Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2017, 01:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

I know what you mean, Marilyn I have been in the US around Christmas time and it wasn't any fun. It's the same for Black Friday

I'm really happy it's still different here But you can see the tendencies.

I don't know how to say that without it sounding kind of mean or hurting for the US people (and apparently, I only have experienced Christmas in the US in Florida though it very well could be different in other parts of the country), but somehow here in Germany Christmas is something more religious... There is a craft that is specified of Christmas decorations and these are really beautiful, out of wood and other great, high quality materials. It somehow seems too much in the US, too much childish stuff... It's not like that here. The decorations everywhere, in town, in the stores, in the private houses are so different and I like them here a lot better.
Besides, the Christmas markets are super beautiful here and you'd really love it, Marilyn I'm sure of that. It's only kind of annoying that it's super cold here on Christmas markets and you're constantly freezing

For me, we are celebrating Christmas Eve, the 24th, with family and give each other presents. Then there are the 25th and 26th where you most of the time spend tons of time with family, too... Having great, traditional lunch here in Germany. Same about dinner on Christmas Eve. It's some special things that are served.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:25 PM
Elite Fan

No kris. It doesn't sound mean. It's how I feel to. Christmas is supposed to be about the birth of Christ. But this crazy thing we have made in this country where it's all about what you get and nothing else. It's a shame really. Yes it has become too childish where people don't even know what they are celebrating and it's all about Santa and the real meaning is forgotten. We're so crazy over here. People whine that there's a war on Christmas but they don't see the true war is when you lose the meaning because of all the ads and shoppingwnd focus on spending.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Christmas here is religious as well. Not for everybody of course but for a lot of people. There is a special celebration at midnight or late at night in the churches that lots of people go to.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

I really am afraid when I say something like that because I really don't want you to think I assume all people in the US are like that. Because I know very well that you're a lot different, Marilyn It starts with your political views, your general knowledge, what you hold dear and what you value. I'm happy you didn't get me wrong
And yeah, they forgot. And like I said, here they start to as well... I'm not a religious people but I love tradition when it comes to Christmas. And that's what I really wish for us to keep it.

Oh yes, a lot of celebrations in the churches here two... Late in the evening or even at midnight I'm not going there normally. We sometimes went to see a really modern and nevertheless containing classic elements celebration there. It was stunning.

So you guys, I might have tons of time the upcoming week again because like Miranda knows already, I've got a pleurisy again since Friday night and I need to go see the doctor tomorrow. Feels like a neverending story Welcome to my life.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Elite Fan

I love the tradition and beauty of Christmas. I like the simplicity that it should be. Kris I'm sorry you don't feel well.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

I love it as well I just would love it more if I could enjoy it but so far I'm sick the whole December already Next year I'll try again

And I was at the doctor's and she ordered me to stay at home again and she took blood to see if there are some viruses or bacteria in there that could have caused a pneumonia to see if she needs to treat me with antibiotics.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Did she say how long you have to stay home for?

I finally had time to put up my christmas tree today! I put up the other small decorations last week already but I didn't have time for the tree until now. So crazy to think that it is going to be christmas next week!
Old 12-19-2017, 01:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

This week. And since I have next week off I won't have to go back to work this year anymore.

Miranda, awesome to hear that you put up your Christmas tree! And it looks soooo beautiful! I put ours up this weekend and the other decorations some weeks before. Unbelievable that this upcoming weekend Christmas will start already
Old 12-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Elite Fan

Kris weren't you sick for Christmas last year too?
Old 12-20-2017, 10:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

So hopefully you will feel better soon so you can start work fresh in the year.

I can't believe it is almost Christmas!
Old 12-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes, Marilyn, I was It's obviously not my time of the year...

And my doctor called and I need to get back to her because my blood work showed a high volume of bacteria and I need to take antibiotics.

I really am looking forward to Christmas!
Old 12-20-2017, 02:13 PM
Elite Fan

You don't have long to wait.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Only two days of work and then Christmas weekend off!

What are your plans for Christmas?
Old 12-22-2017, 07:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

Today I have to get some stuff for Christmas still (some presents to be specific) and then I'll finally be done and just need to wrap it still

It's the same on Christmas for us as each year besides me not going to see Sascha's family because of the infection and the grandpa getting chemo and therewith isn't allowed to get infected at all.

We have lunch at my moms on the 24th and 25th and dinner these two days we normally have with Sascha's family. So Sascha will have dinner with me and then go over to his family and I will stay at home.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Sucks so much you can't go to Sascha's family now that you have the bacteria but it is probably too dangerous for Sascha's granda right?

But sounds good the way you are going to celebrate Christmas.