Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2018, 08:23 AM
Addicted Fan

Small spoiler for tomorrows's Buffy S12 # 2 from Editors Notes Comics.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EdsNoteCo...2209802240?p=v

Editor's Note Comics
Editor's Note Comics
@EdsNoteComics Replying to @HandlerLyon

I was a little concerned there wasn’t enough time left to go to the future for a whole issue. That was a dumb concern and I was wrong.

Sounds like the whole issue is set in the future.

ETA

Another spoilerish tweet from Editor's Note Comics about Buffy S12 # 2.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EdsNoteCo...17797538222081

Editor's Note Comics
@EdsNoteComics

@Christosgage so Buffy. It's really fantastic seeing the level of detail going into tying up all the loose ends. There're some serious deep cut pulls in the issue. I loved the surprise reveal, didn't see it coming. And that's my favorite Angel moment you've written so far.

10:58 AM - 16 Jul 2018

Last edited by comic fan; 07-17-2018 at 11:59 AM
Old 07-18-2018, 06:45 AM
Addicted Fan

The slayalive Q/A with Georges Jeanty for Buffy S12 # 2 has started.

Spoilers Q&A with Buffy Season 12 Artist Georges Jeanty (Part 1)

Q&A with Buffy Season 12 Artist Georges Jeanty (Part 1)

Hi all.
Buffy Season 12 artist, Georges Jeanty (Twitter: @KabaLounge) is happy to be back in the fold and he's agreed to do a couple of Q&As with us. So bring on those questions!

I'm limiting this to TWO (2) questions per person until I reopen the floor.

If you're not a SlayAlive user and would like to submit a question, please email me at wenxina[AT]slayalive.com and I'll be happy to slot you in.

As usual, we're happy to share with others, but please link back to us instead of copying and pasting wholesale.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Addicted Fan

Tweet from Christos Gage.Fred will be seen next issue.

https://twitter.com/Christosgage/sta...48368824397824

Dan D Vale‏ @dano_roma · 2h2 hours ago
Enjoyed Buffy #2 but have to ask, Fred is still body sharing with Illyria right? Will we see Fred at all?

Christos Gage‏ @Christosgage

Replying to @dano_roma

Yes, in #3

I'm glad Fred will be seen.As much as I despise the very idea of Angel/Illyria even if it does seem like it's being played very jokey here,The question of where Fred fits in to it has been really bugging me.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Addicted Fan

OFFICIAL:Buffy Is Being Rebooted.Joss Is Producing.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-works-1128888

July 20, 2018 by Lesley Goldberg

'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' Inclusive Reboot in the Works With Joss Whedon

Monica Owusu-Breen has been hired by producers 20th Century Fox Television to pen the script for the new take on Joss Whedon's cult favorite. A network is not yet attached.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is getting the reboot treatment.

20th Century Fox Television, who produced the original Joss Whedon drama, have put a new take on the beloved Sarah Michelle Gellar drama in development. Writer Monica Breen, who worked with Whedon on ABC's Agents of SHIELD, has been hired to pen the adaptation and serve as showrunner on the reboot.

Whedon will be an exec producer on the series and has been working with Breen on the script, which features a black actress stepping into the role of Buffy made famous by Gellar.

Gail Berman, Joe Earley, Fran Kazui and Kaz Kazui (who produced Whedon's original Buffy film that inspired the TV series) will also serve as exec producers on the potential series. A network is not yet attached for the new Buffy, talks for which began last fall. Producers Fox 21 TV Studios will pitch the Buffy re-do to streaming and cable outlets later this summer in a package bound to ignite a bidding war. It's unclear if Whedon will have any additional role on the new Buffy due to his other commitments, which include HBO's recent straight-to-series order The Nevers.

Talks for a new Buffy began last fall. A decision to move forward was determined after Breen was identified as the right writer for the reboot. A script or director has not yet been determined. Casting for the central role of Buffy has also not yet been determined. The new version, sources say, will be contemporary and build on the mythology of the original. Like today's world, the new Buffy will be richly diverse, with some aspects of the series, like the flagship, seen as metaphors for issues facing society today.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer ran for seven seasons on The WB Network (which evolved to become The CW) and UPN. The series continued in comic book form after completing its run in 2003. Buffy was based on the feature film of the same name that starred Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry that was originally penned by Whedon.

The cult favorite series became a breakout and helped turn Whedon into a household name, while also launching the careers of the series' stars (including David Boreanaz and Alyson Hannigan) and writers (including Jane Espenson and Marti Noxon). Buffy ranks as one of the greatest TV series of all time and has been hailed for the way in which Whedon and the writers challenged gender norms and portrayed Buffy (Gellar) as a feminist hero.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter in March 2017, pegged to the show's 20th anniversary, Whedon said he wouldn't rule a Buffy reboot or reunion out but also expressed his "fear" at the idea. "I see a little bit of what I call monkey's paw in these reboots. You bring something back, and even if it's exactly as good as it was, the experience can't be. You've already experienced it, and part of what was great was going through it for the first time. You have to meet expectations and adjust it for the climate, which is not easily. Luckily most of my actors still look wonderful, but I'm not worried about them being creaky. I'm more worried about me being creaky as a storyteller. You don't want that feeling that you should have left before the encore."

The decision to reboot Buffy comes a few months after Fox and 20th TV chairman and CEO Gary Newman hinted that the title could soon find itself into the studio's development pipeline. "[Buffy] is probably our most ripe show for a remake, it's something we talk about frequently," he said in March, noting that the choice to do so ultimately was up to Whedon.

For her part, Breen recently created and showran NBC's Midnight, Texas. She left the series after season one. Her credits include Revolution, Fringe, Brothres & Sisters, Alias, Lost and Charmed. She's repped by WME.

The Buffy reboot and HBO drama mark a return to television for Whedon, whose credits include Buffy spinoff Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse. The once-beloved showrunner has been criticized more recently after allegations of abuse and cheating from his ex-wife. Whedon is repped by CAA and Ziffren Brittenham

Reboots and spinoffs continue to be in demand as broadcast, streaming and cable outlets alike look for proven IP in a bid to both monetize libraries and cut through a cluttered scripted landscape that features more than 500 scripted originals this year alone. For its part, 20th TV has revived 24 and Prison Break, among others, in recent years. The Buffy reboot is part of a larger effort by Fox 21 to expand its slate to streaming and cable.

https://www.cbr.com/whedon-buffy-vampire-slayer-reboot/

Joss Whedon’s Buffy: The Vampire Slayer Lands TV Reboot

Buffy will return to television in a reboot centered on the character originally portrayed by Sarah Michelle-Gellar, now played by a black actor.

by Anthony Couto

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is returning to television in a reboot executive produced by franchise creator Joss Whedon (The Avengers).

20th Century Fox Television is reportedly developing the new take on Buffy, which will center on a younger version of the titular character portrayed by Sarah Michelle-Gellar on the ’97 series, now played by a black actor.

Writer Monica Owusu-Breen, who previously collaborated with Whedon on Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., will write the reboot; Whedon is set to serve as executive producer on the project, in addition to working with Breen on the script.

Fox will reportedly pitch the new Buffy take to “streaming and cable outlets later this summer in a package bound to ignite a bidding war.”

Casting has not been set for the Buffy reboot. It will reportedly feature a “richly diverse” cast, and like the original series, boast metaphors for “issue facing society today.”

Whedon recently inked a deal with HBO to produce his new series, The Nevers. The series is described as “an epic science-fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies and a mission that might change the world.” Whedon will write, direct and serve as showrunner for this series, which sees him return to some familiar themes from his past TV work.

(via The Hollywood Reporter)

https://deadline.com/2018/07/buffy-t...on-1202430592/

‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Series Reboot With Black Lead In Works From Monica Owusu-Breen & Joss Whedon

One of the most beloved TV series of the past two decades, Joss Whedon’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer, is making a comeback. A reboot of the supernatural drama is in development at Fox 21 TV Studios, the cable/streaming division of 20th Century Fox TV, the studios behind the original series, which ran for seven seasons, first on the WB and then on UPN.

Midnight, Texas creator Monica Owusu-Breen has been tapped as writer, executive producer and showrunner of the new Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with the original series’ creator and showrunner Whedon set to executive produce alongside original series’ exec producers Gail Berman, Fran Kazui and Kaz Kazui as well as Joe Earley from Berman’s Jackal Group.

The new version, which will be pitched to streaming and cable networks this summer, will be contemporary, building on the mythology of the original. Per the producers: “Like our world, it will be richly diverse, and like the original, some aspects of the series could be seen as metaphors for issues facing us all today.”

According to sources, the diversity in the show’s description reflects the producers’ intention for the new slayer to be African American. The sources cautioned that the project is still in nascent stages with no script, and many details are still in flux.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which Whedon adapted from the 1992 feature he had written, helped establish him as a creator, Berman as a TV producer, star Sarah Michelle Gellar as a household name and the WB as a TV network. (Berman at the time ran Sandollar Television, which also is getting credit on the potential reboot.)

was a game-changing hit that put the fledgeling WB on the map and was a series that developed a devoted following only a few other series have managed to achieve. Fifteen years after Buffy‘s end, it’s still going strong. That helped make Buffy into a lucrative property for producer 20th Century Fox TV, which used the series’ success to get a bigger license fee from UPN in the show’s controversial move from its original home in 2001.

Buffy also spawned a successful spinoff in Angel, toplined by David Boreanaz, which aired on the WB for five seasons.

20th TV has been at the forefront of the current wave of reboots and revivals with 24: Live Another Day and 24: Legacy, which also opted to shake things up with a black actor, Corey Hawkins, succeeding Kiefer Sutherland, and new installments of Prison Break and The X-Files. The studio also has a Last Man Standing revival on Fox this coming season.

20th TV and the original series’ producers started discussions last fall about rebooting Buffy. After much deliberation and a lengthy back-and-forth, everyone involved agreed the time was right contingent on finding the right writer with the right take. The attention focused on Owusu-Breen.

Whedon and Breen had previously worked together on ABC’s Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D., which Whedon co-created and executive produced/directed and Owusu-Breen co-executive produced.

It is unclear whether Whedon will have any other role on the series due to his many other commitments but he will be creatively involved and is already working with Owusu-Breen.

Whedon, who had been largely focused on features for the past few years, including writing and directing the first two movies in Marvel’s hugely successful The Avengers franchise, The Avengers and The Avengers: Age of Ultron, is making a return to TV. He just signed on to write, executive produce and showrun The Nevers, picked up to series by HBO, and he also exec produces Pippa Smith: Grown-Up Detective, which is in development at Freeform. He is repped by CAA.

Owusu-Breen most recently created the NBC supernatural drama Midnight, Texas based on the books by author Charlaine Harris, and served as executive producer and showrunner on the first season. She previously worked with J.J. Abrams on Alias, Lost and Fringe. Her series credits also include Revolution and Brothers and Sisters. She is repped by WME.

Well,now we know why Season 12 is the final comic season I think.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:55 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

I told y'all this was inevitable.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:16 PM
Addicted Fan

From A New Joss Whedon Interview with IGN.The first part is about the Dr.Horrible comic.The second part is about Buffy.

Joss Whedon Talks Unexpected Dr. Horrible Alliance, Ending Buffy's Story (Again) - Comic-Con 2018 - IGN

Here's the Buffy part.

Conversation switched to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, a franchise that is coming to an end at Dark Horse before moving over to BOOM! Studios. Before the change of the publisher guard, the story that started in Buffy Season 8 will find its thematic conclusion in the pages of Buffy Season 12.

“We have to go back to where we started in season eight, and make sure that we made something that is one holistic being,” Whedon said. “This doesn’t exactly mirror that, but is an answer to the question we asked, at least about that period of their lives. But then [Dark Horse was] like, that’s great! You have four issues to do that in. Luckily Chris Gage and I sat down and plotted out, and he’s been doing the scripts, and he’s been a phenomenal writer this whole time for the book. He’s just crushed it. Which tonally and structurally, it’s not an easy thing to do.”

Buffy is also celebrating a landmark anniversary, its 20th to be exact, and Whedon had a lot to say about the legacy the show left behind.

“The thing that I take away the most is the ending, is getting to make the statement that I have always wanted to make, because I write about these bigger than life characters. And that’s just how I roll, I can’t help it. But I struggle with it, because I feel like there is a fascistic underpin to the superhero story of, I am a superior man, and only I can fix it. And I struggle with that. And with Buffy, took the idea of the Chosen One and said, every women in the world deserves to be that. And can share in that power. Honestly, there is no other way that I would have wanted to have ended that, there is no other statement I wanted to go out on. And that’s the thing that I feel like, because it’s the last thing that you take away with it, is that every woman watching it can go, I got a piece of that. Like, that’s in me.”

As for Buffy’s future, news broke that the show will be returning with a new slayer.

