Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Addicted Fan

Victor Gischler Angel & Faith interview.

PREVIEWSworld - Victor Vents On Angel and Faith Season 10 #1

Victor Vents On Angel and Faith Season 10 #1

by Vince Brusio

Victor Gischler has his wife to thank for one of his latest blessings. Since his better half is a huge Buffyverse fan, he was biased towards characters in the Whedonverse. He’s climb mountains to have some fun with them. Then came a knock at the door of opportunity. And now Victor Gischler is directing a season of a TV show…in a comic book. Get ready for Angel & Faith Season 10 #1 (FEB140068) due in stores April 2nd!

PREVIEWSworld: Victor, it’s quite a commitment to take on a new series labeled as “Season 10.” No pressure, right? You’re just in the Producer’s chair, that’s all. Who cares what the network thinks. But in all seriousness, what happened in the life of Victor Gischler that made you think, “Gee, I think I’ll sit down and bang out a season of a TV show that’s going to be in a comic series.” How did you get to that point? Had you already wrapped up Clown Fatale?

Victor Gischler: There was some overlap with Clown Fatale time-wise, although not mentally. I mean they are way different books. There was a bit of schedule conflict at first but we're cool now. As you point out — whoa! I'm signed up for a whole season! I've got other projects going on the side, but A&F is definitely the priority. The fact is, I didn't have to think twice when they offered me 5 issues of Spike. I'm a huge Buffyverse fan (thanks to my wife) and when the idea was floated I could spend an entire season with more Whedon characters ... well ... was I gonna say no? No! So, yeah, a bit intimidating, but I am so so so so so fortunate.

PREVIEWSworld: So let me get this straight: Angel’s in London, and Faith is helping Buffy kill zombies. Correct? So how do they stay in touch? Do they just casually text one another to say, like, “Hey, what r u doing?” “Unravelling magic. What r u doing?” “Killing zombies.” “Cool.” Without giving us spoilers, can you give us a clue as to how things break down? In the PREVIEWS catalog description it sounds like the two are on opposite ends of the earth.

Victor Gischler: Well, the thing is they DON'T really stay in touch. I mean, sometimes people need a little room to grow and just get to know themselves, right? Faith especially has matured and needs a little room to breathe. She has to get out there and rediscover what it means to be Faith, and that means a bit of distance from Angel. At least for now.

hey, it's a big world and there's plenty going on to keep them both occupied.

PREVIEWSworld: Joss Whedon is on board as Executive Producer for this series. Can you tell us what it’s like to work with Joss? Is it the first time you two have worked together before? How did the back-and-forth go between you both when it came to hammering out plotting? Who wanted to kill who first? Or am I completely off the mark, because the two of you are Facebook friends?

Victor Gischler: Well, Joss is a busy guy and his time is valuable, so I'm not going to try to convince people we're on the phone twice a day picking out Faith's wardrobe. But I attended an amazing creative summit with Scott Allie and Joss and the other writers, and I'm still blown away when I think about it. Just such a valuable creative time. Scott is the one who is mostly in contact with Joss and that filters down to me in the best possible way. The bottom line is that we have a dedicated team of people who genuinely care about these characters and stories, and that's something special.

PREVIEWSworld: Since I mentioned Facebook friends earlier, are you more of a Facebook guy or a Twitter guy? Has social media helped you as a writer in that you’re able to be exposed to new input you would never have discovered before? Does social media help you on the job, or distract you from it?

Victor Gischler: Some days A ... some days B. I suppose I'd say Twitter (@VictorGischler) because I tend to say goofy, useless things that fit within the 140 characters parameters. Social Media is an enormous distraction. At the same time, it allows me to connect with readers and like-minded creative types, and since writing can be kind of a lonely profession this is pretty cool. I guess on the whole I'd say it's a positive ... but it's a close call some days.

PREVIEWSworld: So if you analyzed the long history of Angel/Faith moments on TV and had to come up with a quick list of “Best Moments,” what would that list look like, and how do you justify it? What stands out for you as history worth noting if you had to point out what makes these characters so appealing?

Victor Gischler: I think some of the best moments have happened in the comics for the simple reason that the characters have had a chance to progress. On the other hand, we'd be nowhere fast without the TV episodes, right? I remember a knock-down drag-out totally kick ass fight between Faith and Buffy that will live in my memory forever. Just so much RAW stuff to pull from during those seasons. And to turn the question around a bit ... what is the moment I WISH I'd seen ... ? Well, since one of my fave episodes is "Once More With Feeling" I always wonder what Angel's musical number would have been like if he were still around. Or if Faith could have been in that episode. Well ... a guy can dream.

Check out these past Angel & Faith comics and trade paperbacks that are available to order from your local comic shop!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:49 AM
Addicted Fan

Sounds like Xander and Spike are going to be roomates in season 10.There was a contest to determine which cover RI will use for issue 7 playing up Xander and Spike as the Odd Couple.The contest for the cover was to determine which was Oscar and which was Felix.

Felix Xander cover sketch

https://twitter.com/DarkHorseComics/...55194160857088

Felix Spike cover sketch.

https://twitter.com/DarkHorseComics/...55346930020352

Felix Xander won.

https://twitter.com/DarkHorseComics

Dark Horse Comics ‏@DarkHorseComics · 12h
The results are in! For the #BuffySeason10 issue 7 poll, #FelixIsXander has won it! @rebekahisaacs @NicholasBrendon @Christosgage
Old 02-15-2014, 07:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the news!
I love it that Spike and Xander are going to be roommates so funny those two
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 02-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Addicted Fan

Buffyfest: You Picked the Cover to 'Buffy' #7 - Co-written by Nicholas Brendon!

Saturday, February 15, 2014

You Picked the Cover to 'Buffy' #7 - Co-written by Nicholas Brendon!

So Dark Horse Comics is gearing up for Buffy Season 10 and yesterday they ran a contest. They basically let readers pick the cover sketch for upcoming #7 issue, which is co-written by Xander himself: Nicholas Brendon!

In a nutshell, they wanted to do an Odd Couple homage, but couldn't decide if Spike was more like Felix Unger, or if Xander was...so artist Rebekah Issacs sketched it both ways and they let the readers choose via twitter. Fun! Check out the sketches below and scroll down for the winner...

FELIX is XANDER!! (Sketch on the right).

I would've gone the other way but I'm assuming this outcome is a result of that one time Spike was living in Xander's basement. Ha!

Buffyfest Scott Allie interview about Buffy Season 10.

Buffyfest: Exclusive Mini-Interview with Dark Horse's Scott Allie.

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Exclusive Mini-Interview with Dark Horse's Scott Allie.

Buffyfest: Dark Horse's Twitter cover contest was for Buffy issue #7. We previously thought Nicholas Brendon was writing issues 3-5. Has that changed?

Scott Allie: I think there was one tweet with an error in it, calling #7 his first issue, but yes, Nicky is co-writing #3-5, and then he's also co-writing #7. Christos [Gage] has the season outlined fairly tightly, and so we've looked over the whole season with Nicky to look at stories that made sense for him to hop into, depending on his schedule.

Buffyfest: Thanks for clearing that up. So The Odd Couple hmm? We assume that Spike and Xander are going to be roommates once again. Can you give us any info as to how in the hell THAT happened?

SA: There was a point in the Season 10 summit when Joss broke into a rendition of the Friends theme song … There may have been dancing, it was a long day. One of the challenges with the Buffy title is keeping the core characters closely enough together for the interaction and drama we want, that we think we need to do the series justice. So there's a lot of cohabitating going on.

Buffyfest: Got it. So considering all this, should we be VERY worried about Xander & Dawn?

SA: What …? Would Joss ever screw up a relationship between two of his favorite characters? Pshaw, Tara, come to your senses.

Buffyfest: Spike & Xander (Spander!) haven't spent a lot of time together since season 4, back when Spike didn't even have a soul. Assuming they're having any kind of relationship at all in Season 10, how will it differ from back then?

SA: Both James and Nicky have said they love the interplay between the two characters, and I think Joss and Jane Espenson said the same thing. Look back at the end of Season 9, when Xander didn't want to leave Dawn alone in San Francisco, but had to go to the Deeper Well, for reasons good and bad … Spike was there for her. Look back at what Spike did in his scenes in those last few issues. I loved what Andrew did there, and we all agreed that their relationship would not be the same after that. I think the thing we all liked about Xander and Spike in Season 4 is the sort of thing Christos does really well, so I'm excited about it.

Buffyfest: Fans seem to be very happy with the notion of both more Xander and more Spike this season. Is it safe to say at this point that Spike will be a permanent fixture in the Buffy title for the duration of S.10?

SA: Yeah. In Season 9, the plan was always to keep Xander in the background, as his anger problem simmered, building to the reveal about what he did in the Sunnydale crater in Season 8. Xander's relatively minor role in Season 9 was intentional. Spike's wasn't—we thought he was going to have a bigger role, but as things developed organically, we found he didn't have the appropriate things to do, he didn't have the role we thought he was going to. Some readers will think that means bad planning on our parts. Maybe. But you've gotta let the story make some decisions on its own, and we didn't want to shoehorn Spike's role into a story that we felt was gaining its own momentum, but we also didn't want him hanging around not doing significant things. It's okay to have Andrew Wells hanging around for comic relief, it's okay to have Kennedy popping up just to irritate people, but Spike ain't an ornament.

However, there are very pivotal moments built into Season 10 that are unlikely to change, which in my mind guarantee great roles for both Xander and Spike this season. It's also highly unlikely that there'll be any sidebar miniseries to Season 10. So far each Season of the comics has been distinctly different in structure, in that way. Forty issues plus one shots, twenty-five issues times two plus miniseries, and now thirty issues times two. We like the variety, so Season 11 will probably be different yet again …

And there you have it! Thanks to Scott Allie, as always.

Buffy Season 10 #1 will be in stores March 19th.

1)So NB is co-wriing issues 3-5 and # 7

2)Sounds like Spike being there for Dawn changes the relationship between Xander and Spike for the better.

3)Will be no miniseries(atleast at this point) for season 10

Season 8 was 40 issues plus One-Shots

Season 9 was two 25 issue series with two miniseries.

Season 10 is two 30 issue series with no miniseries.

4)Seems to confirm there will be a season 11.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:06 PM
Addicted Fan

Dark Horse May 2014 Solicitations.

"Axe Cop," "Darth Maul" & More in Dark Horse's May 2014 Solicitations - Comic Book Resources

VARIANT COVER BY CHRIS SAMNEE!

Angel & Faith Season 10 #2

Victor Gischler (W), Will Conrad (A), Michelle Madsen (C), Scott Fischer (Cover), and Chris Samnee (Variant cover)

On sale May 7
FC, 32 pages
$3.50
Ongoing

As Faith awkwardly settles into her new job at Kennedy's bodyguards-for-hire company, Angel is finding that he knows less than everyone about what is going on in London's magic town. Trying to get to the bottom of a fiendish group of scheming pixies, Angel travels further down a really wrong road .
. .
• Will Conrad (Serenity) returns to the Whedonverse!
• Executive produced by Joss Whedon!

The return of Dracula!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #3

Christos Gage (W), Nicholas Brendon (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale May 21
FC, 32 pages
$3.50
Ongoing

Actor Nicholas Brendon joins the creative team as his character Xander acquires help from his old friend—um, master—Dracula. The new vampires are still a mystery, and unquestionably similar to Drac . . . Meanwhile, Buffy and Willow track down one of those new vampires as a study specimen!

• The team from Angel & Faith takes over Buffy!
• Executive produced by Joss Whedon!

Written by James Marsters!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Spike—Into the Light HC

James Marsters (W), Derlis Santacruz (P), Andy Owens (I), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale July 16
FC, 72 pages
$14.99
HC, 7" x 10"

He played Spike on the show, and now James Marsters writes a poignant but action-packed story of the vampire who chose to have a soul, and now has to deal with his past while being compelled to play the hero.

• Get into Spike's head as only James Marsters can!
• An original graphic novel set in Buffy Season 7!

Old 02-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Addicted Fan

io9 interviews Nicholas Brendon about his Buffy Season 10 work.

Xander explains why he's in charge in the Buffy season 10 comics

Very interesting interview.

There also a new season 10 art page I believe.Posted it below.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Addicted Fan

The inked version of the RI Buffy # 7 cover.

Ow.ly - image uploaded by @DarkHorseComics

Here is a larger version.

Ow.ly - image uploaded by @DarkHorseComics
Old 03-02-2014, 07:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the links.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 03-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Thanks for keeping us all updated

Time for the new thread now

http://www.fanforum.com/f58/angel-co...-6-a-63117492/