View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 08:05 PM
alors
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong (View Post)
Well, I tend to be very wary of labels such as 'feminist', LOL (everyone has a different interpretation of the term!), so I assume that in a broad sense you mean that he generally supports or advocates equal rights and opportunities for women, or at least respects their wishes to be seen as equals. I don't know that I would label Jaime as a 'feminist' as such, but I have always had the impression that he doesn't see women merely as objects, or as vessels for producing children.
This is exactly what I was getting at. I certainly don't mean in the sense of the 1960s/70s era label of "official feminist"; I was thinking more along the lines that I'm not even sure he's consciously aware that this is his outlook, if that makes sense. That it's so ingrained into him by his upbringing, it's just who he is, part of what defines Jaime as Jaime. It's not a forced/false-seeming construct or personality trait for the sake of satisfying some literary checklist of diversity.

Quote:
Some early 'burn the bra' type feminists almost seemed to want to be men, and their behaviour and attitude alienated many people accordingly, including other women. Today, we have grown beyond that: there is no need to deny one's femininity and 'be' masculine in order to have and demand equal rights as a person.
Kind of like the post-sexual-revolution women who have careers, do what they want, when they want, would never consider needing/consulting a man on important decisions just because "he's a MAN" yet wrinkle their noses when asked if they're feminists and say "no, that's not me--I'm not a feminist"--because they don't even see that the stereotype of "official feminist" has evolved from not wearing a bra, not wearing makeup, not shaving your legs to where they are today and that by dint of their existence they are de facto "feminists".

Quote:
Jaime's attitude to Brienne is quite surprising, given the Westerosi society in which women are often seen as being traded off like sheep (or horses to be 'ridden' as required, according to Cersei). But it is also understandable, because the one woman who has had the most influence on his life until now is Cersei. And though I am reluctant to credit her with any sort of good influence on Jaime, you have to acknowledge that Cersei is 110% feminist, much of it the old "I wish I was a man!" style.

With his twin and lover as a woman like that, it is no wonder that Jaime doesn't see women in general as just goods to be traded, and regards them as people who need to be treated as individuals.
And yes, to your point about Cersei--I do have to give her credit for being much more of the self-aware, angry/bitter-she-wasn't-born-a-man feminist stereotype, and as his twin/lover, he would empathize with that.

Quote:
Certainly 'wench' is a disparaging term, but it's essentially a "who are YOU?" challenge to Brienne rather than an indication of seeing women as subservient. As he and Brienne doggedly trade 'wench' and 'kingslayer' insults, they are each demanding acceptance of themselves as people, not as mere labels.
I did not see "wench" as a "you-are-a-representative-of-all-females-and-I-do-not-respect-them-as-a-group" perjorative so much as a "I-find-you-to-be-an-irritant-who-happens-to-possess-a-vagina-so-I-have-this-handy-term-that-will-most-likely-annoy-you-and-that-pleases-me" term. It's name-calling on an being-assessed-as-an-individual basis vs. a categorical insult.

And as you point out, he understands the crime and horror of rape. As you say, given he is a product of Westeros, it is surprising he does, but he does. I'm curious how he developed this insight.

[snip]

Quote:
Of course, the biggest "Jaime is a feminist" example is when he gives Oathkeeper to Brienne and challenges her with the quest for Sansa. I love the way he tells her that she can leave KL and do whatever she likes, including going home to her father in Tarth. Giving her Oathkeeper plus a quest is the ultimate acceptance of who she is as her own person: the fact that she's a woman doesn't enter into it. I've always loved how he knew what she'd do, as we see in AFFC when Brienne reflects how well he'd provided for her with a really good horse, money, arms and equipment, and an authority from the King. Jaime knew her all too well and had obviously made plans accordingly.
Yes, exactly this. That a man--a Kingsguard--of Westeros would take a woman seriously as an knight at all--let alone give her a priceless gift of Valyrian steel--that just took my breath away and sealed the deal. He makes no differentiation between men and women and what they can and can't do based solely on their sex. That, to me, is what makes him a "feminist", at least as I understand the term.