So like with Firefly,Dark Horse is losing the rights to Buffy and they are going to BOOM! Studios and that's why season 12 is the final season and only four issuies.It's also why Dark Horse has been so quite on Buffy's comic future.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:05 AM
Addicted Fan

New season 12 art from Georges Jeanty.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlnQAv6n...d=nmrhyldybi1e
Old 07-26-2018, 01:00 PM
Addicted Fan

Doubler Post
Old 07-26-2018, 01:00 PM
Addicted Fan

Some tweets From Christos Gage and Dark Horse about Season 12 in relation to the new reboot tv series.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Voldemorg...8841673728?p=v

Michael
@Voldemorgoth

Buffy S12 #2 was quite epic. Finally a lot of the lore about the final battle is laid out. But much of it also felt like mere exposition & set up for the actual battle and I missed relationship interactions between the characters. And god do I miss @rebekahisaacs ! @Christosgage

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @Voldemorgoth @rebekahisaacs

I always miss Rebekah (and Megan) but I am thrilled to have Georges, he rules. The exposition is on me. I am a wordy mofo. Georges is sending in issue 4 pages now and they are stunning. Tell me what you think about #4!

Michael
@Voldemorgoth Replying to @Christosgage @rebekahisaacs

I am curious. You said the exposition stuff was on you. But arent't you co-writing with Joss ? How much of it does he write and how much do you write ? or are each of you writing specific issues ? Or is Joss only being showrunner and you are scriptwriter ?

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @Voldemorgoth @rebekahisaacs

We wrote the story together but I wrote the actual scripts. It is a lot like he is the showrunner and I am the episode writer.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sparks_sm...1471633410?p=v

Sparky ������
Sparky ������
@sparks_smxth Replying to @DarkHorseComics @Christosgage and 3 others

Does this season have anything to do with the reboot we’ve heard about all week? Or are they completely separate deals?

2:13 PM - 23 Jul 2018

Christos Gage Christos Gage
@Christosgage
Jul 23

Replying to @sparks_smxth @DarkHorseComics and 3 others
Separate

Dark Horse Comics
@DarkHorseComics Replying to @Christosgage @sparks_smxth and 3 others

^ As Christos says, they are separate. These seasons of comics are the official continuation of the original Buffy TV series. 12 is the final season in the "season" format.

There's new article about the new Buffy tv series. The showrunner confirms that this isn't a hard reboot with new actors in the roles(so no re-casting of Buffy,Angel,Xander,Willow Spike etc).The new series will follow a brand new character as the slayer.It sounds like a legacy sequel/revival rather than a hard reboot.

Buffy Reboot Will Follow New Slayer, Showrunner Confirms

Buffy Reboot Will Follow New Slayer, Showrunner Confirms
The black actress lead will be a new Slayer character

By Grant Hermanns ON July 26, 2018

Buffy reboot will follow new slayer, showrunner confirms

It was officially announced last week that the hit WB series Buffy the Vampire Slayer is getting the reboot treatment at Fox with a black actress leading the series! Fan reaction as mixed at first as it was initially seen as though Sarah Michelle Gellar’s portrayal would be replaced. However, new showrunner Monica Owusu-Breen (Alias) has just confirmed that the new series will not be replacing Gellar in the titular role, but rather will focus on a new slayer.

“For some genre writers it’s Star Wars. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my Star Wars,” Owusu-Breen wrote in a tweet. “Before I became a writer, I was a fan. For seven seasons, I watched Buffy Summers grow up, find love, kill that love. I watched her fight and struggle and slay. There is only ONE Buffy. One Xander, one Willow, Giles, Cordelia, Oz, Tara, Kendra, Faith, Spike, Angel…They can’t be replaced. Joss Whedon’s brilliant and beautiful series can’t be replicated. I wouldn’t try to. But here we are, twenty years later…And the world seems a lot scarier. So maybe, it could be time to meet a new Slayer…And that’s all I can say.”

Owusu-Breen’s previous credits in the TV world include the J.J. Abrams espionage thriller Alias, mystery-drama Lost and sci-fi drama Fringe, as well as the ABC drama Brothers & Sisters and Marvel series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The reboot’s network is currently unknown, given that the original series ran on The WB and UPN, both of which are now defunct, and that the rights to the franchise are owned by 20th Century Fox.

A follow-up to the Whedon-penned Buffy the Vampire Slayer feature film, the Buffy TV series ran from 1997 to 2003 for seven seasons. The series starred Sarah Michelle Gellar in the title role alongside Alyson Hannigan, Nicholas Brendon, Charisma Carpenter, Anthony Stewart Head, David Boreanaz, Seth Green, James Marsters, Emma Caulfield, Michelle Trachtenberg, Amber Benson, and Kristine Sutherland. Since its conclusion, the series has continued in comic book form, with some of the characters continuing their journey in the Angel spin-off series. There was previously a feature film reboot of the property in development at Warner Bros., but it failed to materialize.

Last edited by comic fan; 07-26-2018 at 01:12 PM
Old 08-06-2018, 04:28 AM
Addicted Fan

More season 12 art from Georges Jeanty for the next issue.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmHqJNVn...-by=kabalounge

kabaloungeFray just realized she’s in over her head in the next installment of Buffy Season 12.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:15 PM
Addicted Fan

Preview Pages For Buffy S12 # 3.

The Comic Slayer

Old 08-11-2018, 03:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the news.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 08-15-2018, 03:37 PM
Addicted Fan

FOX pulled Buffy from Dark Horse Confirmed.

https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-fox-pu...om-dark-horse/

EXCLUSIVE: Fox Has Pulled the Buffy License From Dark Horse

Joss Whedon's Buffy The Vampire Slayer will end its 20-year run at Dark Horse Comics with the current Season 12.

by Kiel Phegley in CBR Exclusives

For a while, fans of Joss Whedon’s long-running Buffy The Vampire Slayer franchise have known that the current Season 12 arc of the canonical comic will be the last, ending the story with September’s issue #4. But Whedon himself confirmed for CBR that the move will lead to the end of the property’s time at Dark Horse all together.

In an interview just posted on CBR, the writer noted “Fox is taking the Buffy license and the Firefly license back.”

The move ends a 20-year relationship between the property and the publisher, which stretches back to a tie-in comic when the original Buffy TV series was still on the air. Early collaborative efforts between Whedon and Dark Horse included an in-canon adaptation of his original Buffy movie script and the futuristic Fray series. However, for the past decade the action has been focused on the various follow ups to the show, starting with 2007’s best-selling Season 8.

For the immediate future, comics will remain available though Dark Horse, including September’s recently announced Buffy Season 10 Library Edition Volume 3 hardcover collection. But after Season 12 wraps, there will be no more new stories starring the characters.

“We made sure that the journey wasn’t continuing. We wanted to give the Dark Horse era some closure,” Whedon told CBR. “I heard about all of this after the fact. It’s like Disney taking Star Wars over to Marvel. All of a sudden, we realize this is happening. So I’m writing this from a position that will leave everybody in a position where you feel some closure.”

This is not the first time the rights to a Buffy or Whedon-related comic have shifted from one publisher to another. IDW published comics based on spinoff series Angel for a number of years before the character arrived at Dark Horse, and BOOM! Studios has new Firefly comics in the works. However, the immediate plans for Buffy post-Dark Horse have yet to be announced.

20th Century Fox Television has been working on a Buffy reboot with Whedon set to feature a black actress in the title role. Whether future comics will focus on this version or continue with the Sarah Michelle-Gellar incarnation remains to be seen.

And here's the full Joss interview

https://www.cbr.com/buffy-the-vampir...don-interview/.

INTERVIEW: Joss Whedon Teases Buffy’s Surprising End & Dr. Horrible’s Return

The creator of Buffy and Dr. Horrible reflects on where both franchises are headed in comics and beyond

by Kiel Phegley in CBR Exclusives

Joss Whedon is in a transitional period.

The A-list screenwriter, film director and comics scribe may be at work on a new TV series for HBO, but in the comics world, he’s taking on the dual task of wrapping one long-running series (perhaps for good) and diving back in to another for a one-shot. The former is Buffy The Vampire Slayer, which sees the fourth and final issue of its last comic season arrive in September, and the latter is Dr. Horrible, the Internet sensation on its way back to comics with art from José Maria Beroy and Sara Soler.

CBR spoke with Whedon during Comic-Con International, and the writer shared the surprising behind the scenes moves that led to both his most recent comics projects, all the while answering the question of whether we’ll ever see more Dr. Horrible on screen or if the last Buffy season is truly “the end.”

CBR: Dark Horse announced a new Dr. Horrible comic at the show. I feel like that’s a piece of the overall Whedon canon people have been waiting for more of. Has it been a project where you’ve said “I will get back to that one day” or more “Suddenly I have an idea to go back to that”?

Joss Whedon: It was more “I know I’ll get back to it” because we talk about it all the time. I saw Neil [Patrick Harris] when he was doing Hedwig [And The Angry Inch], and after the performance I went backstage and said “You were amazing!” and he said, “When are you going to do a sequel?!” [Laughter] And then Jed and Marissa have been working on the past few seasons of S.H.I.E.L.D., and so it’s hard to figure it out.

