Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Elite Fan

I know, alot of the articles don't have any pictures....but I try to post the ones that do!

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 07-24-2007, 07:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks so much honey. You rock as a mod on this board! I could never ask for more.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Elite Fan

There is alot of Viggo news just exploding everywhere so it's easy to find stuff for him now. It's all because of Eastern Promises. The anticipation for the movie and the Oscar buzz that's going around. It's more Oscar buzz than HoV ever got!

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 07-27-2007, 06:22 AM
Elite Fan

Cronenberg and Arcand at the Toronto Film Fest
Canada's Girard will present Silk, from a novel by Baricco
By Paola Bernardini

With a surprise appearance at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) press conference, director David Cronenberg shone a spotlight on his latest movie, Eastern Promises, which will be presented at the 32nd edition of the festival.
“We are still shooting, that’s why Viggo [Mortensen] is here with us,” said Cronenberg about the protagonist of his thriller. “Our work in London became front-page news; it became so hot that it turned... radioactive.”
The cast was in fact shooting near a building owned by exiled Russian tycoon Boris Berezovsky when some technicians detected traces of polonium, a dangerously radioactive element.
Viggo Mortensen, after a fortunate collaboration in History of Violence, was again chosen by Cronenberg. This time he plays a mysterious and pitiless Russian gangster linked to one of London’s most famous “families” of organized crime.
His life changes upon meeting Anna (Naomi Watts), an innocent housewife who accidentally uncovers evidence against the family. As is customary for Cronenberg (Crash, The Fly, Spider), this film doesn’t lack murders, double-crossings and vendettas. Also starring are Vincent Cassel (husband of Monica Bellucci), Sinead Cusack and Jerzy Skolimowski.
“Working with Cronenberg is always a great experience,” said Mortensen (Lord of the Rings, Hidalgo, Psycho, G.I. Jane). “We are wrapping up the shooting, but a lot remains to be done. As David said, we’ll be on time and over budget, as usual, but everything will be ready for the TIFF.”
Overall, 81 Canadian movies will be screened at the Toronto International Film Festival, which runs Sept. 6 to 15.
Another world-famous Canadian in attendance will be Denys Arcand with his Days of Darkness, starring Marc Labrèche. The Quebec director will premiere his latest work, a movie that borders reality and dreams, on the edge of an interpretation of our time as the returning Dark Ages.
Days of Darkness is very different from The Barbarian Invasions, which won acclaim in 2003 in Cannes (best script) and received an Oscar in 2004. Once again, the protagonist is the Mr. Nobody living inside each of us, who this time redeems his daily routine through daydreaming himself as a medieval knight, a star of political debates, an unrepentant Don Juan.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 07-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Elite Fan

One of the books that Viggo contributed to is FREE for a limited time!

Perceval Press - Twilight of Empire

You have to pay for shipping though!

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 07-30-2007, 06:19 AM
Master Fan

i hope he'll get an OScar for this one. he totally deserve it.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:33 AM
Elite Fan

Oh me too!!!! I'm psyched that it's getting so much attention. My friend said she saw the trailer and couldn't believe how good it looked.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 07-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz (View Post)
One of the books that Viggo contributed to is FREE for a limited time!

Perceval Press - Twilight of Empire

You have to pay for shipping though!
Cool.

Sasha
Old 07-31-2007, 07:40 AM
Elite Fan

You getting one Sasha?

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 08-01-2007, 06:27 AM
Elite Fan

London fest kicking off with Cronenberg

LONDON -- David Cronenberg's "Eastern Promises" will open this year's 51st annual London Film Festival, organizers said Tuesday.

The London-set thriller, written by Steven Knight ("Dirty Pretty Things"), reunites Cronenberg with his "History of Violence" star Viggo Mortensen and also stars Naomi Watts, Vincent Cassel and Armin Mueller-Stahl.

The plot centers on mysterious and ruthless Nikolai (Mortensen), who is tied to one of London's most notorious organized Russian crime families. The movie is produced by Paul Webster and Robert Lantos, co-produced by Tracey Seaward and executive produced by Stephen Garret, David Thompson, Jeff Abberley and Julia Blackman.

Pathe will release the film in the U.K. in the fall.

"It's hugely exciting that a director who has consistently thrilled and challenged us throughout his career has made a film in our city," festival artistic director Sandra Hebron said. "This gripping, powerfully directed and acted story of lives colliding in contemporary London is the perfect opener for our festival."

Cronenberg said he couldn't wait to be in London, "the scene of the crime," to share his movie.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 08-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Elite Fan

Eastern Promises is really creating a buzz, it's opening up at the prestiages London Festival too.

Cronenberg film to open London Film FestivalEastern Promises, starring

This year's Times BFI 51st London Film Festival will open on Wednesday, October 17, with the eagerly awaited Eastern Promises by acclaimed director David Cronenberg.

The film is a London set thriller by the multi-award winning film-maker Cronenberg, director of The Fly, Dead Ringers and Naked Lunch.

It reunites Cronenberg with his History of Violence leading man Viggo Mortensen, and also stars Naomi Watts and Vincent Cassel. The screenplay is by Steven Knight, whose previous credits include Stephen Frears' Dirty Pretty Things.

The plot centres on the mysterious and ruthless Nikolai (Mortensen), who is tied to one of London’s most notorious organised Russian crime families. A harrowing chain of murder, deceit and retribution is put in motion when he crosses paths with Anna (Watts), an innocent midwife, trying to right a wrong she accidentally uncovers potential evidence against the family, setting in motion a harrowing chain of murder, deceit, and retribution.

Sandra Hebron, the Festival’s Artistic Director said “It’s hugely exciting that a director who has consistently thrilled and challenged us throughout his career has made a film in our city. This gripping, powerfully directed and acted story of lives colliding in contemporary London is the perfect opener for our Festival.”

David Cronenberg adds: "I’m thrilled to be returning to the scene of the crime. Eastern Promises is the first film I’ve ever shot entirely away from my home in Canada, and it makes perfect sense that it is set in London, home of so many of my most potent film influences. I can’t wait to be there!"

The full programme for The Times BFI 51st London Film Festival will be announced on Thursday, September 13.

Cronenberg film to open BFI London
'Eastern Promises' to kick off festival
By ARCHIE THOMAS David Cronenberg’s London-set gangster thriller “Eastern Promise” will open the Times BFI London Film Festival on Oct. 17 before Pathe releases it in Blighty on Oct. 26.

The crimer reunites Cronenberg with “A History of Violence” topliner Viggo Mortensen and also stars Naomi Watts, Vincent Cassel and Armin Mueller-Stahl.

Program for the 51st edition of the festival will be announced Sept. 13. Fest closes Nov. 1.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 08-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Elite Fan

Viggo is being honoured the same time as John Wayne is!! Wow!

Screen legend JOHN WAYNE is to be posthumously honoured at the 25th Golden Boot Awards in August (07). The Academy Award-winning actor's son Patrick will collect the Founders Award on his father's behalf at the Beverly Hills, California ceremony. Wayne died in 1979. Viggo Mortensen, Eva Marie Saint, Martin Kove, Lee Horsley and the late Gene Autry will also be honoured at the 11 August event. The Golden Boot Awards were established in 1982 to pay tribute to those who have furthered the tradition of the western genre on film and television.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 08-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

that's great news, jazz. is eastern promises going to be part of TIFF this september too?

Old 08-02-2007, 06:14 AM
Elite Fan

Eastern Promises is getting the gala treatment when it comes to TIFF! It's definitely here. Gala Presentations here at the TIFF are usually Oscar predictions.

Cronenberg thriller opens London film fest

Wed Aug 1, 2007 5:48AM EDT

LONDON (Hollywood Reporter) - David Cronenberg's London-set thriller "Eastern Promises" will open the 51st annual London Film Festival on October 17, organisers said Tuesday.

The movie, written by Steven Knight ("Dirty Pretty Things"), reunites the Canadian filmmaker with his "History of Violence" star Viggo Mortensen. Naomi Watts, Vincent Cassel and Armin Mueller-Stahl round out the cast.

The plot centres on mysterious and ruthless Nikolai (Mortensen), who is tied to one of London's most notorious organized Russian crime families.

Pathe will release the film in the U.K. in the fall.

Cronenberg gangsters to open London festival

Staff and agencies
Wednesday August 1, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

The David Cronenberg thriller Eastern Promises will open the 51st annual London film festival, organisers said yesterday.

The film stars Viggo Mortensen, Naomi Watts and Vincent Cassel, and is set in London's crime underworld. Mortensen, who reunites with the director of A History of Violence on the project, plays the ruthless Russian gangster Nickolai Luzhin. Watts stars as innocent midwife Anna Khitrova, who accidentally uncovers a damaging secret about Luzhin's "family", setting off a murderous chain of events.

Cronenberg said: "I can't wait to be there. Eastern Promises is the first film I've ever shot entirely away from my home in Canada, and it makes perfect sense that it is set in London, home of so many of my most potent film influences."
Festival director Sandra Hebron said: "It's hugely exciting that a director who has consistently thrilled and challenged us throughout his career has made a film in our city. This gripping, powerfully directed and acted story of lives colliding in contemporary London is the perfect opener."

The movie is Cronenberg's first since 2005's Violence. It's written by Steven Knight of Dirty Pretty Things fame and will hit cinemas here in the autumn. Mortensen is currently filming the Nazi drama Good, which is due out in 2008.

Eastern Promises will screen on October 17, kicking off the festival, which will run until November 1. The full line-up will be announced on September 13.

Even the NY Times is reporting it!

Latest Cronenberg Film to Open London Festival

A David Cronenberg thriller set in London is scheduled to open the London Film Festival on Oct. 17. The film, “Eastern Promises,” reuniting Mr. Cronenberg with Viggo Mortensen, right, the star of his “History of Violence,” centers on a mysterious, ruthless man tied to a Russian organized-crime family who crosses paths with an innocent midwife (Naomi Watts) who is trying to right a wrong she has accidentally uncovered. The screenplay was written by Steven Knight (“Dirty Pretty Things”).

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 08-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Elite Fan

CRONENBERG FILM TO OPEN LONDON FESTIVAL

Eminent Canadian director David Cronenberg's shot-in-London crime thriller Eastern Promises will kick off the city's film festival in October. The drama, starring Viggo Mortensen as a ruthless Russian mobster, will get the coveted opening night spot at the 51st London Film Festival on Oct. 17 after a gala screening at the Toronto International Film Festival in September.

David Cronenberg to open London Film Festival
Last Updated: 12:01am BST 01/08/2007

Canadian director David Cronenberg's 'Eastern Promises' has been selected to open the 51st London Film Festival

Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts in David Cronenberg's London-based thriller, Eastern Promises

The London-based thriller will be shown on the first night of the festival on October 17, and stars Viggo Mortensen, who played the leading role in Cronenberg's 2005 hit, A History of Violence.

A harrowing chain of murder, deceit and retribution is put in motion when he crosses paths with Anna (Naomi Watts), an innocent midwife, trying to right a wrong she accidentally uncovers. Vincent Cassel and Armin Mueller-Stahl also star.

On hearing the announcement, Cronenberg commented: "I'm thrilled to be returning to the scene of the crime. Eastern Promises is the first film I've ever shot entirely away from my home in Canada, and it makes perfect sense that it is set in London, home of so many of my most potent film influences. I can't wait to be there!"

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove