View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 12:47 AM
L i N d $ @ y
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andorra (View Post)
Just the fact that Blake quarrels with Mary can't be all the reason for her to fall for him, surely!? Matthew was also very charming and nice and so clearly admired her, that it was easy to see even when they quarreld that he was in love with her. Blake was just snide and rude and condescenting and then suddenly changed to be her fan from one moment to the next and just because of a few pigs and immediately Tony Gillingham and he weren't any different any more. They're just two handsome, dark haired suitors, both well born and wealthy and I don't see a big difference.
Quarreling isn't enough surely. Blake is underdeveloped. A few moments here and there and they are already in the "love" level. I can say the same thing with Tony. That's the reason why I can't fully get on-board with them. Something is lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinebright (View Post)
'...........ship and let ship............

Well the Evelyn shipping (I hate that word) is really crashingly repetitive and goes around in circles. I like this board because it's mature and informative. If only we can avoid these 'shipping' that goes round in circles. The same arguments have made over and over again about characters who are barely given any airtime and whose story exist largely in people's minds. Can we just stick to what is on-screen? the story the Fellowes is telling rather than the one we wish he could tell? Just my thoughts.
Thanks (about FF and the posters). I enjoy everyone's arguments here. Otherwise if we all agree on the same things, it can get pretty boring around here. Unfortunately we can't avoid all this 'shipping' talk as this is what the show is about now especially in terms of Mary's love life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassothemoon (View Post)
She's a selfish person, I admit that, but she's also one of my favorite characters--because with Mary, nothing is simple. A lot of her caring actions are guided by her own interest but you could say that about anyone--because selflessness in and of itself is rare.

I do think she's being ridiculous about Edith but that doesn't take away from the fact that she has shown compassion and can show compassion. I feel like that's the main argument for this idea that she's a horrible person. It isn't that black and white.
Apart from how she treats Edith, I do find Mary a very interesting character. You can either love her or hate her, no in-between. I don't like how nasty she can be, how she basically just sits around and wait for things to happen. And would only do "something" if Downton is threatened. She's certainly not the best sister out there and because of that I do like that the character has flaws. She's JF's favorite? Well okay. It's not the first time a writer has a favorite pairing/character on a show.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.