Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 AM
LGC
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Godspeed!
First stop: An Affair to Remember! Lots of quotable lines, it is a funny movie besides the romantic story and some remarks that could be blamed to old days. I loved Cathleen Nesbitt and her character, so endearing Is it true that at that time, there was a rule for movies not allowing kisses exceeding three seconds?

Aga, you should watch this one if you have time

Only the good ones leave early, I will miss you Caloi
Old 04-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I also watched Playing by Heart
Wow, Sean Connery, Gena Rowlands, Ellen Burstyn and Gillian Anderson How did I miss this one!

Quote:
And Deborah Kerr I can't believe she never won an Oscar
One of my favorite, like BIG favorite! Throw Yul Brynner and I just

Quote:
I have so many! Emma Thompson's is perfect!
Oh Nanda, thank you so much! I had forgotten about this speech of hers.... I need to dedicate one of these evenings to go back to some greatest speech. I think I'll dedicate on of my YT play-list to them! Such great speeches out there for our delight!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Wow, Sean Connery, Gena Rowlands, Ellen Burstyn and Gillian Anderson How did I miss this one!
it's a very very small indie.

Quote:
how I wish I could have seen Mary Beth Peil with Brynner on stage!

Quote:
Is it true that at that time, there was a rule for movies not allowing kisses exceeding three seconds?
and many many other more picturesque rules that were globally known as the Hays Code and ruled over the Majors productions from 1930 to the end of the 60ies although they were already mostly ignore by then.
Incredible uh? And yet when you see cable and indies v. networks and Majors today... the code is gone but the general censorship remains pretty much the same. Except nowadays it's because of "Mothers for Family Values" and other BS fronts for Conservatives Christians.

It had instructions on acts, ideas and notions that were to be depicted (or not as was the case really ) but also some more specific steps on how to proceed in certain situations. Example: a main character can only commit adultery is he/she dies (or is suggested to die) before the end.

On the other hand, it makes Pre-code movies such as Of Human Bondage (NOT about S&M ) with Bette Davis, remarkably modern compared to later movies.

Just reading some of the codes' hallmarks is enough to make you now. And if Game of Thrones hits the big red buzzer on virtually everything (except firearms ), shows like Grey's Anatomy would be left without much to do as well since the code forbade interracial relationships, same sex relationships, but also any surgery or childbirth, and even first dates or showing a man and woman in bed together

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 04-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Femina (View Post)
Awww The King & I I need a rewatch

Quote:
I think I'll dedicate on of my YT play-list to them! Such great speeches out there for our delight!
Yes there are and if you make that playlist would you mind sharing it? I'm sure there are many great speeches I never saw

Quote:
Is it true that at that time, there was a rule for movies not allowing kisses exceeding three seconds?
Yes, but this is amazing (also what a chemistry!)

I wanna see more pre-code movies! Any rec? (like my movies to watch list isn't already a giant)
Old 04-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I wanna see more pre-code movies! Any rec? (like my movies to watch list isn't already a giant)
Lots! Besides Of Human Bondage that I was mentioning earlier, there are a lot of great movies that ran interesting social commentaries on the Depression era and interesting female characters.
In no particular order:
Baby Face (Barbara Stanwyck, need I say more?)
Queen Christina (Garbo's really good in it)
Whale's Waterloo Bridge (another one with Davis)
The Public Enemy (Cagney's first lead I think)
Three on a Match (a young Bogart and Davis but they are not the main characters)
Wild Boys of the Road (a very good coming of age movie in the Depression Era)

All these I saw on DVD so they do exist somewhere. They are hard to get your hands on though.

Quote:
and THAT's for all the morons who think a gay guy can't "play straight"!!
Love your tumblr, Nanda

Old 04-16-2012, 06:28 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
All these I saw on DVD so they do exist somewhere. They are hard to get your hands on though.
I can imagine, hopefully I'll find them. Thaaank you! and thanks for putting the IMDB links, easier to add to my watchlist

Quote:
yes

Quote:
Love your tumblr, Nanda
Thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Wasn't Grant bi? Not that it really matters, he's one of my faves
Old 04-16-2012, 04:19 PM
LGC
Extreme Fan

Quote:
It had instructions on acts, ideas and notions that were to be depicted (or not as was the case really ) but also some more specific steps on how to proceed in certain situations. Example: a main character can only commit adultery is he/she dies (or is suggested to die) before the end.
Unnatural and unreal. Was it a belief that if it wasn’t shown, it was not happening in real life? What a mind

Quote:
Thanks for the link! Are these gifs from the movie Notorious directed by Hitchcock? He had the idea of mixing words and kisses to avoid the rule Priceless!

Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Unnatural and unreal. Was it a belief that if it wasn’t shown, it was not happening in real life? What a mind
I think it was more believed that movies had a tremendous impact on what people saw as "acceptable". And in many ways, they were right. They were just afraid it would make people more tolerant <gasp> and it did later on.

I saw Agora again. Has anyone seen it? I think Joana had it on her list for a while. A very interesting (and quite controversial) little movie. Well, mostly not widely known I guess. Regretfully it didn't gather any accolade or much attention from the US circuit, supposedly because it's a European movie but more likely because they had trouble finding a distributor that would support them against the Christian lobby.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:07 PM
LGC
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I saw Agora again. Has anyone seen it?
I haven’t seen it yet, but Agora was not well received in Spain. Probably because religion is central to the plot and Spain is not a secular country. Besides, it is considered the worst movie that Amenábar has directed, I can’t tell, but a megaproduction is definitely different to his previous works.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I saw Agora again. Has anyone seen it? I think Joana had it on her list for a while.
Damn! Yeah, still in my watch list!
I've been very good keeping updated with my favourites shows, and my reading (finished Book 1 of the Millennium, already started 2nd), but between your post and the I Check Movies website, I'm definitely so, so behind. But I'm doing something about it, trying to get my hands on Ágora right now! And of course it's turning out to be a bit difficult!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I haven’t seen it yet, but Agora was not well received in Spain.
Not surprised but it's a shame. And you should definitely see it.

Quote:
Probably because religion is central to the plot and Spain is not a secular country.
Well they have done really good on some issues that are still being debated in more "secular" countries but yeah I can see why the movie would get a bad rep.
Honestly though, and that's where it's sad, religion is not the story but it IS an important element to the plot, which of course, blinded people to everything else. It's bitterly ironic though because it only proves the movie right: people who become obsessed with an opinion tend to miss the most important things.
Because that's what it is about really. How opinions and stubborn views can get in the way of enlightenment.

Quote:
Besides, it is considered the worst movie that Amenábar has directed, I can’t tell, but a megaproduction is definitely different to his previous works.
Yeah I don't know why it got that image. I'm pretty sure the negative campaigning was responsible for it. It's not a megaproduction by any standards. It's just a story that couldn't be told in a one-room set and there is no gratuitous special effect sequence for the sake of it. The budget (which really wasn't big) has been spent on making the settings credible and realistic, that's all. I thought the direction was excellent, particularly the last 20 mn of the movie.

Quote:
I've been very good keeping updated with my favourites shows, and my reading (finished Book 1 of the Millennium, already started 2nd), but between your post and the I Check Movies website, I'm definitely so, so behind
Aww you've been busy so of course what little time you have, you'd rather spend keeping up with the characters and stories you know instead of going after new ones.

Quote:
I'm doing something about it, trying to get my hands on Ágora right now! And of course it's turning out to be a bit difficult!
Hm. I'm going to look around and see if I can help you out on that.

Also, even though I realize that I'll probably be the only one here and that people will look at me like , I'm ridiculously excited at the first trailer of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Yeah I know, it sounds like WTF??! but the book is excellent and although I just know the movie cannot get close to the complexity of the narrative in the novel, I can't wait to see what they made of it, regardless of the trailer which is obviously pandering to the action movie crowd

So now that MY dirty little secret is out, how about you tell me what upcoming movie you're secretly excited about that other people would take you for a crazy person for even wanting to see, people?

Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Addicted Fan

Well, I finally saw Agora, and I loved it! I liked the story, the acting, the directing, sets, costumes, etc

As for the issue related with enlightenment and religion, I was surprised how freely that story was told. It's not often that we're able to see portrayed bits of history that, for obvious reasons, keeps being swept under the rug by the Church.

And the movie had the ability to awaken in me the curiosity to know more and better the real facts of that historical period, about Alexandria and role of Christians.

It reminded me of something that I felt after seeing "The Name of The Rose"!

Quote:
people who become obsessed with an opinion tend to miss the most important things. Because that's what it is about really. How opinions and stubborn views can get in the way of enlightenment.
Nearly two thousand years later, and it is amazing how mentalities have changed so little!

Quote:
I'm ridiculously excited at the first trailer of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
OK, tell me more about it!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Well, I finally saw Agora, and I loved it! I liked the story, the acting, the directing, sets, costumes, etc
it was a well made movie and the acting was excellent. The only reason it didn't go any further is that it was blocked.

Quote:
As for the issue related with enlightenment and religion, I was surprised how freely that story was told.
Well kinda since the movie was protested and just by coincidence didn't find a distributor in the US

Quote:
And the movie had the ability to awaken in me the curiosity to know more and better the real facts of that historical period, about Alexandria and role of Christians.
I had no idea that Christians played such a role in the area. I'm not really surprised by it but I didn't know about it at all.
Also interesting to realize how Christian theology set women back a few centuries. There were many female philosophers and scientists at the time but their works were destroyed under pretenses of heresy.
So... Handmaid's Tale, it's kinda scary.

Quote:
It reminded me of something that I felt after seeing "The Name of The Rose"!
Oooh did you read the book? It's not easy to get into because there's some latin and the style is antiquated on purpose but it's excellent.

Quote:
Nearly two thousand years later, and it is amazing how mentalities have changed so little!
They did change a little because I do believe, in most free countries, that a majority of people are at least adopting a "live and let live" mentality. But it is as much human nature to be arrogant than it is to look for answers and learn more so do these traits cancel each other out? Sometimes. Most often they don't.

Quote:
OK, tell me more about it!
It's hard to describe really but the premise is that the author was handed Lincoln's secret diaries, which shed a whole new light on his motivations and purposes throughout his life and his death. It's a re-imagination of Lincoln's life and times with the addition of supernatural elements and a good dose of tongue-in-cheek humor.
The author came up with the idea after he played around with Pride and Prejudice in his other novel "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" which I can't really read because I hate zombies but I heard it was the same genre. Reinventing the classics with a different vision and modern elements thrown into it.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:33 AM
LGC
Extreme Fan

Before I forget, has Archie dropped her project in Heart Stopper movie?

Quote:
people who become obsessed with an opinion tend to miss the most important things. Because that's what it is about really. How opinions and stubborn views can get in the way of enlightenment.
I saw Agora yesterday and I do not see how it could be considered a bad work. About the plots in the movie, I agree religion was not the most important, but the consequences of worshiping different Gods were imo. And Hypathia was so beyond everyone and everything except knowledge It will always amaze me how religion can be, or could be, so powerful to destroy history and waste bright minds

Quote:
Well kinda since the movie was protested and just by coincidence didn't find a distributor in the US
But they found the money to make such an expensive movie

Quote:
Oh, I think we have changed, I believe we are more tolerant or at least life is not driven by extremism, but of course there are exceptions.

Quote:
So now that MY dirty little secret is out, how about you tell me what upcoming movie you're secretly excited about that other people would take you for a crazy person for even wanting to see, people?
Oh, I’m very classic with movies, if it is a low budget movie or it teaches me something, I want to see it From 2012 I’m curious about: Me and You, Bernardo Bertolucci is back after a long time! Doodslag (Netherlands) and Redlegs (US). I still have no idea about Latin-American movies to be released this year.