Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Extreme Fan

Serena Williams Appreciation Thread - Nobody takes the court like she does!

Any Serena fans here? I don't think anyone can argue that Serena isn't one of the best [ if not the best ] in Women's Tennis. I'm thrilled that she is back and cannot wait to see her in action at the French in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:55 AM
Elite Fan

It sucks that she had to pull out of Berlin with her ankle issues.

Hopefully she'll be at full strength come Roland Garros.
-Bianca- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfamous Loser
It sucks that she had to pull out of Berlin with her ankle issues.
I agree! I was really looking forward to watch some great matches with her again
Jebony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Extreme Fan

Anyone have any Serena LJ Icons? I want to use one when the French Open begins but haven't seen any around.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Elite Fan

I can make you a few.

ETA:

I'm gonna make more, but I had made these two a while ago for a LJ:

Last edited by Unfamous Loser; 05-05-2005 at 09:25 AM
Old 05-05-2005, 11:00 AM
MST Manager

Those are cool, Bianca.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Extreme Fan

Ah! Snagging! Those are great!
Old 05-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Elite Fan

Here’s a few more:

I’m thinking about buying her and Venus’ new book.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm definitely snagging the second and last icons. Great job! Thanks for those. Did anyone see "The Life" special on ESPN featuring Venus and Serena? They're so sweet. Cannot wait until there ABC Family Reality show to air.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:17 AM
Elite Fan

I missed that (I have ESPN... issues. I only watch when I have to.).

When does the ABC Family show start airing?
Old 05-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Extreme Fan

The show is set to premiere in July so that's definitely something to look forward to.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Elite Fan

I'll have to check it out.

From here:

Quote:
Serena fit and ready to play
09/05/2005 16:10 - (SA)

Rome - Serena Williams is looking forward to getting her clay-court game going at this week's Italian Open.

The American says she is feeling fit after a series of injury-related withdrawals since winning the Australian Open in January.

"I'm feeling pretty good and I've been working on my clay-court game," Williams said on Monday. "I like sliding, staying back, it suits me. I'm excited to be here. I like the pasta, the pizza."

Williams is using this $1.3m tournament as a tuneup for the French Open, which starts in two weeks. She does not plan to play again before Paris.

"This is a good one for me. Then I'll get ready to play Paris," said Williams, who used her 2002 Rome title as a springboard for her only French Open championship the same year.

On the court on Monday, Italy's Maria Elena Camerin upset 10th-seeded Nathalie Dechy of France 4-6 6-1 6-4, ninth-seeded Elena Bovina beat Mashona Washington of the United States 6-2 6-2 and Colombia's Catalina Castano eliminated Tatiana Perebiynis of the Ukraine 6-3 6-2.

Williams, who had a first-round bye, has had a tough time since her Australian title.

She was forced to withdraw from the Paris Indoors in February with a stomach illness before her quarter-final match.

In March, she retired from her semi-final match with Jelena Jankovic due to a shoulder injury. Then in Miami, she lost to sister Venus Williams for the first time in four years, snapping a six-match winning streak against her sibling.

Last month, Serena Williams suffered a left ankle sprain during her quarter-final match with Silvia Farina Elia and retired after failing to convert three match points in a second-set tiebreak.

"That was a worst-case scenario, twisting my ankle on match point," Serena Williams said on Monday.

Venus Williams is also in Rome, although she is not playing the Italian Open. She plans to play in Istanbul, Turkey, next week.
Good to know she's ready to go again.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Extreme Fan

Was just about to post a similar article. Thanks for that! I hope she's able to have a good week in Rme. I'od love to see a Sharapova/Williams final.

I love how Serena recognizes the fact that she's nearly unbeatable when she's on top of her game:
"I definitely think so -- if I've trained hard enough and practiced enough -- I think it's very difficult for anyone on the women's tour to compete with me"
Old 05-12-2005, 05:35 AM
Elite Fan

Unfortunately she wasn't unbeatable yesterday.

From here

Quote:
Serena Upset in Opener at Italian Open

By ANDREW DAMPF
AP Sports Writer
ROME -- Looking slow and off her usual game, Serena Williams was upset by Italy's Francesca Schiavone 7-6 (2), 6-1 Wednesday in her opening match at the Italian Open.

Williams moved poorly and was overpowered by the 26th-ranked Schiavone, who had her all her shots working.

In the first-set tiebreak, an uninterested-looking Williams didn't even run for a drop shot by Schiavone that gave her a set-point chance.

"I couldn't get my legs moving. It was really weird. I've never felt like this before," Williams said. "I actually had a really good warmup right before the match and I thought everything would come together, but it didn't."

The crowd supported Schiavone and rained whistles down upon Williams, who seemed lethargic throughout the second set.

The loss extended Williams' run of misfortune since winning the Australian Open in January.

She was forced to withdraw from the Paris Indoors in February with a stomach illness before her quarterfinal match.

In March, she retired from her semifinal match with Jelena Jankovic due to a shoulder injury. Then in Miami, she lost to sister Venus for the first time in four years, snapping a six-match winning streak against her sibling.

Last month, Serena sprained her left ankle during her quarterfinal match with Silvia Farina Elia and retired after failing to convert three match points in a second-set tiebreak.

Serena was not planning on playing another tournament before the French Open, which starts May 23, although she said after the loss that she was going to rethink her schedule.

"I didn't expect this to happen," she said.

She had defeated Schiavone in their two previous meetings.

Serena, who used her 2002 Italian Open title as a springboard for her only French Open championship the same year, had reached at least the quarterfinals in each of her five previous appearances here.

Schiavone improved to 8-8 this season. The Italian is still seeking her first career title since turning pro in 1998. Williams has 26 career titles.

Schiavone was forced to withdraw from her first-round match in Warsaw last month with a left thigh strain. She returned to action by beating Meghann Shaughnessy in the first round here Monday. Serena had a first-round bye.
More time to prepare for the FO, I guess.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:42 AM
Extreme Fan

That's a miserable loss to a player Serena should've probably beat in straight sets. Rethinking her schedule is a good idea.