Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2005, 05:48 PM
New Fan

Dawson's Creek and You!

This is a survey that I have compiled to conduct research on TV fan culture and body image for an anthropology class I am enrolled in. It is of particular interest to me since I to am a HUGE dawson's creek lover. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Your name is not neccessary and if given will be kept completely confidential. Thanks ALOT.

*Sex:

*Why do you watch Dawson's Creek? In other words, what do you get out of the show; what do you like about it?

*How do you feel about the characters' personalities?

*How do you feel about the characters' bodies?

*How do you feel about the characters' lifestyles?

*Is there a certain character that you relate to personally?

*If so, were you always like this character, or did you grow to be like this character as you watched the show?

*Do you ever find yourself mimicking body language or dress of the characters?

*How do you feel about your body?

*Do you do anything to change your body? If so, what?

*Do you sometimes wish that you could look like the characters on Dawson's Creek?

*Does watching Dawson's Creek, the bodies of the characters, or the actions of the characters make you feel a certain way about your body?

*Ages 12-18: Has Dawson's creek influenced any of your views about sex, drugs, or alcohol? Has it influenced your participation levels in any of these activities?

THANKS FOR FILLING OUT MY LONG AND PROBABLY NOT TOO INTERESTING SURVEY!!! I WILL HAVE MORE INTERESTING THREADS UP LATER!!
Old 04-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Jer
Part-Time Fan

So far I have only watched up to the middle of season 2, but Ill still fill out

*Sex: Male

*Why do you watch Dawson's Creek? In other words, what do you get out of the show; what do you like about it?

I like how it is a real show based on real possibilities. If you watch other relationship based shows like The OC, you get everything and anything. The reason is because everyone wants shock value instead of a deeper meaning. But what a show like Dawson's Creek shows is that you can get that shock value in real life events. And by showing that people of that age group are more likely to talk about the show and it's issues. Plus I am a James Van Der Beek fan

I actually find the characters realistic. Pacey I think represents what every teenage male is or wants to be. However at the same time there is Dawson who represents the minority. The minority which includes people such as how I was as a teen. A person looking for the greater things in life like love and a career that makes you happy. Because of this it is often that those people get caught up in non realistic expectations. Things such as the perfect person, candlelight dinners, and impossible dreams. On the female side it's the same. Jen represents what that general teen female population is or wants to be. She has her wild yet gentle side just like Pacey. And Joey is the minority. The quiet, driven, and sometimes dreamer. As for Jack, I think he will represent more of the alternative. Someone who sets himself apart no matter how strange it might seem. (sorry just started season 2)

To be completely honest, I never really thought about that.

Well, I kinda explained this in my little character overview. I feel that the way people like Jen and Pacey live their life is misleading. And while the general teen population might want to be that or are that, it looks bad on their generation because things aren't always like that. But at the same time we have to realize this is a TV show. And a TV show that is centered on screen and off screen for teens. So the writers have to appeal to both audiences. If not the storylines wouldn't play out as well. Because of this you wouldn't have the daily school arguements of "who is better, Pacey or Dawson?" because there would be a set right or wrong. But on screen just as in real life, there is no set right or wrong.

You know, I love this question. I think when it comes to personality I relate to Jack most. He is quiet, has his personal problems, and he tries to connect with people on a different level. But then I think about the person I always wanted to be. A person who is fun, alive, occasional risk taker, popular, but at the same time keeps his goals and ideas. That person would be Dawson. So really I connect most with Jack, but I feel most for Dawson.

*If so, were you always like this character, or did you grow to be like this character as you watched the show?

I don't think this question applies to me because Im only a season and a half into the show, but to answer the question..it was a connection from the beginning with Dawson.

No, but Im interested to hear everyone elses answer on this one

Im fine with it. But I amnot fine with my overall appearance.

No

*Do you sometimes wish that you could look like the characters on Dawson's Creek?

This goes back to the answer of if I have a connection with a character. And the answer is yes. Not as much look like (even though it wouldn't hurt) but be. I didn't do much during high school and if I could go back and do half the stuff they did, I think I would be a lot happier now. And to have those personalities carry over to my college years..everything would work out different I think. And for me it is one of the things that makes this show more interesting on a personal level. Some watched this show in their early teens and saw what they want to be in high school, some watched it in their teens and in some ways "grew up" with the characters, but not many people like myself can watch it for the first time and be able to look back. That in itself is something magical.

*Does watching Dawson's Creek, the bodies of the characters, or the actions of the characters make you feel a certain way about your body?

About my personality and actions yes, about my body no.

Hop this helps
Old 04-25-2005, 07:17 PM
Master Fan

*Sex: Male

*Why do you watch Dawson's Creek? In other words, what do you get out of the show; what do you like about it? What drew me in was Dawson and Joey's relationship. I loved how they related to one another. I also liked Pacey's offbeat sense of humor and Jen being an outsider. I liked the broad range of characters.

*How do you feel about the characters' personalities? I love them all. I see a lot of myself in Dawson, being a dreamer, not exactly big man on campus. But Pacey's sense of humor reminds me of myself as well. I can relate to Joey being sort of downtrodden and indecisive and I can relate to Jen being the outsider.

*How do you feel about the characters' bodies? Well Katie and Michelle are hot.

*How do you feel about the characters' lifestyles? I don't really condone an early sex life like was portrayed on the show. Sex is about maturity and being a Christian, a spiritual thing. But I don't like to criticize those who choose differently. Everyone matures at a different rate than others. I really hate to criticize, because I feel hypocritical.

*Is there a certain character that you relate to personally? Dawson and Joey, all the way. Jen and Pacey are really different in the way they experienced everything. I like to overanalyze everything and talk, so I can really relate to that. I seem to make romance a hyperbole like they did as well. But, like Joey, I can be sarcastic and have an acid tongue.

*If so, were you always like this character, or did you grow to be like this character as you watched the show? I think I was always like that.

*Do you ever find yourself mimicking body language or dress of the characters? No, not really.

*How do you feel about your body? I'm fine with it. It was the way God made me.

*Do you do anything to change your body? If so, what? No

*Do you sometimes wish that you could look like the characters on Dawson's Creek? Not particularly

*Does watching Dawson's Creek, the bodies of the characters, or the actions of the characters make you feel a certain way about your body? Nope

*Ages 12-18: Has Dawson's creek influenced any of your views about sex, drugs, or alcohol? Has it influenced your participation levels in any of these activities? Nope. I think television (along with all media) is a good escape but I really don't model my life after it.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Master Fan

*Sex: Female

When i started watching this show, it was different then many other shows i have seen, just something about it was unique.

I like how each character has a different personalitly, which they are known for.

Um, hottness?

Some of the lifestyle choices that the writers made for the characters didn't make a whole lot of sense.

I relate a lot to Jen. Not just my personality, but a lot of what she has been through i have been through to.

As, i found out more about her character and her background i relized how i am like her.

All the time, like 'Bite me', and things like that, lol.

Im fine with it. Years of therapy will do that to you.

Just work out. Nothing major.

I wish i could look like Michelle, she is very beautiful.

Not really.

*Ages 12-18: Has Dawson's creek influenced any of your views about sex, drugs, or alcohol? Has it influenced your participation levels in any of these activities?

No, not really, before i watched the show i had set a limit for myself. So all this show is really used for is entertainment.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Elite Fan

I started watching because there's was something very special about it. It wasn't just about cheap laughs and soapie plots. The show had a heart, the visual setting was stunning, the soundtrack superb. Combine these with diverse and deep characters, witty dialogue, pop-culture references and good old teenage angst and I was hooked. I continue today as fan as I became emotionally invested in the characters and passionate about my shipper group. This is all supported and maintained in the cyber world where in many ways the show lives on.

I love that there are a range of personality types. Each has obvious strenghts and weaknesses and you can see how each balances the other.

Never really thought about it except in obvious scenes and then it was "okay, I could have me a piece of that "

Obviously not every choice they make in their life is what I would personally choose or even condone. The show attempted to keep each character true to their heart with varying degrees of success.

Dawson Leery.
We both grew up in comfortable middle-class home with two parents and later a younger sibling. I was extremely close to my father and lost him in my early twenties, like Dawson. I was also the idealistic dreamer at school that used a lot of big words and was always more content to stay at home curled up in a make-believe world of books, TV and movies. I was oblivious to other's feelings about me but overware of my own personality traits. I too have a very high standard that I set for myself and I often feel let down when others don't meet my unrealistic expectations or show the same passion and interest in a belief that I do.

I've always been like this character and so seeing someone else with such a similiar story made for fascinating viewing.

I came as Joey to a fancy dress party with a Dawson and Pacey in tow but that's it

Hee! It does me just fine.

Try to live a healthy life

Only an occasional appreciation of their looks but I'm too content with who I am to want to change

Not really.

Good luck with the assignment - wish I had projects this interesting
Old 04-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb D

I came as Joey to a fancy dress party with a Dawson and Pacey in tow but that's it
Hehe, hmmm, very interesting Deb, may i ask which one you are with? Your Dawson or your Pacey or neither?

I have a Dawson and a Pacey but they are not like the characters and they are not best friends.

Wow, i am like the youngest one on this board, hence the name Baby Britney. Clever.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Elite Fan

Britney, you shouldn't even have to ask...I'm with the Dawson and the Pacey just got engaged to a lovely girl.
I think there are a few people who have a Dawson and Pacey. I myself never really had that except for that one night
Old 04-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I think there are a few people who have a Dawson and Pacey.
I have a Dawson and a Pacey too! And I DUMPED the Dawson for the Pacey!!! LOL!

Pacey and Joey

Proud NikitaWitter Avie User
Old 04-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb D
Britney, you shouldn't even have to ask...I'm with the Dawson and the Pacey just got engaged to a lovely girl.
I think there are a few people who have a Dawson and Pacey. I myself never really had that except for that one night
Aww, seems like you have a bit of a Dawson/Joey/Pacey/Andie thing. Very cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLovePJer

I have a Dawson and a Pacey too! And I DUMPED the Dawson for the Pacey!!! LOL!
Why on earth would you dump your Dawson? The nicest guy on the face of the earth.

I don't necissarily have a Dawson and a Pacey, but, well. My dawson is my best friend, used to date, blah blah, first love, you know the story, now im currently dating this guy, Justin, he's really not a Pacey if you think about it though, their not best friends though, weren't friends till i introduced them to each other... But i think nobody can really compare themselves to another couple, each person has something thats different with their relationships and everything.

Ok, im completely off topic, sorry.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Elite Fan

I love going a little OT and besides you've given some very good insights there...
Old 04-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Extreme Fan

*Why do you watch Dawson's Creek? In other words, what do you get out of the show; what do you like about it?: I started watching Dawson's Creek because it was unlike any other show that was around at the time. I loved the idea of a triangle, and I was always rooting for Pacey, the loveable underdog to get the girl. Now I just watch it because it brings back a lot of memories.

*How do you feel about the characters' personalities?: I love how each of the characters are different in their own way, so there is someone for everyone to relate to.

*How do you feel about the characters' bodies?: Um... I feel very good about the character's bodies. Especially Joshua Jackson's.

*How do you feel about the characters' lifestyles?: What each of the characters ended up doing with their lives didn't surprise me because somehow they all ended up doing exactly what you expected them to be doing based on their individual interests, and just their overall personalities.

*Is there a certain character that you relate to personally?: Jen, because I've always felt like an outsider. I'm also very open-minded like she is.

*If so, were you always like this character, or did you grow to be like this character as you watched the show?: I think in the beginning I was the most like Joey, but as time went on, I grew to be more like Jen.

*Do you ever find yourself mimicking body language or dress of the characters?: Sometimes I catch myself saying Pacey words. Like "as per usual" and "not so much"

*How do you feel about your body?: I'm okay with my body. I'm not too chubby and I'm not too thin.

*Do you do anything to change your body? If so, what?: I try to eat healthy, but shouldn't we all?

*Do you sometimes wish that you could look like the characters on Dawson's Creek?: Not really although I wouldn't mind looking like MIchelle or Katie.

*Does watching Dawson's Creek, the bodies of the characters, or the actions of the characters make you feel a certain way about your body?: No.

*Ages 12-18: Has Dawson's creek influenced any of your views about sex, drugs, or alcohol? Has it influenced your participation levels in any of these activities?: No. I watch Dawson's Creek for entertainment, it doesn't affect my views or influence me in any way.

It's like infinite – it's kinda how I feel about us.
Jake&Peyton. Brooke&Lucas. Bright&Hannah.
Joan&Adam. Ephram&Amy. Clark&Chloe.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Master Fan

*Why do you watch Dawson's Creek? It's a nostalgia thing. I have a very true love for nostalgia, and I think DC captures the ultimate highs and lows and wishes and fears that teenagers have. Also, it's a great story: kids in a seaside town with their own personalities, and seeing how they relate. Each character has their own special magic, and seeing the love and envy and controversy that ensues is definitely something great.

*How do you feel about the characters' personalities? I can see each character in me, and this is something that Kevin had said, but I think it's something each fan can somewhat say also. Dawson is the dreamer in me, the spark of idealism and the magic of the movies, he shares my love for film. Joey is my sarcastic, realistic smarty-pants. Jack is my ever-present questioning of the universe and my place in it. Pacey is my hope and my humor in one. Jen is my broken-wing mentality. Andie is my overachiever, manic side.

*How do you feel about the characters' bodies? Pacey's a hottie. As the show got older, as did the characters, I saw a correlation between their age and the audience interest...I mean, as superficial as it is, when they were young, they were hot, and when they got older and not as fit, the audience who aren't die-hard fans will dwindle. I also think that Joey's IT persona/face was the motivation behind many of her storylines. Is that deep enough for this question?

*How do you feel about the characters' lifestyles? Very important to their personalities. I think they were all good kids with hard lives...and this was easy to relate to.

*Is there a certain character that you relate to personally? I have to say Dawson, even though he's arguably my least favorite (what does that say about me, haha), because of his unquenchable love for film, as well as his perspective on the world. I tend to want things to work out for the best, in a way that's really idealistic and hopeful. It's my downfall.

*If so, were you always like this character, or did you grow to be like this character as you watched the show? I actually came to embody this character, or realized that I embodied it, when I was watching the show. I was like "Whoa, I love film too. Whoa, I'm also an idealist. Whoa I live in fantasy-land like Dawson".

*Do you ever find yourself mimicking body language or dress of the characters? Absolutely. Especially Joey. I have the same inflection that she has, and I even use some lines of Pacey's sometimes. I'm way to wordy. And I definitely blame my DC obsession for that.

*How do you feel about your body? Um. I need to work out more. But I think I look all right on the whole.

*Do you do anything to change your body? If so, what? No, not really.

*Do you sometimes wish that you could look like the characters on Dawson's Creek? Yeah. I wish I looked like Joey, season one/two/three-ish.

*Does watching Dawson's Creek, the bodies of the characters, or the actions of the characters make you feel a certain way about your body? Um. I think Katie Holmes became wayyyy too skinny around late season five, season six, and it makes me feel better about my body, actually. I look healthy and feel healthy.

*Ages 12-18: Has Dawson's creek influenced any of your views about sex, drugs, or alcohol? Has it influenced your participation levels in any of these activities? Not really. It hasn't caused me to shy away from any of these, or to go out and actively do them. DC portrayed these things as natural parts of life, but also ways to escape from problems, and I think they were dealt with rather well.
i got stuck on the side you know i never chose
but it's all about taking the easy way out for you i suppose
Old 04-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Part-Time Fan

*Sex: F

I started watching the show the night it premiered, because I remembered all of the commercials advertising it, and it looked awesome! I was in high school at the time so I felt like I related to the characters, and felt I was dealing with some of the same situations, so in a way, my friends and I would watch to gain advice on situations we were going through. Now I find myself 25, and still just as addicted to my dvds! It's that feeling of love/angst, it just hooks you and doesn't let go.

I think they each have really strong and different personalities which compliment each other, you have Dawson the good guy, Pacey the bad boy, Joey the girl next door, and Jen the mature womanly girl, then you add into the mix Jack who's poetic and sincere, and Andie the smart/nutty one, and you have quite a recipe for teen drama

I never really admired the characters for their bodies, because the show was more than about appearences, although they were all too cute for real life high school!

I thought that Dawson was always too prude, I admired Pacey's free spirit, and how he helped Joey find hers, and I love how Jen always did her own thing as a nonconformist.

I guess like most girls watching the show, I related to Joey. At points in our lives we always find ourselves with a "Dawson" situation and can relate to her feelings, I went through one in high school, and one in college, so I always felt a closer tie to her and used the show as a guideline lol

I don't think I'm like her, I just found ourselves to be in similar situations at times

I remember when American Eagle was doing the wardrobe, of course I had to shop there! One halloween in college I went as Joey with my friend as Dawson, we had fun!

pretty confident, but i dont think it has anything to do with my experiences watching the show

nope (well unless a tatoo/piercings count) lol

I always thought Joey was pretty, but I wish I had Audrey's Clothes!!

I don't think so, at the time the show came out, I was already comfortable with who I am, the show didn't have an effect on me, I gather because I wasn't a teen viewer.

-Noelle
Twilight: Bella & Edward, the greatest love story ever told
**You're my life now**
Old 04-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

*Sex: F

*Why do you watch Dawson's Creek? In other words, what do you get out of the show; what do you like about it? I was about 14 when Dawson's Creek started, and I kept seeing the previews on TV, and it just HIGHLY appealed to me. When I first watched it, I found it very refreshing and well written, and I found myself really getting into the characters and their relationships. I loved the Dawson Joey Frienship/unrequited thing between them in season 1, and then I grew to love other relationships, mainly Pacey/Joey. I thought their relationship was beautiful.

*How do you feel about the characters' personalities? See, I liked Dawson's Creek because eveyone had such distinctive personalities. They were all so vast, But they were all so passionate about what they stood for. I loved how Joey was so sassy and opiniated, which is something I always envied about her character. I appreciated Dawson for his love of movies, and never afraid to keep chasing his dreams. I respected Jen for always being herself, and how she continued to mature and grow and grew into a really good friend who was always willing to give advice. I always loved Pacey for the harmless, adorable, goofball he was, but I really loved him when he fell in love with Joey, and we could finally see he was passionate about something. He was more than just a goof, and Joey brought this charming, and sincere person out of him.

*How do you feel about the characters' bodies? Um, I all though they had really good bodies.

*How do you feel about the characters' lifestyles? There lifestyle your pretty typical teenage life style. But every character had different standards on how to live their life. Jen and Pacey were more "free sprits" and loved the fun and carefree life. They didn't really thrive on responsibilty, but more than anything they just "lived from moment to moment" never really looking back. Dawson and Joey were a different story. They would rather sit home and watch movies on most nights when other kids were partying and I found that refreshing.

*Is there a certain character that you relate to personally? I would have to say Joey without a doubt. I was always tall like her at a young age. And I always felt insecure about that through most of my teen years. I am probably what you call a "goody-two-shoes", and I never saw the desire to do drugs or the need to party. I would rather sit home and watch movies with a friend, read a good book, going to a restaurant for a nice dinner, and stuff like that. I love to do simple things, and I guess I have a creative side like Joey. She loved art, and she loved English and writing, which is a lot like me.

*If so, were you always like this character, or did you grow to be like this character as you watched the show? I was always similar to this character. But as I got older, I could defenitely see the similarities more and more.

*Do you ever find yourself mimicking body language or dress of the characters? Oh yes, mostly when I was in highschool. That happens to me for almost every show I watch. I tend to like a certain style or personality of a character I love, and I found myself trying to be like them somtimes,

*How do you feel about your body? It depends. Somtimes I am happy, but most of the time I don't feel comfortable with my body. I always feel like I can look better.

*Do you do anything to change your body? If so, what? A good diet and Exercise. Over the years, I have found that nothing works better.

*Do you sometimes wish that you could look like the characters on Dawson's Creek? Oh yes, I always wished I looked like Joey. Though, at the same time, I had simliar physical features to her too.

*Does watching Dawson's Creek, the bodies of the characters, or the actions of the characters make you feel a certain way about your body? Um yes. When I feel bad about my body, which is often, and when I see them on screen, I find myself pretty envious, espeically when I was younger.

I know better
But I still feel you all around icon
Closed Thread   Post New Thread