View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 10:02 AM
FrellingTralk
Fan Forum Hero

Overall I preferred season 5, but I think season 6 was a decent season too. The first half (isn't that always the way with SV ) was especially strong with the intro of Oliver Queen and finally giving Lois more of a purpose on the show when she starts getting into journalism. Action was such a great episode! And I loved the intro of the Justice League and the Level 33,1 pay off

The second half I had problems with because of how Lex was written like a woman on a bad soap opera trying to use a pregnancy to trick someone into staying with him! I think it would have been much cooler if he was doing some twisted experiements with a meteor baby and attempting to justify it it to himself, that would be much more in keeping with what we are told will someday be a ruthless man who puts his business and his experiments before love (and would fit better with Lex's nightmares of a deformed baby in Promises). Instead the whole thing is just him faking Lana into believing she is pregnant Not only did it make Lex Luther look pathetic and desperate, it also really made you wonder about Lana when she completely brought the scan in Promise of a fairly well-formed baby, even though she was still as skinny as anything and wearing a corset in the same episode

I also didn't care for the abrupt re-introduction of the Clana, and then Lana and Clark kissing behind Lex's back even before they knew about the fake pregnancy. Planning to run away with someone who he believed was carrying another mans child was Clark's lowest moment for me, Lana's was blowing off Lex's last-minute nerves about should we elope instead and encouraging him to go the the aisle when she knew at that point that she was leaving him for Clark was her low point for me, and Lex's was when he was begging Lionel for help in the church and acting like a desperate fool. So Promise was not a good episode for me character-wise all round I also felt like Lionel's character was way too confusing this year. I wanted to cheer when the badass Lionel seemed to briefly be making a return in Promise, but then it was revealed to all be about protecting Clark and I just found it annoying that we had to accept him as the good guy when he so clearly wasn't with the way he treated his son

Actually I think they could have saved some of that storyline for me if they had handled things slightly differently. Like in Freak when Lana finds out about Lex's experiments, maybe if the show had played up more her feeling scared and trapped by Lex then the audience would better understand why she would want to run away from their wedding without a word to him, but the way it actually played seemed to be more about Lana just deciding that she loved Clark more and would rather be with him once she knew his secret and felt like there was now nothing standing in their way. And that was disappointing for me, at least they could have had Lana find out about the fake baby before the wedding to better explain some of her decisions

Jimmy's intro should have been handled better than it was too IMO. I kept waiting for him and Clark to become close and, other than maybe Subterrenean, it never happened which was a missed opportunity. His character missed so many episodes he felt like he was barely there most of the time! And Jimmy and Chloe I could have brought more maybe if it wasn't for skipping from the scene in Zod where they talk about getting coffee right to Wither and them making out in a car and then Clark walking in on them next day. It felt way too rushed, maybe more people would have become invested if the build-up had lasted...well anytime at all basically I felt the same way about Jason and Lana in season 4 where this new character was just suddenly introduced to us as Lana's boyfriend, those aren't the couples I ever care about if we don't get the UST and the build-up

Oh and I didn't like the intro of Chloe's meteor power, it felt too out of the blue to say that she been infected all along. And then they pulled it out to use a few times in season 7 before sweeping it all under the rug and saying she was cured now, so what was the point of it?

This is becoming kind of negative now I did enjoy the first half with the GA, I guess there's just less to rant about there than there is with the Clexana soap opera that year Nemesis I loved though, one of my favourite Clex episodes of the series as so much of season 6 was just about Clana or Lexana for their rivalry, whereas Nemesis brought the focus back to them as well and their lost friendship. And Lana being a total badass was a bonus too as she tortures Lionel and tries to find out more about the faked pregnancy, I wish they had kept that darker Lana around more in season 7 instead of trapping her on the Kent farm so early on

Last edited by FrellingTralk; 09-22-2012 at 10:09 AM
FrellingTralk is offline   Reply With Quote