{EphramAmy}
patricia
break the window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulfilledღ (View Post)
Done!
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
This is not Falling for an Everwood Christmas...not are what I want to call it. I was feeling inspired and finally had an idea to run with for a one shot to give everyone something to read. I has a good EA feel and I did actually paint Madison in a good light too . It's got a Halloween feel to it too with some mystery and suspense and maybe some chill bumps too. I hope you all enjoy it...

Ephram stood beside the woman standing on the bridge looking at the water.

“I thought I was the only person who’d be walking out this time of night with the snow starting to fall. We’re expecting two feet by tomorrow night.”
Amy turned around. “Wow, I think I just got lost in the snow falling I didn’t realize how cold it had gotten.” She rubbed her hands on on her upper arms.
“How long have you been out here?”
“A while I guess. It was daylight when I left the house.”
“Wow, you must be starving or something, it’s after midnight.”
“I could eat.”
“My house isn’t too far from here, not home cooked meal, but it’s a meal.”
“I know this place, it’s open all night, no matter what you want, you can have?”
“It’s in Everwood, nothing in Everwood stays open passed nine o’clock.”
“Well, then I guess it’s our little secret.”
“Yeah, our little secret.” Ephram caught up to her. “Since we’re sharing secrets, we should at least know each other’s names.”
“I’m Amy Abbott.”
“Amy Abbott…I am Ephram Brown.”
“Nice to meet you, Ephram Brown.”
“Same.”

Ephram didn’t know what to think. A beautiful woman he finds randomly walking on the bridge he always goes to when he needs to think. She invites him to a restaurant that he had no idea existed. If this is a dream, he doesn’t want to wake up.

“No menus?” Ephram sat down with Amy in the booth, they were the only guests in the diner.
“Just tell the waitress what you want.”
“What waitress?” Ephram looked around, didn’t seem to be a soul anywhere.
“Oh, she’s just probably in the bathroom or something. What do you want to eat?”
“This is going to sound silly. But when I lived in New York, me and my mom would order this outrageous meal. Burger with everything, double order of fries and the largest chocolate milkshake with bottomless refills. I always left stuffed and was sick the morning after…but it was worth it.”
“That’s sweet.”
“So, what’s you’re craving.”
Amy sighed heavily. “I haven’t thought about what I wanted in a long, long…gosh seems like decades since I’ve thought about what I wanted.”
“Doesn’t seem like you’re talking about food.”
“I guess I’m not. I wanted to take a walk to…clear my head…and then you came along.”
“What do you want?”
“To be something amazing to someone special. To be wanted, to be loved and adored. I never wanted to be loved and adored by millions of people, just one person is enough for me.”
“Was there ever someone you thought was special.’
“Saying his name still brings a smile to my face…Bradford Stanley. He was just the greatest.”
“You two break up?” He saw Amy’s face shoot up a hurtful look. “Um, you said was…so I’m guessing you broke up?”
“Things didn’t work out. I found out…kind of in a hard way…that he wasn’t the guy for me. I just wish I found out a lot sooner.”
“How long were you two together.”
“Gosh, we grew up together. Went to elementary school all the way to high school. It’s a small town, so it’s not that hard to believe once you think about it.”
“Well, you remained close, that was special.”
“Yeah…he was.” Amy was tracing a heart on the frosted over windows. “He was special.”

Ephram looked up and saw a waitress with a plate of food coming.

“Amy, your usual.”
“Thanks Alice.”
“Wow, looks great as usual.” Amy took in the aroma of the omelet and steak fries. “I see you got what you wanted.”
Ephram couldn’t stop starring at his food, then at Amy and finally at the waitress who just seemed to…disappear when he looked around.”
“I didn’t order this?”
“But you asked for it.”
“Yeah, I guess I did.” Ephram looked at the extravagant amount of steak fries, burger piled with everything he could imagine and a thick chocolate milkshake. “How can I explain this in my head that this is happening.”
“Do you always question everything.”
“Lately, yeah.”
“Why just lately?”
“This is my first Christmas alone.” Ephram swallowed his food. “Widower.”
“Oh, goodness, I’m so sorry. How did she…what happened?”
“Madison, my wife. She passed away last year, a few weeks before Christmas.”
“Ephram, I’m so sorry.” Amy took a sip of her peach flavored tea.
“I usually take a walk around town after everything is closed so that maybe I won’t encounter someone in town asking me how I am around the holidays. I know there’s nothing people can say when someone dies, but hearing the words ‘i’m sorry’ or someone having a pity invite to a family dinner…I can see the looks on their faces…like it’s some craptastic obligation to entertain the saddened and dejected.”
“People don’t think that way. They just learn to feed a situation with good, really good, fattening food.”

They both shared a laugh and a look. For the first time, in a long time that either can remember, they are happy.

“That was great and wow, that was exactly how it was with my mom.”
“Told you, anything you want.”
“Yeah, you’re right.”
“Oh, don’t do that.” Amy saw Ephram reach in his pocket, assuming for his wallet as most men did.
“Someone has to pay…”
“Well, doesn’t look like anyone’s here to take your money.”

Ephram looked around to feel the sense that they were there alone, the parking lot being empty too.

“Where are we? I feel like we didn’t walk far but I do feel like we’ve left Everwood.”
“Just a frame of mind, I guess. Nope, we’re still in Everwood.”

Ephram held the door open for Amy and as soon as they got onto the sidewalk, they were on the main road of Everwood.

“I guess, we didn’t really go that far.”
“Come on, let’s walk.” Amy reached for Ephram’s hand to take and he took it. “The snow is really starting to build, we’ll probably have a good five inches already.”
“Supossed to get two feet by tomorrow night.” Ephram looked at his watch, shaking his head. “Well tonight, then. I can’t believe it’s three in the morning. What was that pl…” Ephram looked behind him and couldn’t see a restaurant that would resemble the diner they were in or any indication there was anything passed the Everwood businesses they were walking in front of.”
“How long were you and Madison together?” Amy clumped up a ball of snow and threw it at as far as she could.
Ephram laughed. “Is that really how far you can throw?”
“I”m out of practice.” She gave him a glance with a smile.
Ephram threw a snowball followed by Amy laughing out loud. “Okay, so maybe I’m out of practice too.”
“Good thing no one saw us, we’d be laughed out of the snowballs club.”
“Snowballs club?”
“Yeah, a club where people learn how to execute and throw…snow…balls?”
“Liar, you made that up.”
“Yeah, I did. I was going with something, trying to be cute and I just…failed, miserably.”
Ephram let out a chuckle. “To answer your question…Madison and I were together for like ten years. We met when, funny enough, she babysat for my sister and I fell for her…hard.”
“And I’m guessing your parents weren’t too keen on that.”
“Keen? Wow, I haven’t heard that word since I visited my grandmother in New York.”
“I’m an old soul, what can I say?”
“Well…long story short, actually there is no short story. We moved to Everwood when my died, it was a sudden thing. My dad moved us here to Everwood to honor my mom. He wasn’t home enough to watch after Delia, so in comes Madison. I was taken by her, no question about it. But it also pissed off my dad a little that I started dating her.”
“What was so wrong about it?”
“Well, babysitter, for one. And she was five years older.”
“So, that’s not a huge deal.”
“And I didn’t mention I was sixteen and she was already twenty-one.”
“That does make a difference.” Amy cleared her throat. “So, I guess you two toughed it out.”
“Yeah, we did. We broke up and got back together a few times over, but after high school, I found her in New York and we reconnected.”
“That’s really sweet.”
“It felt perfect, it felt right. We moved in together, got married a year later and found out we were pregnant after years of trying that spring, everything was going great.”
Amy wiped the tear away that escaped her eye. “Why do I feel like I’m the first person you’re talking to about this?”
“You are. My dad was there, my step-mom Nina, my sister and her husband Matt. Everyone was there, they all know what happened, just no one ever talks about it…at least when I’m not around they don’t.”
“So you’re a single dad since Madison was pregnant and she passed away. I’m sorry, maybe it’s the snow that’s freezing me or I missed something?”
“No, she died and I’m not a single dad.”
Amy stood in front of Ephram. “I’m not here to judge or to give you advice. It’s okay to talk about it.”
“I promised I would be home from my last day of working before the holidays. I had sort of turned into a workaholic like my dad was. I was leaving the school, everything was good, everything was fine until I got home. We always had police cars up and down our street due to an arrest a couple of weeks before. But they were all stopped at my house…” Ephram had to correct himself. “Our house.” He cleared his throat, fighting back the emotions and the memories. “The police were there to tell me that Madison had been carrying the laundry basket down the stairs when she…she fell.”
“Ephram…” Amy spoke softly, wrapping Ephram’s hands inside of hers.
“She had been complaining about a headache for a week and everyone told us it was the pregnancy and stress and to just take some mild aspirin. She was carrying the laundry basket and missed the first step and couldn’t catch her balance and fell…down the steps…fifteen to be exact.”

Amy stayed silent, figuring that all he needed was a moment of silence to gather his thoughts.

“I wasn’t there when my dad was notified about my mom’s car accident. But it’s the same scene with the same sad faces having to deliver a husband the bad news that his life is over. I guess it’s the same feeling because it’s exactly what I felt and I just remember standing there, in the middle of the living room, starring…for what seemed like hours…starring at the clothes on the steps that spilled out onto the floor and a couple of socks that landed not he couch that was nowhere near the steps. A thousand ideas of how she fell still run through my head….after I realized what was going on, I turned to face the officers or detectives, whoever they were…they told me Madison had fallen down the steps. I had my phone turned off because I needed to get a lot of work done, so I missed all the calls and all the voicemails. Madison had fallen because she lost consciousness due to a growing brain aneurysm…reason for the headaches.” Ephram finally let the air out of his lungs he didn’t know he was holding. “The baby [I]our baby[/] didn’t survive. They said it as compassionate as they could but really, no amount of compassion could make that moment any less debilitating. I kept saying if I had only answered my phone…but everyone still tries to reassure me that the aneurysm killed her before the fall did.” Ephram finally felt a weight lifted off his shoulders. “She didn’t feel a thing…they don’t think our baby did either, but there was no way to tell.”

Ephram looked up at Amy who had the same look on her face as she did when he first started talking. “Not what you had in mind for a first date, huh?”
“Well, no, since until two seconds ago, I didn’t know we were on a date.”
“Just the two fo us, dinner…counts as a date for me.”
“Then it’s a date. Even if it was a date, I’m still glad you were able to talk to someone.”
“Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever told all of that to anyone, must less someone I just met.”
“Sometimes an unbiased person is the only person to confess to.”
“You’re a good listener.”

They were now back at the bridge, everything looking and feeling different.

“I feel like this is my stop.” Amy finally spoke, breaking the silence with the snow.
“I can walk you home, the snow is getting pretty bad.”
“Nope, I live close by…I’ll find my way.”
“Amy, wait…” Ephram pressed his lips against hers, feeling a passion he had never experienced before.
“Wow…” Amy smiled back at him. “That was….nice.” She could feel her face getting warmer.
“Yeah, it was…when can I see you again.”
“Soon.”

~*~

Andy watched his son mill around the kitchen humming what seemed like Christmas music.

“You feeling okay?”
“Yeah, great, you like pancakes or waffles?”
“Waffles and thank you. What is going on with you?”
“Nothing, I feel great…I feel alive.”
“I’m glad you feel great and alive, but not less than a week ago, you wouldn’t leave your house if it was’t for work or, well, you didn’t.”
“Okay, there is a girl who is responsible.”
“So you met someone?”
“Yeah, her name is Amy. I walked around Everwood with her for what seemed like hours.”
“Seems like a special girl to enter your personal time of walking around town.”
“She is. She listened, just really listened to what I had to say.”
“Seems like you had something to say.”
“I told her about Madison.”
Andy looked up from his paper. “You told someone you just met about Madison?”
“Yeah, I just felt like opening up for the first time in…well, since it happened and this huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.”
“I’d love to meet this girl Amy sometime, maybe invite her over for dinner.”
“Sure.”
“Wow and accepting an invitation for dinner? Now I really want to meet her.”

~*~

“You’re later than usual, everything okay?” Nina asked Andy as she was bookmarking her kindle.
“Everyone wants a checkup before the Christmas I guess. But that is not the biggest news.”
“Bigger than everyone in Everwood wanting a clean bill of health from the Great Doctor Brown?”
“Ephram, believe it or not. You know he made me waffles this morning…unburnt with fruit.”
“Ephram Brown? The same Ephram Brown who claims to not know how to use a stove.”
“He used griddle, but yeah, same Ephram.”
“What got into him wanting to make you a meal, especially before school.”
“He met a woman last night that he spent a great amount of time with.”
“Wow, must be some woman to put Ephram into a good mood, especially this time a year.”
“Apparently…he told her about Madison.”
“Who is this girl? He never talks about Madison.”
“No idea, all I know is that her name is Amy. Ephram said he talked about Madison and had a huge weight lifted off his shoulders.”
“I’m glad he was able to talk to someone.”
“Me too. You should’ve seen him Nina, I haven’t seen him actually that happy in a long time, maybe when Julia was alive.”
“And this was all because a woman named Amy?”
“Yeah, a girl named Amy.”
“We should have her over for dinner.”
“I invited them for tomorrow night.”
“Good, then I can get takeout from Sam’s…family style.”
“I hope this is a new beginning for him…I’ve been worried about him.”
“You should know better than anyone that this kind of transition takes time.”
“Well, I had you to help me through a lot, being there, talking about it.”
“And now Ephram has Amy.”
“Yeah, Ephram has Amy.”

~*~

Nina walked over to the table Ephram was seated at one early evening. She sat across from him.

“I have a reliable source that you were really chipper a few mornings ago. I’m not calling anyone a liar but this is not chipper.”
“I can’t believe I told her about Madison. I never talk about Madison and the first time I do, it’s to some random person that I’m never going to see again.”
“That girl Amy your dad told me about?”
“Yeah, I guess she thought it wasn’t a big deal that I opened up to her about everything. The looks he had, everything felt good, it felt right for the first time in a long time. Everything felt real, our hands holding the kiss…
“You kissed her? How was that?”
“Amazing, never anything like it.”
“Not even Madison?”
“It felt like…more than I had with Madison.”
“Wow, this girl really is something. All you got was her name is Amy?”
“Abbott, her name is Amy Abbott.”
Nina’s face, body, all her limbs felt cold. She struggled to speak. “Amy Abbott? Are you sure?”
“Yeah, why would you ask me that and why do you look like you’ve seen a ghost?”
“Ephram, someone might be playing a really late Halloween trick on you.”
“What do you mean?”
“Before you and your family moved here there was a family with the last name Abbott. Harold, Rose, Brighton and…Amy. They lived across town in Teluride. Really exclusive area. Harold was the doctor up there and Rose was the mayor who as also a great teacher…or so I’ve heard.”
“How do you know so much about the Abbott family?”
“Only from what I’ve read in the newspaper columns, which after you leave here, research.”
“What’s the point of this, Nina?”
“Amy Abbott is not alive, Ephram.”
Now Ephram was feeling the chill all over his body. “She has to be. I felt her, I kissed her…”
Nina looked around to make sure no one was around their table and she lowered her voice. “Amy was murdered a year before you and your family moved to Everwood. Her boyfriend…”
“Bradford Stanley?”
“Yeah, how did you know?” Nina had a quickness in her voice.
“Amy told me. I know this sounds crazy, I but I met her last night. I talked to her, I had dinner with her, I kissed her. God help me, I wanted to spend the night with her. Now you’re telling me she’s not alive?”
“The Abbotts tried to stay in the same house but with everyone watching them, whispering about what could’ve happened to the girl everyone loved…it became too much for them.”
“Did they ever find out who did it.”
“Bradford admitted to it once the police connected all the dots and he had no where to go.”
“What happened then?”
“He was sent to jail on first degree murder. They couldn’t say he planned it, but everyone in town is convinced he did. He was always one of those quiet kids that you didn’t want to stand next to in the hallway.”
“And no one said anything about them dating.”
“Everyone thought Amy could get him on the right path. They were friends and then became something more.”
“I feel sick.”
“It’s a lot to take in, Ephram. I’m not saying what you saw or felt isn’t real, but I just want you to know all the facts.”
“Yeah, thanks.”

~*~

Ephram had his computer on his lap, going through every website he found, coming through all the details of the events in Everwood and around Colorado circa the year two-thousand. Then…there it was

AMY NICOLE ABBOTT, 16 YEARS OLD, FOUND DEAD BY ECHO LAKE PARK

Amy Abbott, sixteen years old found dead in the early morning of November 18th. Her body was found wrapped up in blankets on the rocks by the bridge by Rockberry Road. It was said that her boyfriend Bradford Stanley was last seen with her that night. They had gotten into a small argument the last anyone had seen. Bradford confessed details to investigators that only a killer would know, intimate details.

Ephram couldn’t believe what he was reading. Amy seemed so vibrant and lively when he walked with her, talked with her, kissed her. How could it all be unreal, how could Amy Abbott be a ghost?

Ephram decided to take the all too familiar walk around town and found himself at the bridge he felt so alive at just a few nights ago. He looked at the sign at the beginning of the bridge, Rockberry Bridge. Ephram felt the same chills as he did when Nina told him the truth about Amy.

Ephram leaned against the ice ridden handle looking around, trying to find a sign. He saw her hand fold over his hand. He jumped back when seeing her face.

“Hi Ephram.” Amy spoke to him with the same beautiful smile she had.
“You’re dead.”
“You figured it out.”
“A little help yeah and why not the truth.”
“And let you go another night without letting go of all that pain and agony you would holding inside. I couldn’t do that, I wasn’t allowed to do that.”
“Allowed?”
“Ephram, I was sent to you, to help you heal.”
“Who would send a dead girl to help me heal and I read your story. All I picture is…”
“Bradford wrapping me up in a blanket. If it helps any, I was already dead when. I landed in the water. At least I didn’t have to feel the cold and whatever element was out here to help me decay that much faster.”
“You seem so calm about this.”
“Well, being dead helps you not stress about what happened when you were alive.”
“I’ll have to remember that.” Ephram turned around, his back facing Amy. “But what does all of this mean?”
“Turn around and look at me.”

Her voice was different, Ephram felt it and he slowly turned around.

“Madison.” He was finally able to say, tears falling and his voice fading.
“Hi, Ephram.”
“What happened…where’s Amy?”
“She’s gone…turns out I have some power up there.” She nodded towards the sky.
“What, why?”
“I remember your reaction when Andy was seeing Julia around Everwood and you thought he was crazy. I didn’t want that for you.”
“You sent Amy.”
“Yeah, I knew you’d talk to someone you felt safe with, someone you felt would listen to you.”
“As you always did.”
“Yeah, I loved listening to whatever you had to say.”
“I’m seem to be at a loss for words now.”
“That’s okay, I don’t have long anyway.”
“You’re leaving?’
“Yeah, I had one last thing to do before I can be at peace.”
“What’s that?”
“Saying goodbye to the man that I loved more than anything else in this world.”
Ephram choked back his tears, he never wanted to cry. “I didn’t get to say goodbye, did I?”
“I didn’t either.”
Ephram saw her slender frame. “Our baby?”
“She is beautiful, has your eyes. I see her, I walk with her. She is going to have your love of music no doubt, she hears you every time you play.”
Ephram saw Madison start to fade. “I guess it’s time.”
Madison placed a soft kiss on Ephram’s lips. “Goodbye, Ephram.”
He hugged her tightly, able to feel her warmth, her heart beating. ‘Goodbye, Madison.”

A moment later Ephram stood himself up and flattened his arms. As close as Madison was in his embrace, the farther apart she felt when she disappeared.

~*~

A Year Later

Ephram walked into the school auditorium. The new school year was starting and all the teachers got together to, as the principle calls it, mingle around. It was more of a way for everyone to recognize each other once the school year started. Half the time the teachers didn’t know the teacher in the next classroom until the school year ended.

Ephram looked around, he like to talk to new faces, make them feel welcome.

Someone tapped on his back, he turned around and almost lost his full up of punch.

“Hi, I’m standing alone, you’re standing alone, why not we stand alone together.”
“Sounds nice…I’m Ephram Brown.”
“Hi Ephram Brown, I’m Amy Abbott.” She saw the look on his face. “Apparently I look like a girl that passed away some years ago in a horrible accident. I promise, I’m not her…apparently her twin though, given the resemblance.”
“You want to get out of here?”
“More than anything, are these things always so…”
“Boring? Yeah, they are.”
“Wait, my coat.”
“I can get it, what does it look like.
“Green, with white gloves inside.”
“I’ll be right back.”

Ephram went to the coat check and handed a fellow teacher the two tickets.

“Leaving already, something happen?”
“Yeah…and it’s pretty amazing.”
“Oh, yeah?”
“Yeah, I met the woman I’m going to marry.”
“Well, then you better catch up with her before someone else does.”
“I lost her once, I’m not losing her again.”
“Yeah…okay?”

Ephram left the teacher pondering that statement and caught up with Amy.

“Where are we off to?” Amy asked when putting on her coat.
“A really great diner…”
“Okay, let’s go.”
“Yeah, lets…”
Wow, Patricia! So many twists and turn in this chapter...so many surprises. You're such a clever writer. I know it's mean, but I really enjoyed reading that Madison died. lol
And...thank God Amy Abbott has a twin!
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Wow, Patricia! So many twists and turn in this chapter...so many surprises. You're such a clever writer. I know it's mean, but I really enjoyed reading that Madison died. lol
The best.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
A Wedding In Everwood

(kind of blanking on the title lol)

This isn't the big story I'm working on. I'm kind of stuck on it for a moment, but still had some ideas. You should see my computer. I think I have at least 5 if not more fictions started that I get stuck on every time. I'm hoping to them all. But until then, here is a really sweet story that I was actually able to write in a couple of hours as a quick story. It's short, not a lot of depth but has a lot of heart which is what Everwood is a lot of times

I hope you all enjoy An Everwood Wedding...

“This is not about him.” Amy cried out, pleading for Colin to hear what she was feeling.
“How could this not be about him? It’s always about him. You want him to show you the world.”
“What? What are you talking about? This is about me, just me.”
“So you finally figure it out that you’re not in this when you have on the dress and all of our friends and family out there waiting for us to become man and wife. A day we’ve both been planning for months. Why are you doing this now, why couldn’t you come to me about this earlier?”
“I thought all the feelings would go away. I thought it was just normal to feel nervous and wonder about the future but my gut, my entire body is telling me something different.”
“Did you feel this way this morning?”
“Yeah.” Amy looked at her hands, her manicured fingernails she had done for this special day. “I’ve felt this way for a while, I just thought I could explain it all away.”
“We’ve been together since we were kids, Amy.” Colin stood right in front of her, saying these words. “We’ve never dated anyone else because I thought we didn’t need to. I asked you to be my wife and you didn’t hesitate.”
Amy interrupted with a whisper. “I know.”
“You tell me you love me with the biggest brown eyes and I felt that.” He brushed his hands over his head. “What happened to that, what happened to us?”
“It’s just overtime…and lately I’ve always thought you deserved better, someone more devoted to you…”
“Deserved, devoted? Did I ever make you feel that I needed to be…honored?”
“No, but you should be cherished by someone who really loves you.”

Colin looked at his fiancé and for the first time, maybe it was because he was allowing himself, but he saw it and he felt it. He leaned up against the serving table in the tent.

“I’m sorry.” He looked at Amy in a different way than he ever had before. “I think we were together for so long we forgot what it was like to be ourselves.”
Amy leaned up right beside him against the table. “I was always used to being Colin Hart’s girlfriend and then it was Colin’s fiancé and someone called me Colin’s wife and it just didn’t feel right. I thought that maybe it was the cold feet thing, but every time I thought about signing a check.” She wiped a tear away, sniffling. “Signing a permission slip for one of our kids as Amy Hart. I wanted to want to feel a rush of emotion in those moments. I realized that I was feeling those moments for us, for the people we would have in our lives, but I never thought about how I would feel.”
“I want you to feel loved and whole and beautiful…the way I see you every day.”
Amy closed her eyes letting her tears fall on the side of her face. “I don’t deserve that after dragging us to this part and telling you no.” She had cupped her hand over her mouth as her entire body felt the emotions of the events of the day.”
Colin stood up, in front of Amy, holding her hands inside of his. He placed a goodbye kiss on her lips and a trail of kisses on her face down to her neck and pulled her into a tight hug. “I will always love you, Amy…Nicole…Abbott.” Colin said her name slowly, knowing it would be the last time he would be saying her full name. One last kiss on the mouth…”Goodbye, Amy.”

Amy waited until Colin was out of sight and out of earshot before she finally allowed herself to break down. She looked up to see Rose looking for her.

“There you are, the guests are waiting, where’s Colin?”
Amy finally found the courage to stand up and letting Rose see that she’d been crying. “There’s not going to be a wedding.”
“What do you mean? Everything’s been planned and there are your friends and family out there that you’ve invited to watch you and Colin get married.”
“Mom…mommy…there’s not going to be a wedding today.”
Rose knew that Amy was serious and she could feel the sadness in her daughter’s voice. “What would you like me to do?”
“I think Colin left so I have to go and tell everyone that they…they got all dressed up for nothing.” Amy looked at her beautiful dress. “I did.”
“I’ll get your father and we’ll let everyone know there will not be a wedding today.”
“No, I have to go do it, I’m the one who called it off.”

For some reason Rose thought that it was Colin that had called everything off. Not pressing the issue, she took Amy’s hands in hers. “Your father and I can handle this. Why don’t you get changed?”
“Thank you.” Amy said, almost a whisper, when all she wanted to do was cry out her words to express how she felt.

Amy felt the biggest sigh of relief. She couldn’t remember feeling this at ease with herself in a long time. Amy honestly couldn’t remember a decision she made entirely for herself by herself without thinking about someone else along the way.

After what seemed like forever, Amy finally grabbed the front of her dress and headed back towards the cabin, that just moments ago, she was walking with her maid of honor Hannah and her bridesmaids excited to see her and Colin get married. Never did she imagine should would return to this room in a wedding dress and no fiancé.

There was a knock on the as soon as Amy was gathering her things together. “Everyone’s at the reception hall.”
“Yeah, I was looking for you.”

Amy turned around. Even in a suit she’d seen him in before, he still looked as handsome as ever.

“Hi, Ephram.”
“I arrived a few minutes ago and Hannah told me the wedding is off?”
“Yeah, it happened…ironically when you arrived.”
“I know I’m probably asking the same question as everyone else…what happened?”
“I think I was always so comfortable being in Colin’s world, that I forgot to have my own.”
“And now?”
“I don’t know what I want . Well outside of getting out of this dress and running away, that is.”
Ephram dangled car keys and grabbing her overnight bag. “What are we waiting for.”
“Ephram, there’s so much stuff here to clean up, I can’t leave my own wedding.”
“Why not? Who do you have to make happy?”
Amy smiled and sighed. “Me.”
“What do you want?”
Amy leaned her head onto his. “Let’s go.”

~*~ 1 year later ~*~

Colin was finally back in Everwood. He had left Everwood shortly after the jilted wedding with Amy. Never thought he’d return, Colin looked around Everwood and was glad he did. The leaves were finally turning colors, giving the town the orange and autumn and lots of other wonderful colors from the trees. He looked up to see Ephram walk into a jewelry store. Why not say hello to an old friend, he thought.

“Ephram Brown.”
Ephram saw Colin walking towards him and felt more awkward than he had in his entire life. “Colin, hey, when did you get back into town?”
“A few moments ago. I checked into the only really nice hotel in Everwood apparently.”
“Yeah, the Everwoodian. It’s the really nice hotel in town because it is the only hotel in town.”
“Yeah, I know, but it’s Everwood. If it’s corny, it’s Everwood.”
“True. So…jewelry shopping?”
“Mr. Brown?” The clerk called his name, placing a ring box in front of him. “Here is the ring you had resized. I’m sure your soon-to-be fiancé will love it, it’s the perfect design.”
“Yeah, my dad picked it out…for my mom.” He could see the slight confusion on the sales person’s face. “My mom passed away and my dad moved us here to honor her. I found Amy because of my mom and I feel this way will honor her even more.”
Colin soon joined Ephram as they exited the store and Colin had to ask. “So who’s the lucky lady?” He saw the look Ephram returned to him and had a hard time finding the words. “It’s Amy, isn’t it?”
“Yeah.”
“So it was you.”
“What was me?”
“I think I always felt that Amy wasn’t in love with me as I was and still am with her. She always said you two were just friends and you weren’t the reason she called off the wedding.”
“Colin, I don’t know what you felt, but there wasn’t anything going on with me and Amy back then.”
“But it’s literally a year since the wedding and you’re proposing to her.” Colin sighed. “When did you two start dating?”
Ephram could sense a motive with Colin. “Colin, not sure that’s really any of your concern.”
“So what, a month after, a week?”
“Have a good day, Colin.”

If Colin said anything, Ephram didn’t hear anything when walking away. If Ephram wasn’t nervous about proposing before, he was feeling the butterflies now. He wasn’t expecting Amy to say no, but he was definitely wondering how she would feel when seeing Colin again. Everwood is a small town. Amy running into Colin in Everwood was not only a possibility, it was inevitable.

“Got the ring?” Bright looked up at his soon-to-be brother-in-law in Amy and Ephram’s kitchen.
“Don’t you have the means to make your own sandwich in your own house that you have with your own wife?”
“Hannah’s out of town and I need a road map of the grocery store and I think I’ve eaten everything on Sam’s menu at least three times.”
“When does she get back?”
Bright sighed. “Not soon enough. But I know she will be back in town to take Amy on a spa day while you plan your proposal.”
“Yeah, about that…”
“Don’t tell me you’re feeling scared?”
“No, not at all. I want to marry Amy like right now.”
Bright took a bite of his sandwich, “So what’s the problem.”

Ephram had to let out a small laugh when not evening have to think about what Bright was talking about with a mouth full of a sandwich.

“Colin’s back in town?”
“Colin Hart?”
“Yeah.”
“But what does that have to do with you proposing to Amy?”
“It took a long time for Amy to want to open up her heart again and believe that we could work.”
“Where does Colin fit into this…?”
“I don’t want Amy to doubt her feelings or doubt herself that she has moved on and we’re meant to be together.”
“Dude, I think you’re overreacting. Amy loves you and there’s no doubt that she’s going to say yes and probably do the crying thing she does when she’s really happy.”
That crying thing?
“Where she tries to hide that she’s not crying and fakes a smile to hope the tears don’t fall and in turn she ends up crying even more.”
“I think it’s cute.”
“Well, you’re in love with her…you’re supposed to think it’s cute.”
“Yeah, I guess.”
“Seriously, dude, don’t worry about Colin. You’ve been in this blissful relationship for like a year, everything is going to be fine.”
“I hope so.”

~~

“Great, thank you so much. For a minute I thought I’d have to design my photo shoot with paper bags. Yes, I can be there this afternoon to pick it up.”

Amy looked up to see his smiling face down at her.

“Colin?” She got up quickly to hug him. “When did you get back in town?”
“Oh, this afternoon. I’ve just been walking around town, looking at all the changes. I never expected Everwood to change.”
“I do the same thing too. Remember how things were just a few years ago and seeing them now it’s just a complete surprise sometimes.”
“Speaking of surprises, I ran into Ephram.”
“Oh.” Was all Amy managed to say.
“I want to say I was surprised to find out you two were together, but I think I always knew.”
“Colin, when you and I were together…”
He held up his right hand, interrupting. “I know that now. At the time, I was hurt and I wanted to believe that Ephram was apart of it and I wanted someone to blame. I didn’t want to admit that you were right and things just fell apart because we grew apart. I know that now. I came back to Everwood for you, to tell you, that I still love you and I just want you to be happy. I know it probably doesn’t have any weight on you now, but I feel like the way we ended things was unfair to you and unfair to the time we spent together.”
“Colin, you probably could have said this in an email, over the phone. I appreciate you came all this way from…wherever you live now, but why are you really in Everwood?”
Colin showed Amy his business card. “Attorney at law.”
“Wow, you’ve started your own firm, this is exciting.” Amy paused. “Not to burst your bubble and make Everwood sound hokey, but we already have a lawyer…Hannah Abbott.”
“I know, she’s the one who said I should think about practicing in Everwood for a little while.”
“She did?”
“Yeah, turns out, that there’s going to be another Abbott running around Everwood in the next…nine months.”
Amy’s face lit up, Colin still loved her smile. “I knew she was hiding something with wearing that big sweatshirt and didn’t join me for our weekend run this morning.”
“Yeah, she doesn’t want anyone to know.”
“I wonder how Bright is able to keep a secret.”
“She’s telling him tonight.”
“Exciting! Everwood is certainly changing a lot now.”

Colin kept his posture and made sure not not say anything about where he saw Ephram earlier that day.

“I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but don’t you have to pick up something?”
Amy gave him a confused look. “What…oh, yeah, the phone call. I have to pick up some dresses on loan for a photo shoot I’m doing for Macy’s.”
“Wow, photography.”
“Yeah, I have a studio in town. You should stop by and see it sometimes. It’s over on Montclair.”
“Yeah, I remember the area.” Colin sighed, looking at the time on his watch. “I have to get going too. It was good seeing you and Ephram is a damn lucky guy.”
Amy had a bright smile. “Thank you.”

~

“Ah, that was so much fun!” Amy reflected on the spa day she spent with Hannah. “Thank you for this day. So unexpected and so needed.”
“You are so welcome. We should do this more often, maybe instead of our weekend runs, we can have weekend spa days.”
“Don’t be mad, but I know
“You know…what?”
“A new addition to Everwood in nine months.”
Hannah’s face turned read. “How? Bright doesn’t even know.”
“Your business partner.”
“I swear, no one can keep a secret in this town!”
“Don’t worry, secret is safe with me.” Amy drew a zipper across her lips.

Hannah glanced at the text message notification from Ephram that everything was ready.

“Well, this is where I leave you.” Hannah stated as they stood on Amy’s front porch.
“Wait, you’re leaving. I thought you’d at least stay and have dinner or watch a movie, you always stay.”
“Not tonight.” Hannah gave her friend a hug and whispered, “congratulations.”

Amy just shrugged, shaking her head to Hannah’s comment. When walking into the house she knew the weight of Hannah’s word of encouragement. The white rose pedals were spread at the foyer and trailing up the staircase.

She made up it up the staircase and found his smiling back at her. Amy knew the feeling she had inside of her was the way she was always supposed to feel and knew not to question it or doubt it.

“Ephram…what’s going on?”
He laid a passionate kiss on her lips, placing his left hand on her should and his right hand on her waste. “I love you.”
She kissed him back. “I love you, too.” Her face still wrote a story of confusion.
“I had this entire night planned with a really important question to ask you at midnight…on your birthday.” Ephram reached into the top drawer in the nightstand and took out the ring box. “But I knew I couldn’t wait.”

Amy wanted to scream out yes at the top of her lungs but knew how important this moment was for Ephram too. She stood there, fidgeting, her hands almost shaking.

“I’ve practiced this speech like a thousand times, but I’m a little nervous, so stay with me.”
“Always.” Amy whispered, feeling herself glowing when she smiled.
Ephram entwined his hands with hers. “I love you.” He sighed, continued. “I’ve loved you since the day I came to this little mountain town. There you were with your perfect hair, purple earmuffs and telling me your nickname was Grover.”
“You remembered.”
“I remember everything about us. I remember when I saw the Ferris wheel outside my apartment and you telling me you loved me. I remember coming up for fresh hair and knowing that it was always you then and it’s always you now and it will always be us, forever and always.”
Always” Amy said with a whisper.
Ephram got down on one knee, holding her left hand with his two hands. “Amy Nicole Abbott, I want you to be my forever and my always. Marry me?”
Amy was nodding and realizing she hadn’t said anything yet. “Yes! Oh my God, Yes!”

Ephram quickly stood up, sliding the ring on Amy’s ring finger.

“Ephram, the ring…”
“It’s my mom’s engagement ring. SHe’s the reason why we met in the first place.”
“I wish I could’ve met her.”
“She would’ve loved you.” Ephram couldn’t help but let his voice reflect the emotion he was feeling. My dad gave me his blessing.”
“I love it.” She looked at the ring, then up to her fiancé. “And I love you.”
“Now…to the rest of the evening….”

~*~

Another year later…

“Now we’re really going to be sisters.” Delia pinned Amy’s veil on top her head. “How are you feeling?”
“It’s going to sound silly, but I feel like a princess.”
“You look like a princess, too.”
“Is Adam coming to the wedding?”
“He’s already here. If being stuck in surgery hours after the scheduled time wasn’t enough, he gets to come to a country wedding and help seat people.”
“Well, he’s family so he gets recruited.”
“I think he figured that out when recruited him to help dry dishes as she washed when the dishwasher was broken.”
“I thought that was just to get to know Adam.”
“Well, it worked both ways for Nina. To this day, Adam knows there is no fighting being volunteered at family events, it’s better to just give in.”

They both looked in the mirror, Amy didn’t recognize herself.

“Two years ago I never thought I’d be able to be back in this place again, getting married.”
“You’re marrying my brother this time and it’s the right decision. You look more like a bride.”
“I feel more like a bride.”

Deliah saw Hannah’s signal through the tent cracked entrance door to the quarters.

“Well, Amy Abbott, it’s time to transition you from a bride to a wife.”

The moment, it hit her. The word wife that she was so afraid to identify with felt complete, she felt whole. She still felt the most complete when thinking about becoming Mrs. Ephram, Andrew Brown. She was excited for the next chapter of her life. She was excited to see Ephram’s face when he sees her in the wedding gown that gave her the full bridal moment that she had never really experienced before.

Amy made her way down the aisle towards Ephram and the pastor. She made her way up to the steps and everything floated away when her hands and eyes met Ephram’s eyes.

The pastor began…

We are gathered here in the front of the eyes of God to witness the union of Amy Nicole Abbott and Ephram Andrew Brown. If there is anyone that wishes these two to not be wed, please speak now, or forever hold your peace.”

Colin was standing at the back the church, unbeknownst to anyone. As soon as he heard those words, he gave Amy one last look and quickly exited the church to not be seen by anyone, especially Ephram or Amy. She is happy, Colin thought and he was okay with that.

The Pastor began again…

"Amy and Ephram have written their own vows to each other that they will now recite. Amy…”

Amy began by placing the wedding band on Ephram’s ring finger.. “Ladies first I guess.” She smiled, hearing some laughter from the crowd, putting her at ease. “You came into my life exactly the time I needed you to. I was letting go of the idea that being in love you showed me that I could be loved. I know that with you standing next to me, I can do anything, I want to send the rest of my life making you feel as wonderful and special as you make me feel just by being here…standing next to me. I feel like my heart will explode with how much I love you and love our life together so far and the life we are going to build for years to come. I love you.”

Ephram cleared his throat, before speaking. “Wow, okay…” He fixed his eyes on Amy and immediately he felt the calm he had been looking for. He carefully placed the ring on Amy’s ring finger and slid it into place on her hand. “I moved to this little mountain town when I thought I lost the only person in the world who I thought really understood me. I’m glad I was wrong.” He smiled. “Not only did I find someone I could talk to about anything, I found someone I was going to love with my entire heart and give my entire self to. Everything that I dreamt about what perfect woman would have, you are more than anything I could have ever imagined. I can’t wait to spend he rest our lives with you as your husband and you as my wife. I love everything about you and about us and the life we are going to share together.”

The pastor stepped towards Amy and Ephram in the same spot he was before they recited their vows.

“With the power invested in my by the sate of Colorado, I now present for the first time, Mr. and Mrs. Ephram Andrew Brown..” He looked at Ephram. “You may now kiss your bride.”

Ephram bought Amy into a kiss with passion as her husband that was kissing the woman of his dreams for the very first time

[THE END]
So So beautiful, Patricia! So glad Amy came to her senses. So Glad Colin did not give Ephram's plans away...thought he would! Surprised that Hannah became a lawyer. Not what I would have expected from her. Bright is still goofy and now he's going to be a dad. Adorable. Love nervous Fumbling Ephram. That's one of his best traits.

Beautiful wedding vows...perfect ending and beginning for this perfect couple.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I've written so many stories thinking they were going to be long stories or novels and I get bored and think I'll go back to it and then when I do, I get stuck. So I'm kind of breaking those ideas down into smaller stories, like one shots, and that seems to work better.

This story, The Girl from County High, is rigid. It's really to the point. If you don't like, I'm okay with that. It's just something I had in my imagination that I wanted to play out. I really hope you enjoy it though. The story really does go there and doesn't look back.

here you go...

The Girl From County High: An Everwood Tale

Amy was humming a tune to herself as she swung herself on the swings. The park was deserted for it being really cold outside and everyone at the local football game. She sniffled and pulled her arms closer to her. The temperature couldn’t be any degree above freezing but Amy wasn’t really cold. Her hair was in a messy bun that two hours ago was neat and prim and proper, as she normally presented herself. She crossed her legs to cover up the tear in her stockings. The only part of her outfit that didn’t have a rip or tear in it was her jacket. But that was easy since she wasn’t wearing her jacket when it happened. What happened to me back there? Amy asked asked herself. What really did happen? Was she right to scream and fight for her life. Did she give the wrong signals and want it to end after too much had already began? Amy didn’t know what or what or whom to trust anymore. She looked up to see someone walking towards her, not a normal pace, faster than a normal pace. Her body stiffened quickly, is he back or [/I]could it possibly happen again[/I] were the thoughts she had racing through her mind. Amy looked down, hoping that whoever was there wouldn’t bother and just keep on walking.

“Amy” Ephram’s voice sounded.

Amy’s body relaxed completely. Not that it was Ephram, the boy she’s had a crush on ever since he moved to County High with his father and sister after his mom died. But it wasn’t him. She’s grateful for anyone meeting her in this park on a freezing night.

“Amy?” He asked again, with the same calming voice.
“Just leave me here, I’m fine. I’ll be along any minute.”
Leave you here? It’s not even thirty degrees out here. How long have you been out here?”
That was a great question. Amy really didn’t know how long she’d been sitting on the swing. She felt the warm from her seat so it had probably been a while since the wind was very chilly. “Not sure, really.”
“Amy, look at me.” Ephram asked directly.
“Ephram, just go. I’m fine, you said you were cold.”
“And you’re barely wearing anything. Come on.” Ephram put his gloved hand on her elbow and felt her flinch but not say anything. “What’s wrong? Did you fall?”
“Yeah, sure, I fell in the park and didn’t have the courage to get up and go home. Seriously, leave me here.”
“I’m not leaving you to freeze out here in the park after midnight.”

Why not, he did Amy thought. He didn’t care that he ripped her stockings when pulling them down her legs. He didn’t care that he pulled out several strands of hair when grabbing her outside of the school. All thoughts memories of the earlier events were flooding back, making Amy’s body lose the ability to sit up. Ephram placed his hand gently on her back, helping Amy stand up. She was weaving all around until finally being able to stand. That’s when her body finally had enough and her body dry heaved everything that was in her stomach, which wasn’t much. She was so nervous all day and forgot to ate and now was the only time she was regretting that decision.

“Come on Amy, let’s get you home.”

~*~

And by home, Ephram met his home. He didn’t know Amy that well, but Everwood was a small town and that meant you knew everyone by association. Ephram is friends with her brother, Bright who plays for the high school basketball team. Ephram wasn’t one to play sports, but he supported Bright and hung out with their mutual friend Colin Hart, a local kid who also played basketball. There wasn’t much going on in the small mining town, so Ephram took all the entertainment he could get.

He walked into his room and saw Amy was curled up in his bed. She looked really innocent, almost like a small child laying in their own bed. He thought she was fast asleep and almost jumped when she spoke his name.

“Ephram?”
“Yeah.”
“Where am I?”
“Um, not sure what you may or may not remember.” Ephram sat on the bed beside her, making sure to not touch her, even if it’s to console her. “I found you at the park, you were freezing and didn’t look so good.”
Amy laid on her back, putting a few pillows under her head, so she could speak to Ephram. “I was just waiting to go home, and then I remembered everyone was at the game so I went to sit in the park.”
“Amy to add insult to injury, but it’s freeing outside and you didn’t even have a jacket on.”
“I was dragged.” Amy said suddenly, almost like she was in a trace in remembering the events of the evening.”
“What are you talking about?” Ephram carefully took her left hand into his right hand. Nothing about this felt right and chills were going down his spine.
“I was really hot in the gym and I went to step outside, it felt really god.” Amy sat up, pulling her hair behind her ears. “I just wanted to take a walk, just to walk and he ruined it.” Amy started to cry and leaned herself onto Ephram’s shoulder.
“Who did this to you?” Ephram knew he probably shouldn’t ask but when would the appropriate time to ask?
“It doesn’t matter.” Amy wiped her face and sniffled, still looking at her hands.
“Amy, someone hurt you, they have to know what they did is wrong?”
Amy looked at Ephram, fixing her face and finally said. “Colin Hart.”
“Colin Hart…what?”
“You asked who did this. It’s Colin Hart.”
“Are you sure?”

Ephram got up, not sure he can process this information. Sure he never thought he would disbelieve Amy, but he knows Colin, he’s friends with Colin. The entire town is friends with Colin Hart. He looked back at Amy, a girl who’s entire world just ended because of one person. Why would she lie? How could she lie?

~*~

“Late night?” Bright leaned against the lockers as Ephram had his open.
“No, just didn’t sleep?” Truth was, Ephram didn’t sleep at all. He was making sure Amy would be okay and not do something reckless. How could he tell Bright, her brother, the truth? Not only was his sister victimized, but it was one by his best friend. “I’ll be better tomorrow.”
“Good because we’re all going up to Cabin Lake with some beers, you interested?”
“Nah, I have some studying.”
“You’re the frickin valedictorian, you’re like a genius.”
“I’m a genius because I study. I choose tonight to study. Besides, it’s going to be freezing outside.”

Bright kept on talking about the amazing time they were planning at the lake with the guys from the team. Ephram kept focusing on the moments that Colin would talk about the girls in town like he owned. How did he never pick up on this. Not that Ephram thought Colin was really the guy who did this to Amy, but Ephram was now starting to see Colin in a light that makes him look like the guy who would do this to Amy. Ephram found a new reason to tag along with the team.

“Sure, be at my house at nine.”
“Great and have you been Amy? I know you two don’t generally hang out, but she didn’t come home last night and mom is freaking out. Laynie said Amy stayed at her house the entire night, but mom isn’t buying it and Amy didn’t take the normal stuff that she usually takes when staying over at Laynie’s house.”
Ephram was quick to answer, but didn’t look at his friend. “Nope, haven’t seen her. I barely talk to her so not sure why you through I would’ve seen her.”
“Ephram, just just as bad of a liar as Laynie is. What’s up, you two hook up or something last night? I know she’s my sister, but you’re my friend, so it’s totally cool. Just be honest.”
Ephram almost choked on absolutely nothing at Bright thinking he hooked up with Amy. After what did happen to Amy, the idea that Bright thinks he slept with Amy makes him physically sick. “Honestly, I have to go.”
“Hey, we still have seventh period.”
“I have all my credits so it’s like a study hall for me.”
“What about me and Colin?”
“What about you? You two make your own fun all the time, why do you need me?”

Ephram, honestly, couldn’t stand to be in that conversation any longer. Not that he had anything against Bright, but the idea that everything is so perfect in their world and Amy’s entire world is turned upside makes him more sick that he’d ever remember being in his entire life.

~*~

Amy walked into the clinic holding Ephram’s hand. They took the bus to the line of Colorado which landed them in Utah. She wanted to be as far away as she could without going too far in order to make an appointment under her own name and no one at home figure out what really happened.

“It’s so cold in here.” Amy folded her arms.
“Want my jacket?”
“No, I just want this to be over. I just want to move on, forget it ever happened, forget about Colin Hart.”

The nurse came in, setting up a tray for Amy’s test.

“Okay, Amy, have you washed or showered since you were raped?”
Amy couldn’t lie that she jumped at the such cavalier mention from the nurse of what happened to her. “Um…no.”
“Do you want your…friend to stay in the room with you while this happens?”

Amy pursed her lips together. She’s seen movies and tv shows, she knows what happens during an exam, she just isn’t sure how it’s going to feel for her having Ephram in the room.

Ephram whispered in Amy’s here. “I can wait outside.”
“No, just hold my hand.”
Ephram kissed her forehead, “yep,” and held her hand.
Amy nodded towards the nurse. “Go ahead.”

Ephram kept his focus on Amy to not look at everything the nurse was doing. He really would have rather Amy wanted him to wait outside. But after everything she’s been through, Ephram thought this is the least he could do.”

After a few minutes of the nurse’s exam and it feeling like hours to Amy, the nurse placed the test in the evidence bag. “Okay, I’m done here. You can get dressed.”
“That’s it? Amy sat up, pulling her legs out of the stirrups. “No pictures, no questions?”
“Are you planning on pressing charges?”
Amy was taken aback, she hadn’t thought this far ahead. “I don’t know.”
“We generally don’t take pictures unless you are planning to press charges so they can be shown in the court room.”
“Court room?”
“Yeah, that’s if you press charges.”

Amy knew what the nurse was alluding to. Did she want to press charges? Did Amy want Colin to go to jail or just for everyone to know what Colin did and what type of guy he really is. Definitely something for Amy to think about.

~*~

The night was winding down and Ephram really hadn’t gotten a chance to talk to Colin alone. He didn’t want to directly talk about Amy, but then again he did. He really wanted Colin to admit to assaulting Amy right in front of everyone. But this wasn’t television and this is real life. But the one thing he could get was DNA. That was one thing the nurse asked on their way out of the office was getting the DNA of who Amy thinks assaulted her.

“Are you stalking me?” Colin cornered Ephram at Ephram’s car door.
“Why would you think that?” Ephram knew it was true but didn’t think Colin noticed it.
“Every time I turn around you’re there. What is it?”
“Bright said you weren’t in the locker room during half time. Where were you?”

“Are you my keeper?”

“Were you with Amy?”

Colin turned around, the entire look about him changed. Although he didn’t say anything, Ephram now felt Amy was telling the truth. This is the side of Colin that no one’s ever seen before, well, no one except Amy during halftime.

“Yeah, maybe I was. We’re friends, is that a crime.”
“It probably was after she said no.” Ephram has no idea what happened, but given how he found Amy at the park, he’s really sure she said no at some point.
“What the hell are you talking about?”

Ephram did a quick look around and realized there wasn’t anyone else they came with for smiles.

“I found Amy in the park after the game, remember, the night it was freezing when you came back to the game. You looked like you had just been for a run around town.”

“Ephram, are you accusing me of something?”

“No, not at all. I’m just asking you a question, on behalf of a friend.”
“Dude, you and Amy were never friends. First it’s obvious she’s like you the day you and your family stepped into Everwood. Secondly, the only time you’ve dated a girl is when Amy isn’t dating anymore. You see, everyone knows this but you to. So now you’re putting ideas into your head to be her knight in shining armor.”
“So this is like some joke to you and it’s just a made up story.”
“Yeah, complete fabrication.”
Ephram saw Bright and the other guys joining them. “She got tested.”
“What, dude, no, she can’t.”
“Why can’t she?”
“it won’t prove anything, she needs proof, like DNA or something.”
“Oh, she has it.”
“How?”

Ephram could see how scared Colin was getting with every word out of Ephram’s mouth.

“If you didn’t do it, why would you care?”
“Because….Because you can’t accuse a random guy for something like this.”
“Like what? I never said what happened to Amy. Do you know what happened to her?”
“You said it…you said she was attacked or something.”
“No, I didn’t…you did.” Ephram tipped an empty cup in Colin’s direction. “Goodnight, Colin.”
“Hey, Bright needs a ride home!”
“Then have his best friend drive him home.”

~*~

It had been a week after the basketball game. Amy finally found the courage to return to school. It wasn’t really the courage to return, it was the last week of regular class before winter break. Amy didn’t want what happened to her derail her academic career since it has basically broke her in every other way.

Walking into the main hall, the chatter immediately stopped and everyone’s eyes focused on her. Amy looked up and down at as much of herself as she could to see if she had a piece of toilet paper stuck to her or maybe she actually walked out of the house naked. But then, like a big neon sign, she saw the reason why everyone was starring at her. The local paper, The Everwood Pinecone, was printing the story. Colin Hart: Perfect Guy or Perfect Liar. She didn’t want to be seen reaching for the article, but Amy was curious as to what was printed it he article and how it got to be this big in just a matter of days. Obviously this article had a mention of Amy in it or she wouldn’t be the spectacle at County High before first period.

“You can relax, I picked up a copy at my dad’s office.” Ephram bit into his apple and handed Amy a copy of the Pinecone front page.
“Lifesaver.”

Ephram sat down beside Amy in a secluded area on the side of the quad. “So this article is about me.”
“It mentions you, but…”
Amy interrupted him, almost shaking in anger. “Ephram, it has it right here, in print Amy Abbott accuses Colin Hart of rape and has a test done at a clinic in Utah. How did they know?”
“I don’t know.”
“How did they even know I got tested in the first place?” She looked at Ephram’s solemn face. “You didn’t, Amy almost cried out to the only person she thought she had left on her side. “I can’t believe you talked to him.”
“Somehow being assaulted and having to basically climb my way freezing onto a park swing set is not as bad as my best friend betraying me.”
“I didn’t betray you.”
“You basically told Colin I accused him of something. He knows what he did, he’s not stupid. Colin has friends all over this town, you’re his friend. You second guessed me in the beginning.”
“Yes, and I’m sorry.”
“Sorry doesn’t work anymore. I should’ve just went home and pretended this never happened and let Colin be The God that everyone thinks he is.”
“Amy, people want to know the truth.”
“Truth? After this article the truth isn’t going to matter. I’m guilty to everyone in this town. Jury of my peers? Who can I trust now since I can’t even trust you.” Amy shoved the paper in Ephram’s face, stomping off.

~*~

Amy finished the last of her ice cream sundae. After her bought with Ephram and all the happenings on her first day back at school, she needed a sugar rush. Looking up, she saw him walk into the diner. The restaurant calmed a little but not as much as when Amy walked into County High. Different places or the fact that Amy was the girl in the situations, she’s not sure which made a difference. Amy picked up her empty bowl and handed it to Nina. “Here’s enough for the ice cream and Amanda’s tip. I have to go.”

Nina held Amy back by her arm. “You’re just going to let the guy sit there after what he did to you?”
“You believe me?”
“Yeah, most people in this restaurant do. I can’t speak for the town, but you’re safe in here.”

Amy looked around at a few tables and saw some towns people give a thumbs up to her, even a woman sitting across from Colin’s table. Ephram was right, although Amy didn’t agree with his actions, but she needs to make everyone know what Colin did. And they were about to find out.

~*~

“Colin, I didn’t know you frequented Nina’s diner?”
“Yeah, turns out I’m not welcome in some restaurants around town right now. Might have something to do with that random article in the Pinecone.”
“Random article? You think it’s a lie? It basically incriminates me and makes you a God, as usual.” Amy rolled her eyes.
“The article says I.” Colin had a whisper in his voice, “raped you”.
“I said no and screamed as loud as I could and you didn’t care. Not sure I can spell it out for you any clearer.” Amy sat back in her chair, folding her arms, making a face at Colin.
“You were cute in that outfit and you were giving me some major vibes.”
“Major vibes? You have got to be kidding me.”
“You wanted it just as much as I did, I’m sorry if it was cold, I didn’t want to make you colder, but you insisted…”

Amy was at her boiling point now. Colin was actually accusing her of what happened and not admitting to what he really did. She looked around, noticed that everyone inside tried not to look in their direction but failing miserable. She knew there was only one way to really end this and everyone to know what he did. She saw an empty booth, took her shoes off and stood on the seat.

“ATTENTION!”

Nina noticed Amy’s actions and clinked a fork on a water glass and pointed everyone at Amy’s direction.

“You all know Colin Lawrence Hart as this great basketball player, great friend and maybe even a good kid from Everwood. But what you don’t know is the Colin Hart I was subjected to…yes subjected to the other night during halftime at the basketball game against Marshall. I went out for a walk…A WALK.” She began to shout and then gained composure. “Colin came up to me and asked if he could join me for a walk. I was like okay, this won’t be long because it’s only half time. I was wrong. In that thirty minutes of half-time my entire life changed, in some ways, I’d say my entire life was over…

**FLASHBACK**

The walk ended at the football field and Amy suggested going back and out of the blue, Colin kissed her, taking off his hoodie.

“Colin, what’s going on here?” Amy stepped away from him.
“I thought we were having a good time.”
“Yeah, the walk was nice, but that’s really all it was.”
“Why not. I like you, you really like me…”
“Colin, you’re Bright’s best friend, I like you because of that, nothing else, nothing more.”
“Come on Amy, you know you want this too.”
No! I don’t. The walk was fun, I’m going back.”

Colin squeezed Amy’s arm and didn’t hear her scream when pushing her to the ground.

“Please Colin…let me go, I won’t tell anyone about anything.”

“Tonight? Why would you tell anyone about tonight? Do you tell everyone when you have sex?”

Colin leaned down to kiss Amy again, feeling her lips trembling beneath his. He started to unbutton her shirt.

“I always liked this pink and white shirt on you, makes you look even more beautiful.”

Amy didn’t say anything. She knew what was going to happen and thought not saying anything would make everything go faster.

“Come on, Amy, talk to me, say something. Communication is key in relationships.”

She was crying silent tears and letting them fall without moving her hands to brush them away. Just then, the inevitable happened. Colin slipped a condom on and with the loudest scream Amy ever had in her entire life, Colin entered her, moving around very slowly, making everything last that much longer.

“Come on baby, move with me like you want to.” He kissed the side of her neck.

“Go to hell!” Amy said with as much fierce as she had left in her and then suddenly…“Oh God, no”

“Yeah, that’s it…” Colin whispered in her ear as heft Amy’s body tighten. “Just feel it.”

“Just please!” Amy started to scream as her body calmed down from spasming. “Please stop!”

“Not yet.” He kissed her mouth was that tightened shut. “I haven’t had my turn yet.”

Amy’s tears were pouring out all over her face. “Oh, God, no. Please just stop! I won’t tell anyone…just please don’t….”

Amy felt the sensation of Colin’s body spasm into hers and she knew what was happening. “Oh yeah, feel it baby…”

Amy laid there for Colin to finish and felt relief when he finally pulled out of her.

“Wow, that was amazing, we should do this more often.” He had a smug look on his face. He discarded the used condom into a ziplock bag and placed them into his black hoodie.

Amy pulled her stockings back on, feeling parts of them rip on the way up and flattened her skirt along her legs. She didn't say anything and didn’t care how she looked. The last thing she wanted to do was remember what just happened. Having to realized what happened even further would make her fall apart even more.

“Well, that was fun. Aren’t you going to say anything?”

“**** you!”
“Well, no offense, but…I think I just did.”

“You son of a bitch, you raped me.”
“We made love, how can you say it was rape? You’ve wanted me since we started County High.”

“I said no!”
“Girls say no all the time, doesn’t mean they actually mean it.”

Amy slapped him hard, making a handprint on his face

**END FLASHBACK**

Amy stepped off the booth and put her shoes back on. It was like coming out of a coma. She felt alive and had no fear when walking passed Colin who couldn’t look at anyone in the face. He didn’t raise his voice or tell anyone it wasn’t true. Colin knew what he did and what’s worse he thought he could get away with it. Unbeknownst to Amy or most of the town, Sheriff Bloom was in the restaurant for his morning breakfast ritual and was able to see Amy and hear all of her words. He quietly got up after finishing his breakfast and stood at Colin Hart’s table.

The sheriff started. “Colin, do you want me to arrest you now, in front of everyone, or down at the station. As a courtesy to your parents, I am giving you an option.”
“After the spectacle in the restaurant, I don’t think it would make a difference I walk out of here in handcuffs or not.”
“Alright…” The sheriff retrieved his cuffs from his belt and began to read Colin his rights. “Colin Hart, you are under arrest for the assault on Amy Abbott. You have the right to rain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you. You have the right to stop answering questions at any time.”

That day everything changed in Everwood. There was never a kid like Colin Hart. Never a kid that got a free pass because he had good looks and could sweet talk anyone into anything. In a way, Everwood became closer, everyone looked out for each other more. They all have Amy to thank for bringing down the Golden Boy with the dark exterior. Amy didn’t know this until the trial, but the same thing happened to other girls at school. Because no one in Everwood thought that anything bad ever happened in their town, they never paid attention to other towns using the name, the halftime rapist. Amy didn’t want to be recognized for coming forward or bringing down a guy who terrorized many towns. Amy was known as the The Girl from County High who stood up for what she believed in. She was just fine with that.
{EphramAmy}
patricia

Last edited by break the window; 01-03-2020 at 01:25 AM
Old 01-03-2020, 03:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

^ Awesome. Thanks for this! Tomorrow I will take a look when I have time to concentrate fully.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia
I've written so many stories thinking they were going to be long stories or novels and I get bored and think I'll go back to it and then when I do, I get stuck. So I'm kind of breaking those ideas down into smaller stories, like one shots, and that seems to work better.

This story, The Girl from County High, is rigid. It's really to the point. If you don't like, I'm okay with that. It's just something I had in my imagination that I wanted to play out. I really hope you enjoy it though. The story really does go there and doesn't look back.

here you go...

The Girl From County High: An Everwood Tale

Amy was humming a tune to herself as she swung herself on the swings. The park was deserted for it being really cold outside and everyone at the local football game. She sniffled and pulled her arms closer to her. The temperature couldn’t be any degree above freezing but Amy wasn’t really cold. Her hair was in a messy bun that two hours ago was neat and prim and proper, as she normally presented herself. She crossed her legs to cover up the tear in her stockings. The only part of her outfit that didn’t have a rip or tear in it was her jacket. But that was easy since she wasn’t wearing her jacket when it happened. What happened to me back there? Amy asked asked herself. What really did happen? Was she right to scream and fight for her life. Did she give the wrong signals and want it to end after too much had already began? Amy didn’t know what or what or whom to trust anymore. She looked up to see someone walking towards her, not a normal pace, faster than a normal pace. Her body stiffened quickly, is he back or [/I]could it possibly happen again[/I] were the thoughts she had racing through her mind. Amy looked down, hoping that whoever was there wouldn’t bother and just keep on walking.

“Amy” Ephram’s voice sounded.

Amy’s body relaxed completely. Not that it was Ephram, the boy she’s had a crush on ever since he moved to County High with his father and sister after his mom died. But it wasn’t him. She’s grateful for anyone meeting her in this park on a freezing night.

“Amy?” He asked again, with the same calming voice.
“Just leave me here, I’m fine. I’ll be along any minute.”
Leave you here? It’s not even thirty degrees out here. How long have you been out here?”
That was a great question. Amy really didn’t know how long she’d been sitting on the swing. She felt the warm from her seat so it had probably been a while since the wind was very chilly. “Not sure, really.”
“Amy, look at me.” Ephram asked directly.
“Ephram, just go. I’m fine, you said you were cold.”
“And you’re barely wearing anything. Come on.” Ephram put his gloved hand on her elbow and felt her flinch but not say anything. “What’s wrong? Did you fall?”
“Yeah, sure, I fell in the park and didn’t have the courage to get up and go home. Seriously, leave me here.”
“I’m not leaving you to freeze out here in the park after midnight.”

Why not, he did Amy thought. He didn’t care that he ripped her stockings when pulling them down her legs. He didn’t care that he pulled out several strands of hair when grabbing her outside of the school. All thoughts memories of the earlier events were flooding back, making Amy’s body lose the ability to sit up. Ephram placed his hand gently on her back, helping Amy stand up. She was weaving all around until finally being able to stand. That’s when her body finally had enough and her body dry heaved everything that was in her stomach, which wasn’t much. She was so nervous all day and forgot to ate and now was the only time she was regretting that decision.

“Come on Amy, let’s get you home.”

~*~

And by home, Ephram met his home. He didn’t know Amy that well, but Everwood was a small town and that meant you knew everyone by association. Ephram is friends with her brother, Bright who plays for the high school basketball team. Ephram wasn’t one to play sports, but he supported Bright and hung out with their mutual friend Colin Hart, a local kid who also played basketball. There wasn’t much going on in the small mining town, so Ephram took all the entertainment he could get.

He walked into his room and saw Amy was curled up in his bed. She looked really innocent, almost like a small child laying in their own bed. He thought she was fast asleep and almost jumped when she spoke his name.

“Ephram?”
“Yeah.”
“Where am I?”
“Um, not sure what you may or may not remember.” Ephram sat on the bed beside her, making sure to not touch her, even if it’s to console her. “I found you at the park, you were freezing and didn’t look so good.”
Amy laid on her back, putting a few pillows under her head, so she could speak to Ephram. “I was just waiting to go home, and then I remembered everyone was at the game so I went to sit in the park.”
“Amy to add insult to injury, but it’s freeing outside and you didn’t even have a jacket on.”
“I was dragged.” Amy said suddenly, almost like she was in a trace in remembering the events of the evening.”
“What are you talking about?” Ephram carefully took her left hand into his right hand. Nothing about this felt right and chills were going down his spine.
“I was really hot in the gym and I went to step outside, it felt really god.” Amy sat up, pulling her hair behind her ears. “I just wanted to take a walk, just to walk and he ruined it.” Amy started to cry and leaned herself onto Ephram’s shoulder.
“Who did this to you?” Ephram knew he probably shouldn’t ask but when would the appropriate time to ask?
“It doesn’t matter.” Amy wiped her face and sniffled, still looking at her hands.
“Amy, someone hurt you, they have to know what they did is wrong?”
Amy looked at Ephram, fixing her face and finally said. “Colin Hart.”
“Colin Hart…what?”
“You asked who did this. It’s Colin Hart.”
“Are you sure?”

Ephram got up, not sure he can process this information. Sure he never thought he would disbelieve Amy, but he knows Colin, he’s friends with Colin. The entire town is friends with Colin Hart. He looked back at Amy, a girl who’s entire world just ended because of one person. Why would she lie? How could she lie?

~*~

“Late night?” Bright leaned against the lockers as Ephram had his open.
“No, just didn’t sleep?” Truth was, Ephram didn’t sleep at all. He was making sure Amy would be okay and not do something reckless. How could he tell Bright, her brother, the truth? Not only was his sister victimized, but it was one by his best friend. “I’ll be better tomorrow.”
“Good because we’re all going up to Cabin Lake with some beers, you interested?”
“Nah, I have some studying.”
“You’re the frickin valedictorian, you’re like a genius.”
“I’m a genius because I study. I choose tonight to study. Besides, it’s going to be freezing outside.”

Bright kept on talking about the amazing time they were planning at the lake with the guys from the team. Ephram kept focusing on the moments that Colin would talk about the girls in town like he owned. How did he never pick up on this. Not that Ephram thought Colin was really the guy who did this to Amy, but Ephram was now starting to see Colin in a light that makes him look like the guy who would do this to Amy. Ephram found a new reason to tag along with the team.

“Sure, be at my house at nine.”
“Great and have you been Amy? I know you two don’t generally hang out, but she didn’t come home last night and mom is freaking out. Laynie said Amy stayed at her house the entire night, but mom isn’t buying it and Amy didn’t take the normal stuff that she usually takes when staying over at Laynie’s house.”
Ephram was quick to answer, but didn’t look at his friend. “Nope, haven’t seen her. I barely talk to her so not sure why you through I would’ve seen her.”
“Ephram, just just as bad of a liar as Laynie is. What’s up, you two hook up or something last night? I know she’s my sister, but you’re my friend, so it’s totally cool. Just be honest.”
Ephram almost choked on absolutely nothing at Bright thinking he hooked up with Amy. After what did happen to Amy, the idea that Bright thinks he slept with Amy makes him physically sick. “Honestly, I have to go.”
“Hey, we still have seventh period.”
“I have all my credits so it’s like a study hall for me.”
“What about me and Colin?”
“What about you? You two make your own fun all the time, why do you need me?”

Ephram, honestly, couldn’t stand to be in that conversation any longer. Not that he had anything against Bright, but the idea that everything is so perfect in their world and Amy’s entire world is turned upside makes him more sick that he’d ever remember being in his entire life.

~*~

Amy walked into the clinic holding Ephram’s hand. They took the bus to the line of Colorado which landed them in Utah. She wanted to be as far away as she could without going too far in order to make an appointment under her own name and no one at home figure out what really happened.

“It’s so cold in here.” Amy folded her arms.
“Want my jacket?”
“No, I just want this to be over. I just want to move on, forget it ever happened, forget about Colin Hart.”

The nurse came in, setting up a tray for Amy’s test.

“Okay, Amy, have you washed or showered since you were raped?”
Amy couldn’t lie that she jumped at the such cavalier mention from the nurse of what happened to her. “Um…no.”
“Do you want your…friend to stay in the room with you while this happens?”

Amy pursed her lips together. She’s seen movies and tv shows, she knows what happens during an exam, she just isn’t sure how it’s going to feel for her having Ephram in the room.

Ephram whispered in Amy’s here. “I can wait outside.”
“No, just hold my hand.”
Ephram kissed her forehead, “yep,” and held her hand.
Amy nodded towards the nurse. “Go ahead.”

Ephram kept his focus on Amy to not look at everything the nurse was doing. He really would have rather Amy wanted him to wait outside. But after everything she’s been through, Ephram thought this is the least he could do.”

After a few minutes of the nurse’s exam and it feeling like hours to Amy, the nurse placed the test in the evidence bag. “Okay, I’m done here. You can get dressed.”
“That’s it? Amy sat up, pulling her legs out of the stirrups. “No pictures, no questions?”
“Are you planning on pressing charges?”
Amy was taken aback, she hadn’t thought this far ahead. “I don’t know.”
“We generally don’t take pictures unless you are planning to press charges so they can be shown in the court room.”
“Court room?”
“Yeah, that’s if you press charges.”

Amy knew what the nurse was alluding to. Did she want to press charges? Did Amy want Colin to go to jail or just for everyone to know what Colin did and what type of guy he really is. Definitely something for Amy to think about.

~*~

The night was winding down and Ephram really hadn’t gotten a chance to talk to Colin alone. He didn’t want to directly talk about Amy, but then again he did. He really wanted Colin to admit to assaulting Amy right in front of everyone. But this wasn’t television and this is real life. But the one thing he could get was DNA. That was one thing the nurse asked on their way out of the office was getting the DNA of who Amy thinks assaulted her.

“Are you stalking me?” Colin cornered Ephram at Ephram’s car door.
“Why would you think that?” Ephram knew it was true but didn’t think Colin noticed it.
“Every time I turn around you’re there. What is it?”
“Bright said you weren’t in the locker room during half time. Where were you?”

“Are you my keeper?”

“Were you with Amy?”

Colin turned around, the entire look about him changed. Although he didn’t say anything, Ephram now felt Amy was telling the truth. This is the side of Colin that no one’s ever seen before, well, no one except Amy during halftime.

“Yeah, maybe I was. We’re friends, is that a crime.”
“It probably was after she said no.” Ephram has no idea what happened, but given how he found Amy at the park, he’s really sure she said no at some point.
“What the hell are you talking about?”

Ephram did a quick look around and realized there wasn’t anyone else they came with for smiles.

“I found Amy in the park after the game, remember, the night it was freezing when you came back to the game. You looked like you had just been for a run around town.”

“Ephram, are you accusing me of something?”

“No, not at all. I’m just asking you a question, on behalf of a friend.”
“Dude, you and Amy were never friends. First it’s obvious she’s like you the day you and your family stepped into Everwood. Secondly, the only time you’ve dated a girl is when Amy isn’t dating anymore. You see, everyone knows this but you to. So now you’re putting ideas into your head to be her knight in shining armor.”
“So this is like some joke to you and it’s just a made up story.”
“Yeah, complete fabrication.”
Ephram saw Bright and the other guys joining them. “She got tested.”
“What, dude, no, she can’t.”
“Why can’t she?”
“it won’t prove anything, she needs proof, like DNA or something.”
“Oh, she has it.”
“How?”

Ephram could see how scared Colin was getting with every word out of Ephram’s mouth.

“If you didn’t do it, why would you care?”
“Because….Because you can’t accuse a random guy for something like this.”
“Like what? I never said what happened to Amy. Do you know what happened to her?”
“You said it…you said she was attacked or something.”
“No, I didn’t…you did.” Ephram tipped an empty cup in Colin’s direction. “Goodnight, Colin.”
“Hey, Bright needs a ride home!”
“Then have his best friend drive him home.”

~*~

It had been a week after the basketball game. Amy finally found the courage to return to school. It wasn’t really the courage to return, it was the last week of regular class before winter break. Amy didn’t want what happened to her derail her academic career since it has basically broke her in every other way.

Walking into the main hall, the chatter immediately stopped and everyone’s eyes focused on her. Amy looked up and down at as much of herself as she could to see if she had a piece of toilet paper stuck to her or maybe she actually walked out of the house naked. But then, like a big neon sign, she saw the reason why everyone was starring at her. The local paper, The Everwood Pinecone, was printing the story. Colin Hart: Perfect Guy or Perfect Liar. She didn’t want to be seen reaching for the article, but Amy was curious as to what was printed it he article and how it got to be this big in just a matter of days. Obviously this article had a mention of Amy in it or she wouldn’t be the spectacle at County High before first period.

“You can relax, I picked up a copy at my dad’s office.” Ephram bit into his apple and handed Amy a copy of the Pinecone front page.
“Lifesaver.”

Ephram sat down beside Amy in a secluded area on the side of the quad. “So this article is about me.”
“It mentions you, but…”
Amy interrupted him, almost shaking in anger. “Ephram, it has it right here, in print Amy Abbott accuses Colin Hart of rape and has a test done at a clinic in Utah. How did they know?”
“I don’t know.”
“How did they even know I got tested in the first place?” She looked at Ephram’s solemn face. “You didn’t, Amy almost cried out to the only person she thought she had left on her side. “I can’t believe you talked to him.”
“Somehow being assaulted and having to basically climb my way freezing onto a park swing set is not as bad as my best friend betraying me.”
“I didn’t betray you.”
“You basically told Colin I accused him of something. He knows what he did, he’s not stupid. Colin has friends all over this town, you’re his friend. You second guessed me in the beginning.”
“Yes, and I’m sorry.”
“Sorry doesn’t work anymore. I should’ve just went home and pretended this never happened and let Colin be The God that everyone thinks he is.”
“Amy, people want to know the truth.”
“Truth? After this article the truth isn’t going to matter. I’m guilty to everyone in this town. Jury of my peers? Who can I trust now since I can’t even trust you.” Amy shoved the paper in Ephram’s face, stomping off.

~*~

Amy finished the last of her ice cream sundae. After her bought with Ephram and all the happenings on her first day back at school, she needed a sugar rush. Looking up, she saw him walk into the diner. The restaurant calmed a little but not as much as when Amy walked into County High. Different places or the fact that Amy was the girl in the situations, she’s not sure which made a difference. Amy picked up her empty bowl and handed it to Nina. “Here’s enough for the ice cream and Amanda’s tip. I have to go.”

Nina held Amy back by her arm. “You’re just going to let the guy sit there after what he did to you?”
“You believe me?”
“Yeah, most people in this restaurant do. I can’t speak for the town, but you’re safe in here.”

Amy looked around at a few tables and saw some towns people give a thumbs up to her, even a woman sitting across from Colin’s table. Ephram was right, although Amy didn’t agree with his actions, but she needs to make everyone know what Colin did. And they were about to find out.

~*~

“Colin, I didn’t know you frequented Nina’s diner?”
“Yeah, turns out I’m not welcome in some restaurants around town right now. Might have something to do with that random article in the Pinecone.”
“Random article? You think it’s a lie? It basically incriminates me and makes you a God, as usual.” Amy rolled her eyes.
“The article says I.” Colin had a whisper in his voice, “raped you”.
“I said no and screamed as loud as I could and you didn’t care. Not sure I can spell it out for you any clearer.” Amy sat back in her chair, folding her arms, making a face at Colin.
“You were cute in that outfit and you were giving me some major vibes.”
“Major vibes? You have got to be kidding me.”
“You wanted it just as much as I did, I’m sorry if it was cold, I didn’t want to make you colder, but you insisted…”

Amy was at her boiling point now. Colin was actually accusing her of what happened and not admitting to what he really did. She looked around, noticed that everyone inside tried not to look in their direction but failing miserable. She knew there was only one way to really end this and everyone to know what he did. She saw an empty booth, took her shoes off and stood on the seat.

“ATTENTION!”

Nina noticed Amy’s actions and clinked a fork on a water glass and pointed everyone at Amy’s direction.

“You all know Colin Lawrence Hart as this great basketball player, great friend and maybe even a good kid from Everwood. But what you don’t know is the Colin Hart I was subjected to…yes subjected to the other night during halftime at the basketball game against Marshall. I went out for a walk…A WALK.” She began to shout and then gained composure. “Colin came up to me and asked if he could join me for a walk. I was like okay, this won’t be long because it’s only half time. I was wrong. In that thirty minutes of half-time my entire life changed, in some ways, I’d say my entire life was over…

**FLASHBACK**

The walk ended at the football field and Amy suggested going back and out of the blue, Colin kissed her, taking off his hoodie.

“Colin, what’s going on here?” Amy stepped away from him.
“I thought we were having a good time.”
“Yeah, the walk was nice, but that’s really all it was.”
“Why not. I like you, you really like me…”
“Colin, you’re Bright’s best friend, I like you because of that, nothing else, nothing more.”
“Come on Amy, you know you want this too.”
No! I don’t. The walk was fun, I’m going back.”

Colin squeezed Amy’s arm and didn’t hear her scream when pushing her to the ground.

“Please Colin…let me go, I won’t tell anyone about anything.”

“Tonight? Why would you tell anyone about tonight? Do you tell everyone when you have sex?”

Colin leaned down to kiss Amy again, feeling her lips trembling beneath his. He started to unbutton her shirt.

“I always liked this pink and white shirt on you, makes you look even more beautiful.”

Amy didn’t say anything. She knew what was going to happen and thought not saying anything would make everything go faster.

“Come on, Amy, talk to me, say something. Communication is key in relationships.”

She was crying silent tears and letting them fall without moving her hands to brush them away. Just then, the inevitable happened. Colin slipped a condom on and with the loudest scream Amy ever had in her entire life, Colin entered her, moving around very slowly, making everything last that much longer.

“Come on baby, move with me like you want to.” He kissed the side of her neck.

“Go to hell!” Amy said with as much fierce as she had left in her and then suddenly…“Oh God, no”

“Yeah, that’s it…” Colin whispered in her ear as heft Amy’s body tighten. “Just feel it.”

“Just please!” Amy started to scream as her body calmed down from spasming. “Please stop!”

“Not yet.” He kissed her mouth was that tightened shut. “I haven’t had my turn yet.”

Amy’s tears were pouring out all over her face. “Oh, God, no. Please just stop! I won’t tell anyone…just please don’t….”

Amy felt the sensation of Colin’s body spasm into hers and she knew what was happening. “Oh yeah, feel it baby…”

Amy laid there for Colin to finish and felt relief when he finally pulled out of her.

“Wow, that was amazing, we should do this more often.” He had a smug look on his face. He discarded the used condom into a ziplock bag and placed them into his black hoodie.

Amy pulled her stockings back on, feeling parts of them rip on the way up and flattened her skirt along her legs. She didn't say anything and didn’t care how she looked. The last thing she wanted to do was remember what just happened. Having to realized what happened even further would make her fall apart even more.

“Well, that was fun. Aren’t you going to say anything?”

“**** you!”
“Well, no offense, but…I think I just did.”

“You son of a bitch, you raped me.”
“We made love, how can you say it was rape? You’ve wanted me since we started County High.”

“I said no!”
“Girls say no all the time, doesn’t mean they actually mean it.”

Amy slapped him hard, making a handprint on his face

**END FLASHBACK**

Amy stepped off the booth and put her shoes back on. It was like coming out of a coma. She felt alive and had no fear when walking passed Colin who couldn’t look at anyone in the face. He didn’t raise his voice or tell anyone it wasn’t true. Colin knew what he did and what’s worse he thought he could get away with it. Unbeknownst to Amy or most of the town, Sheriff Bloom was in the restaurant for his morning breakfast ritual and was able to see Amy and hear all of her words. He quietly got up after finishing his breakfast and stood at Colin Hart’s table.

The sheriff started. “Colin, do you want me to arrest you now, in front of everyone, or down at the station. As a courtesy to your parents, I am giving you an option.”
“After the spectacle in the restaurant, I don’t think it would make a difference I walk out of here in handcuffs or not.”
“Alright…” The sheriff retrieved his cuffs from his belt and began to read Colin his rights. “Colin Hart, you are under arrest for the assault on Amy Abbott. You have the right to rain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you. You have the right to stop answering questions at any time.”

That day everything changed in Everwood. There was never a kid like Colin Hart. Never a kid that got a free pass because he had good looks and could sweet talk anyone into anything. In a way, Everwood became closer, everyone looked out for each other more. They all have Amy to thank for bringing down the Golden Boy with the dark exterior. Amy didn’t know this until the trial, but the same thing happened to other girls at school. Because no one in Everwood thought that anything bad ever happened in their town, they never paid attention to other towns using the name, the halftime rapist. Amy didn’t want to be recognized for coming forward or bringing down a guy who terrorized many towns. Amy was known as the The Girl from County High who stood up for what she believed in. She was just fine with that.
Wow! This had me on the edge of my seat.

It is SO good!

Initially I just thought Amy was depressed but then as the story moves along I quickly realized it would have been better if it was just depression!

- The way your describe the rape... wow.
- You have both Ephram and Amy's mannerisms down so perfectly. Like Amy fiddling with her hair, I totally envisioned Amy going there!
- Such a twist having Bright and Ephram friends with Bright totally being in favor of Ephramy this early on.
- I love how you depicted Colin as this popular perfect guy who did not... get away with it! Just perfect!

I even think this could have truly happened on the show. What if in season 1 Colin really did do something like this to Amy and it started out that way? It was Ephram that was there for Amy and it's how they bonded.

Sadly, given Colin's really bad personality, it even makes sense (even without the brain injury) that Colin could be capable of rape too. He seemed to think he could walk on water and whatever he wanted, he would receive, even something as horrific as rape. Like in his mind, Amy still wanted it even if he crossed the line, and he would think like this.

I love this, Patricia. It's dark and you're so good at keep the characters very in character with believable scenarios.

This is so good!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted more and more story after it concluded!

Thanks for it!

Should we link again?
Old 01-04-2020, 04:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

PS: I changed up the Title of this Thread.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle (View Post)
Wow! This had me on the edge of my seat.

It is SO good!

Initially I just thought Amy was depressed but then as the story moves along I quickly realized it would have been better if it was just depression!

- The way your describe the rape... wow.
- You have both Ephram and Amy's mannerisms down so perfectly. Like Amy fiddling with her hair, I totally envisioned Amy going there!
- Such a twist having Bright and Ephram friends with Bright totally being in favor of Ephramy this early on.
- I love how you depicted Colin as this popular perfect guy who did not... get away with it! Just perfect!

I even think this could have truly happened on the show. What if in season 1 Colin really did do something like this to Amy and it started out that way? It was Ephram that was there for Amy and it's how they bonded.

Sadly, given Colin's really bad personality, it even makes sense (even without the brain injury) that Colin could be capable of rape too. He seemed to think he could walk on water and whatever he wanted, he would receive, even something as horrific as rape. Like in his mind, Amy still wanted it even if he crossed the line, and he would think like this.

I love this, Patricia. It's dark and you're so good at keep the characters very in character with believable scenarios.

This is so good!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted more and more story after it concluded!

Thanks for it!

Should we link again?

Thank you so much I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I was going to write something really simple, kind of puff piece but then I watched a Law & Order: SVU special dedication to their 21 years on television and the stories and the impact that the show has on stories and characters just moved me. I've watched SVU from the beginning and I was blown away by the impact the show has and what the actors have done to really encourage these characters to another level.

I wanted to feel that passion, I wanted to write something in honor of that. I wanted it to feel real, gritty and just jaw dropping. Because even though SVU is written in fiction and what I write in fiction happens to people. We live in a very unkind society that makes for good television, that makes for good character writing.

Secondly, I hate Colin Hart. I don't have one once of like to him. No matter how good he tried to be post accident, I still see as a smug bastard, to be perfectly honest. So as a writer, I want to put him in a place that he gets what he deserves. Do I think Colin Hart as an abuser, a rapist, not in Everwood's theory. But he did play a character in One Tree Hill that did put Peyton in a position of attempted date rape. So in other shows, in other context, Colin Hart could be escalated into a rapist, as Michelle pointed out. I really like to dig deep into characters and tear apart the layers. That's why I added that not only did Colin assault Amy, he's done it before and has hidden under the radar and gotten away with it until someone was finally strong enough to say that what he did was wrong. I can't stress that enough, in today's society that sometimes people's actions are very wrong and they need to be held accountable.

I didn't want to focus too much on Colin getting arrested, although there is probably much more I could write and really expand on. But I think it's good where it is. With the story being revealed that Colin was a serial rapist, it didn't need to be justified in a court of law. It didn't need to be aired out in the town of Everwood for Amy to be put through a trial when, quite frankly, she said her piece in the diner in front of half the town. There was nothing else to say or do. Colin knew it was done. And that was enough. Sometimes I think the world likes to sensationalize things just to get a story and forgets about the story itself.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I hope you enjoy what more I have to bring.

And yes, Michelle, stories I post in this thread, you are more than welcome to link on the main page. I want fans to know that even though Everwood is off the air and has been for some time, the stories still continue. The passion of these characters are still alive. Maybe...just maybe...Gregory, Emily, Treat and all those amazing actors will know the impact they had on a community of people that wanted to watch a show about character development in a little mountain town
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 01-05-2020, 07:25 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Thank you so much I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I was going to write something really simple, kind of puff piece but then I watched a Law & Order: SVU special dedication to their 21 years on television and the stories and the impact that the show has on stories and characters just moved me. I've watched SVU from the beginning and I was blown away by the impact the show has and what the actors have done to really encourage these characters to another level.

I wanted to feel that passion, I wanted to write something in honor of that. I wanted it to feel real, gritty and just jaw dropping. Because even though SVU is written in fiction and what I write in fiction happens to people. We live in a very unkind society that makes for good television, that makes for good character writing.

Secondly, I hate Colin Hart. I don't have one once of like to him. No matter how good he tried to be post accident, I still see as a smug bastard, to be perfectly honest. So as a writer, I want to put him in a place that he gets what he deserves. Do I think Colin Hart as an abuser, a rapist, not in Everwood's theory. But he did play a character in One Tree Hill that did put Peyton in a position of attempted date rape. So in other shows, in other context, Colin Hart could be escalated into a rapist, as Michelle pointed out. I really like to dig deep into characters and tear apart the layers. That's why I added that not only did Colin assault Amy, he's done it before and has hidden under the radar and gotten away with it until someone was finally strong enough to say that what he did was wrong. I can't stress that enough, in today's society that sometimes people's actions are very wrong and they need to be held accountable.

I didn't want to focus too much on Colin getting arrested, although there is probably much more I could write and really expand on. But I think it's good where it is. With the story being revealed that Colin was a serial rapist, it didn't need to be justified in a court of law. It didn't need to be aired out in the town of Everwood for Amy to be put through a trial when, quite frankly, she said her piece in the diner in front of half the town. There was nothing else to say or do. Colin knew it was done. And that was enough. Sometimes I think the world likes to sensationalize things just to get a story and forgets about the story itself.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I hope you enjoy what more I have to bring.

And yes, Michelle, stories I post in this thread, you are more than welcome to link on the main page. I want fans to know that even though Everwood is off the air and has been for some time, the stories still continue. The passion of these characters are still alive. Maybe...just maybe...Gregory, Emily, Treat and all those amazing actors will know the impact they had on a community of people that wanted to watch a show about character development in a little mountain town
Interesting finding out how you got your idea and then incorporated it with the Everwood characters. Makes sense! I agree with you on Colin so much.

Great! Do you want to supply a link with the right wording?
Old 01-06-2020, 11:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The Girl From County High: An Everwood Story about Survival

I can actually provide a link in the Board Guide/Intro thread with every story I post if you like I'll be posting a new story in a few days (hopefully lol)
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 01-06-2020, 03:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
The Girl From County High: An Everwood Story about Survival

I can actually provide a link in the Board Guide/Intro thread with every story I post if you like I'll be posting a new story in a few days (hopefully lol)
Perfect!
Old 01-16-2020, 12:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

So this story was originally going to be a one-shot, like the other stories I wrote, but I just kept adding on to it because I didn't want to lose the story because there is so much to tell It turned out to be a really long story, so it's going to be told in chapters, probably about 4 chapters or so. The story is outlined and pretty much done, I just have to fine tune a few parts and post it. So, below is the first chapter, I hope you like it! I'll post the link in the Board Guide Thread

A Christmas Homecoming in Everwood

“Come on Ben, we have got to go!”
“In a minute mom!” The boy cried out, trying to put all of his clothes neatly in the mini suitcase.
Amy walked into his room, marveling over how neat her son was packing everything. “You know, they do not inspect your suitcase for tidiness?”
“But, mom, they scan the suitcase, they know what is actually in the suitcase. I want them to know everything is in order.”
“As you wish, kind sir.”

Amy walked around the corner into her bedroom and picked up her heavier-than-she-thought suitcase and placed it at the door. The nerves in her stomach were getting the better of her. She always told her son, Ben, to eat a healthy meal before starting the day. This morning the thought of food made her nauseous. She was going back home. It was finally time for her son, Benjamin, to meet her family and her father’s family. Well, more importantly, it was time for Benjamin to meet his father., Ephram, for the very first time.

It wasn’t ever Amy’s plan to have her son and raise him without ever telling Ephram, but after she made a life in New York, how would things work? Then as time went on, months flew by, then years and it finally hit Amy in the heart. When filling out paperwork for Ben to start at a new school she had to leave the spouse and father of Benjamin blank. Amy eventually convinced herself that she didn’t exactly lie about not having contact with Ben’s father, she just never told Ben that his father didn’t know about him at all. The ache and the guilt started to weigh on her heart, her body and every emotion she had. Looking back on things, how could she just let this happen. What would she say to Ephram when showing up in Everwood with [I]their[/] son. It wasn’t like Benjamin was still a baby and it had only been a few months. Benjamin was nearly six years old. He’s had six years in the world, a lot of places he’s seen, opinions he’s formed about people he has met. He has a life, a life without his father. Up until now.

It’s not that Ben hasn’t ever asked, Amy’s just gotten used to her radio centric answer, we’ll see, sweetie. That was enough for Ben to go on and focus on something else. But Amy knows that there will be a time, sooner rather than later, that Ben will ask about his father and not just accept any answer. He will see other boys and girls with their fathers and wonder why his father isn’t there. She lived in a small town outside of Manhattan. Her career of being a freelance photographer affords her to live in a luxury apartment with a doorman and an elevator. It’s beautiful during Christmastime. She is able to take Ben to see the big tree in the city. Amy caught a glimpse of the photo of the the big tree she took about three years ago. It was the first picture submitted to the local paper in New York. She was rewarded substantially for such a great photo and being the first one to submit one that year. But Amy was staring to wonder if just taking the photos was enough or did she want to be apart of the magic in the photos.

“Mom!” Ben shouted, finally getting his mother’s attention. “The cab is here.”
“Oh, you are so right Ben! Let’s go!”

Amy got her coat on and grabbed all of her belongs and had Ben go in front of her to make sure he wasn’t missing anything either. She took a look again at her spacious, clean apartment and look a deep breath sighing. She had only booked the trip for two weeks, not planning on staying any longer than that. She couldn’t lie to herself thinking her trip might actually be shorter than that. She was sure that once Ephram found out that not only did he have a son out in the world, but the one person he trusted the most lied to him about it.

~*~

Ephram was at his desk, looking over a student’s paper who was sitting in a desk across from him.

“It’s good.”
Hogan smiled, standing up. “So then I’m good to go on the ski trip?”
“I didn’t say that.”
“But I turned in my paper, on time I might add and you think it’s good…what’s the deal?”
“For most students, it is good. But for you, honestly, it’s crap. What’s going on Hogan? I’ve seen your writing all year and it’s great, better than this classroom can teach you. And you hand me this?” Ephram held up the document, then tossed it back on his desk. “Is there a girl keeping your attention? New friends…problems at home? What gives?”
“That is my best writing.”
Ephram took the paper again, flipping through the pages and found a sentence he circled in red. “The Notebook describes love as an anomaly, something you’d expect in every relationship. Boy loses girl, boy gets girl back, it’s the same story it might as well be Beauty and the Beast.”
“It’s true.”
“Did you read the assignment or just go onto a website and get cliff’s notes?”
“Mr. Brown, I had a lot going on that week. Football practice, getting ready for the big game, I have projects in every other class. What do you want from me?”

Ephram slammed the paper on the desk behind him and stood up, facing Hogan eye to eye.

I want you to take this seriously! You are graduating in a year. Outside of County High, there isn’t going to be some football game every weekend or a cheerleader wanting to hang out with you. There is going to be a guy like me riding your ass for a project to get done by the end of the day and isn’t going to care about what other projects you have going on, what your friends are doing or what else is going on outside the doors of the building. I care about your future, Hogan. You should, too.” Ephram placed his hands on Hogan’s shoulders. “I want you to know what you really have to offer the world. It’s not about throwing a football, It’s not about who can ski the highest slope and it’s never going to be about which party is the better party to go to on Saturday night.”
“So…you want me to rewrite it something.”
“Yeah, rewrite it this weekend.”
“Sure, I’ll have it to you by Monday.” Hogan smiled and picked up his bags and saw Ephram writing something on a piece of paper. “My slip to go on the trip?”

“No, I’m not allowing you the grades to go to on the ski trip. What you turned in is an incomplete paper. Sure, most students this would be good enough to pass and go on a ski trip, but I’m holding you back and having you write this paper without distractions.”
“But everyone is going on the trip, I’ll be the only one stuck here.”

Exactly. You won’t have any distractions and you’ll really feel what real life is all about and how important it is to do things right the first time.”
“This isn’t fair!”

“Life isn’t fair.” Ephram handed him the piece of paper. “This is the email address to send in your essay. You have until Sunday at eight p.m. It’s Friday so it gives you all day Saturday and almost all day Sunday.”

“Can’t I just do it when I come back?”

“Then what does that teach you as a student, Hogan? What does that say about me as your teacher? Trust me, you’ll thank me later.”
“Yeah, okay.”

Ephram let out a deep sigh after Hogan left he room. All too familiar feeling of being in Hogan’s shoes, wanting to do something and being held back for responsibilities. He just hoped that Hogan gets the message of what Ephram is trying to say to him and it meaning that goes far beyond interpreting the story of The Notebook.

~*~

Coming from the city known for Christmas decorating, Amy saw Everwood’s town square decorations as less that what she remembered. Amy felt like she built up this amazing place for Ben when telling him all about Everwood and how Christmas was so special from the place she grew up.

“Amy Abbott.” Someone spoke her name on the street. “That must be you.”
Amy turned around to see Cheryl Forbes, one of her friends from County High. “Cheryl, how are you.”

“Great, but not as good as you. I’ve seen your photos all over the New York Times and one in Vogue magazine. You do have an eye for talent.”
“Thank you so much, that means a lot to me. How is your husband George doing?”
Cheryl looked surprised that Amy asked and looked interested. “He’s doing great. He’s been a little sick, but if you remember George, nothing will keep him down.”
“Nope, everyone I saw around town he was delivering something or picking something up to take to a job. I’m glad things are going well.”
“Yes, and who is this handsome fellow with you?”

Uh oh Amy immediately thought to herself. It was bad enough she had lied to Ephram for six years about him having a son in the world, but it’s another thing for people in town to find out about before he did. Everwood is a large town for what it’s grown into, but small enough for everyone to still know each other.

“Um, this is Ben, we’re just spending the day at home. I wanted to show him where I grew up.”
“That’s nice.” Cheryl had a disbelieving look on her face. It was undeniable that Ben was related to Amy. They had the same pointed nose and dimples. “You have a good visit to Everwood more, don’t be a stranger.”

“No ma’am, I will not.”

Even though Amy didn’t say clearly that Ben is her son, it was definitely implied from the look Amy saw on Cheryl’s face. Now the clock was ticking. She had to find Ephram and tell him the truth. This trip was becoming a bumpier ride then she had planned on.

“Mom, I’m hungry.”

“Me too, buddy. Maybe we can get room service in the hotel.”

“We always get room service.” Ben had a bit of a whine in his voice. “Can’t we have real food.”
“Sure, we’ll fid a restaurant.”

And the only local diner Amy remembers is Sam’s. It was formerly Mama Joy’s restaurant until Nina Feeney, now Nina Brown, purchased it with her boyfriend, Doctor Jake Hartman. The two eventually went their separate ways and Nina bought out his side of the business. Amy remembers the big celebration when Nina signed the contract and the restaurant completely being hers. Amy’s heart was filling back up with the memories of her home town. It’s clear that Amy missed Everwood more than she knew.

~*~

“You did what you had to do, you’re stronger than most teachers at County High.” Bright tried consoled his friend’s ego.
“I know, it’s the right decision, I couldn’t feel I was a good teacher if I let him go on a ski trip knowing he passed me a puff piece assignment.”
“Did he leave angry or stomp out of the classroom?”

“No, I think he was just more surprised and let down that I didn’t make him go. You’ve been at the meetings. Principal Shepherd is out for the kids who think they can just show up to class and automatically be eligible for sports. I feel like Hogan is a case to set the tone for sports.”
“Don’t tell him that.”

“Why not?”

“Then it’s like you’re making an example out of him. Then it’ll go to the school board, there will be a hearing. If lawyers on Hogan’s side press hard enough, the school board will do anything to make it go away.”

“And you know this because…”

“I’m not just another pretty faced football coach. I read the notes of former coaches and you know, teachers talk.”

“So you’re not mad for maybe me making Hogan ineligible for football?”

“Wait, this started off as him not going on a ski trip. Now he’s not gonna play for the team?”

“Bright, this guy is gifted. He knows how to put words and emotions and make everything flow for someone way beyond high school. But in the last month, ever since County High’s big win over Henry Clay, he hasn’t been focused, he’s been turning in crap assignments. It’s like he doesn’t care or wants to fail so he can’t play. Is there something going on during practice that makes him not want to play?”

Bright shrugged. “No, I haven’t noticed. But I’ve let Damon do a lot of the practices and I just watch from the sidelines since he’s asking for more responsibility.”
“Can you find out for me?”
“Yeah, I’ll pay some close attention to him this weekend at practice. Go to be honest, Ephram, we have a huge game against Dunbar coming up. It’s the one for the playoffs. I don’t want his head anywhere but that game on Saturday.”
“We’ll see what happens with the paper he gives in this weekend.”

“Wait, this weekend? You’re making him turn in a paper before Monday.”
“I want him to take this assignment seriously and that he can’t just push it off to go on a ski weekend. He has responsibilities.” Ephram saw Bright’s disappointed look. “Bright, he graduates next year and eventually he’ll have a career and a boss who doesn’t care if he hands in a puff piece assignment or not. He’ll just fire him and hire the next guy who will get the job done. I want Hogan to know he needs to get the job done now.”
“Yeah, okay, I hear you. I’ll see what I can do.”
“Thanks, man, good to know you’re supportive of the other side”
the other side?” Bright laughed out loud. ”Since when are we taking sides.”
“You know academics and sports don’t always get along.”
“Yeah, I know. I’m hoping they will get along after Monday.” Bright gave his friend a look and took his sandwich into the other room.

~*~

“Hey Amy, I’ll be right with you.” Nina passed by her table and then circled back quickly. “Amy Abbott?”
“Yeah, it’s me.”
“And me!” Ben said aloud, once popping up from under the table. “I’m Ben!”
“You sure are!” Nina smiled at the little boy and then had the look, but more awkward smile in Amy’s direction. “Its been a while!”
“Yeah, it has. We’re just visiting for the holidays.”
“Okay, does you know who know you’re back in town?”

“No one knows I’m back in town, well, except for Cheryl Forbes.”

“You know that you-know-who will find out from anyone in town that this you know who exists and looks about the amount of time since you and you-know-who broke up.”
“Are you asking me something or making me solve a riddle?”

“Just find you-know-who before someone else does.”
“Yep, right at the top of my list.” Amy wanted to burry herself under the table when Nina left their table knowing she will return in a few minutes.

So far her visit home has been the opposite of what she expected. What did Amy expect anyway when returning to her home town and that the hometown was smaller than some start up companies.

“What are you going to order mom?” Ben asked, unwrapping his silverware.
“Umm, I don’t know buddy. What are you getting?”

“Chocolate pancakes!”
“Um, you had sugary cereal for breakfast this morning, why not something better since it’s lunch time.”
“Umm, grilled cheese with chocolate milk.”

“You’re sticking to this chocolate thing, aren’t you?”

“Yep! I’m in a chocolate kind of mood today!”
“So that means you’ll be extra sweet today.”

“I’m extra sweet everyday!”
“Yes, baby, you are.”

Amy couldn’t disagree with her son on that remark. She really did luck out with Ben being a really good kid and understand with just about everything going on in life. She feels that sometimes they raised each other since Amy has been doing this entirely on her own for quite some time.

“Okay, without a side of advice that my previous personality is sorry for…what would you like to order?” Nina winked at Amy, smiling.
“I want Grilled CHEEEEEEESE!” Ben said with a smile. “Mom said I can have chocolate milk!”
Nina glanced out the corner of her eye to see Amy grimace and turned her focus on Ben. “Honey, I am so sorry. But our farm, they just couldn’t give us any chocolate milk this week. Maybe next time you come in the cows will be working.”
“No chocolate milk?”

“No, but I have water, which is so good for you. I have regular white milk for such a growing boy as yourself. What do you think?”

“So the cows can rest, I’ll take water.”
“Good choice, water is always available.”
Amy mouthed thank you just before ordering. “I’ll take the chicken Caesar and the greek dressing.”

“We have a hamburger special today with fries, I know you always loved that when coming in with Eph…the Ephesians.” Nina made a panicked face. “Yes, the good ole Ephesians.”
“Nice save” Amy laughed. “That’s just what I always order in New York, I think to fit the New York mold. It’s Christmas, I’m on vacation, bring on the carbs.”
“Alright, good to see you Amy. Nice meeting you too, Ben.”

The rest of their meal was ate in laughter. Ben was so at ease in Everwood like he’s lived her his entire life. He looked around at the restaurant like her recognized the place. Every place they went that day, he said hello to everyone like he already knew them. Amy was pretty sure by the end to their trip in Everwood, Ben would know everyone by their first name.

~*~

Amy was sitting on the bench while Ben play at the park with some of the other kids. She kept a watchful eye on him while looking at some emails on her phone. Then the inevitable happened.

“I heard you were back in town.” Ephram sat down beside her.
“I’ve only been back for a day, I was planning to come see you.”
“Sure.” Ephram couldn’t hold his contempt for how he and Amy left things. He had ever reason to still be upset with her, even six years later and for things he doesn’t even know about yet.
“What have you been up to?”
Ephram cleared his throat before speaking. “So this is how it’s going to go. You ask these open ended questions and we pretend what happened between us six years ago didn’t happen and you go home to wherever you live and we pretend to not know each other.”
Amy was looking towards the park, watching Ben while speaking. “I wasn’t suggesting anything. I don’t know what to say, Ephram, like you said, it’s been six years.” Almost seven Amy thought when remembering Ben had a birthday in a few months.
“So you not being able to look at me is a sign that we can’t even talk to each other?”
“No, it’s just…”

Amy paused not knowing what to say, then her heart started beating fast when Ben started running towards her.

“Mom, I found the coolest rock!”
Amy looked at Ephram to see his face, then turned to Ben. “That’s great buddy, you can add it to your collection at home.”
“Can you hold it for me? I found a cool kid named Connor to play with and I don’t want to lose it.”
“Sure, anything for you.”
Ben looked at Ephram. “Hi, I’m Ben!”
“Hi Ben, I’m….” He looked at Amy, then back at the little boy. “I’m Ephram…an old friend of your mom’s.”
“Mom said on the way here, she’d buy me a real cool birthday present in Everwood.”
“Your birthdays coming up, that’s exciting!” Ephram had a little smile curve on his lips.
“Yeah! I’m going to be seven!” Ben held up his hands to show his fingers counting to seven.

Amy closed her eyes in horror when Ben revealed his age. This is not how she wanted this to go. She looked over at Ephram with her solemn face and Ephram had the equal solemn face. He didn’t physically say anything but the look on his face and his body language spoke for him.

“You wouldn’t do that, even after everything that happened.”
“Ephram, it’s not that simple…it should’ve been, but it wasn’t.”
“I have a son and it took you six years to tell me.” How could you were the words Amy formed in her mind of what Ephram might be thinking when he immediately got up and walked away. He didn’t look behind or do anything but walk forward with his head looking down.

“Mom, why did Ephram leave?”

“Well me and Ephram have a history together that sometimes is complicated for adults.”
“So it’s like you tell me when the people at your job watch soap operas on tv in the break room and you’ll explain things to me when I’m older?”
“Yep, that’s it.”
“I’m going to go play, how long do I have?”

“You have a few minutes, I’ll come and get you.”

The truth is Amy was planning to call Ben over from playing Ephram sat down. She just needed a few minutes to get herself together and be able to make her son believe she wasn’t crying.

~*~

Andy was working in his study when he heard the front door open and slam shut. Maybe its as his imagination and went back to transcribing patient notes. But it wasn’t his imagination when there was a lot of clatter in the kitchen with the cabinets and the refrigerator. He walked out of his office to find his son starring at the ingredients to make a sandwich.

“The sandwich doesn’t make it self.” Andy made himself known in the kitchen
Ephram rubbed his face with hands and pushed strands of his hair back. “Amy’s back.”
“Yeah, Nina mentioned she saw Amy at the restaurant today. It couldn’t have been easy seeing her again.”

Ephram stood there, motionless, Andy thought he would have a better conversation with his son if he himself would make the sandwich and Ephram would just be able to talk.

“Seeing her again, that’s not the issue. I knew she’d return to Everwood at some point, I didn’t think it would take her six years, but I knew I’d probably see her again.”
“How did that go?”

“I thought it was weird she was sitting at the park on Lancaster, where the kids play. But after talking to her a minute and maybe establishing some kind of communication, a little boy came up to her, calling her mom.”
“Oh, wow, she got married or she’s in a relationship.”
“I can count the minutes and the days since Amy left Everwood.” Ephram folded his arms against his sweater. “It was six years and there months.”
“Okay, what does that mean?”

“The little boy, Ben, who came up to her, told me his birthday was coming up and he would be celebrating it in Everwood. Dad, he’ll be seven years old.”
“Okay.” Andy didn’t really know what to say but knew what was coming.
“The night before Amy left…” Ephram knew he could tell his father anything and right now he needed to do just that. “We slept together.”
“Okay.” Andy just wanted to let Ephram know he was still listening.
“There is no way I’m not that little boy’s father.”
“Well, I can see how you can make that connection. If you and Amy got pregnant, she would’ve come back to Everwood, I’m sure of it.”
Ephram’s eyes grew misty, and his face turned into a frown when he looked at his father. “He has my eyes dad, I recognize his hair color from our fold family pictures with mom. I have a son in this world, a son that she is raising and didn’t even tell me.”
“There has to be a reason, Ephram, Amy is a good person.”
“A good person?” Ephram sniffled, holding back the tears. “We spent an amazing night together and I woke up to an empty bed. She didn’t even leave a note, a goodbye, nothing.”

“Okay, so she may not be as great as we thought she was. That doesn’t mean you don’t have to talk to her. This boy is yours, you need to talk to her, you need to have some type of relationship with her, whether you’re angry with her or not.”
“How could she not tell me about him? He’s six years old, almost seven years old and doesn’t know he has a father who never had the chance to know him, to spend time with him…” Ephram’s face scrunched up. “To love him.”
“Talk to her, as an adult, talk to her.”

Andy bought Ephram into tight hug.

“So, about this sandwich….” Andy finally said and they both laughed.
{EphramAmy}
patricia

Last edited by break the window; 01-16-2020 at 12:56 AM
Old 01-16-2020, 08:25 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

^ Awesome! Thanks so much!

I will give it a read soon when I can fully concentrate. Can’t wait!
Reply   Post New Thread