Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

1x02: "THE FREELANCER" Episode Discussion Thread (09/30/13 @ 10PM)

1x02 | The Freelancer
E P I S O D E DISCUSSION T H R E A D

x

episode synopsis
Red predicts an impending catastrophe rooted by the work of an assassin called "The Freelancer." Together Liz and Red go undercover to prevent his next target, Floriana Campo, from being killed. Elsewhere, Ressler and newly re-hired CIA agent, Meera Malik, who's been added to Red's private security detail, keep an eye on them from a distance. Meanwhile Liz considers what she should do next concerning Tom and the mysterious box she found hidden under the floorboards.

x

Last edited by Miranda; 09-03-2016 at 02:01 AM
Old 05-29-2014, 12:00 AM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for getting this up, Amy!

I will watch this over the weekend. And I absolutely like that Red/Liz scene in the OP.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

I finally got a chance to rewatch this ep. There is so much that I had forgotten

Dembe: he was a freedom fighter before the FBI contracted him to be Red's body guard. So that makes me think he may not have been a criminal. Also his only name is Dembe - he had no last name. I am glad I rewatched this ep because that answers two of the questions I had about Dembe They also said that Dembe had been Red's body guard once before which makes me think that they met when while Dembe was trying to stop human trafficking. Dembe must have been a former victim of the Everhart cartel since he had their symbol burned into his back like their other victims.

Red:
I had completely forgotten that he hired the Freelancer. I think he wanted to take out the Everhart cartel because of Dembe and what they do to all of their victims. But he really needed the FBI to help him get close enough to her. I feel like Red did a really good thing though so I can't really blame him for using the FBI and stringing them along to get them to play ball. When Red told Liz that everything she knew about her life was a lie, I wonder how deep the rabbit hole goes. Does it just stop with Tom or is it literally every facet of her life is a lie......

Meera: I had forgotten that Diane specifically appointed Meera to the team. Of course she was Diane's mole :face_palm: It all makes sense now. Also I thought that Meera was FBI this whole time when she was really CIA

All in all this was really good ep and I feel like I learned a lot that I should have caught the first time around
Old 06-02-2014, 02:00 AM
Moderator Manager

Finally rewatched the ep a while ago.

Ditto on all the Dembe bits! I forgot about that cartel symbol in his back and that Dembe's most likely a victim of human trafficking and perhaps Red wanted to help Dembe so he wants to take down Campo. Actually when Liz was profiling Red (during their dinner) it was spot-on but I think Red has changed over the course of the season and there's a number of people he trusts now and can consider his friends.

And Meera being the mole makes so much sense now because I forgot Diane 'hired' her. I too thought she was FBI. Now it makes sense that she's from the CIA and that the other agents barely know her.

I thought this ep was funny too, Red was on to Ressler: ..."no clumsy agents in the bushes." And then Red appearing at the FBI hideout van after Donald was blaming Liz for letting Red go.

Also, poor Harold and all his wishes being shot down by Diane. At the same time I also understand her reasons for not granting Red's wishes/demands.

And Red saying to Liz "what is with you with hotels & pens?"

Old 06-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Passionate Fan

Great episode. I think we now know why Red and Dembe's friendship run so deeply.

The kiss between Luli and Red was awkwardly amazing. The looks on Ressler and Liz's faces were hilarious!

The banter between Ressler and Red was great in this episode.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:02 AM
Moderator Manager

Dembe & Luli were two people that Red trusted the most, it was very evident in this ep. I like the last shot of both of them guarding Red while he was laughing & eating with some Chinese buddies in a Chinese resto.

Not enough Tom as obviously he was in the hospital. But that vid Liz saw where he was talking in a camera (for the adoption) was sweet.

This ep was just okay as I liked the Pilot more. Which is odd because I usually don't like Pilots.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:50 AM
Passionate Fan

Another interesting thing I had forgotten was Liz chose not to have a baby because she figured their were a lot of babies who needed homes. I thought she wanted to adopt because she couldn't have biological kids.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:28 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacie18 (View Post)
Another interesting thing I had forgotten was Liz chose not to have a baby because she figured their were a lot of babies who needed homes. I thought she wanted to adopt because she couldn't have biological kids.
Tom fell in-love with her because of this (amongst other things).

Old 06-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Tom fell in-love with her because of this (amongst other things).
I know he was technically "acting the part" but I think his words were sincere during that interview.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:51 AM
Moderator Manager

Subtle jab at this whole father-daughter theory show?

x

Old 06-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Master Fan

^ And another. As the Diane asks "Does her father have some kind of criminal record?" we cut back to Red (in the lie detector room) saying "yes." The writers are clearly throwing suggesting the idea even if we don't know what the truth is.

Quote:
Since Liz was adopted and so close to Sam I think she wanted to provide the same opportunity to have a good life the way Sam had given her that same opportunity.

Some notes from this episode:
This episode had a great opening. The glimpses of everything but Red's face paired with The Rolling Stones really set a mood for the show.

Red still has that dark edge to his attitude, I'm glad that as we've gotten to know him throughout the season he's become a more fun character.

Red "....working my side of the tracks" oh such choice words after a train crash
Old 06-10-2014, 03:41 AM
Part-Time Fan

I really liked to see where Reds moral compass is in this episode. He depises everything she does. I know one can argue about how he dealt with her, but at least he wasn't okay with her kind of business.

I'm sorry for Liz, because she was looking up to this woman (I forgot her name) and got so disapointed. I loved what she did with the taxi and the pen. Kick ass profiler!
Old 05-29-2015, 12:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

And another one updated I as well started to change the thread titles into what we have for all of our episode discussion threads lately

This episode as well had me on my toes with all that was going on and Red tricking the FBI in thinking he was getting them the Freelancer when in truth he was after Floriana... Man, she never was on his list though, right? It's somehow strange.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The OP looks really great! Thanks for updating Kris. I really love this episode poster!

What was the title before?

I never saw in it coming that Red was after Floriana. That was a shocker for me. No Floriana was never on his list. The Freelancer was.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

You're welcome

The titles of all the episode discussion threads were all so differently formated and I thought I could change that and make them all look alike.

I didn't see it coming either but it was a great twist. And I loved how badass Liz was back then, how she tried to save Floriana.

Besides, that was the episode that Liz had to make a decision. To a degree trust Red and mistrust her husband or go along as if nothing had happened and only think Red to be a criminal... She chose the other option and I'm still wondering why.