Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Everwood Fans on Dawsons's Creek: Because Berlanti was involved with both shows, and at least he got Everwood right!

Fic Links that TL22 supplied and commented on:

1.Kiss Me Chapter 1, a dawson's creek fanfic | FanFiction

This takes place at the end of season four. It's my very first P/A story. two short chapters. My version on how the graduation could/should have went.

2.Thanksgiving, a dawson's creek fanfic | FanFiction

A short interlude of what could have happened between seasons three and four.

3.Finding True Love Chapter 1, a dawson's creek fanfic | FanFiction

Fourteen chapters of what could have happened in the future. I wrote it over two years. The story starts season three when Pacey is getting ready to sail away. The end of chapter one has a unique twist, I think you'll enjoy.

The following is by ElizabethBella who wrote a fantastic Pacey/Andie story. (My favourite)

Come Sail Away Chapter 1: Separate, and apart, a dawson's creek fanfic | FanFiction
This is a multi chaptered story, you won't be able to put down.

The next is another one of my favourites written by the very talented StevieLuvsAlex

No amount of time, a dawson's creek fanfic | FanFiction

The next is a two part Pacey/Andie story written by me and StevieLuvsAlex. The first part is hers and the second part written by me won't make any sense if the first part is not read. Very very short

Everything happens for a reason, a dawson's creek fanfic | FanFiction
Written by StevieluvsAlex

Everything Happens For a Reason part Two, a dawson's creek fanfic | FanFiction
Written by me and takes up where Everything Happens For a Reason leaves off

https://www.fanfiction.net/story/sto...toryid=7420836

This is a glimpse of Pacey, Andie, Joey and Dawson when they were very young. The story is two parts..

The next link is by the author Makesmyheadspin. IT is a bitter sweet story and really captures Pacey and Andie.

Springsteen, a dawson's creek fanfic | FanFiction

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9279241/...-is-The-Hunter

Last edited by jediwands; 09-05-2013 at 08:57 AM
Old 07-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Betty came up with the good idea of creating this thread. Berlanti was involved with both shows. I personally believe Ephram/Amy and Everwood in general, was such an excellent show because he learned from the mistakes made on Dawson's Creek. I was once a huge fan of Dawson's Creek. I was literally obsessed, I loved it so much. When the show took some bad turns in my mind, it caused me to feel strong, negative emotions as a result. But like I said, I really do believe our Evewrood was created with such high quality because of Berlanti not allowing the same mistakes to be made on Everwood that took place on Creek.

Anyway, we can discuss all things Dawson's Creek, Berlanti, and even integrate the two shows and compare and contrast.

Thanks again, Betty, friend and co-mod, for this wonderful idea!

Our current discussion originated on the Bright/Hannah thread so if anyone wants to take a look at the posts, here they are: http://www.fanforum.com/f104/ketchup...11-a-63099515/

Last edited by jediwands; 07-23-2013 at 11:11 AM
Old 07-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich1111 (View Post)
[

Thanks again, Betty, friend and co-mod, for this wonderful idea!
You're very welcome, Michelle! I wish I had watched this show so that I can join in!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
You're very welcome, Michelle! I wish I had watched this show so that I can join in!
Me too!

You can ask questions though as discussion happens.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Administrator

This is a great idea. I'll have a lot to say on this thread. I'll post some more tonight.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
This is a great idea. I'll have a lot to say on this thread. I'll post some more tonight.
Outstanding.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Administrator

I’ve never felt as strongly about a show as I did Dawson’s Creek, and I’ll never be as involved with a show or a fandom again as I did with Dawson’s Creek and its fandom, for both good and bad. Dawson’s Creek was unique because it came along at a time when people really started to use the Internet as a way to talk about what they were watching, and, in fact, Fan Forum itself started as a website that hosted a Dawson’s Creek Website called Dawson’s Creek Daily, and it had one message board, the Dawson’s Creek board. I got my start here posting on the Dawson’s Creek board and later moderating it, and Fan Forum was very different then. We only had a couple hundred members in the early days of this website, and we’d have these incredible discussions about the show, and the producers of Dawson’s Creek even had their own website called “Dawson’s Desktop” where Dawson would post his thoughts and which followed the episodes, so the Internet became part of the experience of watching the show.

Dawson’s Creek started out as a well written show that tapped into the teenage zeitgeist in a unique way, and it was a show that really made you care about the characters. It was risqué for its time with some of the issues it tackled, like an Inter-Racial Couple, or a teacher having an affair with a student, or a girl with a troubled past trying to make a new life for herself, and it was also unique because it showed teenagers in a non-stereotypical fashion. It was also unique in the way it used a cinematic theme for every episode, much like the movie obsessed young man that it focused on, and each episode originally had a movie title in Season One.

Eventually though, the show became a badly written typical teenage soap opera as the seasons wore on, and it also became a caricature of itself, and I’ll always find that to be disappointing.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 07-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I actually received my first personal computer back in 1998 when Dawson's Creek first got started! I ended up getting involved with the Internet/television combination in 1998 and Dawson's Creek is the very reason why I eventually searched for a site like Fan Forum. I also lurked for a while at Fan Forum before actually signing up and posting. Looking back, I wish I would have signed up and participated much sooner than my start date.

I watched 90210 and that was the very first teen show that I got into. I watched it weekly with my mom and sister. It was a lot of fun. Dawson's Creek came along and it totally transfixed me. I instantly fell in love with the show and found myself constantly wanting to talk about it. I watched the show weekly with my mom. She was disgusted when Pacey/Joey got together, she really was. She thought it was ridiculous and so horrible to go there. She would continue to watch with me but only to see if finally Pacey/Joey would fall off the face of the earth romantically. She was sickened by the ending of the series too, especially the death of Jen, and of course, the final resolution to the infamous triangle. I was very glad that she watched Everwood with me because that helped her see what a true series that kept up with the quality, never ditching the premise and with a satisfying series finale ending was all about. Oh she loved our Everwood.

Yes, Dawson's Creek was birthed at a perfect time. It had all the elements necessary to be a success. It really did give us Everwood if you think about it. Without Berlanti on Dawson's Creek, he might not have had the experience or desire to create Everwood. I will be thankful for Dawson's Creek as a result. I also will remember Dawson's Creek season 1 as being some of the best television in one season that I've ever seen. Of course, Everwood season 1 kicks its a$$ but it's still pretty good, haha.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Administrator

I also got my first computer in 1998 Michelle! The very first message board that I ever posted on was a message board for a long since departed Katie Holmes website (yes, I admit it, I thought that she was so beautiful in Season One, and the first search I ever did was for her ) but most of the people who posted on that website were college guys who wanted to talk about how hot they thought she was, so I didn’t fit in. One day, someone there posted a link to Fan Forum, and I immediately loved the vibe there and how people would discuss the show in depth, so I lurked for a few weeks and I joined the website in January 1999 and I became the Dawson’s Creek board moderator later that year, and I’ve been here ever since.

I really wish that you posted here back then, because you would have loved the discussions we had back then and you would have fit right in. Everything changed in Season Three, and more and more Pacey and Joey fans joined the website and we had what we called “The Joey Wars,” and the Dawson’s Creek board became a war zone of DJers versus PJers. I look back now and I shake my head over how caught up I was in it all, but I also remember how mean-spirited some people were and how some PJers, led by my “lovely” co-moderator, organized a plan to get me removed as a moderator and kicked off of Fan Forum, but needless to say, it didn’t work, and all of those people are gone now and I’m still here, and not only am I still here, I’m the site runner! So I guess you can say I had the last laugh, but at the time it wasn’t a laughing matter, and the whole experience hurt me a lot.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Elite Fan

I can tell a Dawson/Joey fan came up with the title of this thread.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow (View Post)

Old 07-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Administrator

I think that Kevin Williamson was both a creative innovator and a limited writer. As I said in my previous post, I think that Kevin Williamson and all the people who were involved with Dawson's Creek never expected the show to be renewed after the first season, which is why Season One stands out, almost like a mini-series, with episodes that built upon each other, and the season itself had a definite story arc that resonated throughout the season, with a beginning, a middle, and a very emotionally satisfying end. I will always believe that there was true magic to Season One of Dawson's Creek, and I've never been so enchanted by a television show, and the characters on it, as I was by the first season of Dawson's Creek. I truly believe that the seasons that followed Season One simply pale in comparison to the wonderful season that Kevin Williamson originally presented us with.

I also think that the show that Kevin Williamson presented us with in Season One was truly unique, especially in the way he used a cinematic premise to guide every episode, juxtaposing the story of these characters with the thematic elements of some classic motion picture to reinforce the point that we were seeing “reality” presented through a camera lens, both the camera lenses that were filming the actual show, and the camera lens in the mind of an idealistic film loving young man who believed that the best answers to life's questions could be found in the movies, and who believed that life, and love, could be “storyboarded” to get the “happy ending.” To be sure, the show has followed a cinematic theme in certain episodes that followed the episodes in Season One, but never with the effectiveness that we saw in Season One.

To me, what made Season One special and unique was far more than the story of Dawson and Joey. Dawson's Creek, under Kevin Williamson, told stories that we could all relate to, and you could definitely tell that a lot of care went into every episode that aired in Season One, and Season One had a definitive story arc where each episode built on the episode that preceded it, because the person in charge of the show had a vision for the show, and he cared about what he was doing, and the show reflected that.

I'll always believe that Season One was an autobiographical labor of love for Kevin Williamson, and that he never expected the show to be renewed, especially since it was a midseason replacement show, which traditionally never do well, so he put everything he had into those thirteen episodes, because he thought that would be it. I also think the fact that the entire season was scripted and filmed before the first episode aired made a big difference in the quality of what we saw on the screen, and the fact that the show was new and fresh to all of us factored into our favorable reaction to the show then, especially in hindsight, as we all tend to look back nostalgically on something we really liked, and we forget about whatever flaws the show may have had back then.

That being said, however, I do feel that Williamson lacked the talent and vision, or possibly the will, to continue the momentum that he had established in the first season, and the structure of the show changed from character driven drama, where the stories fit the characters, to event driven melodrama, where the characters were forced to fit whatever story the writers were currently trying to tell. I think the quality of the show declined precipitously, and I do feel that Kevin Williamson deserves at least part of the blame for that, as he basically abandoned his own show, and he left it in the hands of far less talented people than him, who in many ways ruined his original vision for the show, but perhaps its true that his original vision for the show ended at the conclusion of "Breaking Away" anyway, so he has no one to blame but himself for not committing to the show for the long haul, and walking away from it to pursue other projects. I basically think that Kevin Williamson’s true involvement with Dawson’s Creek ended after Season One, and even though his name was listed in the credits in Season Two, by then, he was involved in other projects, and he left everything in the hands of people far less talented than him, and the show suffered for it. Personally, I applaud Kevin Williamson for what he gave us in Season One, but I also blame him for abandoning his own show and leaving it in the hands of the talent less hacks that ended up being in charge of it. Let’s face it, Dawson’s Creek didn’t had a true leader at its helm since Season One, because unlike Kevin Williamson, who had a vision for the direction that the show should take, the only “vision” Paul Stupin had was to see what couple the next Internet poll told him will bring him better ratings and generate more dollars. Therefore, I think that Kevin Williamson was both a creative innovator and a limited writer, but he also was the only true leader that Dawson’s Creek ever had.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow (View Post)
I would wager a guess there's a good group of Pacey/Joey fans who hated the series post season 4. There's so many I've talked to who hated how they broke up and/or the Pacey/Joey season 5 amnesia ticked them off too. Some Pacey/Joey fans were not satisfied with the rekindling in season 6 and the ending because of what lead up to it. Some were, of course, but some didn't like it overall.

Dawson/Joey and Pacey/Andie fans got screwed over the most but as a whole, I think the vast majority of fans were affected by the dreaded triangle in some way and most would agree that the series took a huge turn after they moved the location from Capeside to Boston for one reason or another.

Be back shortly to say more once I get home!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Jerry, your last post is spectacular. Every word of it is fabulous. What gets me about Kevin is how he abandoned a series that was based on his life. Yes, he was gay but he still had this romantic crush on his "Joey" and to this day, they are still close friends. I just find it odd that he could leave that story for others to take and pick away at. I don't understand how he could go there. It should have been his "baby" because what a way for him to honor his special friendship with his childhood best friend. Yet, he was only interested in going there for one season. You are right, he put his heart and soul into season 1 because he figured it was only going for a season. He didn't know what to do or have any interest in it after season 1. He passed it off and bolted. It amazes me that he couldn't have at least been around for the main construction of each season. He could have produced the outline of each season or something like that. I mean, Berlanti was not heavily involved in season 3 Everwood. Yet he was in touch with the storylines and where to go with them. He was indirectly involved. You felt his presence very strongly again in season 4 which is why some of the best episodes of the series took place in that last season. But even when he was away, he was never far, unlike how Kevin was with Dawson's Creek. It is a real shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I also got my first computer in 1998 Michelle!
LOL That is amazing. It's like that year (the year Dawson's Creek first got started) got the both of us our computers so we'd find Fan Forum.

Wow, I had no idea Katie Holmes had a website like that back in the day. Was that website up for long? Whoever posted a link to Fan Forum is the best since it got you here and the two of us to meet and become friends.

Quote:
I really wish that you posted here back then, because you would have loved the discussions we had back then and you would have fit right in.
I really wish I would have been around back then! I wanted to discuss the show all the time. I did with my mom and a couple friends who watched but I felt the need to write about it extensively and back then blogs weren't really "the thing" and my computer skills were basic to say the least so I couldn't have found a blog even if it was staring at me right in the face. lol I really wish I would have found Fan Forum sooner and been a part of the group back in the early days.

Quote:
Everything changed in Season Three, and more and more Pacey and Joey fans joined the website and we had what we called “The Joey Wars,” and the Dawson’s Creek board became a war zone of DJers versus PJers. I look back now and I shake my head over how caught up I was in it all, but I also remember how mean-spirited some people were and how some PJers, led by my “lovely” co-moderator, organized a plan to get me removed as a moderator and kicked off of Fan Forum, but needless to say, it didn’t work, and all of those people are gone now and I’m still here, and not only am I still here, I’m the site runner! So I guess you can say I had the last laugh, but at the time it wasn’t a laughing matter, and the whole experience hurt me a lot.
Wow, that is so incredible. I can't believe your actual co-mod was so ruthless going there. That is sickening. You definitely had the last laugh! I remember when I first started posting, I immediately felt the PJ fans were playing mind games and I didn't like it. There was this very condescending attitude and energy that kept nagging at me. There was one PJer that said things to me in an indirect way that she knew I would only understand so it wasn't obvious enough for others to see what she was playing at. What she was playing at was being cruel and trying to do so in an indirect way. I took it to PM and told her if she continued to go there, I would report her. She stopped but was still cold and horrible in general to everyone with her attitude.

Alan, you are in the group of PJ fans who are nice and respectful. As you can see given Jerry's history and the little run ins I had later on, this fanbase could get dirty and manipulative. LOL
Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Jerry, your last post is spectacular. Every word of it is fabulous. What gets me about Kevin is how he abandoned a series that was based on his life. Yes, he was gay but he still had this romantic crush on his "Joey" and to this day, they are still close friends. I just find it odd that he could leave that story for others to take and pick away at. I don't understand how he could go there. It should have been his "baby" because what a way for him to honor his special friendship with his childhood best friend. Yet, he was only interested in going there for one season. You are right, he put his heart and soul into season 1 because he figured it was only going for a season. He didn't know what to do or have any interest in it after season 1. He passed it off and bolted. It amazes me that he couldn't have at least been around for the main construction of each season. He could have produced the outline of each season or something like that. I mean, Berlanti was not heavily involved in season 3 Everwood. Yet he was in touch with the storylines and where to go with them. He was indirectly involved. You felt his presence very strongly again in season 4 which is why some of the best episodes of the series took place in that last season. But even when he was away, he was never far, unlike how Kevin was with Dawson's Creek. It is a real shame.
Thanks Michelle. That's what I never understood. Dawson's Creek was Kevin's own story, so you would have thought that he would have cared enough to still stay involved with it.

Quote:
LOL That is amazing. It's like that year (the year Dawson's Creek first got started) got the both of us our computers so we'd find Fan Forum.
Yes, it's really a neat coincidence that we both got computers at the same time and eventually we made our way here and we became friends.

Quote:
Wow, I had no idea Katie Holmes had a website like that back in the day. Was that website up for long? Whoever posted a link to Fan Forum is the best since it got you here and the two of us to meet and become friends.
It was around for a few years, (maybe two or three years tops) but I stopped posting on it once I found Fan Forum. Fan Forum was so unique because it was, and still is, a website that's run by and for fans of different areas of entertainment. What's different now from the early days is that we had more posters that posted on the Dawson's Creek board that were more like the posters we have here on the Everwood board: a little older, a little more mature, and who loved to post long and detailed posts that discussed every aspect of the show. I miss those posters and those days. Nowadays, we're a lot bigger, and most of the posters are in their teens or their early twenties, and they watch shows I don't watch and talk about things that I can't relate to, so posting here now, except when I post on this board, is a very different experience from what it was then.

Quote:
I really wish I would have been around back then! I wanted to discuss the show all the time. I did with my mom and a couple friends who watched but I felt the need to write about it extensively and back then blogs weren't really "the thing" and my computer skills were basic to say the least so I couldn't have found a blog even if it was staring at me right in the face. lol I really wish I would have found Fan Forum sooner and been a part of the group back in the early days.
You would have loved it here then. We had some great posters here and some incredible discussions.

Quote:
Wow, that is so incredible. I can't believe your actual co-mod was so ruthless going there. That is sickening. You definitely had the last laugh! I remember when I first started posting, I immediately felt the PJ fans were playing mind games and I didn't like it. There was this very condescending attitude and energy that kept nagging at me. There was one PJer that said things to me in an indirect way that she knew I would only understand so it wasn't obvious enough for others to see what she was playing at. What she was playing at was being cruel and trying to do so in an indirect way. I took it to PM and told her if she continued to go there, I would report her. She stopped but was still cold and horrible in general to everyone with her attitude.
There were quite a few PJers like that back then. They were really mean spirited, sarcastic, condescending, and outright nasty, and they hated me because I didn't put up with their nonsense. That's why they tried to get rid of me. I'd be curious as to which PJer did that to you.

Quote:
Alan, you are in the group of PJ fans who are nice and respectful. As you can see given Jerry's history and the little run ins I had later on, this fanbase could get dirty and manipulative. LOL
Yes, Alan's always been a nice guy.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread