Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Passionate Fan

Movies in Glorious Black & White, and Technicolor! (Classic Films Appreciation)

Okay, yay, we have a new thread. Here is my last post:

I watched Ninotchka and I have finally found the appealing Garbo! It was like she was actually acting a role from the first scene through the ending. And her character developed through it. She was likable! I cannot believe I never knew Garbo was this good. I need this movie. I kept rewatching the part where she laughs; she's so beautiful. It kind of retracts from it since the laughter was dubbed, but the facial expressions and how her character changed was all her. I wish she was this good in every movie. Now I can understand her appeal.
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Maliejandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:13 AM
Ultimate Fan

Hi [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

I'm kinda happy we made it to thread #2. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Ninotchka: I love that movie since forever and it was one of the reasons I don't completely hate Garbo. I still don't think she was beautiful, but I think she had some kind of charm in that movie that made me like her.
What other Garbo movies have you seen?

The last classical movie I watched was The Miracle Worker, by Arthur Penn, with Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke.
I was mostly impressed by the acting. Bancroft and Duke were amazing. Specially Duke: I never thought much of her, but this performance blew me away.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:03 AM
Passionate Fan

Hmm, what other Garbo movies have I seen?

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Grand Hotel- I love the movie but hate her in it. In a way, the overacting was effective because she got a lot of attention for it. Also, the character she played was in a perilous situation. However, read the book to like the character. She's just annoying in the movie.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Queen Christina- I don't know why Garbo was loved for being moody. She looked manly and constipated half the time. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] This movie was boring. There isn't much else I can say about it.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Camille- I saw this because they show footage of it in the 1982 version of Annie. I always wondered about it and wanted to see it. Garbo again seems to be overacting in it. But I think I could stand it to see it again. From the clips in Annie, I knew it'd be overly dramatic. Plus, Robert Taylor is nice to look at. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] The Joyless Street- Garbo was prettier before her American makeover. That is pretty much all I can get from this movie. All I remember about it is that the family is starving and has to wait in a food line and something about a man she falls in love with.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Flesh and the Devil- I didn't finish this one. It was boring to me. I know it is hailed as such a romantic movie but I couldn't get through it. It all seems like the people are just horny anyways and would take anything they could get.

And then Ninotchka which I loved.

I own The Gosta of Berlin too but I haven't watched it yet. I'm just not very interested in Garbo enough.
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Old 04-13-2004, 04:03 AM
Ultimate Fan

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Grand Hotel- I also love the movie. But I didn't like her in it. I think Joan Crawford stole her the attention she used to get all for herself. I don't think she "glows" as much as in other movies. Also, the overacting really bothered me.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Queen Christina- I don't remember much from this movie. I don't think I liked it that much.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Ninotchka: I love this one. I think it's funny and I liked Garbo in it.

I've also seen:
[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Anna Karenina: I like this movie. I like the novel, the characters and I like this adaptation. This is not an easy novel to adapt. I didn't like Garbo much in it because I always thought Anna was a fragile being. Garbo didn't gave me that feeling of frailty. I still like this movie, though.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Susan Lennox (Her Fall and Rise): I watched it because of a very young Clark Gable. Still, I didn't like the movie. I think it's weird and unbalanced. It is a mix of genres but I don't think it worked. I still loved to see Gable.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img]Mata Hari: another one that I love. I just adore the story. Garbo is great: she looks misterious, exactly how I imagine Mata Hari. I like specially the dance in the beggining.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] As You Desire Me: I don't remember much of it. I think it wasn't that bad, but not very memorable.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Conquest: I liked the ending. It was so sad and romantic. I liked the story aswell: I wasn't used to see Napoleon that way.

I always liked Garbo for her movies, but not that much for her acting and for her beauty. I don't think she was pretty and I never liked her accent, but, somehow, she managed to do enjoyable movies and I appreciate that.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Camille, The Joyless Street, Flesh and the Devil, The Gosta of Berlin: I haven't seen these.

[ 04-13-2004: Message edited Vitalogy ]
Old 04-13-2004, 06:48 AM
Passionate Fan

I want to see Anna Karenina. I was tempted to read the book in my World Novel class but then I changed my mind due to it's length. What really is it about? I'm not so into Russian history and I'm not too into descriptive writing and I figured the book would be a mixture of both.

I finally broke down yesterday and bought Metropolis. My sister actually sat down and watched half of it with me and she's anti- black and white, let alone crazy sci-fi silent movies. But I think she was actually intersted in it. The new Kino restoration is amazing. I look at it and think that it could have been filmed yesterday; it is that wonderful. I recommend it if you haven't gotten it yet. It is well worth the money.

I also bought Made For Each Other, my first Carole Lombard movie. It's very good and I really like Jimmy Stewart and it was in the discount bin; I couldn't help but buy it.
Also, the new Chaplin DVD set is out. The ones I saw didn't have a price tag but City Lights is included in the set. Since they started to sell the movies individually, I'll probably buy it that way because I haven't seen half of the movies included in the set.
Does anyone know if the edition of The Gold Rush in set 1 is the silent or the narrated (or maybe hopefully both)?
Old 04-14-2004, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Fan

Anna Karenina: I have seen many versions of that story and I think Greta Garbo wasn't the best Anna ever. I liked Sophie Marceau a lot more than Garbo as Anna.
I read the book and, yes, it's a long book. I like it mostly because it's about a woman fighting her passion. I just love it.

Metropolis: I haven't seen that in a while. I heard about the restored version, but haven't seen it yet. I'm glad to know they did a good job.

Made For Each Other: I have never seen this one, but I would love to, considering how much I like Jimmy Stewart. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Have you watched Limelight? I recommend it. It's my favourite of his movies. It's so sad.

I don't know about the The Gold Rush question. I think I only watched the silent version. I didn't know about the existence of a narrated version.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:05 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Vitalogy:
<STRONG>I don't know about the The Gold Rush question. I think I only watched the silent version. I didn't know about the existence of a narrated version.</STRONG>
I saw the narrated version first- the Image release. I really really liked it. It was as if Chaplin were in the room with you telling you a story. Then I saw the silent version because the ending is different but I liked the narrated version better. It was unique to other movies because it was so personal. My reactions to it were much more emotional too.

I watched The Crowd. It is very popular because of the scene where the camera scales up a building and then into the window where it focuses on one man in a sea of desks. They put hidden cameras in the city and used footage of real life people walking around. The story was pretty good and effective but the ending was kind of ruined for me in a documentary so it didn't hit as hard this time. I recommend it though. It really is a commentary on everyday life.

I reserved the movie Harvey with Jimmy Stewart from the library. I read a synopsis of it online and I HAD to see it. Basically, the guy's imaginary friend is a 6 foot rabbit and his family tries to get him committed. I can't wait to watch it.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Fan

I haven't seen "The Gold Rush" in a ewhile, but I'm sure the version I saw was silent. I should try to watch it again.

Lately, I haven't been seeing much.

I have never watched The Crowd but I have heard of that travelling before. It's very famous.

Harvey: another movie with Jimmy Stewart that I haven't seen. I should, really, watch more movies.

[ 04-14-2004: Message edited Vitalogy ]
Old 04-15-2004, 06:57 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Vitalogy:
<STRONG>I should, really, watch more movies.</STRONG>
Isn't it sad that we think that? All the old ladies out there are probably ready to beat any youngin who thinks that. haha
Old 04-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Fan

I never even made a list of films I want to watch because I don't think it would have an end.
There are so many James Stewart movies that I haven't seen. And Jean Harlow, and Vivien Leigh movies...
And I never watched a Harold Lloyd movie, and everybody tells me they're really good. It kinda gets depressing. I am just one of those people that want to see every movie and read every book. Crazy, I know.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:12 PM
Dedicated Fan

I haven't seen any movies lately. I feel like such a bad classic movie fan. I've really been in the mood for Audrey Hepburn lately. I want to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's really bad but I lost my copy somewhere. When I went to New York I actually visted Tiffanys and my friend video recorded me doing the opening scene in the movie. I'm such a dork, i know. I bought the special edition My Fair Lady dvd even though I already own a different My fair lady dvd. It's my favorite movie ever, what can I say? She really was an amazing lady, a true class act, and the most charming elegant actress of all time. At least in my opinion.

[img]smilies/rose.gif[/img] audrey [img]smilies/rose.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2004, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Fan

I also love Audrey Hepburn. She was always so elegant and charming. She was very beautiful. [img]smilies/love.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Angeli_Dean:
<STRONG>When I went to New York I actually visted Tiffanys and my friend video recorded me doing the opening scene in the movie. I'm such a dork, i know.</STRONG>
That totally sounds like something I would do! That movie is so good and she is so beautiful in it. I haven't been able to find any other movies I've really liked. I saw My Fair Lady, Green Mansions, Roman Holiday, and Funny Face but I didn't like any of them. I reserved Sabrina so hopefully I'll like that.

Vitalogy, I haven't seen an entire Harold Lloyd movie either. I watched most of Safety Last but not the whole thing. I've also seen clips from other movies. Its just that all the other actors I like seem to take presidence over him.

Today is Charlie Chaplin's birthday! Wahoo! I wonder if TCM is doing anything for it. They ALWAYS have Chaplin marathons.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:29 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Maliejandra:
<STRONG>Today is Charlie Chaplin's birthday! Wahoo! I wonder if TCM is doing anything for it. They ALWAYS have Chaplin marathons.</STRONG>
If they did, I didn't notice it. I don't think they did a thing for his birthday. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I like Sabrina. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I really like Humphrey Bogart in it and I never liked him much.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:49 AM
Addicted Fan

OK, you're like halfway through the new topic before I get to post [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I haven't watched much lately [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] But today I did see The Day The Earth Stood Still with gorgeous Michael Rennie as an alien [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] and it was actually a really good film, I loved it!

Quote:
I watched Ninotchka and I have finally found the appealing Garbo!
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I liked Ninotchka as well, a lot, but it didn't turn me into a huge Garbo fan. I also love Silk Stockings - its musical remake - which never seems to get good reviews, so it's a bit of a guilty pleasure [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img] but Cyd Charisse is just so gorgeous!

Quote:
The last classical movie I watched was The Miracle Worker, by Arthur Penn, with Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke.
I so want to see The Miracle Worker [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I actually have seen it...about 10 years ago! So I don't remember much and don't even think I saw it all. I love the story though.

Quote:
Anna Karenina: I like this movie. I like the novel, the characters and I like this adaptation. This is not an easy novel to adapt. I didn't like Garbo much in it because I always thought Anna was a fragile being. Garbo didn't gave me that feeling of frailty. I still like this movie, though.
Have you seen the Vivien Leigh version? I've seen three all up - and still haven't read the book [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] - these two and an obscure French/British co-production which was probably my favourite of the lot. Of the other two, the Garbo film was probably better overall, but Vivien Leigh made a far better Anna, if that makes sense?

Latest purchase: Good News with June Allyson, anyone seen it? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Profaine Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread