Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Part-Time Fan

No anything! For me it's the same whether I'm listening to a symphony or a metal album.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
The question is are you a song person or an album person?
I'm an album person. I can listen to songs out of "context" but I never once in my life bought a "single". That just doesn't do it for me. Same thing for classical, opera or soundtracks.
Sure, a theme can work on its own, but if it's done right, it just cannot get to the level it should be at when it's taken out of the piece it comes from.

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 05-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I love "concept albums" with all the songs linked by a theme and even if I have not bought a single, except for Band Aid and USA for Africa, after a first hearing and I can easily go from song to song without feeling the need to listen to the entire CD. With mp3 it's of course easier because you can have playlist and you compose your own "album". Especially for folk music I remove the album label.
Of course it depends on what I'm listening, with classical music I'm more an album person, with pop music I don't even remember the name of the album. Rock is something in between.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
With mp3 it's of course easier because you can have playlist and you compose your own "album".
mp3 players and playlists have changed that in a way.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Sure, a theme can work on its own, but if it's done right, it just cannot get to the level it should be at when it's taken out of the piece it comes from.
Yeah that's kind of how I see it. The only time I ever make playlists is when I need the music more for background than a real listening experience. Like a dinner party or something.

Quote:
I love "concept albums" with all the songs linked by a theme
Neat! I so rarely listen to anything with lyrics (at least not lyrics that I can possibly understand,) so the idea of a concept album is pretty foreign to me. Back my undergrad days I was really into Porcupine Tree and I know their album "In Absentia" was a concept album, but I never really followed the "concept" too closely. Oh, and I reviewed a concept album by another band once for the website of my radio station, but... that one got a bad review. Definitely one I only listened to because it was free
ETA: I forgot to ask- any really interesting concept albums that you'd recommend?
Old 05-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Oh, and I reviewed a concept album by another band once for the website of my radio station, but... that one got a bad review. Definitely one I only listened to because it was free
too bad. That's the thing with being a reviewer, you don't always get to review things you like. Just ask Ellie

Old 05-28-2011, 05:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I forgot to ask- any really interesting concept albums that you'd recommend?
Bruce Springsteen's "The Rising" is dedicated to 09/11/01. It's a reflection and some of the songs are really powerful and moving.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Bruce Springsteen's "The Rising" is dedicated to 09/11/01. It's a reflection and some of the songs are really powerful and moving.
a terrific album from a great song writer.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
too bad. That's the thing with being a reviewer, you don't always get to review things you like. Just ask Ellie
I don't really mind actually- It's kind of fun throwing little jabs at something that annoys you And I have strong opinions about music so it's cathartic to defend them on paper. I just try to keep it constructive or keep my mouth shut if I can't be. If I think something is utterly worthless, I won't waste my time! What's Ellie do??

Quote:
Ah, cool! I do have a weakness for the Boss. His music reminds me of my childhood- my dad used to listen to him all the time
Old 05-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
And I have strong opinions about music so it's cathartic to defend them on paper. I just try to keep it constructive or keep my mouth shut if I can't be.
that's the difference between a negative review and just bashing.

Quote:
What's Ellie do??
She is a movie critic

Old 05-29-2011, 03:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Ah, cool! I do have a weakness for the Boss. His music reminds me of my childhood- my dad used to listen to him all the time
Now I'm feeling old...
Old 05-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Now I'm feeling old...
you and I both but then... I'm kinda old

Old 05-30-2011, 04:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That or maybe we are not really up to date with the latest artist. I know That I'm not but I prefer digging in the golden past than scouting the present looking for something worthy.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:32 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_13baby (View Post)
I think our dads would go along well. I grew up listening to the Boss, it's still my dad's favourite singer. As a child, I used to hate Springsteen, I guess it was a sort of refusal phase then I grew up and found myself reconsidering his music, and I still love him and his songs today. When I think about the music that my dad listens to , and the music that my uncle (his brother) listens to , I thank God for being born in the right side of the family
You know, I can proudly say that I've been at the first concert of my life with my dad, it was Bryan Adams in 1991
Old 05-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
When I think about the music that my dad listens to , and the music that my uncle (his brother) listens to , I thank God for being born in the right side of the family
sometimes we need to take a look around to appreciate what we got.

My parents were into the Beatles. I think I had a Beatles phase for about 3 months of summer when I was 13. Then it went away really fast
I found out about music and all there is to listen to, I guess.