Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2017, 06:30 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sia (View Post)
I found his reaction strange exactly for reason you mention that he dated 12 years older guy. Although in the beginning his mum was not supportive of Brian because he was so much older (in scene with Justin and his father she mentions he should not be with Brian because he is already grown up man), even more reason he should have showed more understanding for Jennifer because he knew how it felt when his family rejected his love because of age. His reasoning was that his mom is older so different conditions apply to her? Thats ageism . Probably he was shocked, it was all new to him and needed some time to reconcile with it. Maybe even his breakup with Brian played some role. He was not fully happy so he ventured it on his mum? Because then the proposal comes and he has no longer a problem with it.
Yeah I felt he should've been more accepting of it. His mum and dad had been apart for a long time and he didn't like his dad at all. Is this another case of a character acting OOC for season 5? I don't know if it was a true showing of him - he got along well with his mother so i don't know.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:50 AM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmaldy24 (View Post)
Yeah I felt he should've been more accepting of it. His mum and dad had been apart for a long time and he didn't like his dad at all. Is this another case of a character acting OOC for season 5? I don't know if it was a true showing of him - he got along well with his mother so i don't know.
Yes, probably. I believe Randy was not happy with this storyline either. Acting in such immature way. I belirve even if he did not agree with it, he would not argue with his mother in such a way as we seen it
Old 07-29-2017, 07:11 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Yes, probably. I believe Randy was not happy with this storyline either. Acting in such immature way. I belirve even if he did not agree with it, he would not argue with his mother in such a way as we seen it
I certainly think he was much more mature than this - he had been living with Brian and in love with him for years, he had been through the bashing, been to college, been to LA, all these things and suddenly he sounds like a little boy again. I know it's his mother but it just doesn't seem like him.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:35 AM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I certainly think he was much more mature than this - he had been living with Brian and in love with him for years, he had been through the bashing, been to college, been to LA, all these things and suddenly he sounds like a little boy again. I know it's his mother but it just doesn't seem like him.
Would be interesting to ask writers for motivation for this storyline? Poor Justin was really tortured in final season.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

One of the things we've discussed over the years, is how rushed S5 seemed. There were so many BIG storylines going on at one time, that I think they got really jumbled. The last 3 episodes could certainly had been stretched into 6 and then MAYBE we could have gotten some REAL (in my opinion) resolution.

What do you guys think?

Quote:
It seems like both Justin and Brian were done quite a disservice in the final season.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:21 AM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥ Gale's Fragile Beauty ♥ (View Post)
One of the things we've discussed over the years, is how rushed S5 seemed. There were so many BIG storylines going on at one time, that I think they got really jumbled. The last 3 episodes could certainly had been stretched into 6 and then MAYBE we could have gotten some REAL (in my opinion) resolution.

What do you guys think?

It seems like both Justin and Brian were done quite a disservice in the final season.
Absolutely agreed, it was rushed and everyone wondered how things could change so quickly. Thats also why I think some fans did not believe Brian and Justin would stay together after 513 because for some people it was not persuasive enough. I have to say that even for me after first seeing 513, it seemed very pessimistic, only after I rewatched the show, read fanfics etc., I gained some more hope. If they knew there would not be s6, they should have cut some other storylines and focus on the more important ones.
Disservice to Justin and Brian was mainly because writers had other priorities, so they did not take so much care of evolution of these characters, some fans say that it was due to conflict between Cowlip and Gale+Randy, hard to tell.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥ Gale's Fragile Beauty ♥ (View Post)

What do you guys think?

Season 5 does seem rushed and there are so many things happening. I asked before on here about why the first season had 22 episodes or something and this one only 13 or so. I think each season could've been more episodes and there was a lot that could've been fleshed out more. Some stories were sorted out so quick and were solved in one episode and some went further but a lot of them could've been expanded and told us more. I think especially the ending was rushed - bomb, love, proposal, split, over - all very quick indeed.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Yeah that's what I was thinking too.

New question Do you think Justin was fair in his reaction to his mum dating a much younger man considering he had started sleeping with Brian when he was 17 and his mum had tried to be supportive even when she wasn't sure about it?
No I do not! I get that he wasn't used to seeing her with anyone but his father, but he was being highly hypocritical in attitude considering he and Brian got a significant age gap between them. Jennifer had to come to terms with her son dating a much older man, and if she could do it, so could he. Those highly intimate questions he was asking her about if he was effing her were quite awkward.

"We came for the queer but stayed for the folk" ~ Peter Paige
Old 07-29-2017, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SojournHeart11 (View Post)
No I do not! I get that he wasn't used to seeing her with anyone but his father, but he was being highly hypocritical in attitude considering he and Brian got a significant age gap between them. Jennifer had to come to terms with her son dating a much older man, and if she could do it, so could he. Those highly intimate questions he was asking her about if he was effing her were quite awkward.
Yeah I thought asking that was quite rude - that's not something that you go and ask about your mother - rude !
Old 07-29-2017, 09:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

I certainly wouldn't verbally be coming at my mother like that... eww

"We came for the queer but stayed for the folk" ~ Peter Paige
Old 07-29-2017, 04:59 PM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Yes, me too, it was not at all in Justins character, he was much more intelligent than to be judgmental like this and mainly he loved his mother and would have been happy that she is happy. Writers just went crazy with some storylines. I umderstand why Randy was not happy with Justins evolution in s5.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Fan

I remember the first time I watched season 5 - I already knew what was going to happen as I had looked it up and knew that things ended how they did.

Knowing how things ended probably made it different for me to watch than for people who didn't know what was coming and how it was going to end.

I'd had time to think about it already and I knew that Randy had said he thought it was good for his character to get some time in New York or doing things so that helped me a bit but then I started thinking about it from all different angles and ways and it still got to me that it wasn't a real we're still together I think. Brian was like even if we never see each other again - like that could happen. But I just don't know how it could happen. And I know people see rings as a symbol of marriage but they can also just be a sign of commitment or belonging to someone like they did.

I don't know - does anyone else remember how they felt the first time they saw it? Did anyone see it in 2005 and not know what was coming up?
Old 07-30-2017, 01:59 AM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I remember the first time I watched season 5 - I already knew what was going to happen as I had looked it up and knew that things ended how they did.

Knowing how things ended probably made it different for me to watch than for people who didn't know what was coming and how it was going to end.

I'd had time to think about it already and I knew that Randy had said he thought it was good for his character to get some time in New York or doing things so that helped me a bit but then I started thinking about it from all different angles and ways and it still got to me that it wasn't a real we're still together I think. Brian was like even if we never see each other again - like that could happen. But I just don't know how it could happen. And I know people see rings as a symbol of marriage but they can also just be a sign of commitment or belonging to someone like they did.

I don't know - does anyone else remember how they felt the first time they saw it? Did anyone see it in 2005 and not know what was coming up?
I saw 513 also many years later after show ended and knew the end before, i was too nervous and had to find out what will happen. And although I also knew that some people did not interpret it as end of their relationship, the final scene is so painful and persuasive especially due to Gales amazing acting skill that it did not give me much optimism. But it was logical that Brian was more much devastated than Justin because in general he was the one with more sceptical and pessimistic view on life and it was all knew for him, he just recently admitted his feelings openly, Justin was able to deal better with his emotions and also was sure they would see each other again.
I would also like to hear if someone saw it when show was aired
Old 07-30-2017, 02:39 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
I saw 513 also many years later after show ended and knew the end before, i was too nervous and had to find out what will happen. And although I also knew that some people did not interpret it as end of their relationship, the final scene is so painful and persuasive especially due to Gales amazing acting skill that it did not give me much optimism. But it was logical that Brian was more much devastated than Justin because in general he was the one with more sceptical and pessimistic view on life and it was all knew for him, he just recently admitted his feelings openly, Justin was able to deal better with his emotions and also was sure they would see each other again.
I would also like to hear if someone saw it when show was aired
Brian does look so devastated and alone at the end sitting on the bed and that smoking and just so alone . Justin did say we'll see each other all the time and you're right he was more optimistic than Brian. I have always said that it is harder on the person left behind as the person going is off having new adventures and excitement and seeing new things but the person left behind is in the same place living the same life and doing the same thing. It's very hard.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:46 AM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Brian does look so devastated and alone at the end sitting on the bed and that smoking and just so alone . Justin did say we'll see each other all the time and you're right he was more optimistic than Brian. I have always said that it is harder on the person left behind as the person going is off having new adventures and excitement and seeing new things but the person left behind is in the same place living the same life and doing the same thing. It's very hard.
Yes, and especially now when he opened himself completely to Justin. He was so vulnerable. But i dont beleive Justin would have said I would come back if he did not mean it. And I dont believe he would find other loe as strong and fulfilling as with Brian. Thats why I think they will reunite because their love was so unique that it could not be replaced by any other. AND fortunately Brian has good friends especially Ted, even Mikey and interesting job, it will keep him going till their reunite again.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread