Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Addicted Fan

I have my copy of Angel & Faith # 19.The conclusion of "Death and Consequences."

I really loved this issue and this arc.The resolution of the Eyghon plot was a surprise.I thought it would continue into the final arc but thinking about it,it makes sense to wrap it here so the last arc can deal with Whistler,Pearl & Nash and actually dealing with whether Angel and Faith can and will bring Giles back.

Speaking of which,while I still doubt Giles will actually be really brought back, that made his return through Angel in this issue very poignant for me.And it was very fitting for Giles to have such a big role during the taking down of Eyghon.

I enjoyed the Angel and Spike interaction.Very reminiscent of their interaction on the show and After The Fall including their pissing contest over Buffy.I could really hear DB and JM's voices in those scenes.I think Christos Gage has been good at this with the characters overall.

This issue seemed to be the Angel and Spike issue so I'm really looking forward to next issue which I assume will focus on the Faith and Spike dynamic since Angel is catatonic.

I also liked the resolution to the slayers here to.I do hope we see more of Nadira.And I did think it was a kick ass moment when Faith told her and the other slayers that Angel was off limits to kill and if they try they'll have to go through her.

And the art was great as always from RI.

I really can't wait to see how all this is resolved.

Some tweets from Christos Gage.Also will be doing a Slayalive Q/A for Angel & Faith # 20 next month.

https://twitter.com/Christosgage/sta...45903947542529

Christos Gageþ@Christosgage

Sorry you didn't like Spike's portrayal, @Morphiauk . I was going back to their Angel Season 5 dynamic. Lots of posturing. More Spike in 20.

I'm gonna do a Q&A with @SlayAliveForum after Angel & Faith 20, prepare your Spike questions for that. Some answers in issue 20

Some who didn't like Spike's portrayal in 19 will like 20 better. Others may be even madder. Like Shaft, Spike is a complicated man.

Christos Gage‏@Christosgage

One last thing, issue 19 never says Angelus is a "soul." He's an amalgam of a demon and Angel's worst qualities. A unique persona.

Christos Gage‏@Christosgage

@Morphiauk Angel was no more use than Spike. It was Giles who won the day.

Rebekah Isaacs will also be doing a Q/A next month.

Spoilers Buffyverse Season 9: News Nexus - Page 100

FYI, we're doing a Q&A with Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs for the release of A&F #20. I had thought about doing one for the release of #19 but given their schedules this week (Gage is off to ECCC and Isaacs just got back from a trip and needs to catch up on work), we determined that after #20 would work better for logistic reasons. But also, because some of the questions that fans may have right now will be answered in the next issue, as tweeted by Gage today.
comic fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Addicted Fan

The first review of Willow # 5 is up from Leyki.Spoilerish

Review, “Willow – Wonderland #5″ (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9) | Light_Watcher

I probably won't be able to get my copy tomorrow.Maryland is about to be hit by a big winter storm and at last check they are calling for possible blizzard like condions by tomorrow morning.So it might be a few days befofe I can get to my comic shop.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Master Fan

Thanks comic fan!
visit Buffyverse | icon: ?
Ace Of Hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Addicted Fan

I finally have my copy of Willow:Wonderland # 5 of 5.Maryland ended up getting off light and the snow storm ended up as nothing really.But I did get my copy today.

I'm keeping this short.Overall I liked the isuse and them ini as a whole.I'm still not thrilled Rack's death was retcon although I get the importance for this story and the lesson Willow learned.

As for Willow having her magic restored and being able to share it.I don't think it will stay that easy and I can see how Willow could factor into the end of season 9 for both monthlies even if Willow is only back in Buffy.I think the ramifications with WIllow can impact Angel & Faith especally as the Whistler plot comes to a head.

Again, good mini.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Addicted Fan

Buffyverse S9 June 2013 solicitations and covers

EXCLUSIVE: Dark Horse's June Buffyverse Titles, Fraction in DHP - Comic Book Resources

EXCLUSIVE: Dark Horse's June Buffyverse Titles, Fraction in DHP

Dark Horse has provided CBR with an exclusive look at its Buffyverse titles shipping in June, including the latest issues of "Angel & Faith" and "Dark Horse Presents," featuring a time travel story by Matt Fraction.

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER SEASON 9 #22

Andrew Chambliss (W), Georges Jeanty (A/Variant cover), Dexter Vines (I), Michelle Madsen (C), and Phil Noto (Cover)

On sale June 12
FC, 32 pages
$2.99
Ongoing

Buffy, Xander, and Willow must fight against all odds to get past the mystical council and gain entry to a magical hotspot—the Deeper Well! New allies are born while old enemies bring the heat. Grave dangers await our heroes at the center of the earth!
“It’s just awesome in both script and art.”––Bloody Disgusting

ANGEL & FAITH #23

Christos Gage (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale June 26
FC, 32 pages
$2.99
Ongoing

Preventing Pearl, Nash, and Whistler from releasing their magical virus proves difficult for Angel and Faith. The duo is outmatched! Enter Nadira—could this hate-filled Slayer lend a helpful hand or will she use this opportunity to end Angel for good?
• Showdown with this season’s Big Bads!
“Joss Whedon fans, you need this comic.”—Comic Book Resources

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: WILLOW—WONDERLAND TP
Jeff Parker (W), Christos Gage (W), Brian Ching (P), Jason Gorder (I), Michelle Madsen (C), and David Mack (Cover)

On sale Sept 3
FC, 136 pages
$18.99
TP, 7" x 10"

Armed with Buffy’s broken scythe, Willow has entered another dimension and begun a quest to somehow, someway, against all odds, bring magic back to Earth. She must keep her darkest self at bay while she battles demons—the scaly and horned type as well as her own! Collects the five-issue miniseries.
• Season 9 continues with Willow’s story!
“Brian Ching's attractive artwork has strong transitions and his drawing of Buffyverse characters strikes a great balance between recognizable faces and keeping his own distinctive line intact. Michelle Madsen's colors are also easy on the eye.” ––Comic Book Resources

Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Addicted Fan

First Buffy # 19 review from Leyki.Spoilerish

https://leykimayri.wordpress.com/201...e-team-part-4/

Bullet points from the review.

1)Illyria loses her powers to Severin but is still alive.

2)Dawn is made of mystical energy and now with no seed,that energy that made her body is fading away.

3)Xander blames Buffy for it.For everything they've been through the last several years,not just Twilight(although that to from the sound of it).

4)Simone is performing experiments on fellow slayers to create unkillable vampires(the super strong zompire Buffy recognized was from Simone's group).Severin is helping her.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Addicted Fan

Angel & Faith # 20 preview pages.

Preview: Angel & Faith #20 - Comic Book Resources

EXCL PREVIEW: Spike Guest-Stars in "Angel & Faith" #20

Dark Horse has provided CBR with an exclusive preview of Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs' "Angel & Faith" #20. Spike drops by for a visit on March 27!

Angel is ridiculously close to his goal of resurrecting Giles—when he's suddenly sidetracked, forcing an unlikely partnership between Faith and Spike. Tensions run high as Slayer and vampire hit the mean streets of London . . .

I tihnk Faith & Spike make a bad ass team in the preview.

ETA

I have my copy of Buffy # 19.The conclusion of "Welcome To The Team."

I thought this issue was a strong issue and this was a strong arc overall.Probably one of the stronger ones in Buffy this season.

First of all.The council really didn't prove useful and came off cowardly.Plus Koh still doesn't get what he wants.I'm wondering what type of payoff they'll be on that if any this season.For that matter,Remember all the mystery around Buffy's mysterious neighbor?Nothing ever came of that and early on Scott sure seemed to make it seem like there was something interesting coming there unless that was only supposed to be a red herring for the pregnancy plot.

Anyway.Illyria.It's pretty freaky seeing basically Fred's form walking around in the leather.I'm curious about Spike's reaction when he returns.I find it a bit disconcerting so I can imagine he would too.I have to admit,I can see why the speculation of Spike having his demon burnt out by Severin and being left mortal has increased after this issue in regards to what we see with Illyria.And it does make me wonder if a part of Fred's soul is still there despite Illyria and everyone believing it isn't.I will also admit if that does happen and Spike become mortal via Severin and it's a part of trying to push Buffy and Spike together,I'll be pretty disappointed.I won't lie and say that this isn't my shipper preferences speaking because it is.But that's honestly how I feel..

I also liked Illyria's dynamic with Buffy in this issue.More and more I do wonder how much Joss was planning to write for Illyria this season since he was saving her for himself.Was Joss originally going to write this arc only or the finale or both?

The Billy/Anaheed reveal was given away in the preview pages.I do wonder if there is more to it than Anaheed just watching Buffy's back in secret.Can't wait for Buffy's reaction.

As many guessed,that stronger zompire was part of Simone's crew and Simone's plan has shades of Adam from season 4 IMO.I think Simone's plan is on the lame side and still feel both her and Severin are the weakest big bads Buffy's ever had.They just seem so small potatoes and not terribly interesting.Severin's powers seem a gimmick IMO and I this team up with Simone is so eh.

Whistler over in Angel & Faith runs rings around both and even Pearl and Nash work better as lackeys.I sort of see Whistler as the big bad in A & F and Pearl and Nash as the little bads in the Amy and Warren role for Twilight last season.

The meat of the issue was the Dawn plot and the confrontation between Xander and Buffy.I'm glad Buffy agreed with trying the bot idea even though we knew it wouldn't work.I'm actually thankful it just not worked and didn't make things worse for Dawn.

The key/mystical energy reveal was a long time coming and there was much speculation on that after Buffy S8 # 39 came out.So it's not a surprise but I can sort of by it be a gradual thing instead of Dawn just fading away/dying instantly after the seed was destroyed.Jeez,I remember speculation about Dawn's keyness coming into play as far back as after season 5 so it was about time and the situation as Illyria described for why this is happening works for me.

The Xander/Buffy showdown was intense but was long expected all season and Buffy seeing signs of Xander PTSD was also due.There is much debate about the confrontation.I won't get into any of that.I'll just say that I feel for both of them in this situation.The most important thing now though is to try to work together to save this person they both love so much.And I'm glad that seems to be the indication at the end of the issue with Buffy and Xander departing together even if Xander is angry with Buffy.

I'm going to throw this out there.Does anybody think season 9 will end sort of like season 4,Angel season 4,After the Fall and season 8?Where the main arc ends a episode/issue early and the last issue of the season is a coda(Restless,Home,ATF #17,S8 # 40).After this arc,it feels like to me anyway that issue 25 being a coda issue might be warranted.

So very strong finish to this arc and a strong arc a whole.

Last edited by comic fan; 03-13-2013 at 12:20 PM
Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Addicted Fan

June's Dark Horse Presents also has the Jane Espenson Billy story she and Scott Allie have been teasing.

Dark Horse Comics Solicitations for June, 2013 - Comic Book Resources

DARK HORSE PRESENTS #25

Jane Espenson (W), Matt Fraction (W), Ron Randall (W/A), Frank Barbiere (W), Fred Van Lente (W), Phil Stanford (W), Peter Hogan (W), Dan Jolley (W), Mike Richardson (W), Andrew Vachss (W), Mike Baron (W), Emma T. Capps (W/A), Dominic Reardon (A), Karl Moline (A), Christian Ward (A), Micah Kaneshiro (A), Freddie Williams II (A), Patric Reynolds (A), Phil Winslade (A), Leonard Kirk (A), Steve Rude (A), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale June 19
FC, 80 pages
$7.99
Ongoing

After training with Buffy, Billy the vampire slayer heads back to his hometown to deal with the zompire epidemic!

Last edited by comic fan; 03-14-2013 at 10:34 AM
Old 03-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Addicted Fan

Buffy S9 Wonder Con panel announced.

Saturday | Comic-Con International: San Diego

Saturday, March 30

6:00pm
Buffy Season 9: The Final Arc!

Dark Horse's continuation of Joss Whedon's cult favorite remains one of the most talked-about comics in today's market. As we head toward the Season 9 finale, Dark Horse and WonderCon Anaheim are giving you an exclusive chance to hear all there is to tell about the final arcs of both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel & Faith from the creative teams themselves! Join Dark Horse PR director Jeremy Atkins, along with longtime Buffy writer Jane Espenson, Season 9 writer Andrew Chambliss and artist Georges Jeanty, Angel & Faith writer Christos Gage, and maybe a few surprise guests for what is guaranteed to be one panel you don't wanna miss!

Saturday March 30, 2013 6:00pm - 7:00pm
Room 207
Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Addicted Fan

Scott Allie talks about Buffy reaching a end point in new interview.

http://readcomicbooks.net/home/a-tal...s-scott-allie/

RCB: Another world you’ve ventured into as a writer is the Whedonverse; more specifically the Buffyverse. For those that might not be familiar with it, can you tell us what you’ve been doing with Season 9 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Scott Allie: Yeah, there’s sort of a fad now of doing Season 5, Season 10, etc., of a TV show in comics form, and it started with our Buffy Season 8, I believe. Maybe someone used “Season” in that way before, but when Buffy the TV series ended with Season 7, everyone thought that was the end—but right around that time, Joss and I talked about how to continue it in comics. It took a while, but eventually we did Season 8, which lasted 40 issues, plus side projects. Now we’re wrapping up Season 9, with two parallel series, each running 25 issues. There’s a Buffy series set in San Francisco, and a series called Angel & Faith set in London. I wrote a few issues of Buffy Season 9—I’d previously written most of the climax of Season 8, when Joss got too busy working on The Avengers movie. That was a hell of an experience, turning in scripts and getting notes from Joss. I like to think I learned something from that.

RCB: As you mentioned, this comic series continues what the TV show of the same name started back in the early 2000s. Is there a definitive ending in mind, or is this one of those series that could potentially go on forever?

Scott Allie: It could go on forever, but I don’t think it will. I imagine there’s an end, but I don’t feel like we’re near it yet. Joss will end it when it feels right, and I like to believe I’ll still be working on it with him then. We’ve spoken of it only in the most hypothetical way. Nothing I’m eager to hasten.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:14 AM
Addicted Fan

Buffy # 20 preview pages

Preview: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 9 #20 - Comic Book Resources

EXCL PREVIEW: "Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 9" #20

Courtesy of Dark Horse Comics, CBR presents an exclusive preview of "Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 9" #20 by Andrew Chambliss and guest artist Karl Moline. Xander's secret is revealed April 10.

The loss of the world’s magic has finally hit Buffy. Hard. As friends and family continue to fall, Buffy is helpless. . . and Xander is beyond fed up with helplessness—and Buffy! He is so finally ready to do something about it!

* Special guest artist Karl Moline!

* Season 9 continues!

* Xander’s secret revealed!

ETA

Newsarma has a new Christos Gage interview.It's mostly about his Spider-Man work(tomorrow's Superior Spider-Man Age Of Ultron tie-in issue) and his upcoming co-writing gig with Dan Slott on Superior Spider-Man for a arc.But he talks a bit about Angel & Faith too specifically about writing Spike.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/supe...of-ultron.html

Nrama: Over on Angel & Faith at Dark Horse, things are nearing closer to the end game. With a finite run like this, has the story been fairly meticulously planned from the onset, or has there been any room to improvise a bit as the series ran? And how much did you enjoy getting to write Spike in recent issues? (Season 5 of Angel was a personal favorite in large part due to their interaction.)

Gage: I too loved the Angel/Spike interaction in Angel Season 5, and that was a big part of the appeal of bringing Spike into the book, but I also wanted to play Spike and Faith off against each other. In addition, I felt that it would be an opportunity to show a side of Spike we haven't seen in the main Buffy book, because being around Angel sort of brings out the competitive instinct in both of them.

As for the level of planning, when we had the original summit for Season 9, it was kind of like preparing for a season of a TV show... we planned out the "spine" of the story for the season. But within that framework, there was a pretty good amount of room to improvise and let inspiration strike. I think that sort of gives you the best of both worlds... you have a road map guiding you on where to go, but you still have the freedom to stop and check out interesting sights along the way, if that makes any sense.

ETA 2

Leyki's review of Angel & Faith # 20.Spoiler heavy.

http://leykimayri.wordpress.com/2013...aith/#more-783

Last edited by comic fan; 03-26-2013 at 05:21 PM
Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Master Fan

Poor Xander. And I agree, it looks like Spike and Faith make a great team! lol

Thanks for the news!
visit Buffyverse | icon: ?
Ace Of Hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Addicted Fan

The trying to hook up with Faith and the aunts was part of that and again,I really liked how the dynamic between Faith and Spike played.

Also enjoyed the moment where Angel tells Spike he's not over Buffy either.Thought that was some nice bonding moments in immediate panels leading up to it too even though Angel doesn't say anything until that moment.And played much better IMO than the end of TGIQ which I think was going for the same idea but a comedy route rather than drama here.

I did think the way they resolved Giles soul in Angel was a bit on the pat side.

As for the Angel hooking Spike up with Harmony ending.I think it was just meant to be played for comedy even though that isn't the way it's playing for many.That's not the first time that's happened in the verse.

So I enjoyed the issue and sort of see it as a breather before the final arc.

I am currious about one thing,how Spike gets back to SF for the end of Buffy?Is he in next issue of A & F or part of next issue and gets word of what's going on with Dawn,Illyria and Severin and than heads back or does his exit happen offscreen in between this issue and next with possible exposition about his taking leave?
Old 03-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Addicted Fan

The full Christos Gage Slayalive Q/A for Angel & Faith # 20 is up.

Spoilers *COMPLETE* Q&A with Christos Gage for ANGEL & FAITH #20
Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Addicted Fan

Wonder Con13: Buffy S9 panel reports.Two from twitter and one from Newarama.

https://twitter.com/ChosenPodcast

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast2m
And it is starting!!! #Buffy #WonderCon

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast1m
Christos: Scott has been great to make sure everything lines up.
Andrew: Christos and I have done conference calls. #Buffy

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast49s
Christos is giving a great summary of the Angel and Faith title in this season! #Buffy #WonderCon

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast9s
Christos: You will find out if they succeed in resurrecting Giles before the end of the season. #Buffy #WonderCon

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast18s
Andrew Chambliss: it's hit Buffy in a super personal way since Dawn is "disappearing".

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast27s
Georges Jeanty: an artist should develop a relationship with their writers.

Andrew: Georges looks at the script with a fresh eye, and he can nitpick it at times.

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast43s
Jane: there will be a short story of Billy the Slayer!!! #Buffy #WonderCon there will be adventure/relationship!

Christos: hadn't seen Buffy or Angel before getting the job. #Buffy

Christos: as soon as I started watching the show, I got sucked. I wanted to know all about it! I'm a huge fan. I just watched Firefly.

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast33s
Georges: I was on a list of people that Joss wrote down of who he wanted to draw Buffy. I was only supposed to draw the first four issues.

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast40s
Andrew: would rewatch Buffy after working on Dollhouse because Joss and Tim Minear would talk about it. #Buffy #WonderCon

Andrew: Georges is like the actor. #Buffy #BuffyS9 #WonderCon

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast34s
Christos: when Joss writes the comics, he describes panels like film shots. #Buffy #WonderCon

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast45s
Christos: Rebekah went to London and took tons of pictures.

Christos: joss bring humans versality into everything he does. The characters live and breathe. #Buffy #WonderCon

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast54s
Andrew: joss would always ask the writers "what does this mean?" "What's the reason we're telling this story?"

