couple of different people. If you're talking about her mind getting carried away with her after seeing Spike again after not seeing him for so long, I don't know that you necessarily have to attribute that to the residual effects of Twilight. This is just her, and following what goes on in her head is a little easier to do in the comic than in the TV show. And this is her genuine lustful relationship and feelings for him.

The line that really stands out here is when she tells him "you're my dark place." In a way, Spike has always played that bad boy role in the triangle. What do you think he still offers the series in that position?

Different people certainly have different ideas about the relationship between Buffy and Spike, but to me this thing about him being her dark place feels very consistent. That seems to be a very unchanging aspect of their relationship. She could share things with him that she couldn't share with anybody else in part because she knew she wouldn't be judged. And it's not just that he's "the bad boy." There's a real level of understanding between the two of them.

On the other side of the relationship stuff, we've got the interaction between Xander and Dawn. As you guys are breaking out the story, how important has it been to keep turning back and giving the supporting cast their own place in the finale?

You know, it's been really difficult. I was talking to a couple of people about this earlier today. I saw the movie "The Town" over last weekend – great movie. And they made some really interesting choices about taking characters that were right there in the middle of the action and making them practically invisible. In there, you've got these four bank robbers, and only two of them get fleshed out as real characters at all. You've got two guys who are there for ever job, and you never get a sense of who they are as people. And that's the autonomy of storytelling you need sometimes – to let your supporting cast drop out into the background. But with "Buffy" and a number of Joss' things, you have this ensemble with quite a number of characters, all of whom have very distinct personalities and very distinct plots that need to be served pretty well over the course of the series. It's totally a challenge.

This one page right here with the two of them was necessary for major plot points later on, but it's a challenge to give all the notable characters in the book that space. It's funny when fans write in about how they wish that Marcie Ross was there or this character or that, because with all the characters we've got we can't fit anybody more in here. And there are things in "Season 8" with our supporting cast we didn't get to develop as much as we would've liked. And in some ways we're done. In terms of scripts, we've reached the end so we don't get to do more with character A or B who didn't already get it. There are certain threads that didn't get as much room as we would've liked. For instance, we didn't see as much of what Faith and Giles wanted to be up to as we would've liked because we had to keep the story moving and couldn't stop it all for their thing.

Getting this scene with Xander and Dawn was very important. They're totally at the core of this whole story, and we couldn't get to far away from them. What's going on with them contributes to things that'll happen next issue. But it's a real wrestling match trying to get enough room for everybody while keeping it simple enough to move it forward.

The other significant tease on this page is our mustachioed interloper at the end. What significance can we draw from his eavesdropping as we move into the last two issues?

That's the general who's been involved in things since pretty much the very beginning, and we will see more of him. His overhearing this conversation doesn't simply lead to him wanting to plead his love to somebody else in the next issue. [Laughter] He's listening intently. He's definitely paying attention to what Xander's saying.

We get a great bit of Georges tapping into his inner Cthulu in the battle. Did you have an idea that he'd be delivering these kinds of massive creatures from the start, or did you discover his skill for this stuff as you were going?

Discovered it. It's funny because as a fan of the "Buffy" TV show but also as a serious horror and Lovecraft fan – being a fan of the show, I was always a little disappointed with the monsters because there's only so much you can do. You're limited to an actor in a rubber suit generally. So in the comics, I've always wanted to go bigger and do something that would be harder to pull off with just an actor and some limited CG budgets. There's a tendency when you're working on a property to be consistent with the vision of the property. The fact that you've had so many bipedal monsters and demons over the years – it makes sense to stick with that to some degree. But I didn't expect Georges to be quite so good about doing really twisted, weird, demonic stuff. Because I came on as co-writer for the final arc, I really made a point to push that in the script and ask for things like "Georges, I want you with this monster to break away and do some things you've never done before." And he really rose to the occasion every time really, really well. I don't think I expected that from him when we started this book, but his ability to grow with it and create things like Kenny the Thricewise back in issue #25 shows that Georges is just great with designing really cool monsters and stuff that's not typical to a superhero comic book artist.

This sequence also features a lot of Angel throwing himself into fighting back against what's happening. How much of this arc is a redemption arc for him?

It's pure redemption. He feels the need for it, and Buffy and all of them know he has a lot he has to make up for right now. He felt he was serving a purpose by being Twilight, and to whatever degree he was wrong – and he was a little bit wrong, at least – he needs to make up for it by getting out there and helping in the fight now that the fight is as big as it is. Angel's life over the past couple of hundred years has been making up for his sins and the really evil things he's done, and he's back at it. He's back at having to make up for recent sins, and that's really his place in the book – to redeem himself. And Buffy knows he needs to redeem himself, though there are a lot of people close to her who don't think he can redeem himself. Those people are going to have to decide if they can forgive him.

And it's funny. We get a lot of letters from readers that literally complain that or accuse us of "ruining Angel" because of the things he's done. And it's like "Wow!" I don't see it that way, but it's a pretty strong reaction, and I know what they mean. He did some pretty unforgivable things. And he's done them before – before there was a TV show. And he's done them now in "Season 8." Does that make him ruined? Does that make him irredeemable? I don't think so. It means he just has to work that harder.

On page 18, we get Buffy to the rescue, but the thing that really stands out here is...

That last line, right? [Laughter]

Well that, and the other thing is that we get the briefest interaction with her and Willow on the top of the page. Willow's part in this issue teases the idea that there will be a betrayal against Buffy. How aware is Buffy of this broader mystical stuff going on, and how will her understanding of the big picture affect the finale of the arc?

One of the challenges in this final five is nailing the focus down to what needs to be done in the midst of this colossal crisis and conflict. We've risked a lot of repetition with having Willow say, "You've got to protect the seed. Keep everyone away from it." Willow's repeating herself a little bit because, yeah, Buffy is a little unaware. We've got to make sure she's not completely unaware. We've got to make sure she knows a fair amount of what's going on and has a clear agenda in all this. From this point on – from late in #37 and through on to the end, there's going to be a tremendous amount of action, and she needs to stay focused.

I would say Buffy's inability to pay attention leads to her being taken by surprise at the end of #37. But Willow's repeating herself just to make damn sure that Buffy knows what the priority is here. I think Buffy know and Spike knows, and the team in general is on mission in terms of what they need to prevent from happening, and it's just a question of whether they're going to be able to.

On the next page, we get the briefest of those supporting character vignettes that makes the whole book come full circle to an extent thinking of that first arc being "The Long Road Home." To what extent have your discussion with Joss been about bringing things full circle to the original series and the first few seasons?

I'd say that we always knew where things were going to wind up, but over time, the significance of that became increasingly clear. We knew where we were going to go, and we knew the location of where everything was going to end, but the importance of that has just grown and grown. Focusing down to the core characters as we reach the climax, focusing on Sunnydale and the emotional significance of the return to Sunnydale and the emotional significance of bringing this girl back to where she was when she was just a girl – we knew that's where we were going, and we've played it up harder as we've approached the climax.

Page 22 is a great spotlight for Georges to do another major action beat, but the thing I end up asking about the whole scene is "What is the significance of the Master's commentary?" Does he protect the Seed not so much because he loves this world but because he things they have done nothing to deserve another?

"They" as in Buffy and Spike?

Well, I guess he think it's Buffy and Spike who have done this, although I guess we'll find out if his confusion on that has significance, won't we?

Well, mainly we're playing it for laughs that he was expecting Angel and its actually Spike. But I think that when you're looking at big power – at these huge, colossal, supernatural powers – everybody has a different perspective on it. Buffy knows what she knows, and Spike knows what he knows, but they didn't know the Master was down there. And now they know, and he holds different information than they hold. In some ways, he holds more information, though that doesn't necessarily mean that he's right and they're wrong.

One thing I find kind of fun with the supernatural stuff is that it's just like religion. Christians can look at Muslims and go, "Oh, you guys don't get it. You just don't understand God" just like Muslims can look at Christians and go, "What? You guys don't understand God." that's what we see in religion and what I'd assume we'd see with the supernatural stuff too. Everybody thinks they've got all the answers when all they really have is their own perspective. That's kind of what's going on. That's where the Master is speaking from. There are bits of information he holds that are totally true that Buffy and Spike don't have, but that doesn't mean he holds all the answers.

The one question the whole issue begs – like when you read the scene with the bugs piloting the ship where Spike says to Buffy, "That's a story for another time" – is that for all the answers and conclusions we're about to dive into, is there some things Joss is holding back in the pocket for other projects and pieces of this universe?

Yeah, some stuff and some stuff not. One of the joys of this stuff, as it was on the TV show or in "Hellboy" or all these things, is that it's like the old "Star Wars" movies. There was some stuff that they'd make reference to that 30 years later would come up in "Episode 1" but there were other aspects you'd never get more on. Like in "Empire," where Han says to Leia "Oh yeah, when we did this..." you never get the story. There's going to be a certain amount of that in "Season 8." These days, people expect to have every nook and cranny plugged in, and that's not necessarily going to happen.

But the "story for another time" that Spike tells Buffy about, that particularly is a spot where IDW pretty much should have paid us for an ad because that's the story that they're doing with Brian Lynch at IDW. When Spike tells Buffy "it's a story for another time" what he's saying is "You'll get it in the IDW series." That's one of the little things in Joss' pocket, and there are some other of those things that'll show up in "Season 9" or somewhere else. But some of it, you won't. That's the thing I think some Buffy fans can't overcome. Some of it doesn't need to be spelled out. It's not about spelling out every minute of someone's life. Sometimes it's just a good line to throw out there. That's all you get.

As I was going through this issue and making questions for the interview, the one that literally popped into my mind when I saw the last page was "What the **** is this thing?"

[Laughs] You've got to go back and read Brian K. Vaughan's arc. None of this stuff is stuff we just made up or pulled out of our butts. At the end of this issue, people who have been reading along carefully are going to see that page and go, "Holy ****! We thought you forgot about that!" But we didn't! Don't flip through too fast or you'll miss it. It was a seed that was planted, so to speak, and it's way more important than anybody thought given the amount of space it was given. You have seen that thing before...though you'd think you'd remember. [Laughter]

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8" #37 is on sale now. And tune in next month for more of CBR's BEHIND BUFFY SEASON 8!

Last edited by comic fan; 10-11-2010 at 04:59 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread