Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
RIGHT ? I watched the trailer a few weeks ago and I can't wait to see the movie Never judge a book by its cover

And Tim Burton

Eugenia | tumblr ♔| twitter
Old 04-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
RIGHT ? I watched the trailer a few weeks ago and I can't wait to see the movie Never judge a book by its cover
I like the book cover actually but yeah I know what you mean.

Quote:
Before I forget, has Archie dropped her project in Heart Stopper movie?
She could have because of her commitment to the mini series she's shooting in Ireland. She's not on the imdb page anymore but then there is nobody for the part she was supposed to play so I'm starting to think it was just someone who edited her in and as soon as the news started spreading, the producers corrected it. It was never officially released so I don't know.

Quote:
About the plots in the movie, I agree religion was not the most important, but the consequences of worshiping different Gods were imo.
but only in the sense that it made them all completely obsessed with being right and the others wrong. And that's also true of Hypathia until she realizes that her premise was wrong and she should look at her problem from a totally different angle. I think that's what a lot of people who criticize the movie as religiously intolerant, missed: the parallel between her search for the Truth and everyone else claiming they had the ultimate Truth because their God was better.

Quote:
And Hypathia was so beyond everyone and everything except knowledge It will always amaze me how religion can be, or could be, so powerful to destroy history and waste bright minds
It happened so often throughout history, with many different religions, it's hard to believe any God would want a part of that. When you try to think how advanced we could be right now for instance, if the Inquisition hadn't wiped out scientists and thinkers and prevented autopsies and biology studies in general or anything that could contradict the Bible... it's hard to believe actually.

Quote:
But they found the money to make such an expensive movie
Finding the money is not the problem usually. Financial backers probably thought the movie could win over the audience. They never thought they couldn't get the movie to the audience. Distributors are huge groups and they don't want to be boycotted and to have Christians groups start the negative campaign against them. In a way censorship is still very much alive but there are many ways for movies like these to exist and be distributed now so they can' t prevent them from being seen. They can however prevent them from making money and that's what they did.

And it happens all the time, even with famous directors and big stars. Look at The Life of David Gale. It was completely ignored in the US because it was deemed as an anti-death penalty movie and people completely missed the point.

Quote:
Oh, I think we have changed, I believe we are more tolerant or at least life is not driven by extremism, but of course there are exceptions.
Like Republicans? Or Afghanistan? Iran? Israel?
I'm only being facetious but yes in parts of the world, mentalities have changed, for the most part, about some topics at least. Still, in the whole wild world, religion is still law and law is religion. They are not places where tolerance prevails unfortunately.

Quote:
Oh, I’m very classic with movies, if it is a low budget movie or it teaches me something, I want to see it
Heh as a rule, I'm with you. I do try to keep an open mind because there are gems with big budgets and sure they are few and far between but I usually go on recommendations or confidence in the material when it comes from a book I liked, like this one.

Quote:
From 2012 I’m curious about: Me and You, Bernardo Bertolucci is back after a long time! Doodslag (Netherlands) and Redlegs (US).
Heard about the Bertolucci but not about the other two. I'll check them out.

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 04-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Master Fan

Aga, I watched Ashes and Diamonds, such a great movie! It took me a while to figure out what was going on (probably because twitter was distracting me), but the last 40 minutes are gold. And what a gorgeous cinematography! The whole dance sequence and the guy running away amazing!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poehler-bear (View Post)
Aga, I watched Ashes and Diamonds, such a great movie! It took me a while to figure out what was going on (probably because twitter was distracting me), but the last 40 minutes are gold. And what a gorgeous cinematography! The whole dance sequence and the guy running away amazing!
I'm so glad you liked it The dance sequence was great I also loved the scene when Maciek set the glasses on fire... oh and the whole sequence at the ruins And I liked how Wajda managed to outsmart the censors, because on the surface it looks like a pro-communist movie and it's really not.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM
LGC
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Like Republicans? Or Afghanistan? Iran? Israel?
The strongest exceptions!

Quote:
Look at The Life of David Gale.
Movies about death row penalty are as controversial as those about religion. But again, it was not the main plot imo. It is incredible how people can defend their principles to an extreme and also how a rushed decision can start a non-ending domino. Of course the situation helped, but anyway. The media is so powerful, for right or wrong, but always so powerful! I’m in a hole of love with Kevin Spacey acting and this movie made it deeper

Quote:
Heard about the Bertolucci but not about the other two
Here are the trailers in case anyone is interested

REDLEGS TRAILER on Vimeo

Only the good ones leave early, I will miss you Caloi
Old 05-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
The strongest exceptions!
sadly.

Quote:
Movies about death row penalty are as controversial as those about religion.
I believe it's an issue, just like abortion, that should be at least debated but I guess people prefer to stick their heads in the sand and ignore other points of view.

Quote:
But again, it was not the main plot imo. It is incredible how people can defend their principles to an extreme and also how a rushed decision can start a non-ending domino.
You're absolutely right. When I talk about it with people, I say it's a movie about activism and desperation. And self sacrifice. The death penalty is just the starting point.

Quote:
The media is so powerful, for right or wrong, but always so powerful! I’m in a hole of love with Kevin Spacey acting and this movie made it deeper
Spacey! I'd love to see him on stage again! He's truly one of the greater actors of this generation. And that's already saying a lot. He's also a very involved human being, away from his fame and his acting and I respect him for that.

Quote:
Here are the trailers in case anyone is interested
Thanks. And now I'm looking forward to them too
I think movies should tell a story first. How they do it and how much money is involved isn't really important to me.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 AM
LGC
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I think movies should tell a story first. How they do it and how much money is involved isn't really important to me.
I agree and I have no problem with massive, expensive movies if they have something to say but in most cases they are empty for me. I guess I’m biased towards those done with effort and counting every penny. I’m sure that if the people involved in this kind of movies spend a lot of time to release the story is because they really want to tell it and I value this. But, hey, I’ve watched Avatar too

Only the good ones leave early, I will miss you Caloi
Old 05-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Elite Fan

So I saw Moneyball, and I have to say that I really really enjoyed that a lot. I mean I have a things for Baseball movies especially true stories. So I just really like that! Good good stuff!

"I want a happy life. And I want to control my own fate."
--- Alicia Florrick
Old 05-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Dedicated Fan

I watched the Avengers last week ...and I know, shame on me!
Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I agree and I have no problem with massive, expensive movies if they have something to say but in most cases they are empty for me
they are empty to everybody, that's the problem
It's not really as if they only had significance to some people. They're just empty.
And the worst part is there are a few good movies out there with big budgets, good acting and actual stories. It can be done. They just choose not to bother.

Quote:
I’m sure that if the people involved in this kind of movies spend a lot of time to release the story is because they really want to tell it and I value this. But, hey, I’ve watched Avatar too
I watched it too. Not impressed. A prime example of how good effects do not a story make. The plot was pathetic really.

Quote:
So I saw Moneyball, and I have to say that I really really enjoyed that a lot. I mean I have a things for Baseball movies especially true stories
I thought it was pretty good. I didn't know the story at all so I enjoyed seeing it develop. Pitt was good. I liked the rest of the cast as well.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I thought it was pretty good. I didn't know the story at all so I enjoyed seeing it develop. Pitt was good. I liked the rest of the cast as well.
Yes same for me, I didn't know the story either so I was really consumed by the movie. I kept thinking, did the A's win in 2002? But I couldn't remember, and I didn't google it cause I didn't want to spoil the movie Pitt was good, and the rest of the cast as well. I loved the concept. So overall, quite pleased.

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Master Fan

I really liked Moneyball, I was expecting much less. And Pitt was amazing! I can't believe that with this and Tree of Life he still didn't win anything

OMG I don't know what is happening but Amy is going to be in so many movies
Old 05-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Dedicated Fan

I watched Hannah the other day...kinda weird, but nice!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Elite Fan

Watched The Descendants today, it was ok, slow mostly. But ok.

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 05-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I can't believe that with this and Tree of Life he still didn't win anything
That's what happens when you're too pretty. People don't take you seriously. The media junk probably doesn't help either. As if he chose to be a celebrity over an actor

Quote:
I don't know what is happening but Amy is going to be in so many movies
talent and popularity are an unstoppable force when combined

Quote:
I watched Hannah the other day...kinda weird, but nice!
I fell asleep watching it I had so many expectations just from the cast. It fell flat for me.

Quote:
Watched The Descendants today, it was ok, slow mostly. But ok.
Still haven't tried that. It looks very indie, which is alright with me but I'm not inspired to run to it from the plot alone. I'll manage to see it I'm sure, just don't know when.

I need to watch more trailers! Haven't done that in weeks!
How do you usually pick movies? Trailers? Word of mouth? Cast? Director?