Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2018, 07:48 AM
New Fan

I love the parallel of this set too! I just rewatched Things Past with my husband yesterday. Such a great episode, we both really enjoyed it. The final scene definitely reminded me of Necessary Evil.

I feel like (especially compared to Odo's response in Necessary Evil) Kira was being a bit hard on Odo at the end of Things Past. As she says, nobody's perfect and Odo didn't kill anyone on purpose. I doubt anyone could be a security officer for as long as he's been without getting it wrong once in a while. She already knew that he made the mistake of letting a guilty person go (ie. her) so should it really be such a surprise that at dome point he also convicted an innocent person (or three in this case but for the same crime)? On the other hand it does go to show just how highly she's always thought of him. She's clearly really idolised him rather than actually thinking of him as a fallible being.

Maybe that is one of the reasons she didn't consider a relationship with him?
Old 01-11-2018, 07:02 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARDISTequi (View Post)
I doubt anyone could be a security officer for as long as he's been without getting it wrong once in a while.
Exactly. sometimes circumstancial evidence can be pretty overwhelming, despite how diligent somebody is at trying to verify the facts.

Quote:
She already knew that he made the mistake of letting a guilty person go (ie. her) so should it really be such a surprise that at dome point he also convicted an innocent person
Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Quote:
She's clearly really idolised him rather than actually thinking of him as a fallible being.

Maybe that is one of the reasons she didn't consider a relationship with him?
hmm ... thinking of it that way, it makes more sense as to why she took so long to consider him as more than a good friend.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:56 PM
Supreme Fan

For me, I had mixed feelings about that final scene in Odo's office when Kira confronts him on his past. Simply because it was in that same office three seasons before that HE confronted HER, and forgave her. They both hid things from the other that they were ashamed of. There should have been a final line where Kira says something like Odo did -- that she knows what it's like to have something in your past you're not proud of, and it won't affect their friendship. If they had given her a line resembling something like that, then her strong defense of him against Rusot in "When It Rains ..." would make a nice call back to the final scene in "Things Past." She had long ago forgiven him for whatever he did during the Occupation, just as he had forgiven her for lying to him about her involvement in Vaatrik's death.

It might very well have been his earliest feelings for Kira that led Odo to be so determined to get justice ... which forced him to rush to judgement without verifying facts and evidence. If he still had doubts that he let the "pretty girl" go when he knew/suspected she was really guilty, he might have second-guessed his efficiency and felt he had to ensure justice was served on every other case.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 01-13-2018, 01:31 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

good analogy there Donna
Old 01-13-2018, 12:12 PM
Supreme Fan

Thanks!
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 01-21-2018, 07:23 PM
Supreme Fan

Hope it's okay to bump this ... but I just found out that NV is going to be at Farpoint in MD (Feb 9-11). Would love to see her again. Looks doubtful though -- my son and I are going to another con in March (ReGen). Spent plenty of money already for those tickets .
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 01-22-2018, 04:44 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

aww, you never know though D, could happen
Old 01-22-2018, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Donna - bumping refers more to posting within a few minutes or hours of yourself. When it's been a few days or more, it's fine.

Maybe you'll be able to find a way to attend both events. At any rate, I hope you have fun!
Old 02-01-2018, 01:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

source
Old 02-02-2018, 12:00 PM
Supreme Fan

You can tell that he was extremely pleasantly surprised when she said that. At first he might have thought she was being kind, but hearing her say that she truly meant it probably made his day.

All she has to do is smile at me and I'm happy beyond reason ... a minor disagreement between us and I'm devastated.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 02-02-2018, 01:30 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Oo that could be the title for the next thread
Old 02-05-2018, 07:42 AM
New Fan

Watched that episode just yesterday with my husband. We're finally getting to the best parts. It's so good.

Does Kira even realise what she's saying here though?

Seriously, it is one of the sweetest things she ever says to him and it's like she doesn't even realise the implications of it.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

oh, that line would make a good thread title!

Agree that Kira doesn't really realize what she's saying. Deep down, she knows that Odo has always been there for her, and that she enjoys spending time with him. She's just starting to understand that there might be something more than friendship between them.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Oh Kira wake up woman
Old 02-07-2018, 12:15 AM
New Fan

Watched A Simple Investigation yesterday and forgot there were so many parallels with Odos meeting Arissa to his first meeting with Kira. Both women thought he was trying to pick them up. When Kira says she thinks Arissa is very perceptive regarding his “bedroom eyes” It seems that Kira found Odo attractive too when they first met. With more parallels in the episode it seems there might be an insight as to how Kira felt about Odo and what might have happened between them if The circumstances had been different.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread