Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 05:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I love hearing your weekly rants, The Crow. Simply the best. And I entirely believe you about having no problem in filling up this thread with your thoughts on EVC.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Part-Time Fan

Although I have my problems (ranted about in several earlier posts) about the uneven quality of the recent writing, and the dramatic choices being made, I have nothing but good things to say about how Amy's character is being allowed to develop lately. She has been allowed to shed much of her earlier drama queen self-absorbtion (hey, I said most of it), while maintaining her quirky enthusiasm. She is developing a deeper empathy for others, thus allowing her to develop a caring friendship with Hannah. There's even a naughty smirk ("I think we should do it in the car") popping up here and there, illustrating her awakening sexual personna. But mainly, she seems to be developing new levels of strength and sophistication, qualities which should serve her well in dealing with upcoming bumps.
Depicting all of these developments is, of course, well within the range of the ridiculously talent EVC. Through the magic of my DVR, I can freeze the TV screen at any moment and get a DVD-quality image. While reviewing Everwood episodes, I find myself, during any EVC scene, pausing the frame several times and contunuing to marvel at the range of emotions Emily can depict effectively over a short period of time (the fact that the frozen images hightlight her astonishing beauty is, of course, irrelevant). A perfect example was the scene Monday night which began around the Abbott Christmas tree. She went from happy family tree-trimmer, joshing Dad about his Bingle obsession; to surprised delight at being grabbed by Dad to dance; to hopeful happiness thinking Ephram might be at the door. Then, her range of emotions during her conversation with Hannah was simply remarkable; bemused, shocked, sad, empathetic......all of this taking place in about two minutes. WOW!
The fact that this level of talent exists inside what may be the the most beautiful 18 year-old female on the planet convinces me that Everwood is only the beginning for this prodigy.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Elite Fan

You see...I read your post, MAKRO, and I think Gosh, I should have posts that talk about EVC's talent and sound all intelligent and stuff. Of course, then I realize that I couldn't say any of that any better than you did...so why try? I'll just stick to being my same old semi-shallow self. It's what I do best...hehe..
Old 12-02-2004, 10:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally posted by MAKRO

The fact that this level of talent exists inside what may be the the most beautiful 18 year-old female on the planet convinces me that Everwood is only the beginning for this prodigy.
Absolutely. And I agree with the rest of your post.

The Crow.. You always crack me up.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Part-Time Fan

Don't try to make me blush, The Crow.

Anyway, I hope the movie casting directors are watching Everwood these days. Since I don't foresee Emily doing many of the things most young actors do to get noticed these days (you know; drunken revelry at clubs, eating disorders, drug busts, clothing "malfunctions", home-made sex videos, etc.), she'll probably have to settle for being evaluated for future roles on her talent alone.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Elite Fan

Well, we know the directors of Ring 2 were watching, even though we don't know how big her part is.

I personally agree about EVC's character. She seems to be above some of the wilder behavior of some of her contemporaries. I might be wrong, but she strikes me as more in the mold of Katie Holmes than Paris Hilton.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I agree that she is more in the mold of Katie Holmes. I must say, I think Katie is a decent actress, but I feel that she is not anywhere near the brilliance that is Emily VanCamp. However, I feel like once Everwood is over, Emily will be the "next" Katie Homes as far as her movie exposure and how Hollywood sees her. However, it's during this time that I think Emily will instantly shed that "WB princess" type of label and she will hold her own as an outstanding actress. I think she has a huge opportunity to make it very big in Hollywood, if that's what she desires. In addition, how often do you see a drop dead gorgeous actress like Emily, who also is insanely talented? That is a very rare mix in Hollywood, and Emiy has it big time.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:48 PM
Elite Fan

Hmmmmm.

We're going to have to agree to disagree about that. Katie Holmes has been, far and away, my favorite actress since her debut on Dawson's Creek, so I can't, in good conscience, say that anyone is more talented than she is. I will go so far as to say that EVC is just as talented as Katie Holmes though. EVC has the same fresh faced good looks, the same down to earth personality (so far), and she has the same onscreen presence that makes me want to watch her. In short, she has the same luminescent quality that guarantees that, if she is in a movie, I will watch it, and, if she is in a magazine, I will probably buy it (even if it is Seventeen)....
Old 12-02-2004, 10:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Sounds good, The Crow.

For me, I personally always thought that Michelle Williams was the most talented out of the entire bunch of Creekers. I honestly thought that at times, Michelle was literally, held back from challenging storylines, because she was the "sidekick." In the small amount of good material that Michelle was given that could showcase her incredible talent, she blew me away.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Elite Fan

I agree that Michelle Williams is a talented actress, and she never really got any kind of storyline that she deserved. DC did seem to unfairly focus solely on Joey Potter at times (even I can admit that).

KH and EVC both fall into an elite category of actress of mine...there are a few actresses that I hold in higher esteem than others, for whatever reason, and I feel almost protective of them, even though that seems like too strong a word. A great example is Katie Holmes in The Gift. I was disappointed when I heard that she decided to go topless in the movie, and I get this almost brotherly urge to make her go cover herself up when I see that scene.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Katie did a nice job in The Gift. I think she kind of wanted to do something a little "risky" and that's why she went for it. I actually heard that her father was very bothered by that scene and Katie had to talk him down from being so upset over it.

Last edited by jediwands; 12-16-2004 at 02:51 PM
Old 12-03-2004, 05:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Katie and Emily to me are both great and in their acting in someways are simiar but u can notice the differences right away.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Part-Time Fan

I watched the pilot again last night; still one of my favorite episodes. I was reminded how quickly it became obvious that Emily was loaded with talent.
I've heard that she was still fifteen when filming began. For her to play the temptress in the fantasy sequence so well at that age was amazing. And the chemistry between her and Gregory is obvious from their opening scene.
I guess we shouldn't be surprised she is so good now.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Totally MAKRO. It was immediate to me from the very first scene, that Emily was a fantastic actress. I was instantly captivated by her endless depth of talent. I couldn't believe she was only 15. You're so right.. That seductive, passionate scene she had with Gregory was perfection. At 15? Incredible.

And the legendary chemistry that we all know so well between Greg/Emily became immediate from the very first moment they interacted at school in the pilot.

I honestly think that EVC is the best young actress out there. I have never seen better. She continues to amaze me each and every time she graces the screen.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:57 PM
Elite Fan

Okay. I'm mainly posting here because I found this thread waaay too low on the page.

Although...I have been watching season 1 again (through the magic of Netflix) and, I have to say, Ms. VanCamp was quite a striking creature even then. I had forgotten parts of nearly every episode I've watched so far, and it's kinda cool to rediscover the EVC magic (not to say that everyone else isn't magical too...just not as magical as EVC, and not as pretty ).