Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-08-2011, 04:34 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I really don't think she used Will. She was just mad at Peter and that helped her let herself go a little. Besides, even if she was using Will to get back at Peter, I like that
Alicia's not a saint and we need to be reminded of that sometimes.
I never thought Alicia was a saint.But I sympathize with Peter and Will.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Elite Fan

Unplugged

Hybristophilia

Running

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 08-14-2011, 03:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This week we start the Season Two review here
Old 07-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Part-Time Fan

New viewer: Is The Good Wife really good?

I think The good Wife is a really good show, however by what I watch so far, I cannot see how she can really be called The Good Wife.

Maybe this change in later seasons (please don't tell me if it does or not), but I feel that such of thing should be shown in the first season. One cannot guarantee a show will have multiple seasons.

I created the thread because maybe someone has a good theory of why the show would be called The Good Wife.

So far I have watch season 1 and disc 1 os season 2.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometflash (View Post)
I think The good Wife is a really good show, however by what I watch so far, I cannot see how she can really be called The Good Wife.

Maybe this change in later seasons (please don't tell me if it does or not), but I feel that such of thing should be shown in the first season. One cannot guarantee a show will have multiple seasons.

I created the thread because maybe someone has a good theory of why the show would be called The Good Wife.

So far I have watch season 1 and disc 1 os season 2.
Hi Comet!

Welcome! Always good to see new viewers

What I have heard is that they were not certain about the title, and they wanted to change it, but since no one came up with anything better they stick with the working title. I think it`s meant sarcastic/ironic.

As in answer to your question (good question btw!), I think that depends on the definition of the word `good` in association with the word wife. What you consider a good spouse (and maybe I should say female spouse because it seems some ppl have different ideas on how a wife or a husband should behave) does not have to correlate with my way of seeing it. So, what is your definition?

Welcome again and hugs!

JLBT
Old 07-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Part-Time Fan

I agree. The meaning is ironic, because the show is about the emancipation of a wife. Alicia started indeed as a "good wife" in Season 1, but the more she grows the less "good" she becomes. There's no black and white anymore and it's not easy to be "good" when it's hard to tell what is good and what is bad. Alicia still wants to be a good person but at the same time she's doing things that are ethically questionable.

In a way the title fits, because the show is about being good and being bad, trying to do good by acting bad etc. On the other hand I don't like the title very much and I think the title is the reason (among other things) why The Good Wife isn't very successful in my country: People here think the show is about a good housewife and they don't want to watch that. A title needs to make people curious, especially when a show is aired late - and this title doesn't make anybody curious.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Elite Fan

I moved the discussion here because I believe this perhaps is the most appropiate place to have this disucssion

Welcome CometFlash happy posting and viewing! If you need anything pelase don't hesistate to contact me or Gelfing

Quote:
I cannot see how she can really be called The Good Wife
I always thought the title to be ironical like someone mentioned. And yes it has to do with how you interpret the word "good wife" is it what Alicia thinks a good wife is or what the public thinks a good wife is. Cause at times if we go by the stereypes it can be seen as a bad thing, but it doesn't necessary have to be. But yet the word "good" has so many layers, who gets to decide what is good or bad?

"I want a happy life. And I want to control my own fate."
--- Alicia Florrick
Old 07-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks Kicks

Welcome, cometflash! It's a great question and I know the producers wished they had gone for another title many times, not necessarily because people don't get the irony (mostly because they think the title is the reason the audience is mostly female, which I doubt)

Quote:
The Good Wife isn't very successful in my country: People here think the show is about a good housewife and they don't want to watch that. A title needs to make people curious,
I agree. I think the title is bad because it's not intriguing enough to get people to check it out.

But then I think the alternative was to call the show "Alicia Florrick" (didn't Robert King say that at some point?) so that wouldn't have been great either.

Unless you have a pre-existing following (like Game of Thrones) or you're aiming at a very curious audience with an affinity for a genre (like Orphan Black), you need to get people to wonder about the show. It's not easy but The Good Wife probably doesn't do the trick. Irony works only when everyone has the same frame of reference.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimlegaspi (View Post)
I agree. The meaning is ironic, because the show is about the emancipation of a wife. Alicia started indeed as a "good wife" in Season 1, but the more she grows the less "good" she becomes. There's no black and white anymore and it's not easy to be "good" when it's hard to tell what is good and what is bad. Alicia still wants to be a good person but at the same time she's doing things that are ethically questionable.
I think the title hinders on what Alicia could do as a woman. I know the show is about her being a lawyer and making a life on her own. That's the point. She was forced to, so to speak, start over. She had to get back into the work place, find a job, a good job to support her kids because her husband is in jail. She did that, all by herself. She found a friend to help her out in getting that job, but she did it herself, her connections to Peter didn't need to be used or even thought about when she met with Will.

So in that respect, I think the title of "The Good Wife" actually made Alicia look more selfish and inconsiderate to the situation. She was married, she used her married last name to win cases, that we know of. Then she finds this amazing relationship with Will, who will walk through fire for her and then she goes back to the man who humiliates her throughout their marriage even when he promises to be "a good guy" for her. It's just so sickening that she could've had it all. I think if they titled the show The Good Woman instead of The Good Wife, we would've had a different portrayal of Alicia.
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 05-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I knew I had seen one episode a while ago and now I know which one it was, it was the season 1 finale! Because of Amy Acker It's been years of course but I totally remembered how it started when I started it just now...

So I'll be done with season 1 today
Old 05-11-2017, 12:12 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I knew I had seen one episode a while ago and now I know which one it was, it was the season 1 finale! Because of Amy Acker It's been years of course but I totally remembered how it started when I started it just now...
Looooove Amy Hacker! (as you can probably tell from my signature )

I think Running was my favorite season finale