Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2015, 08:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
I still don't see the point of reading these books. Star Wars is an onscreen franchise. That trait of being onscreen, filmic, is an essential part of it. So in Star Wars only works that are onscreen have a chance of being the real thing. A Star Wars "novel" or comic has no Harrison, Carrie or Mark, nor any of the other actors whose performances are the real versions of the characters. All you get in a Star Wars "novel" is imitation Star Wars. Plus, the Star Wars Orginal Trilogy is a work of art. Movie tie-in "novels" are not works of art. One you can take seriously, the other you can't. Life is too short for me to waste time on things I can't take seriously.

This is a Star Wars books thread, but "novels" aren't the only kind of Star Wars books. There are sceenplays, makings of, books of art, etc. Why not discuss those?
We can discuss any type of Star Wars book. The trouble is finding others who have read them too and actually keep a discussion going. There have been many times I posted a review and no one else read it so they didn't have much to say and the discussion was quickly dropped. (Even on Facebook. Trying to find other SW friends who read Dark Disciple has been annoying difficult. I want to talk about it with people!!!)

You can talk about other books and I'll respond to the best of my ability.

Personally, I love reading novels. I read 25-30 different genres of novels a year.

When it comes to Star Wars novels, I don't need to have the original three to enjoy the story.
I have enjoyed many of the novels that didn't have them as main characters; the X-Wing series being some. When a SW novel is good, it is GOOD. And it takes a talented author to get the tone and personality of Luke, Leia and Han perfectly.

And I perosnally don't need to take something seriously to enjoy it. This is all genres. I have enjoyed fluffy fiction.
With SW I don't even care anymore if it's "Legends" or "canon", if the story is well told and I enjoyed it I consider that a success.

I can't say much about the screenplays. Anytime I start to read a screenplay I get really distracted. I need paragraphs with descriptions of feelings and settings. Just lines of dialogue is not enough to keep me entertained.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:21 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I don't know where to start. How many people here have STar Wars screenplays?
I think I had a copy of the RotJ screenplay but dont have the foggiest idea where it is now. Did it have illustrations of set peieces left out of the film? Does it include the novelisation dialogue between Ben and Luke about Ben being brother of Owen Lars, or any mention of it? ENLIGHTEN me, I want to learn!
Old 08-31-2015, 09:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Does it include the novelisation dialogue between Ben and Luke about Ben being brother of Owen Lars, or any mention of it?
I remember it said that in the RotJ novelization.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:51 PM
Absolute Fan

Isn't it interesting that Lucas may have dropped that dialogue from the finished film? I dont know if it was in the original screenplay thats why I say it that way.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
I think I had a copy of the RotJ screenplay but dont have the foggiest idea where it is now. Did it have illustrations of set peieces left out of the film? Does it include the novelisation dialogue between Ben and Luke about Ben being brother of Owen Lars, or any mention of it? ENLIGHTEN me, I want to learn!
That's not in the screenplay, but the Annotated Screenplays book has a discussion of that.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

So at what point was it changed and why?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

I don't remember the precise details. I think it was something they considered during filming but didn't go with, that got into the novelization instead.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I don't remember the precise details. I think it was something they considered during filming but didn't go with, that got into the novelization instead.
I wonder why they chose to not use it? Surely, they did not have any idea Owen would turn out to be Anakin's stepbrother by the time AotC was made?
Old 09-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

They didn't. As with most things, Lucas made it up as he went along.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:58 PM
Absolute Fan

That is what I thought. So it makes little sense that he chose not to establish Ben and Owen as brothers in RotJ. That and they never explored Leia's memories of being hidden by her real mother in her early years from the Empire..
Old 11-28-2015, 10:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

So I want to share some thing with you all. My voice!

An excerpt from Star Wars: A New Hope The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy by Alexandra Bracken. Recorded at the Penguin Random House Audio’s booth at Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim.

I was really nervous and made a few mistakes. I also talk way too fast for an audiobook, but it was fun. Just wanted to share it with a few friends.

https://youtu.be/TxGBDyjqqQ0
Old 11-29-2015, 02:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Ooh thanks for sharing that You did great!
Old 11-29-2015, 08:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

You sound different than I expected, Steph. Ok, thanks for that. Hearing your voice will help me understand you more.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I agree that I expected you to sound different
Old 11-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

Why they need a new novelization of ANH beats me. The old one didn't vanish in a puff of smoke.