Georges: #Buffy was always so rich with characters. Even if you don't like Buffy, there is a character you love.

Christos: Giles' aunts grew on him. It has become so much fun writing them. They're self-centered, but they're not bad people. #Buffy

Jane: Oz surprised me. It was fun to write a dry character. #Buffy

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast17s
Georges: the comics were like a love letter to the character of Buffy. Really enjoyed drawing Faith though. #Buffy #WonderCon

Andrew: had fun writing Spike and his bugs. #Buffy #WonderCon

Christos: I loved writing Spike. And I loved the Season 5 dynamic between Angel and Spike. #Buffy

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast24s
Jane: you're going to learn a little bit about the zompires in the Billy story. #Buffy

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast56s
Andrew: the Scoobies will come back together. The deeper well is where the showdown will be. #Buffy #WonderCon

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast16s
Now the Q&A section!!! #Buffy

ChosenPodcast‏@ChosenPodcast1m
Christos: I loved writing Drusilla. #Buffy

Andrew: friends. One word to describe the final arc.

ChosenPodcast‏@ChosenPodcast21s
Georges: Loss. Jane: epic. Christos: you will get what you need, not what you get. #Buffy #WonderCon

No update on the Drusilla miniseries. They still want it to happen.

ChosenPodcast‏@ChosenPodcast28s
Christos: Whistler's origin story was something we had to run by with Joss early. #Buffy #WonderCon

ChosenPodcast‏@ChosenPodcast2m
Georges: while Joss was doing "Avengers", Joss still talked to Georges on the phone about #Buffy comics. #WonderCon

Q: how has the Buffyverse changed the panelists' lives? #Buffy

Christos: writing Season 9, it has changed everything I've written since. It's all ultimately about the people. #Buffy

There is a pic included in this one below.

https://twitter.com/lisatwingomez

Lisa Gomezþ@lisatwingomez2m
And so it begins.... #Buffy #WonderCon

Lisa Gomezþ@lisatwingomez1m
How was it like making the two books work together? Christos: everyone has been good making the books line up. Me and Andrew email a lot.

Andrew: everything from zompire rules to who's showing up on what book

Lisa Gomezþ@lisatwingomez40s
New artwork for the final arc.... Amazing stuff. Spike, Buffy and Dawn on a cover. Also Buffy v. Simone.

ChosenPodcastþ@ChosenPodcast18s
Andrew Chambliss: it's hit Buffy in a super personal way since Dawn is "disappearing".

Lisa Gomezþ@lisatwingomez47s
Another amazing cover of Buffy, Willow and Xander!! It feels like the show #Buffy #WonderCon

Everyone agrees that they all help each other with references and to not make mistakes

Everyone agrees that they all

pic.twitter.com/DobicjW231

Jane: there will be a short story of Billy the Slayer!!! #Buffy #WonderCon there will be adventure/relationship!

Lisa Gomezþ@lisatwingomez49s
Christos and Joss sat across a train from one another and Christos admitted he had never seen Buffy or Angel #Buffy #WonderCon

Georges was only supposed to be around for the first arc of Season 8

Georges was only supposed to be around for the first arc of Season 8

Andrew: Georges is the one who is the actor. He's the one giving the character life.

Lisa Gomezþ@lisatwingomez45s
Joss writes the Buffy script like a film script (medium shot, two shot), etc.

What is it about these characters that brought people in and still be compelling?

What is it about these characters that brought people in and still be compelling?

Jane: fans would say I only got through high school because of Buffy.

Lisa Gomezþ@lisatwingomez50s
Jane: this show had a reason to exist. It had a message.

Andrew: joss would ask what does this mean? If you didn't have an answer, your pitch would be dead.

Lisa Gomezþ@lisatwingomez57s
Favorite character to write/draw in the comics? Christos: Giles' great aunts. Jane: Oz. Georges: Faith. Andrew: Spike.

Lisa Gomezþ@lisatwingomez11s
Christos: you will find out if Angel and Faith succeed/fail in resurrecting Giles and there will be big fighting.

Lisa Gomez‏@lisatwingomez2m
Andrew: The Core. The core group of the scoobies. Refers to the locale. Georges said it was the deeper well.

Nikki Faith Fuller‏@Myth_Girl2m
We're gonna learn more about zompires from an unexpected source - @JaneEspenson teases for #Buffy season 9. #whedon #WonderCon

Lisa Gomez‏@lisatwingomez1m
Everyone joked about putting a Cabin in the Woods reference in the Buffy book. Jane said someone should wear a shirt with the unicorn.

ChosenPodcast‏@ChosenPodcast4m
Now the Q&A section!!! #Buffy[

Final arc in 1 word: Georges: Loss. Jane: epic. Christos: you will get what you need, not what you get. #Buffy #WonderCon

Lisa Gomez‏@lisatwingomez55s
Christos: [season 10] going forward is whatever the story dictates.

Lisa Gomez‏@lisatwingomez25s
Whistlers origin story and the end of Season 9 was something Joss had in mind from the start

Georges: Joss was driving to The Avengers set and and I had a mundane thing to ask and I heard him say "What the hell was that? That's not

"What I wanted? And I said he could go but Joss asked me "it's okay, do you still have a question? [about the Buffy book]."

Lisa Gomez‏@lisatwingomez2m
Joss' concern about the Buffy comic even while he's on the way to the Avengers set is amazing #Buffy #WonderCon

Q: how has the Buffyverse changed the panelists' lives? #Buffy

Christos: writing Season 9, it has changed everything I've written since. It's all ultimately about the people. #Buffy

Lisa Gomez‏@lisatwingomez55s
There will be a Serenity comic book later this year

Hardest story/arc to write in Season 9. Christos: the first one. Andrew: you just stole my answer.

Lisa Gomez‏@lisatwingomez46s
Andrew: Buffy has such a history and coming into that, with Joss writing issue 1, issue 2 was really intimidating.

End of panel!

And all the panelists were making Whedon jokes the whole time. End of the panel!!! #Buffy #WonderCon

Newsarama.com : WonderCon: BUFFY Season 9 Panel - Live!

WonderCon: BUFFY Season 9 Panel - Live!

By Albert Ching, Newsarama Staff Writer
posted: 30 March 2013

Season 9 is ending in the near future for both Dark Horse's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel and Faith comics, but there are still some miles left to go, including a stop at WonderCon in Anaheim on Saturday evening.

We'll be there live in attendance for the panel scheduled to start at 6 p.m. Pacific time, and you can follow along with our coverage in real-time below:

Season 9 is ending in the near future for both Dark Horse's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel and Faith comics, but there are still some miles left to go, including a stop at WonderCon in Anaheim on Saturday evening.

Hello! Joining things in progress a bit. On the panel: Angel and Faith writer Christos Gage, Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 writer Andrew Chambliss, artist Georges Jeanty and Buffy TV show writer Jane Espenson. Dark Horse marketing's Jeremy Atkins moderates.

Atkins asks the panel (sans Espenson) about entering the world of Buffy through the comics. Gage says he had never watched an episode of the show previously, and was a fan of Whedon's work through Astonishing X-Men.

Upon starting the shows, Gage says he was "immediately sucked in," as he was when he first discovered X-Men comics.

Jeanty says he also wasn't a fan prior to working on the property, but he's definitely a fan now.

Chambliss, who had previously worked with Joss Whedon, says he was a fan, and called writing Buffy Season 9 an "awesome opportunity."

"It took me a long time to feel any amount of competency in writing comics," Espenson says of the difference between writing for comics and TV. "[Comics are] much, much harder."

Espenson says that in writing comics based on TV shows, she wants to maintain the sense that there was once a flesh and blood actor playing the role.

"With comics, I always try to remember that it is a visual medium, so what is the most interesting locale for this?" Gage says. "I do a lot of Angel and Faith talking on rooftops, because it's cool, and [series artist Rebekah Isaacs] went to London and took a lot of photos."

Atkins asks the panel what it is about the characters that have kept them relevant over the years. Gage says he thinks it's the "universality of the character," no matter what type of situation or setting they might be in.

Espenson says that beyond female fans, she's heard from many male viewers, who discovered Buffy and also "tapped into [the] metaphor."

Jeanty says he runs into people who say they don't even like Buffy, but like the show, because everyone can find something they like about one of the franchise's characters. "I think if it was just Buffy for seven years, we wouldn't be talking about it this long."

Atkins asks the panel who their favorite characters have been to write. Gage says it always depends on who he's writing at a given time, but he's enjoyed Giles' great aunts, who were created for the planned "Ripper" series. "If I screwed up, then I'm introducing a new Joss Whedon character and screwing up from the get-go. I've had a lot of fun writing them."

Espenson says she had a "surprising amount of fun writing Oz." Jeanty says he "really had an affinity for Buffy," but once Faith came into play, he really enjoyed illustrating her.

Chambliss says he had a lot of fun writing Spike, and Nikki Wood.

Teases for the finales of Season 9? Gage says that it'll be revealed if Angel and Faith will ultimately be successful in resurrecting Giles. Espenson says that readers will learn something about zompires, and from an unexpected source. Chambliss says the final arc of Buffy Season 9 is called "The Core," which (partly) refers to the core of the Scooby Gang reuniting.

Audience Q&A time.

No update at this point on the planned Drusilla miniseries, due to Juliet Landau's busy schedule.

A fan asks the panel to describe the final arc of Season 9 in one word. Chambliss: "Friends." Jeanty: "Loss." Espeson: "Epic. I think it gives you a sense of the scope of it." Gage: "I can't do it in one word, but the title of the final arc is 'What You Want, Not What You Need.'"

Jeanty says that Whedon is very clear about keeping the Buffy and Firefly worlds separate, and that he drew a variant cover in Season 8 with Buffy wearing a shirt with the Blue Sun logo from Firefly, and Whedon said, "That's cute — but don't do it again."

Chambliss tells a fan that Season 9 started with a summit at Whedon's house, and that the writer/director "has had a pretty big hand in all of this." Gage adds that originally he wrote Giles' father as more like Wesley's father, and Whedon advised in going in a different direction.

Jeanty tells the crowd that Whedon took a call from him as he was driving to the Avengers set, and had a negative reaction to something that he encountered there, but still kept on the call. "I'm sure there was this million dollar thing he had to take care of," but he made himself available to talk to the artist about Buffy.

Chance of an animated Season 8 or 9? Jeanty points out that there is the Season 8 motion comic, "Which I thought was pretty good, but I just wished that they would ask me, because there were so many little things in the artwork" that he would have liked the chance to alter.

How has the Buffyverse affected the panel? "I think that it's affected everything else I've written since seeing it," Gage says. Espenson says that she's also been affected significantly, that ever since her experience she asks, "Why are we telling this story?" and that, further, Whedon gave her job security and a much higher profile in TV writing.

Jeanty: "Buffy has allowed me to travel. I've gone to London, to Australia, New Zealand — all of these cool places that I would have never gone if not for Buffy." (Jeanty says he's also taken a "wealth of emotion from the experience.)

Chambliss says there are things that he didn't even know he learned from his experience of working with Whedon. "It really gave me a career, and I wouldn't be writing comics if not for it."

Atkins says there's nothing on the calendar right now for Dollhouse, but he doesn't think Dark Horse is done with the characters. Something Serenity-related is coming later this year.

What was the hardest story to write or draw? "For me it was the first one," Gage says, because he was effectively the "new guy" in the Buffyverse.

Chambliss says the first arc was also the hardest for him. Jeanty answers, saying that the Espenson-written arc featuring Oz was tricky for him, due to the number of characters (and thus photo reference) involved.

That's it. Thanks for reading! More live coverage from WonderCon tomorrow.
Reply   Post New Thread