View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 PM
L i N d $ @ y
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber's Daughter (View Post)
Yes, the heir thing was a big one. Pretty much the heart and core of the story. Once gone, it didn't leave much. However, I may be mean to Fellowes but I do think he is a lazy writer sometimes. He had plenty of time to come up with an exit for Matthew as dan rejected the continuation when they were starting filming and most probably had conversations regarding it even earlier - no producer will wait till the beginning of the shooting. I also found the writing for the character not so good from one point on. I would expect a self-respecting actor to not be very happy with same five lines in a whole season, so... I expected some outburst, though didn't want to believe it would be so... drastic.

Another problem for me was the lazy writing re: Mary's suitors in season 4. I felt Fellowes rushed this and didn't give the characters chance to develop, so the public can understand WHY Mary would like this one or another. Some men were thrown in the mix with zero motivation and development. Matthew and Mary made sense because they had time to show us how they warmed up to each other, how they dealed with obstacles, how they faced challenges to their love and finally made a decision. These new suitors just came to ask Mary to marry them (or at least thinking about it)... Huh. Lazy writing.
I agree, it was lazy writing. I know they keep telling fans that Dan's exit gave them more stories to explore but imo, they didn't forsee Matthew being gone in this series this early. The challenge was for JF to write how Mary should move on and if she will entertain anyone after her husband's death. Because the show only has 9 eps (including the CS), the writer has the dilemma to tell everything in such a short time. I felt that JF had time to really think about M/M. in S1-S3 but after that he didn't exactly know what to do anymore and just wrote what he thinks is probably the best story for Mary moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneybangelcakes (View Post)
Please add me! I'm currently in the middle of S3 for the first and oh how I love this show. Unfortunately, I know what happens to Matthew, but I'm still adoring every moment between Matthew/Mary. They have the most beautiful scenes together, Dan and Michelle play so well together. My favorite scene so far is either their proposal or before the wedding when they have that fight and Matthew comes to her room and apologizes and Matthew needs to kiss her, so they kiss with their eyes close Made me tear up. They're such a team.
Welcome and I've added you! Yes S3E1 had a lot of M/M stuff. I always re-watch that ep when I have the time. I love that scene by the door of Mary's room. That ep was just perfect for me.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.