View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 02:22 AM
Slayerette89
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
My one critique is that we literally got no scene with Josie except her singing. I really hope that we get to see more of her soon because as the only black character on the show I think she deserves to be more in the forefront.
ITA. I hope they don’t just keep her around as a Sassy Black Girl token minority who lacks screen time and inner life. And I missed her insulting Archie.

As for the rest of the ep,

The good:

Either I just didn’t pay enough attention or there was no unnecessary propping of Archie, Betty and Veronica. No multiple comments about how hot and tortured Archie is. No multiple comments about how perfect Betty is. No everyone bowing down to Veronica and her cheesy lines. Though she definitely shouldn’t have been center during the cheerleading performance.

Betty’s characterization seems to be going in the right direction. She seems increasingly tired of her sweet, nice girl persona. Loved her mixed feelings towards Archie and Veronica too.

Veronica continues to be very charismatic and likeable. This coming from someone who almost always finds the resident Good Bad Girl/Poor Little Rich Girl a snoozefest of a character.

Shipping B/V more and more.

Cheryl has a spider/bug brooch? Hate spiders/bugs myself but that’s kinda cute. Somebody on this show needs to not look bland. I continue to enjoy her character. Idc if she gets a positive development or not. So long as she entertains me, we’re good.

Feeling Jughead a little more this ep. I’m closer to accepting him as the resident broody loner I root for.

Every show like this also needs the resident sensible parent and Luke Perry fits the bill. Eventually I’ll even learn the character’s name.

Betty’s parents and Veronica’s mom got a little less plastic. Either that or I already got numb. It’s the CW and everybody is plastic.

The bad:

Archie still bores me. Hopefully that changes because I usually actually like the Artsy Angsty Kid.

They just had to have a Dumb Bully Jock character. Hopefully they humanize him and/or make him entertaining.

All the cheerleading and jocking tends to be my least fave part of trashy American teen dramas. Sometimes it gets more bearable (e.g. I stopped even noticing it a few eps into TVD). Sometimes it gets insufferable (e.g. I still want to throw tomatoes at OTH’s little super!cheeleaders and jocks, especially in s3). To be clear, I have nothing against high school kids who are into sports (and I consider cheerleading a sport). Just the way they are typically portrayed on trashy teen shows and movies.

The pedophile teacher and her “romance” with Archie. His angle is sympathetic enough, even if he's being a little dumb about her change of heart. He thinks he found a soul mate because he’s physically attracted to her and shares a bond with her over music. Hers is not. Being a music teacher in a small town might suck but no need to have sex with children to escape the boredom. And I get she doesn’t want to get caught (hence trying to make him keep quiet by playing into his romanticized view of their relationship) but she shouldn’t have put herself in this whole situation in the first place.