In the meantime, we want to do something more with Dark Horse right now – especially because Fox is taking the Buffy license and the Firefly license back. And Dark Horse has shepherded these licenses for decades now. But it’s like, “Well, they don’t own Dr. Horrible!” That’s mine. So I suggested that we could do a one-shot and then realized that no one else was going to write that. I sat down and got started and felt, “Oh, right. I love this.” I hadn’t revisited it in years, and to write a story that’s just severely dumb as those guys can be, it was pure joy. I just fell right back into the rhythm so easily. I’ve been seeing pages now, and I’m so excited.

I know each medium has its own strengths, but is it difficult with this one because you just can’t have music and singing in a comic book?

The music thing is one where I’ve always wanted to do a comic that links to a site where you can download a song we recorded. But they were like, “Joss, you can’t get through a script, so…” But we do still have that element of anything can happen. We can break the fourth wall. You still want more, but I do really like how the franchise lends itself, particularly in comic books, to things like the Brian Michael Bendis 47-balloon panel. And obviously, budget is not considered an issue. So you want all the elements, and at some point you may get all the elements. But for now, I hear Nathan, and I hear Neil. It’s very easy to get those people back in my head. I don’t really miss the things I don’t have while I’m enjoying the things that I do have.

Looking at Buffy, aside from the movements made by the corporations holding the strings, you’ve announced this series as the last “season.” The finale of the TV series had a thematic ending, but it left the door open to new areas of story. Are you looking at the last comic differently?

Similar to the show, we’re not going to close it all off in the sense of “Everybody’s dead!” Though we did think about doing that. [Laughter] But when I sat with Chris Gage, it was with the intent that after everything we’ve been through we wanted to have something to say that mirrors and rounds off where we started this comic [run]. And then they said, “You have four issues,” and it was like “Ohhhh. That’s all the time we have.”

So we dealt with a lot of things in small panels, and I don’t know if I fit it all in, but it was very important to try. We made sure that the journey wasn’t continuing. We wanted to give the Dark Horse era some closure. What they’ve done over the years with Scott Allie and Sierra Hahn, and everyone there has put their souls into this. The artists like Georges [Jeanty] and everyone were such a perfect match. It’s been a great combination, so it couldn’t just end.

A running thread through the comics has been the idea that Buffy was in high school and into young adulthood in the show, this story has been all about the transition from young adult to adult adult. Between the baby and the maturation of a lot of relationships, did you want to leave addressing whether Buffy’s fully grown up?

Yeah, that is the question. That’s the eternal question with her. Where does she fit into this world? Is she ever going to follow a pattern as most people do, or is she going to live a life that doesn’t really pan out for someone into middle age? We’re not looking to answer the question, but we are looking to say “Here’s where she is now.” It will be the conclusion she’s come to that can give her some kind of understanding to say “I know who I am now.”

The 20s is a hard time to write about. I feel like Friends is actually underrated for its mythologizing of being in your 20s. How I Met Your Mother is the same kind of thing. There’s a story to be told about who don’t know what the **** they’re doing yet. Most of our stories are about the adolescent right of passage into adulthood, or they’re, “Oh, ****. I’m an adult, and I’ve got all these problems.” To crack the middle is really interesting. That’s what we were looking at in all of this. It was, “Let’s see if I can go to college for as long as Peter Parker did.”

The last piece of the series is the Fray piece of it. That’s an original element from Dark Horse that’s colliding back with the here and now. Did you want to address that because as a pure comics thing, it can maybe be a bit more dangerous in terms of a finish?

Yeah. It’s nice to be able to say that I can actually mess with that. The whole question that arose from my ignorance was “Are we creating the Fray future, or are we stopping it from happening?” And honestly, Fray was my first comic, and I wrote it because I thought “I kind of have to do a slayer comic, don’t I?” I didn’t really know that I could do whatever I wanted to. [Laughs] But I set it 300 years in the future, thinking, “That can’t possibly affect the show!” And then, I’m an idiot, so it took me a while to realize that there’s something we can do with this dystopian thing hanging out there. What can we do with that? It was a nice place to say “Nobody’s safe.”

I don’t know what’s going to happen with [Fray], actually. I mean, legally. I heard about all of this after the fact. It’s like Disney taking Star Wars over to Marvel. All the sudden we realize this is happening. So I’m writing this from a position that will leave everybody in a position where you feel some closure, but it’s definitely not, “Oh, I now I wont’ ever want to read about them again.”

https://www.newsarama.com/41384-buff...ss-whedon.html

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Leaving DARK HORSE According to JOSS WHEDON

By Chris Arrant, Editor August 15, 2018

20th Century Fox is taking the Buffy the Vampire Slayer license away from Dark Horse Comics according to creator/chief writer Joss Whedon. The writer revealed that decision was partially the impetus for new Dr. Horrible comics at the publisher - to mitigate that upcoming absence.

"...We want to do something more with Dark Horse right now - especially because Fox is taking the Buffy license and the Firefly license back," Whedon told CBR. "And Dark Horse has shepherded these licenses for decades now."

Whedon did not disclose how or when Dark Horse's various Buffy the Vampire Slayers would wrap up. The current Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 12: The Reckoning limited series is scheduled to end September 19, and no new Buffy comic books are solicited for October 2018 from Dark Horse.

Dark Horse has been publishing Buffy the Vampire Slayer-based comics for 20 years going back to their original acquisition of the license in 1998.

This all comes as Whedon and Fox are developing a new revamped Buffy the Vampier Slayer television series, and in a big picture sense the deal for the Walt Disney Company to acquire much of Fox's media assets - which would seemingly include Buffy - is approved.

Whedon's Firefly, also owned by Fox, moved from Dark Horse to BOOM! Studios earlier this year; Fox owns a minority stake in BOOM!.

Last edited by comic fan; 08-15-2018 at 04:04 PM
Old 08-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Addicted Fan

First review of this week's Buffy S12 # 3.Some light spoilers

Comic Book Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Reckoning #3, Season 12

Comic Book Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Reckoning #3, Season 12

Phillip Pratt August 16, 2018

“We demons were here first, Missy… and we’ll be here last.”

Fans that are accustomed to the storytelling stylings of Joss Whedon on TV will feel right at home with the Dark Horse comic, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Reckoning #3, Season 12. While not an exact replica of what one would expect from the Scoobies on the small screen, it’s darn close. With writing aid supplied by Buffy universe-vet, Christos Gage, Joss successfully mixes elements of horror, action, and comedy so well that the happenings in the foreground will oft distract the reader from the gravity and utter finality of the moment (keep an eye on the characters in the background).

The issue starts off in a very BtVS-way. Buffy and friends saying their final goodbyes to one another before they set off on another life and death situation/war with sharp, pointy objects in hand. Again, if you grew up with the show, this isn’t anything new. However, writers Whedon and Gage succeed in making it not come off as cliché, but have each conversation contain real levity. Each character accepts that they may not come out of the coming battle alive. Even those that haven’t been following each added comic book “season” after the television show wrapped with its 7th back in 03’ (this is the 12th), the characters feel familiar enough so that you’re not completely lost. If for someone reason you still are, that’s what wikis are for, people.

The story in of itself is exactly what a penultimate or season finale of Buffy should be. It’s funny, tragic, and sometimes horrifying as we watch our heroes, fight, quip, and sometimes die in gruesome fashion. Readers just jumping on with issue #3 will be presented with some new faces, but also be treated to many familiar ones as well. Including everyone’s favorite juice-cup sipping, once-upon-a-time-nemesis, Andrew Wells.

“But why? I’m way less useless in a fight than I used to be!”

Pencil work is handled by Georges Jeanty and I must admit, for me, it may be the books lower point. It’s not bad, please understand, but there are some trouble spots, mostly with the happenings in the background. For the most part, it’s fine, even if some faces/characters are immediately recognizable. I noticed Buffy looks more like Buffy in the latter half of the book than in the beginning pages, whereas Faith, Xander (he’s got an eye-patch, so that’s kind of easy), Angel (the forehead), and Spike (despite his likeness to Billy Idol) are all immediately, and consistently, identifiable throughout.

The Verdict

Dark Horse’s latest offering of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is basically everything you’d expect out of the franchise. Perhaps to its detriment. It can be a lot of the same. But if you’re a 90’s kid (like Moi), then this is probably your bread and butter. Visuals are adequate (generally), and all the characters speak in their usual, if not sometimes tone-deaf, manners. Fans of the franchise will most likely jive with all BtVS: The Reckoning’s storyline, where those not used to the rhythm of Whedon’s universe, may find it off-putting. But what kind of dweeb doesn’t like the Slayer?

PROS
◾Pacing is a brisk as the show ever was
◾Characterizations are spot-on
◾Lots of cozy nostalgia

CONS
◾Art was a bit inconsistent, especially in the backgrounds
◾Plot felt familiar

Overall Score

I ger the vibe that there is atleast one death if not more in this issue from the review.

ETA

Tweets between Editors Note Comics and Christos Gage

https://twitter.com/EdsNoteComics/st...97924575260672

Editor's Note Comics‏ @EdsNoteComics · 32m32 minutes ago

@Christosgage I read Buffy. Without spoilers, I loved it. Really well paced issue and the stakes felt huge on every page. Love the small beats some characters got. Thrilled to see the page 1 character in the mix. This whole season feels like the way thing should end.

Follow Follow @EdsNoteComics

@Christosgage but completely way too selfish question, were there a few lines in there I may have been partially responsible for inspiring? Page 5 if i want to be super specific. (And apologies since this overly self aggrandizing, but I had to ask)

Christos Gage‏ @Christosgage · 24m24 minutes ago
Replying to @EdsNoteComics

Without being sure what specifically you’re referring to, I think the dialogue is stuff we wanted to address in general. But maybe I’m misunderstanding what you mean?

It could have totally been planned ahead of time. Just something I was pushing for a while ago when you were still scripting and was happy to see it in the story.

Hurray for vague tweets without spoilers

Maybr a Gunn and Connor mention?

Last edited by comic fan; 08-20-2018 at 11:18 AM
Old 08-27-2018, 05:01 AM
Addicted Fan

Christos Gage answers some questions about issue 3 on twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Christosgage

D Halphen
D Halphen
@SpiritDarko

@Christosgage big fans question : was Harth already a part of the very first reckoning which did create his universe ?

12:46 PM - 25 Aug 2018

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @SpiritDarko

Nope. He remembers it because he has Slayer memories.

Juliette Dod Juliette Dod
@juliettedod
Aug 26

Replying to @Christosgage @SpiritDarko

But..but.. pic.twitter.com/gNwzCIXc5T

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @juliettedod @SpiritDarko

Oh right. Haha! It’s been a while since I wrote it. Ok Harth WAS there, but he went to hell with the others.

7:47 AM - 26 Aug 2018

D Halphen D Halphen
@SpiritDarko
20h

Replying to @DMN1984 @Christosgage @juliettedod

Confused here. So it’s a loop. Not a « Reckoning happened without Harth, created Fray’s future and Harth as a vampire and Harth is back to get involved in the new reckoning » so what change ? pic.twitter.com/viEgaWpYDX

View conversation ·

Diana
Diana
@DMN1984 Replying to @SpiritDarko @Christosgage @juliettedod

Well I would assumed what changed is now Harth has all of the Slayer Powers. But my problem is, as Doc would say, he has now altered the timeline. How does he know he hasn’t altered so much that he was never born or he never became a vampire in the future?

8:47 AM - 26 Aug 2018
·
Christos Gage
Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @DMN1984 @SpiritDarko @juliettedod

Yes. What changed is that this time he took the massed Slayer powers from Buffy successfully. That is the difference. He DOESN'T know if he changed the timeline, but he's now outside of it, a temporal anomaly, so he doesn't care.

8:50 AM - 26 Aug 2018

D Halphen D Halphen
@SpiritDarko
20h

Replying to @Christosgage @DMN1984 @juliettedod

Ok that’s interesting. Thank you for taking some time to give us some piece of information. Just wondering how he succeeded this time when (why) he didn’t the first time. What change ? (btw all the character scenes are amazingly fun and heartbreaking)

View conversation ·

Christos Gage
Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @SpiritDarko @DMN1984 @juliettedod

If I remember right what changed is this time Harth got that old school staff the shamans used to empower the first slayer, which he used to steal Buffy’s Uber-Slayer power. If we’d had more room I would have explained that better.

9:07 AM - 26 Aug 2018

gite63 gite63
@gite63
20h

Replying to @Christosgage @DMN1984 and 2 others

Does the repetition of “Harth knows everything that's going to happen” serve a purpose?

View conversation

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @gite63 @DMN1984 and 2 others

Being new reader friendly

gite63 gite63
@gite63
13h

Replying to @Christosgage @DMN1984 and 2 others

May I ask if Giles being aged off-screen was for the sake of new readers? And the Buffy/Willow dialogue repetition (from S11, Buffy/Dawn on the roof) of issue #1, too?

View conversation ·

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @gite63 @DMN1984 and 2 others

Giles being aged off screen was due to lack of space...we only had four issues. And yes, I thought there might be some readers who only picked up this final mini. I have good news for you though, I’m not writing Buffy comics anymore so hopefully you’ll enjoy whatever’s next more.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread