View Single Post
Old 02-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Raja
Passionate Fan

I'm surprised this thread didnt pop up last year since last season (and a few eps of the second season)is when Lorelai's character was battered to the ground due to poor writing. And unfortunately whether you like it or not the writing IS the character.

Last year she became incredibly and almost unremorsefully rude. The most jarring example during the funeral last year when Lorelai's behavior was not only so obnoxious as to turn her into nothing more than a creep, but given past episodes believably "in character."

Rory escaped most criticism since she was the one apologizing and cleaning up after Lorelai. Though this season is when people began turning on her due to her extravagent gift/accolade/honor/acceptance an episode windfalls followed up by some unseemly whining this season. But that's a different story.

Lorelai though still impetuous at times has been much more subdued this season. In fact in some ways this season is improved on the last one (though not hard given how much I disliked it). I assume what brought along this thread was Lorelai's unseemly tantrum towards Luke which was very third seasonish.

To me it brought back memories of her display towards Max season 3 where she flirted with him even though she knew full well it made him uncomfortable. Basically rubbing his face in what she did to him before and promising him nothing more than the same abuse.

Lorelai isn't just showing a little jealousy at Luke. She is throwing a tantrum over him trying to move on with his life and perhaps find a little happiness. The only thing that seemed to give her comfort is when she saw he really wasn't prepared to move at the end of the episode and that he perhaps wasnt as happy as he claimed.

It's all about keeping all her options open even if she has no plans to pursue those options. All this while supposedly being in a relationship. Very selfish, very childish, not terribly likable. And enough that I've turned against a Lorelai - Luke pairing above and beyond the fact I dont feel any chemistry between the two of them anymore.

On the subject of unappreciation threads. Sometimes bad characters can be fun, but sometimes they are caused by the carelessness of the writers. And sometimes characters just wear thin on you as shows go on. But ranting is part of being a fan. After all, when you stop complaining... that means you've had enough and have probably changed the channel.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote