View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Jazz
Elite Fan

CRONENBERG FILM TO OPEN LONDON FESTIVAL

Eminent Canadian director David Cronenberg's shot-in-London crime thriller Eastern Promises will kick off the city's film festival in October. The drama, starring Viggo Mortensen as a ruthless Russian mobster, will get the coveted opening night spot at the 51st London Film Festival on Oct. 17 after a gala screening at the Toronto International Film Festival in September.

David Cronenberg to open London Film Festival
Last Updated: 12:01am BST 01/08/2007

Canadian director David Cronenberg's 'Eastern Promises' has been selected to open the 51st London Film Festival

Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts in David Cronenberg's London-based thriller, Eastern Promises

The London-based thriller will be shown on the first night of the festival on October 17, and stars Viggo Mortensen, who played the leading role in Cronenberg's 2005 hit, A History of Violence.

A harrowing chain of murder, deceit and retribution is put in motion when he crosses paths with Anna (Naomi Watts), an innocent midwife, trying to right a wrong she accidentally uncovers. Vincent Cassel and Armin Mueller-Stahl also star.

On hearing the announcement, Cronenberg commented: "I'm thrilled to be returning to the scene of the crime. Eastern Promises is the first film I've ever shot entirely away from my home in Canada, and it makes perfect sense that it is set in London, home of so many of my most potent film influences. I can't wait to be there!"

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove