View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 04:51 PM
eternalfate
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Will all due respect, Tia, Lester's version doesn't make more sense. For three reasons:

1. Lester didn't film the end scene in the diner, Donner did.
2. Lester's "magic kiss" is not one of Superman's established abilities. He's not telepathic and can't hypnotize anyone into forgetting anything.

The problem is that Donner's intended ending for Superman II was never filmed, so there was no way to put it in the Donner Cut of the movie. Originally, Superman was supposed to save Lois from being crushed in that fissure during the earthquake at the end of the first Superman, and the time travel gimmick wasn't going to be used until the end of Superman II. Lois was supposed to be killed during the battle at the Fortress of Solitude, and Superman was going to fly around the Earth and travel back in time to prevent Zod and the others from being released from the Phantom Zone in order to prevent her death. But the studio felt that the first movie's ending wasn't "climactic enough" and needed something more dramatic, so Donner decided to move the time-travel scene with Superman flying around the Earth to the end of the first movie, and he'd come up with a different ending for Superman II later on. He needed to finish filming the first movie to get it released in time for Christmas, and then he was going to return to finish filming Superman II.

But those moron Salkinds fired Donner for refusing to cut Marlon Brando's scenes from the second film(because they didn't want to pay Brando what he wanted), so Donner never got to film his ending for Superman II that he wanted. Originally, after the destruction of the Fortress of Solitude, the film was going to end with Lois and Clark back at the Daily Planet and Lois still knowing that Clark is Superman. With Jor El gone for good, Clark was now going to do things his way, and that would include him and Lois making their relationship work even with her knowing his identity, and that would set up the third movie which would feature Brainiac. But again, because of Donner being fired, that ending never got made, unfortunately. The Donner Cut is the best we can get of what Donner originally intended, but it's still just bits and pieces. The Superman II that Donner would've made will never be seen, sadly.
I know about Donner's film. That after probably like 75% of filming, he was fired which of course really upset Margot Kidder the most. Which is the reason for her limited role in Superman 3. So, since he didn't get to complete his film, some scenes are from Lester in the movie just to complete the Donner film.

I never agreed with the magic kiss, it was stupid for her to forget things, and the same mistake happened in that nonsense low budget movie Superman 4. Sadly the series was long over even before that movie...

Yes, I remember most of that besides the Brainiac thing. I watched most of the DVD extras and even the Donner commentary about it.

I was just saying when I watched the full movie, I felt the ending made more sense for Lester film, but probably I'll feel different whenever I watch Donner film again.