Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Master Fan

So After the Fall he's not involved in them? Does he at least oversee what's going on, or does he not care about it being canon anymore?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~♥~My Lonely Angel~♥~ (View Post)
So After the Fall he's not involved in them? Does he at least oversee what's going on, or does he not care about it being canon anymore?
From my understanding,he's not involved.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Master Fan

joss doesn't care about ats or ats fans his only concern is that cordelia is bot brought back

you know what really irritates me so much is not even that bangel are getting back together, i never liked ba as a pairing and i won't pretend that i would be saying oh that's nice bange are finally getting another chance because i would be lying and still feeling cheated, but the thing that really pisses me off is that everything in angels life post Sunnydale is being completely ignored for this arc, the ats fanbase is being disrepected and yes i an offended as a cangel shipper as a fang gang shipper as an angel fan.

Last edited by tootyfnfrooty; 03-11-2010 at 07:38 PM
Old 03-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Passionate Fan

I kinda wish David Greenwalt would get into the Angel comics. Heck if there is one part of the piece besides the holy thou art Joss Whedon its his partner who left after S3. Maybe Greenwalt should come back if Joss doesn't care but only cares about the awful crap that's going on right now, some of the comics from Buffy were good but this whole Bangel jazz come Joss, give me a bloody break.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Addicted Fan

Over-Seasoning Buffy | Antenna

Over-Seasoning Buffy

March 6, 2010
By Avi Santo

SPOILER ALERT: This season on Buffy, The Vampire Slayer fan favorite Oz returns. Unfortunately, so too does fan least-favorite, Riley. Old foes Warren, Amy, Dracula, and Ethan Rayne all make appearances; Harmony’s back as well and she’s starring in her own reality TV show. Buffy meets the Slayer from the future, Fray, while in the present, the Slayer army loses all its powers. Meanwhile, Buffy gains the powers of flight. Dawn and Xander hook up, Buffy explores her sexuality, Willow goes dark again, and finally, Angel turns out to be the Big Bad. Phew… a lot has happened, and the “season” ain’t even close to over yet. If this were actually a weekly series, I’d say it was either the most amazing season ever or that Buffy has finally jumped the shark (although anyone who watched Buffy season 7 on UPN would probably say that already happened).

I am, however, referring to the chain of ongoing narrative events taking place on Buffy: Season 8 in comic book form. Debuting in March 2007 and currently 33 issues in, the Season 8 moniker is, on the one hand, a gimmick intended to convey to readers that as overseen by Joss Whedon, the comic book is officially in continuity with the TV series, picking up where season 7 ended. On the other hand, labeling this series as somehow “televisual” is also perfectly in tune with the ongoing cross-fertilization between the comic book and TV worlds, with talent like Whedon, Mark Millar, and Damon Lindelof moving between both media, adaptations and spin-offs on both sides of the pond, from Smallville to Battlestar Galactica, and genre/style comparisons abounding, whether we’re talking short-lived praise for Heroes or references to Alan Moore’s Top Ten as the Hill Street Blues of superhero procedurals.

Amongst all of this blurring and borrowing, however, the one television concept that simply does not work for comic books is “the season”. Seasons imply definite temporal boundaries. There is always an end in sight and part of the pleasure as well as the pain of viewing a season’s worth of TV is knowing that it will wrap itself up, well or poorly, within a finite number of episodes. Yes, serialized TV may leave viewers sweating through a season-ending cliffhanger or eight, but viewers still know that at a certain point the season will end, whether things are resolved or not, and that anticipatory foreknowledge is essential to the TV viewing experience.

And herein lies the problem with Buffy: Season 8. As a comic book, it does not follow the same narrative rhythm as prime time network television. There is no end in sight, just an infinite succession of story arcs, whose relation to the overall series is designed to be expansive, opening up future storytelling possibilities. This is perfectly in line with the economics of comic book retail sales that increasingly rely on trade compilations available at chains like Barnes & Noble and Wal-Mart to hook new readers by offering self-contained mini-book-length stories that form part of an on-going franchise.

Let me make one thing perfectly clear: I like reading the Buffy comic. It is well written, capturing the clever dialogue and pathos that made the television series so appealing. The artwork is compelling, with snippets of manga-esque imagery interspersed with some near dead-on recreations of the original actors’ likenesses. The opportunities it provides for exploring parts of the Buffy universe impossible to capture on TV without radically blowing up the budget, like Dawn’s years-long transformation first into a giant and then into a Centaur, add texture and spectacle that enrich the franchise. But as a television season told in comic book form, it has really sucked precisely because it insists on adopting the organizational schema of “the season,” leading to expectations that all of this is somehow driving toward a climactic confrontation between Buffy and Angel rather than exploring multiple facts of the Buffyverse that chart its expanding boundaries.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Master Fan

I'm both a Bangel and Spuffy shipper, but I'm more of a Spuffy. I'm not sure if I like what just happened in the latest Buffy comic or not, it all seems a bit strange, I hope they explain more about Angel in the upcoming Buffy comics.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by comic fan (View Post)
Post After The Fall,Joss isn't involved in them.

Scott Allie posted this on his Twitter and quickly pulled it.

SlayAlive - Season 8 - Twilight Part 2: Issue 33

Notice Buffy and Spike in the middle panel.There is a lot of speculation that this is a flashback due to the word,"Now" in the next panel with Xander and Willow and the different coloring.

The speculation is this is from issue 34 or 35.Georges Jeanty was working on #35 still as of last Friday.
Scott Allie addresses this leaked page that he Twittered and quickly pulled.Confirms the Buffy and Spike scene is a flashback.

Buffyfest: Scott Allie on Spike and the Tweet Heard Round the World

Friday, March 12, 2010

Scott Allie on Spike and the Tweet Heard Round the World

Willow, tired and weary after too much Buffy S.8 speculation and Twitter frustration

As most of you already know, Scott Allie tweeted a picture the other night that had a really intriguing image pertaining to future issues of Buffy Season 8, but as quickly as the picture went up, it came down. We're not going to re-post it here, but being the internet and all, that didn't stop the image from making its way around the block a few times. Mostly, people have been speculating on the appearance of Spike in an upcoming issue. I caught up with Scott recently and he addressed the elusive tweet by saying:

"I saw a Tweet about it being the thirteenth anniversary of the Buffy TV show, and I was delirious from too many hours at work. I had all this Buffy and Serenity stuff—in addition to Hellboy—spread out on my desk, the same desk I've been at since 1997. And it just blew my mind that that show started so long ago, on a night when I may well have been sitting at the very same desk, too late at night. And now all these years later, the desk is covered with pages we never could have imagined back then, not to mention that cover for Serenity, another show that would come and go in those years. Did you listen to Patton's new record? It's the funniest thing in the world, man, amazing. I listened to it over and over driving down the coast on that Exurbia book tour when I saw you in LA. Pat does this thing about going back in time to talk to the 1999 Patton, and telling him about the future, blowing his mind that among other things there's a black president. Seriously imagine going back ten years and telling young Michelle that she'd be voting for a black guy, who'd actually win. Anyway, I've often had thoughts like that, about going back to high school and blowing my teenage mind with talk about working with Frank Miller and John Severin and having frequent conversations with Alan Moore. So that was the sort of thoughts going through my mind, thinking about being a young editor doing a licensed comic, back when no one respected licensed comics, before anyone was working with the creators of the original properties. That's what I was thinking, looking at that Serenity cover with Patton and Joss's names right on it. So I carefully moved things around, to cover just a couple little spoilery things—worse than that Spike cameo, which fans have correctly ID'ed as a kind of flashback—and snapped the picture and tweeted it. A little while later I hopped in the car and drove home, and on the way I got a text from my PR department, freaking out, saying it spoiled some exclusive preview stuff they were setting up. So I pulled it down, but you can't unring a bell, especially on the interwebs."

And there you have it!

Last edited by comic fan; 03-13-2010 at 11:06 PM
Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 AM
Addicted Fan

Angel #31 is out tomorrow.Preview pages and both covers

Comics Continuum: IDW Publishing First Looks

FIRST LOOK: ANGEL #31

Angel #31 will arrive in stores on March 17 from IDW Publishing. The issue is written by Bill Willingham and Bill Williams, with art by Brian Denham and David Messina and covers by Jenny Frison and Messina.

Here's how IDW describes the issue:

"While Connor tries to get his devoted army of demon soldiers under control, a new player steps up, and Illyria decides not to take Angel's continued absence lying down. Meanwhile, Eddie Hope finds out that being a force for justice has some major consequences."

Angel #31 will be 32 pages and will cost $3.99.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:12 AM
Elite Fan

Is Illyria talking about screwing Connor??? I need to stop coming in here...
Old 03-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Addicted Fan

I have my copy of Angel #31.I'm on the run but I wanted to post some stuff and thoughts from the issue.

1)The female demons who have sworn loyalty to Connor are called The Sisterhood of Jaro Hull.They are a warrior cult of benevolent demons.

2)The reason they have sworn to serve Connor is because of his unique nature of a child born from two vampires.Something that isn't supposed to be possible but happened.

3)Connor is evolving.Illyria reveals to the bound Angel that Connor is in the process of developing powers and abilities far beyond mere vampires.Angel was unaware of this and Illyria can't believe Angel didn't know and could not see it.Connor is already as strong and fast as Angel.He's going to get stronger and faster.

Two things went to my mind.First,I wonder if this why The Sisterhood of Jaro Hull is so interested in Connor?Because of the powerful being Connor is in the process of evolving into as the impossible child of two vampires.

Second,and spoilers for Buffy Season 8
What Illyria is describing made me think of what's happening in Buffy Season 8.I know the two stories aren't connected but damn,the way Illyira described Connor made me think,isn't this what is happening with Buffy and Angel as Twilight in season 8?
end season 8 spoilers.

3)We don't see the rest of Team Angel in this issue other then Spike(and Connor and Illyira ofcourse).Connor reveals that he sent each team member off to kill vampires with some of the sisterhood members as backup.The only one who refused sisterhood back up is Spike for reasons that become very clear once we get to his mission.We do learn from Illyria though that Kate thinks Connor is,"yummy" and "Cougar bait."

4)Spike's mission is to capture Felicia Valentine so they can get info on where Angel is.The reason Spike refused backup is because he planned to seduce Valentine into bed.Which he does.After they have sex,and we even get to see Spike's boxers(I never pictured Spike wearing underwear covered in little red hearts but he does),he trusses her up like a Thanksgiving turkey to haul her back to the hotel to torture info from her on Angel.And boy is she pissed.She thought her and Spike had something but he tells her that she was just an hour's distraction and he just wanted to nail a celebrity.Although,he would be happy to go again if she invited one of her other famous actress friend's over and they could make it a threesome.

5)Laura Kay Weathermill is up to something shady.She's been hired by Innovation Labs to re-ensoul the vampires turned by Angel's blood but it looks like she's just staking them.

6)Angel's FREE!!!And boy is he pissed.The last page reveals Illyria has freed Angel from his bonds and Angel and Illyria are waiting for the head of Innovation Labs in his office.Angel wants to know a few things.

a)Where is the blood they took from him?

b)How many vampires did they make with his blood?

c)How many minutes does he think he has left to live before Angel rips his throat out?

d)Where are his(Angel's) pants?lol

And I want to know,since Illyria freed Angel,did Angel agree to all her conditions *cough* Connor *cough*?

This issue was faster moving than the last few issues IMO.

The Eddie Hope story is moving along nicely and next issue we get his meeting with Gwen.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Addicted Fan

Video from Scott Allie at the Dark Horse Panel at last weekend's ECCC is up.It the first part.Part 2 should be up at some point.It cuts off at a major announcment.

ECCC ‘10: Scott Allie Talks Buffy Season 8 & 9, Serenity Comics at The Blog From Another World

New Video Post From Emerald City ComiCon!

Dark Horse Senior Editor Scott Allie was a one-man show at the Dark Horse Comics panel at Emerald City ComiCon 2010, as he made some incredible announcements about Buffy Season 8 and 9–or the lack of Season 9 (don’t worry, I think he means next year’s Buffy plan is bigger than a single “season” of comics)–and some upcoming Serenity comics:

So Buffy Season 9 can no longer really be called Season 9.It sounds like it's gotten bigger then a season.The video cuts off right when he's talking about that.Hopfully the next part of the video will have the rest of that.Really worth a watch.Lots of interesting info about what's coming up.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Addicted Fan

CBR's Dark Horse Panel report from ECCC 2010 is up.Here are the Whedonverse bits.

ECCC: Dark Horse Comics Panel - Comic Book Resources

ECCC: Dark Horse Comics Panel

Senior Editor Scott Allie hosted a simple presentation about the upcoming year for Dark Horse, including announcements about Buffy, Serenity, Robert Rodriguez and Patton Oswalt

by Jesse Johnson, Contributing Writer

Senior Editor Scott Allie quickly greeted his audience and proceeded to helm a solo discussion for a full room of fans on Saturday's Dark Horse Comics panel at last weekend's Emerald City ComiCon. He lept right into the meat of the company's announcements with a confirmation that Dark Horse will soon conclude "Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season Eight." Issue #34 will be out at the beginning of April followed on time by issue #35. After that, they will take a break and issue #36 will hit stands sometime in September where Joss Whedon will conclude the writing of the final five-issue arc.

In the break between "Buffy" issues #35 and 36, there will be a one-shot centered on Riley the purpose of which will be to explain a lot of the plot developments that have recently happened in "Season Eight." In addition to "Riley," Dark Horse will be publishing a "Serenity" story called "Float Out" written by Patton Oswalt. It will take place immediately after the "Serenity" movie and deals with Wash's death. This is the first comic to push beyond the movie.

After "Float Out," Dark Horse will release a Joss Whedon story called "Sheppard," which details the backstory of Sheppard Book, "one of the most requested storylines from Serenity fandom" Allie explained. The crowd applauded loudly, before Allie took some questions.

"Will there be a follow up to 'Buffy Season Eight'?” asked a fan. Allie confirmed that Joss Whedon will executive produce the follow up to the series, but it is unconfirmed as to whether or not he will be writing. Dark Horse is not sure, in light of "the developing scope of the series" if it will be called "Season Nine."

Later, Allie noted that on July 17, the Browncoats (the "Firefly" fan club) will host "Can't Stop The Serenity" at Seattle's Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI). "Can't Stop The Serenity" is a fundraising event for Equality Now, a charity that Joss Whedon has been affiliated with for some time. "Serenity" will be shown on a big screen at the event. "It's as though 'Star Wars' was treated as 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show,'” said Allie. Dark Horse recently donated artwork by Jo Chen to the Browncoats for their event. For a full schedule of their events, check their website BrownCoats.com.

"Will you be doing any Dr. Horrible comics?" pressed another Whedon fan. Yes, Allie promised, and Zach Whedon is writing it. He is also currently working on a "Terminator" series that starts later this month. Andy MacDonald is the interior artist for that series.

"Are there any plans for more 'Serenity' character one-shots?" said another fan. It is possible that there would be a Mal and Zoe one shot, but nothing definite at this point, Allie explained.

"What about a 'Dollhouse' comic?" another Whedon fan wondered, but despite discussions between Allie and Whedon, Joss is "averse" to a comic series.

The cover to Patton Oswalt's "Serenity: Float Out" one-shot.

The second part of the video isn't up yet but it sounds like there isn't much more said based off of this.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Elite Fan

Wow... I am so glad I stopped reading.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Passionate Fan

I know, its like they are recycling bad plots from S4 into the comics of Angel especially Illyria wanting to screw Connor. Come on people, we see that before and boy it was

Old 03-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy2345 (View Post)
I know, its like they are recycling bad plots from S4 into the comics of Angel especially Illyria wanting to screw Connor. Come on people, we see that before and boy it was
Not to mention I am morally opposed to Illyria being with anyone besides Wesley.